1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alabama's #1 Defense (statistically)

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Frozen Sooner, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

Just put together some numbers about Alabama's defense that made me think they're not as great as we might suppose.

Alabama is currently #1 among FBS schools allowing 181 yards per game.

Here is a list of teams Alabama has played. First number is yards Alabama allowed. Second number is that team's average in all games played. Third is their offensive ranking.

Kent State 90 avg. 180.57 #120
    Penn State 251 avg. 373.14 #78
    North Texas 169 avg. 292.43 #111
    Arkansas 226 avg. 466.17 #23
    Florida 222 avg. 353.71 #89
    Vanderbilt 190 avg 292.43#116
    Ole Miss 141 avg. 251.83 #117

It appears that the only top-flight offense Alabama has played is Arkansas, even discounting Florida's miserable offensive performance since losing Brantley. There's also the argument that all these teams have played Alabama, and some have played LSU, which would skew the numbers slightly. I don't think over six games it's THAT big a factor though. Glad I looked it up: although Alabama is holding everyone below their average, they're playing some pretty terrible offenses.

Just a thought. Alabama's defense is no doubt stout, but I don't know they're the world-beater people think they are.

TMcGee86 and IBleedCrimson like this.
  2. Frozen Sooner

And sb93, I better get some love from you for this.

soonerboomer93 likes this.
  3. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If one were to look at the same numbers from another perspective, it could be said that having played Alabama is the reason those teams rate so low offensively speaking . . .

4. Frozen Sooner

I addressed that point in the post, I thought. After six games, it shouldn't have THAT significant of an effect. I suppose I could go back and calculate what their offensive numbers would be without factoring the Alabama game, and see where that would slot. Maybe I'll do that. I'm bored.

5. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

from the title, i thought i was going to have to give you the "we've lost Froze :("

:biggrin:

6. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Don't know. I would suggest looking deeper. What rushing yards to Pass yards allowed? I feel like they wear teams down and the 2nd half numbers would tell a story. Then there's the all important red zone numbers.

7. WildBlueSooner

WildBlueSooner New Member

I would disagree...Alabama held those teams to these percentages of their normal total:
    1) 50%
    2) 67%
    3) 58%
    4) 48%
    5) 63%
    6) 65%
    7) 54%

The average % of a teams normal offense they hold them to is 58...that seems pretty damn good!

8. Frozen Sooner

[TABLE="width: 435"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 75"]Kent State[/TD]
    [TD="width: 75, align: right"]90[/TD]
    [TD="width: 49, align: right"]180.53[/TD]
    [TD="width: 49, align: right"]90.53[/TD]
    [TD="width: 56, align: right"]12.93285714[/TD]
    [TD="width: 56, align: right"]193.4628571[/TD]
    [TD="width: 75, align: right"]120[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Penn State[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]251[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]373.14[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]122.14[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]17.448[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]390.6[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]65[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]North Texas[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]169[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]292.43[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]123.43[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]17.632[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]310.0[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]108[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Arkansas[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]226[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]466.17[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]240.17[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]40.028[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]506.2[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]11[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Florida[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]222[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]353.71[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]131.71[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]18.815[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]372.5[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]80[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Vanderbilt[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]190[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]292.43[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]102.43[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]17.071[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]309.5[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]108[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Ole Miss[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]141[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]251.83[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]110.83[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]18.471[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]270.3[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]115[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

OK, the second to last number in each row is what they average without the Alabama game factored in. The last number is where they would rank in D-1.

The point isn't that Alabama's defense isn't good or doesn't hold team below their average. They are and do. The point is that they've played exactly one offense worth a damn all year.

TMcGee86 likes this.
  9. TXBOOMER

TXBOOMER New Member

They have a bad azz defense which is why I believe they beat LSU in a low scoring battle.

10. Frozen Sooner

Dunno. Maybe I'm just tired of hearing how OU's offense really isn't that great because we play terrible defenses in the Big 12. To me, that was convincing evidence that one factor in Alabama's defensive statistics is not playing anyone who can actually move the ball. Take it for what it's worth.

11. IBleedCrimson

IBleedCrimson New Member

i wonder how much yardage was acquired in garbage time vs when alabama was "trying". great info nonetheless. thanks frozen

12. Frozen Sooner

Eh. I think you have to discount that for almost any undefeated team at this point. Everyone's given up some garbage yards at some point.

The one that really sticks out to me (and worries me) is that against a team that has a ton of great receivers, an excellent QB, and a weaker running game they held them 200+ yards below their average. They absolutely dominated the one really good offense they've played.

13. boomersooner28

boomersooner28 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Any SEC team would crush us. I'm afraid of Kentucky.

Gawd please don't make us play a big bad bully SEC team. They might kill OUr poor kids.

14. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Not playing top offenses doesn't mean the Bama defense is not good. Just like Boise playing in the WAC/MWC doesn't mean they are not a good team. Just means they haven't been tested -- but as you also mentioned, they did face a good Arkie offense and held up fine.

15. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Alabama's front seven are not overrated. There is the rub. It's gonna take one hell of an O-line with endurance from hell to succeed against them.

The rest of the SEC...meh. LSU is dominating, but of the two, I'd consider them easy pickins.

16. starclassic tama

starclassic tama New Member

yea you can make stats say just about anything you want. alabama and LSU both have great defenses. better than any OU will see all season. but OU has an offense unlike any bama or LSU will see all season, which reminds me of the talk going into the 2009 BCS title game against florida. the difference is, i think florida was MUCH better that year than LSU or bama this year, and i think OU's defense is better than the 2008 version. i think OU is more likely to score on bama or LSU than vice versa, but only time will tell...

17. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

Looks to me like Bama's D is filthy. All teams held to more than 100 yards under their season averages except for Kent St., and that's only because Kent St. averages nothing in offense.

18. soonerboomer93

soonerboomer93 Dirty bastard

Is florida really that good on offense? I know brantley's out, but they put up what, 6 points on Auburn? Auburn isn't exactly great this year now that $$$ Newton is in the pro's.

19. soonerboomer93

Also the question is where they're giving up yards, is 'Bama dominating against the run, but not nearly as good against the pass? We know LSU has a stout line, but has some issues against the pass.

20. soonerboomer93

answers texts bitch, figured you'd be gloating about the chargers and the tebow situation in denver.

I fully believe Elway is just bailing the season, to cut Tebow and draft Luck.

Also, these numbers should be reviewed at the end of the month now that teams are in a meatier schedule. 'Bama isn't exactly playing offensive powerhouses. LSU has beat both Oregon and WVU which are better that what bama has faced.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011