1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIRE CAPEL ! ! !

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by StoopTroup, Nov 24, 2010.

1. OUNC06

OUNC06 New Member

You are attacking the messengers of truth because Capel's record is indefensible. Look at the last 25 years of Oklahoma basketball success. Oklahoma has excelled since the early 80s, and the only conference team with more success is Kansas.

In light of history Jeff Capel is a major failure by Oklahoma standards. You can make excuses for his failure, but Bob Stoops and all other great leaders know excuses are for losers.

2. THE-JROD

THE-JROD New Member

You're thoughts are exactly in line with mine!

Top 4-5 conference, definitely has to be a winning record!, 18 wins is very reasonable and a great expectation to shoot for!, NIT would be better than nothin, but it needs to be a team that is on the bubble for the dance, for sure NIT. If that stuff dont happen, then just thank him for what he HAS done and send him on his way. I like the guy, but if he cant produce at Oklahoma then let him go and give him a shot somewhere else where he could possibly do well!

3. EnragedOUfan

EnragedOUfan New Member

Man I hope Capel is gone next season. The man can't coach for crap. 2 back to back losing seasons is ridiculous. 0-3 vs Texas? Hate to say it, but it looks like we'll be in for our 3rd losing season next year if this man is on the side lines. He couldn't even lead/coach this team to the NCAA tournament last season, and last season we had a somewhat decent squad with Warren/Griffin. I've always enjoyed OU basketball, but these constant losses are killing our basketball program. If we could, I'd say lets bring Kelvin back. D@mn.........

4. bigfatjerk

bigfatjerk New Member

If we are top 4-5 in the Big 12 with 10 we should be a NCAA team. I don't see us being that good because of the motionless offense we run.

5. soonervegas

soonervegas New Member

I am concerned that going to the tournament twice in six years would be good enough for some of you.

6. THE-JROD

THE-JROD New Member

Who ever said that was good enough?? Pretty sure the debate has been fire him now, or give him one more chance and another year. No one every said to keep him around cause he's taken us to the tournament 2 years outta 6

7. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Cade Davis says,

"I'm trying to make my answer nice," said Davis, OU's only senior who played his final game Thursday night. "I'd say that that they're not true fans and they aren't really focusing on the core values of what this program is built on.

"I think that this team has showed character and competitiveness and togetherness throughout the entire year, and I think we've done things that people didn't think we could do. I think this team is better than what our record has shown.

"I know that doesn't go over too well with fans, and they want wins and results. But I think this year was a big step toward getting this program back to where we were two years ago. With the players that they have coming back and the guys they have coming in, I think the program and the university have something very special to look forward to.

"In regards to Coach, I’ll stand up for him no matter what. He has my absolute utmost respect. I love the man to death. I think he's a tremendous coach, and I think he’ll have no problems and no worries about keeping his job next year."

-- Guerin Emig

8. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

I don't really care about Davis' opinion he was part of the losing too.

9. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

There are some posters on here that wouldn't care if the head coach of the bball team had 0 experience and knowledge of the game of basketball...they would support him and say 1 more year (every year) simply because its the ou head coach...homers.

10. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

name some. you might as well get it out there.

11. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

No offense but what would you expect Cade to say? I honestly thin he is a good guy...doesn't go crazy like Martin...of course the guys are going to love him...but he doesn't get paid to have his team love him.

Take the 2 tourney games....Baylor..wow..we played great...MOVED THE BALL, set picks...rebounded...the horns...same ol crap....I know sometimes shots fall and don't..but the team looked totally unprepared....just my 2 cents worth.

12. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

**** off, dip ****!

13. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

I would say that these are reasonable expectations. I would like to see us get to the NCAA tourny but know we still don't have the talent level. A winning season and some sort of postseason play would keep his job.

14. Ton Loc

Ton Loc Well-Known Member

What happened to all the reasonable expectations we had before the season? Anything happen this year that truly surprised anyone? The losses surprised you?

They finished right about where most knowledgeable people figured they would. Outside that loss the chaminade and tech I'm not sure what you're complaining about. We had a rag tag team that busted their asses the entire year. Capel did a good job coaching this year.

If they were going to fire him they should have done it last year. They didn't, and nothing that happened this year should have surprised them.

I think I'll take Cade's opinion over all the new d-bags in here.

15. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

^^^^^

This team actually exceeded expectations this year. The haters are pathetic around here. And to you pappy, yes, I am a homer. I'm much happier being one than you are being a POS whiney haterbitch.

16. The Maestro

The Maestro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Well, this is the first time I have been on the basketball board in years...and as a lifelong Sooner I say good riddance to Capel. He has made OU basketball unwatchable. Sports = entertainment. THAT is not entertaining. Hell, I have jokingly said I would hire Paul Westhead or some Mike D'Antoni disciple to get OU back to run and gun, which = FUN!

College basketball, as a whole, is a shell of its former self. Players jumping straight to the NBA and now just staying one year has killed the game. I used to could name you the starting five's for the top 20 teams in the country. Now I can't name you the five best players in the country.

OU will always be a football first school. If the hoops program wants to have any interest, be INTERESTing!

As a coach, the bottom line is always winning and losing. Period. There is a reason Jim Tressel still has a job today. And Capel is not cutting it. He must not know how to evaluate talent, recruit well, develop talent and find a defined system so the team and the fans KNOW what OU basketball is about.

I appreciate Cade Davis sticking up for his team and his coach. But "togetherness" is also a quality of many things that don't involve winning basketball games, and that is what the OU basketball team is supposed to do more times than it loses games. There is enough tradition and the fan base is loyal enough to show up and make noise when the team is relevant. They aren't...and they aren't headed in that direction, either.

Capel had his shot...minus the greatest freak to come through Norman in decades he failed miserably. Thanks for the effort...here's the door. Capel apologists can dust off their "Bring Back Blake" and "Give the Colonel One More Shot" threads from days gone by...OU is about winning and it is time to find someone who can get that done. Capel had his chance.

17. The Maestro

The Maestro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Just askin'...isn't that accepting mediocrity?

That's like some fat guy losing two pounds this year and saying it was improvement. The team is boring and unwatchable.

18. sooner518

sooner518 New Member

how did they look unprepared? do you think Capel didn't hammer it into them to get the ball inside to Fitz? do you think he told them to settle for outside jumpshots instead of driving into the lane?

all the preparation in the world cant make up for the talent gap between UT and us. playing against an aggressive defensive team, that is miles ahead of you athletically, the game speeds up to where you're struggling to dribble down the court at times. there's no scheme or preparation that will make up for that despite what the jackholes on ESPN will tell you.

were we "prepared" for Baylor but "unprepared" for Texas? did we all of a sudden forget how to play in the span of 24 hours, or is Texas just bigger, faster, and more talented?

blame Capel for the talent disparity if you want, but this unprepared argument is just a fluff argument.

19. TopDawg

TopDawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I've heard differently. Where did you hear that he was coming to OU no matter who the coach was?

20. 3rdgensooner

3rdgensooner What?

I'm with Ton.