1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did Big 12 Trademark the Big 14 name?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Shakadoodoo, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

Sorry if this has already been posted.....

Does anyone have any idea why the Big 12 trademarked the "Big 14" - Is this just business as usual as they claim or do they have something up their sleeve???

2. starclassic tama

starclassic tama New Member

probably just a precautionary measure in case the conference ended up expanding

3. Sooner-N-KS

Sooner-N-KS New Member

Well, the current 10 plus TCU, Rice, Houston and North Texas. I imagine there will also be a large, single star in the logo.

4. yankee

yankee New Member

lolwut?

5. Sooner-N-KS

Sooner-N-KS New Member

Good schools aren't exactly dying to get in right now.

6. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

I was thinking maybe they are sitting back this season and looking who will best fit in our conference when Nebraska and Colorado leave next year.

7. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

You are probably right - I just read that they first trademarked the name in 1997 - they just renewed it this year.

8. HBick

HBick New Member

The only long term solution I see for the Big 12 would be expansion, and 14 teams fuels lots of speculation. BYU and TCU are the popular choices, but if they could pry Arky away from the SEC who would be the 14th team? I only see one Texas school in the event of expansion (read TCU).

If the Big 12 could guarantee a massive television contract it could work in favor to land Arkansas. Geographic location is a big factor, Arky is the farthest team from everyone else in the SEC and almost every recruit they go after they are in the backyards of LSU, Bama, Georgia and Florida. They might be able to recruit better in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas if they headed west

9. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

I agree - If I remember correctly - they (Arkansas) were mad they were left out when we expanded to 12 - but I could be wrong. I think Memphis would be good for B-ball and I heard they were lobbying to get in. I even read something about Cinn. But that seems far out.

10. oumartin

oumartin New Member

fixed

11. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

I can see maybe TCU - but any more Tx schools does not offer any new markets - so how would they help?

12. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Here is a sports editor's take on it here.

In a nutshell, they register the name as a precaution, much like I'm sure some of you out there camp on domain names just in case somebody wants to pay lots of money to you someday for it. :D

13. cheezyq

cheezyq Well-Known Member

Actually, Arky left the SWC in 1991, announced in 1990. The idea of the Big 12 didn't exist until 1994 and the first season for the Big 12 was 1996. So Arky was actually the catalyst for realignment back then.

14. ddub0224

ddub0224 Active Member

What they need to do is go on the offensive and get Arizona and Arizona State. That gets it back to 12 and then look to maybe add TCU and BYU if they want 14. Arkansas and LSU fit geographically but they will never leave the SEC.

15. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

Those are well rounded schools which would fit well into the big 12 - They just seem to be far away.... Now that I think about it - they are probably closer to us than Washington and Oregon.

16. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Quick! Someone copyright "Big 20"!!

17. tfoolry

tfoolry New Member

That's an opportunist move. They should trademark them all (Big 13, 15, 16, 17 etc) & then sell the rights to other conferences; lockdown the website addresses too.

18. Leroy Lizard

Leroy Lizard SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Word on the street is that this conference was going to tie-in its championship team to the Alamo Bowl.

19. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Probably closer? I bet you sucked at geography.

Crucifax Autumn likes this.
  20. texaspokieokie

texaspokieokie New Member

DEAN
    are you telling me that fayetteville is closer than seattle ?????