1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Blake. He didn't do it.

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by JohnnyMack, Oct 26, 2011.

1. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

2. he lubs dem kids though...

3. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I have no doubt that John Blake thinks that he is a good man... but I also have no doubt that Jim Tressel, Butch Davis and countless other coaches that violated NCAA rules perceive themselves as good men.

I have no doubt that he and his family have been through hell after being fired at his alma mater OU and then dragged through NCAA crap at UNC, and I can be sympathetic to that. However, if he is really worried about his character, he needs to just tell the truth and own up to what he did. If he violated NCAA rules, he should say "Yes." And if he violated them because he had the student athlete's best interests at heart, he should tell them that too, in hopes that the NCAA will change their rules for the betterment of their student-athletes.

Perhaps he steered players toward an agent that he had established rapport with because he knew that this agent would look out for the player and give him a good deal and good endorsements. He should tell the NCAA that. Tell them that establishing connections with agents is the only way to keep runners and crooked agents out of the locker room and in student-athlete ears during their amateur days if you're a coach or the NCAA.

Today, Kelvin Sampson can roll his eyes at the fact that the NCAA tried to sink him over texting and phone calls. Perhaps if John Blake stands up and say "your rules suck and here's how you can make them better" now, he will someday be able to roll his eyes that he was ever under investigation for ties to an agent.

Now... if he got agent kickbacks... that might be another story...

4. ouwino

ouwino New Member

i think there is a very slight chance that JB did not know he was doing anything wrong. he could have been lied to by unscrupulous agents by telling him what he was doing was ok with the rules. he may have believed it was ok. but, ignorance is no defense. he screwed up, got caught. now is paying

5. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

I'd have to think for a while to see if I could come up with something of less interest to me than whatever bullcrap John Blake's found himself in now. Maybe sorting driveway gravel by size. Maybe.

6. badger

Blake really should go the Kelvin Sampson route --- go to the pros for a few years, get away from the NCAA, and then maybe someday return to college, but not necessarily.

Someday, when he has re-established himself as a good coach at the pro level, he might be able to tell his side and have more credibility. Telling his side right now just looks like trying to save his livelihood, so he's less believable. If he had a good job in the NFL and didn't need the NCAA or a college job, perhaps people would believe him if he said he didn't do anything wrong and that he is a good person of high character.

7. Flagstaffsooner

Flagstaffsooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

8. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

Somehow I find it hard to believe that with the amount of NCAA compliance trainings these guys go to that John Blake didn't understand that steering a kid to an agent wasn't permissible. It's one of the biggies. It's not like accidentally saying a word too many when you bump into someone on campus, it's a big effing deal.

9. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Soooo, Boo is upset how the Sooner faithful treated him in the firing, was that before or after you destroyed the recruiting files and the players information leaving the Stoops team with nothing upon arrival???

10. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Some of these guys can't see past the money. Wasn't he supposedly getting a kick-back on the guys the agent signed? I can't imagine that he's hard up for funds, so I can only assume it was greed.

I believe that Blake loves the kids he coaches, and he believes he's a good man, unfortunately, his actions say otherwise.

11. nighttrain12

nighttrain12 Well-Known Member

12 wins in 3 seasons. That's all that matters about Boo Blake!

12. badger

What I learned from reading the article: Buy the home you can afford today, not the one you can afford after winning a football national championship at the University of Oklahoma :D

13. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Well....he pretty much came close to killing the OU football program. What type of reaction did he expect? He was around the program enough to know what it was like....he pleads ignorance even when he knows the truth.

14. Soonerfan88

Soonerfan88 Well-Known Member

So maybe OU should use this as a defense of the basketball program. Coach Taliaferro was just trying to help a kid get his transcript and get into college so he asked a friend to help. It wasn't even a gift, but a loan repaid by Gallon's mother. Never mind that it's against the rules for coaches to be involved in financial deals with either athletes or agents. It's all about helping those kids. Somehow, I don't see this sob story working with the NCAA.

Sorry, John I have no sympathy for you. Maybe some for your family, but none for you.

15. OUHOMER

OUHOMER SoonerFans.com Elite Member

No matter what the COI comes out with, blake is toast. No one will touch him

16. OUstud

OUstud New Member

FIFY

17. Partial Qualifier

Partial Qualifier SoonerFans.com Elite Member

No Quession

18. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

What a victim, he is...

19. soonerhubs

soonerhubs SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Winner!

I love how he paints himself as a sacrificial lamb when he did that to the recruiting files.

20. nighttrain12

nighttrain12 Well-Known Member

Never understood why the Sports Animal will mock (in good humor) just about every OU football coach including Stoops but not Boo Blake.