1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I could really use your input!

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Shakadoodoo, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

I got an email from a long time friend and I could use your input - I want to give her some valuable answers. Here is the email....

How should I respond - I think her and her son needs counseling - Have any of you dealt with situation?

2. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

No clue, Where did she send him "Away" to?

3. SoonerTerry

SoonerTerry Well-Known Member

Man, your friend needs help from a professional. Get it now, do not procrastinate for one second.

4. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

I'm not sure - I have not talked to her yet. I will soon though - I just needed some input to help me give her a good answer - I hate she is going through this.

5. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

That is my resolution but from what I understand she has done that to no avail.

6. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I have dealt with family members in depression, while is usually the precursor to suicide from everything I've heard.

School counselors (and perhaps clergy as well) are required by law to inform authorities if a student is suicidal for good reason: People who commit suicide don't do it without telling someone first. There are very few exceptions to that statement. Telling someone that they're going to do it is their way of asking for help, even if they say "Don't tell anyone" immediately afterward. That's code for "tell everyone." And if they get angry when you do, they will eventually realize what a bad position they put you in - facing a lifetime of guilt for not acting when their friend/family member reached out to them.

Thus, it is important to continue the dialogue. Counseling is one method, but I've also found that those that are depressed also need to talk to those they're familiar with that can relate to the problems they're having.

And of course, your friend will need love and support from others as well as she tries to help her son.

7. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

I can dig it - that helps!

8. badger

What helped someone I knew was meds, so in addition to counseling, it might also be a good idea to schedule a doctor's appointment. Unless you're a hardcore Scientologist or preggers, anti-depressants for the win. I personally do not take any more meds than prescribed or necessary, but if it's a matter of life or death, without hesitation, I'd get medicated.

9. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

I am responding to her email now - I will see what she has or has not done but what you told me is a good start.

10. Tulsa_Fireman

Tulsa_Fireman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

All answers are wrong.

The boy needs to knock off a piece and then his will to live will return.

Surely there's some teachers out there somewhere that are willing to contribute, right?

11. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

Wise people know what to ignore!

12. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Throw a leg for Mental Health.

Never heard of that one.

5-0

13. badger

Here's a site for teens that might provide some more professional answers:

Linky

The main points seem to be to encourage good health (sleep, staying away from drugs/alcohol, etc), good communication (including being around people as much as possible) and discouraging rash decisions.

Ever see Bowling for Columbine? Even if you're not a Michael Moore fan (I'm not particularly), I remember part of that was interviewing one of the creators of South Park, who was once a Columbine student. It's NSFW (mentions that the shooters were called f** and also uses the other f-word), but I think it summarizes high school for depressed kids quite nicely. Here's the clip:

[youtube]0dYtOOtfQtM[/youtube]

The pressure to fit in... the frustration with failure... the hurt from bullying, it's usually what was behind the people in my school having problems with depression way back when. Like Matt Stone said in that interview, kids sometimes lose sight of the fact that when high school is done, move away and move on. It might seem important to impress the popular kids today and wear expensive clothes and be the best at sports now, but it all ends after graduation and dorky rejects move on to greater things (or the ones that had their best years in high school stay in town and become boring losers, lol)

14. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You all are missing the most important question here.

How long did she have to ball till her whole body ached?

15. I Am Right

I Am Right New Member

Hmmmmmm, trying to get help from a Message Board?

16. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I know, I'll go to SoonerFans.com for answers to deep psychological issues.

j/k

17. jumperstop

jumperstop New Member

I mean I can see it being bad if he was asking about his own kid, but he's just trying to help give advice to the friend. I see that as being completely different.

18. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Who/what is a Prophet?

I'm serious, I really don't know what faith uses that title. Just curious.

I'd want the friend to know why this person made the statement about her son.

It is interesting to me that this Prophet seems to be pointing the friend to more secular treatment options. Perhaps the faith-based approach has been exhausted.

19. jumperstop

jumperstop New Member

I believe that's the "I'm crazy and too into my religion religion"

20. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Perhaps, but there are those types of worshippers in every flavor.