1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New proposal to save Big 12 being considered by Texas

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by SoonerMom2, Jun 13, 2010.

1. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

June 13, 2010

Chip Brown
    Orangebloods.com Columnist

It might be a long shot.

But three different sources at Big 12 South schools being targeted by the Pac-10 told Orangebloods.com Sunday morning commissioner Dan Beebe's assurances that a new TV deal can be reached on par with the SEC's $17 million/school for the 10 remaining schools in the Big 12 is in play and being considered by Texas.

Associated Press

Dan Beebe's plan says the Big 12-Lite can get to $17 mil/school in its next TV deal in 2011.
    "My plan is about what's best for the citizens in this part of the country and for the student-athletes and not having this section of the country with all its major institutions connected to conferences that aren't even here," Beebe told Orangebloods.com on Sunday before returning to what he called his "War Room" on no sleep from the previous night.

Having Texas consider anything other than the Pac-10 at this point is more than could be said on Friday. That's when Nebraska announced it was bolting for the Big Ten and Colorado had a press conference with its new commissioner - Larry Scott of the Pac-10.

Excerpt: Read More at http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1093803

2. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

10 teams, all play each other.

9 games
    3 non conference

i would have zero problem with that

3. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

Will someone tell me how a 10-team league without NE would gain us points and with no championship how does that benefit us getting a BCS bid. Utah ends up in the PAC 10 and now they have a championship game and we don't? Same with Big 10! The days of the Little 12 getting two BCS bids looks out the door so why is this an advantage?

How does our standing as a conference go up with less?

Explanation please!

4. JLEW1818

but seriously what if the big 12 said F IT. TCU, BYU, you in or out?

5. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU!

I hope I've made my stance on adding any additional Texas schools clear. ;)

6. JLEW1818

who cares, rather have them, than leave to go play with some diryt liberals on the west coast.

7. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

I would agree with that and is what should have happened immediately IMHO! My biggest problem is once again telling TX they can have their own network while in another conference they cannot. Telling the rest of us we can have our own network is a joke.

At one time I heard Air Force and Utah because of Denver and Salt Lake City but BYU would work. I wouldn't care about TCU but think the rest of the teams outside of TX would balk including TX as they used to beat them.

This is going to be an interesting couple of days!

8. ndpruitt03

ndpruitt03 New Member

This just delays the inevitable. If there's anything true about this it is because Texas would get more control. You really want that? In the PAC 10 or SEC Texas would get less control.

But in 2 or 3 years ND will probably join the Big 10 and the Big 12 will have to disband anyway.

9. Sooner5030

Sooner5030 Well-Known Member

Need 12 teams for CCG. Options worth exploring:

1.BYU
    2.AFA
    3.Memphis
    4.CSU
    5.Utah

10. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

100% clear -- you are in good company I don't see any of the TX schools we have now wanting TCU either so it would be unanimous!

11. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

Maybe we should take Memphis and get the deal that Fed Ex Chair is offering $10M a year to put Memphis in a big time conference! :)

the_ouskull likes this.
  12. JLEW1818

I'd say overall, TCU is a better sports program than the 5 listed.

My Votes are TCU and Air Force. Screw the Mormons, and Colorado st.

13. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

That was my first thought -- TX with the only network in the conference just like Notre Dame? That will give them a lot more power.

Maybe we should rethink and go with A&M to SEC and let OSU join up with their orange brethren in the PAC 10! :) That is as good of scenario as any since they wrote Texas they want to be with them.

14. Sooner5030

Sooner5030 Well-Known Member

Agree with the caveat that I am not worried about securing the DFW market. That's why Salt Lake and Memphis have a premium even though TCU is a better program.

15. JLEW1818

i mean i respect the other sports, but this is all about football ovbiously. Football makes college athletics possible.

so when i doubt, u have to make a football decision .

but i don't really care. My first choice is to stay in the big 12.

16. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

If we stay as the Big 12, I want the $10M a year from Fed Ex Chair to have Memphis -- cannot beat that free money!

17. JLEW1818

Memphis wouldn't be bad.

i dunno if we are really worried about geographics at this point.

if us or Okie st have to go to the north to make it work, than lets do it.

we can still do like the SEC does. Always play texas. or something like that. 1 team from east and west always play every year, no matter what.

18. ndpruitt03

ndpruitt03 New Member

I would like to stay with the Big 12 too but Nebraska and Colorado finished that off. There's just 2 teams and a bunch of bad teams. You really think this would stop all realignment? At best it delays it 2 years till Notre Dame joins the Big 10 then all hell will break loose and OU/Texas will have to choose between the PAC and SEC again and we have the same threads 2 years from now. It's better to be proactive and start the dominoes falling.

19. PLaw

PLaw Well-Known Member

On par with the current SEC package isn't going to cut it. It needs to be good enough to be on par with the NEXT SEC package or you will still be sucking hind teat.

Boomer

20. JLEW1818

well in 2008 we had like 4 prime time night games in a row.

Winning helps with the tv too. hehe