1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Popeye's chicken saves the day

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by deweydw, Sep 25, 2011.

1. deweydw

deweydw Well-Known Member

I had to take my daughter to a wedding last night. It was about an hour north of Houston. So I needs a place to watch the game while she was at the wedding. I went to Buffalo Wild Wings in Conroe, Tx.. But all they had was all the ESPN games on. Plus the place was packed.

I was a bit upset having to listen to the game. So I went down the street to Popeye's. Found the game on the OU network. Game had not started yet. So I'll go inside and get some chicken and listen to the game. To my surprise, they had a flat screen in there. But it was also on ESPN. I asked them if they could put on FX. And they did. Sweet!!!

I must say, the chicken was a lot better than the first quarter. At half time I left to go back to where my daughter was. Frantically trying to find the game on the radio. Sitting in the parking lot, I found a station with the game. Very weak signal. It was a station out of Topeka, Kansas. On the way home, lost the game again. I was able to hear the score in the 3rd qt. Yay!!

Once I got close to Houston, I was able to pick up the OU network again in the 4th qt. One question though...

What the he'll happened to the defense?! Did they put in the 2nd string or what?! I think when you have good team down, you stomp on them. And if they try to get up. Stomp on them some more.

OU could very well lose the #1 spot.

2. deweydw

Plus I lost a lot of vcash on this game. D'oh!!!

3. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Had I been eating chicken in the first quarter, the combination of the grease and our D would have sidelined me for the rest of the night.
    As for what happened to the D, higher paid minds than ours will have to answer that. In the fourth quarter, maybe we were trying to eat clock, and keep them from getting behind us, which didn't quite work out. Franklin is also hard to bring down, which gave them extra time.

4. salth2o

salth2o New Member

1560AM carries the OU broadcast in Houston. You should have posted your delimna...we could have assisted you in a few seconds.

5. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We may lose some first place votes to LSU and Alabama, but I don't think we'll lose the #1 spot.

In any case, it doesn't matter. If we run the table and beat the SEC champ we'll end up #1.

6. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Problem is, we may have to play LSU as a home game (again)...even Bama will fill the Dome...

7. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i'll worry about that when it happens...

8. Flagstaffsooner

Flagstaffsooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And you'll get lost in the snow again.:smug:

9. pb4ou

pb4ou Moderator

We played 6 DB's the entire game. That is why Mizzou put up so much yardage & points. Plus, Mizzou is a good team, and they have have great players. Great players make great plays. The defense will be just fine. They will definitely be up and fired up when we play Texas.

10. deweydw

That's what I had it on when I went in to get the chicken. When I came out at half time, I could not pick it up until we got closer to Houston. Even in Houston it was a weak signal. But I will remember that next time. Hopefully there won't be a next time.

By the way, who is the coach on the radio doing the color? Sounded like they kept having to wake him up.

11. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

Unless we keep barely winning and slide down to third with two more dominant undefeated teams moving ahead of us. This day and age the mentality of "at least we won" is not realistic.

Although some of our posters sing the "Don't worry be happy" song, I am sure that Bob and his staff are not.

12. MyT Oklahoma

MyT Oklahoma New Member

Topeka KS? You sure? I don't think anyone there carries OU football games.

Wichita KS, however, is another story. That's the station that I listened to online while I watched the game on FX.

Glad things worked out for you though.

13. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I have Sirius to listen to the games on, of course no one carries the OU games on the radio here in Austin. We were on our way back from Colorado and listened to the first quarter until we got home.

14. deweydw

Yep, it was Topeka. They did one of those station identification breaks. And said Topeka. I don't remember the call letters. Sometimes with am, you can pick up just about anything.

15. A Sooner in Texas

A Sooner in Texas New Member

1560 is a weak signal. For future reference, any of you close to Houston on game day and wanting to know where to watch can go to the Stadia sports bar on Market Street in The Woodlands. That's one of the OU Club of Houston's watch locations each week.

16. salth2o

salth2o New Member

I live 20 miles NE of Houston and have often have difficulty picking up the station. :(

The coach is Merv Johnson. A former OU coach, who still helps out with football operations. He has been the color guy for a long time.