1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Republicans do what Jesus would do?

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Shakadoodoo, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

We got into a discussion in my class yesterday that was really interesting. Very good points were made on both sides of the issue and I wanted to get some input from you all to take back to my kids on Monday.

If Republicans/Conservatives are the so-called more "religious" of the two major parties, then why do they view the poor in the opposite light of what Jesus did? You always hear Republicans/conservatives regurgitate the same Reagan rhetoric - "send the welfare bums back to work". They are in favor of - No welfare, no govt programs to help the poor ect, ect... You hear people like Hannity, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh speak against doing anything to help those less fortunate claiming that they have the same opportunity as everyone else and if they don't take advantage of it - then to hell with them. Many of the conservatives seem to be more concerned with their own personal status instead of the status of the community in a whole. People like Reagan were even opposed to certain civil rights legislation, saying "If an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house, it is his right to do so"

Now I am not saying that this is or is not a fact - but it is a common perception of Republicans/Conservatives. So the question is - if Republicans are so Religious and try to live more like Jesus did - then why are they perceived to throw poor people under the bus? I do not want to post a lot of quotes here about Jesus and the poor but anyone who knows the Bible should be well aware of the Humanitarian spirit of Jesus.

KC//CRIMSON and saucysoonergal like this.
  2. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This is too ignorant to even read. Go do some research on who contributes more money and time to charity.
    I'll agree there's too many pious Christian types out there who just want to have their perfect little world and not deal with poor people and just donate money and such but there's also good one's out doing the work in the streets.

You could look at the bigger picture and take a wild guess at which party needs folks to stay poor.

sooner n houston likes this.
  3. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

I am not saying one way or the other - just a discussion - and that is how people who run from the question answer it. And I am in the street working with these kids every day - for many years now - and I have to admit - the only republicans that I have ever seen on the North Side of Tulsa is Lafortune - no town hall meetings, no school visits - nothing!!! My kids perception could be very wrong since they have never seen much outside of the North-side of Tulsa. That is why I would like to point out other views to them.

4. OKLA21FAN

OKLA21FAN New Member

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." :pop:

5. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

Also, schools on the North side of Tulsa such as Gilcrease and Alcott can not even take their books home - How can you learn math with no book? Who really cares about the charity you send to people outside of our country when you can not/do not help the people in your very own city?

6. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

Gandhi was telling the truth when he said that!

7. Gandhi didn't come across those of us who are about doing the things He wants us to

8. ddub0224

ddub0224 Active Member

You shouldn't make a case against conservatives based on what the likes of Rush & Hannity say. Just like you wouldn't want to claim that Liberals are more spiritual because the "Rev." Jackson & Sharpton are on their side. You could easily argue that those two do more to cause discontent amongst man than to promote peace. All those media personalities are in it for themselves. The have to survive on ratings and publicity.

Conservatives claim to stand on the ethical (Biblical) side of moral issues relative to Liberals such as abortion, homosexuality,etc. That is the basis for their arguement. I can see what you are getting at in terms of social issues (welfare, unemployment, etc) but I would argue that the politicians are doing that for votes more than anything. Look at what the groups as a whole do themselves - which groups volunteer more, donate more. And I mean towards man...not animals or the planet.

9. jiminy

jiminy Member

Jesus called for man to help his fellow man willingly, not forced charity... what conservatives are against is abuse of government welfare programs by the lazy.

SweetheartSooner and SCOUT like this.
  10. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

I agree with that. Sounds like a good lesson - I will make my kids look up which groups volunteer and donate more and then see what conclusions we come up with.

11. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

That starts with a good education. Which is hard to come by in many poor neighborhoods. Financial education is probably the most important - which is not taught at most schools - But.... It does not matter who is in office - democrats or republicans - our schools still suck!

12. ddub0224

ddub0224 Active Member

It's hard to quantify time volunteered but should be able to find $ donated - especially if you are looking at politicians. And unfortunately I don't know if you will be able to see what the $ was donated to, i.e. was it to a homeless shelter or an environmental group. I was more referring to "groups" as in ordinary joes who label themselves as iether conservative or liberal. What does bob the conservative do versus Bill the liberal?

I do not live anywhere Tulsa, but obviously each community is different. Each community has its own set of issues, its own majority party, and its own view of others. So, I applaud your efforts to encourage the kids to look at more than one side of an issue and to challenge against groupthink.

13. jiminy

jiminy Member

I think it starts with good parenting, but obviously you need both

picasso likes this.
  14. ddub0224

ddub0224 Active Member

AMEN to that!!! And a lot of that is missing from not having a father at home. Single mothers are rock stars for doing it by themselves, but children need dads at home too...especially boys.

15. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

Thats a good point. All politicians are the same - I need to look at the everyday average people. I will have to think it out for sure - I always try to get my kids to express how they really feel instead of expressing how they think we want them to feel. hmmmmmm - I need to change up my lesson plan - Thanks

ddub0224 likes this.
  16. LosAngelesSooner

LosAngelesSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The fact that you're calling the OP "too ignorant to even read" is too ignorant to even read.

You should go do some research on who contributes more money and time to charity. :pop:

17. yankee

yankee New Member

Martin Luther say wut?

18. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

That is true - parenting is actually first. But - if a kids parents are on drugs, not around and do not support the kids in education - then where do you go. That is where many of our kids are at. Parenting is not an option - Plan b is the only plan to follow. So what do we do now - just dismiss them and say you have no home training or do we find the ways to educate them as well.

Also - That no man in the house is an old, played out argument. Many of these mother are exactly what you said they are - Rock Stars - Crack Rock! And the reason many of the fathers are not around is because the mothers are so damn crazy - I had a wrestler who mother would not let him wrestle because she needed him at home to sell dope. I got cursed out for 20 minutes while being nauseated by the liquor from her breath. I am not saying that it is all woman - it is both and some of these woman love to use that as an excuse - they forget to tell you that the tried to beat the hell out of the man everyday, sleeping with several different people, accusing the men of child molestation, ect.... as an act of revenge because she is not getting what she want. The problem is much bigger than the men alone.

19. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

Jesus didn't write the Constitution nor was he at the Constitutional convention. Charity should be voluntary not mandated and run by the Government...that isn't charity.

I'm not exactly big on the whole Jesus thing, but the idea of running government based on his teachings scares the **** out of me. Our government is the product of the enlightenment not a revival.

Harry Beanbag and OhU1 like this.
  20. yankee

yankee New Member

bingo.

you can't buy your way into heaven.