1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End of the BIG XII - THREAD FOR ALL REALIGNMENT DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Ruf/Nek7, Aug 9, 2011.

1. BASSooner

BASSooner New Member

BUMP

with all the BCS mess that just came about. What is your opinion about it? Of course that won't automatically trigger realignment (but then again who knows?)

PAC is pissed about their joke of a conference championship game with UCLA (6-6) and Oregon. Not only that, A 12-1 oSU, a conference champion gets passed up by an SEC team that didn't even show up in the championship game. Thoughts? My crimson glasses show the PAC-14/16 as a greener pasture and better press coverage than this conference. Just my two cents. I wonder if this will get the realignment gears to turn slightly...

2. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

So, I'm confused, by virtually every standard the Pac12 is a ****tier conference than the BigXII. One of the arguments of leaving the BigXII has been to get away from the ****tier schools (like us), so the remedy to that is to go to a conference full of even ****tier schools? Got it.

The Pac12 idea is insanity. Absolutely insanity. The football world needs a strong BCS conference in the central United States. Nebraska should never have taken its ball and gone home.

Chuck Bao likes this.
  3. BASSooner

BASSooner New Member

From the people's perception, yes. Incredibly sh*tty. Unfortunately, that is the college football world that we live in. The fact that we lost some high tenured universities hurts us in the long-run. This is Big East 2.0. As arrogant as this sound, conference affiliation would've been a driver in the BCS championship

4. MeMyself&Me

MeMyself&Me New Member

I don't think it gets anything turning. The Pac would have to feel like they need something new. However, they have the maximum two teams in the BCS that they can have partly due to their new championship game. The Big 12 only got one team in partly due to their lack of a championship game.

I don't know. I think Nebbish has to feel pretty good right now. They're 9-3 and playing in a January bowl. OU is 9-3 and playing in a December bowl.

Big East is in a much more desperate position. It's part of why West Virginia is willing to make the jump to the Big 12 despite bad geography and no historical rivals. It's why the Big East is trying to add ANY schools it can. It's why Notre Dame is shopping around for a new home for its non-football sports. Can't agree that the Big 12 is the Big East 2.0.

5. ouflak

ouflak Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

Big East going West

6. Bourbon St Sooner

Bourbon St Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

For the record, I still think OU and * head to the Pac once espn pulls the plug on the lhn.

7. MeMyself&Me

MeMyself&Me New Member

How's OU and Texas going to get out the 'grant of rights'.

8. BASSooner

BASSooner New Member

Heard those havn't been signed yet.

9. Russ

Russ New Member

Indoubt they ever get signed. Tu and ou want to head west. Just a matter of time.

10. BASSooner

BASSooner New Member

OU wants west badly
    ut wants to keep the precious lhn so badly

11. MeMyself&Me

MeMyself&Me New Member

Man, if TCU and West Virginia switch to the Big 12 under the pretense that it would be signed and OU and Texas pull the rug on it... seems like a big ugly lawsuit. Seems like about the poorest way of handling things as possible.

12. BASSooner

BASSooner New Member

Two things:

A tech fan from a mizzou fan board:
    "Mondo tells me that Deloss Dodds has been chatting with the Pac 12 about a UT move in 2013. Pac 12 will cover exit fees and work with espn. Details coming soon. I just thought you might want to appreciate even more, if that's possible, your move to the SEC."

Chip, total DB moron, tool of Dodds, etc., will start blabbing of this in Februray or March, provided things have advanced.

and #2:
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/coll...cle_577920ac-5a18-5b1f-aad5-cc4004f9958b.html

Let the Big 12 and Big Least merge already!!! Get us out of here Boren!!

13. trwxxa

trwxxa New Member

http://www.statesman.com/sport...12-2058838.html
    Texas will make between $19 million and $20 million from Big 12 revenue distribution this year, and ABC-ESPN has informed the league it'd like to move up their negotiations. "They want to talk early," Dodds said.

Texas remained committed to the Big 12 where it retains its $300 million rights to the Longhorn Network – Dodds said ESPN will push for contracts with local cable carriers and satellite companies again in February – and where it can remain in its bully pulpit.

Not sure what to make of this. It could be ESPN trying to lock in the Big XII before NBC gets its act together or it could be the next wave heading for the conference shore. I'm thinking the latter.

14. Soonerfan88

Soonerfan88 Well-Known Member

The majority of contracts for the ESPN family of networks is up in 2012 Q1, which is why they mention the bully pulpit. A lot of folks believe ESPN haven't really pushed the Bevo Network because they will not bundle it in with the rest and force cable companies to carry it or lose all ESPN stations.

And I think ESPN is already wary of the Comcast/NBC conglomerate and will lock in everything they can before the new channel gets rolling.

15. MeMyself&Me

MeMyself&Me New Member

If ABC is wanting to move up the negotiations, my first thought is it's trying to get that contract done before NBC or Fox has a chance to get in on college football. Lots of room on Saturdays on those channels and I know I'd love to see the Big 12 over there.

Second thought would be that they want to ensure that the Big 12 stays together so that Texas has a way of keeping LHN and re-upping the contract early would add to stability.

16. ELP Sooner

ELP Sooner New Member

17. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

Lost huge? On what? OU isn't hurting for money. OU has not been screwed out of a national championship game because of the conference it belongs to. So, ultimately, what the hell do you really have to be so upset about? What has OU lost out huge on?

18. ELP Sooner

ELP Sooner New Member

OU is being left behind. Forget NC's. That is over. Strength of schedule will doom OU. If you want to talk about $$...short term ok...long term not ok. Sorry but OU baylor or OU Tech aint the same to a network as OU UCLA or OU Washington. The other thing is that if OU got into the pac12...it would have been a avenue to get big 10 games...and let's face it...that is what OU wanted. They want the prestige of the big 10...and the money that goes with that. I am not blaming Boren or anyone...maybe nobody wants OU either stand alone or hooked up with OSU. All I know is that the league next year is a step above the Big East and equal to the ACC. Forget pac 12 big 10 or sec...forget it. Allegedly OU got what it wanted...a regional league. Hello SWC 2.0 Meanwhile other other heavyweight conferences are doing deals to play amongst themselves...leaving OU to play garbage. All OU needed to do to see how delusional Texans are is watch the Perry campaign. That guy thought he was presidential material. Nuf said. The guy is a moron and Texas as a state is delusional over it's so called importance. I'd rather be in a league that respects all fellow members vs this shotgun wedding where Darth Dodds presides over all of us while bellowing out to the world....But we are Texas and deserve special treatment. Meanwhile an instition like OU is treated as a second class entity...and we are supposed to be ok with it because....well Texas is special and OU would fall off a cliff if they didnt play Baylor, Tech, TCU every year.

Harry Beanbag likes this.
  19. Sooner5030

Sooner5030 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of staying in the B12 and improving it. We need a a strong BCS conference between the Rockies and Mississippi. There are two major issues though that I think are holding back the conference: The stubborn "10 Team make more money now" concept & the LHN.

FOX, FX, FSN or NBC/VS would like to get in the saturday CFB market. This includes a tier 1, 2 and even a conference network. FOX could easily pull this off now but we'd bring in more TV sets if we added a few teams that would extend our region....maybe BYU, UL, Pitt, UCF, USF.

I am beginning to realize that the B12 will never have a conference network because our #1 TV team already has its own. This is the worst part of our conference. OUr TV revenue growth will be limited to the usual year-year growth of just tiers 1 & 2. While other conferences are develolping successful conference networks and other revenue streams.

We also need to go to 12 even if it means splitting rev over 12 instead of 10 for the remainder of our tier 1 contract. We need the championship game.

just my opinion though. It has eveolved throughout this process and even this thread.

20. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Reading WVU message board, Big East must be giving them fits about leaving still. Claiming they have to stay two more years before released.