1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spring Football started

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by JLEW1818, Mar 3, 2009.

1. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

http://www.soonersports.com/ot/2009_spring_practice.html

Tress Way will start of doing the punting.
    Seems like Stoops is a big fan of L Jones, will get the most time this spring..
    Madu will get some slot time.

"We're excited to get going again this spring. It seems like it's fairly early, but in the end I like starting it early and getting a good number of practices in before we take spring break and start stretching it out. Just anxious to get going and get back out on the field and working with our guys.

"It's a disappointing and hurtful time; I know everyone's heard about the accident with Corey Wilson, or if you haven't, it's a tragic accident. We're all just praying for Corey and his family. It's a really difficult time. Medically, what was out from his family I'm not going to elaborate on anything else than what was said yesterday. We're all just continuing to pray for him and have him in our thoughts and his family.

"Getting into practice again, I feel really positive about the team. We had a great winter. Coach Schmidt was really pleased with the overall work of our players which is always a big indicator of what kind of team we have a chance to have; the way they work out of season and the attitude and toughness they have going through our winter program. He was overall very pleased with the progress of most all of our positions.

"When you look at us defensively, there is a great number of players back, so you would expect significant improvement there. Offensively, in a couple of areas we have a good number of big-time players that everyone knows. I'm pleased with our attitude with the receivers throughout the winter was fabulous, but they have to come on the field and show the ability to make plays.

"Offensive line, of course losing four of the five starters from a year ago, that's where another major issue will be, and we'll see. Those guys are at this point, it's just everything, whether it's with their work ethic, their attitude, those things need to improve. They haven't had the winter everyone else has had. They right now are the weak link of the team and we'll see if they can respond and have any kind of spring and summer to help us be a team that can contend for a Big 12 Championship.

"They'll be a big part of whether we will or will not depending on their attitude, work habits, those kinds of things; if we're going to be able to do it. They've been very inconsistent that way in how they work and their toughness and discipline. It'll be something we'll see as time goes whether they can develop that kind of toughness and attitude to get it done.

"Overall, I think special teams-wise, same thing. I expect us to improve. Tress Way will start off taking over for Mike Knall in punting. Through the year last year I thought he did a nice job and he's had a good winter too with kickoffs, field goals, all of that. We expect Jimmy [Stevens] to be better, but I also expect Matt Moreland and Tress Way to be better. Also we have a newcomer in Bryce Easley coming in from Norman North who is a guy that we're excited about as well. I do feel that overall those positions will be improved for us, and that'll be a big plus as well."

- - - - -

We'll bring you plenty of coverage including daily updates, video features and photo galleries. Be sure to check out the latest football items in the online auction including a full-size helmet signed by all three Selmon brothers, a "47" jersey (for the win streak) signed by Jerry Tubbs and a print signed by Coach Barry Switzer.

2009 OU Spring Football Central | Football Auction Items

Oklahoma lawmakers lauded head coach Bob Stoops and representatives of the OU football team with brief ceremonies at the state capitol Monday afternoon in Oklahoma City. View video here:

Stoops, Bradford, Sooners Honored at State Capitol

• From Rivals: "OU always has national championship aspirations. Some seasons, they are more realistic than others. The 2009 hopes are realistic. Any team featuring four likely first-round picks has to be taken seriously, and OU has at least that many. Though Oklahoma lost to Florida in last year's..."

• John Hoover of the Tulsa World: "One of the first things Kevin Wilson said when he was promoted to offensive coordinator four years ago was something to the effect of, "You're only as good as what your line can block." For Oklahoma football fans all jazzed up over the start of spring practice..."

• Julie Bisbee of the Oklahoman: "By his own account, not much intimidates University of Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops. But standing before the full state Senate on Monday was a little daunting, he said. It was a good thing the Senate gallery was full of fans and senators who couldn't wait to..."

• Jimmy Burch of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram: "By winning last year's Heisman Trophy and bypassing an opportunity to enter April's NFL Draft, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford looms as the face of the Sooners' football program for the 2009 season. That's especially true on offense..."

• Dave Curtis of the Sporting News: "If tackle Trent Williams doesn't leap on the winter's back-to-school bandwagon and shun a potential top 50 spot in the draft, the Sooners would need five new starters up front. Williams and veteran backup Brian Simmons, last year's No. 6 offensive lineman..."

Monday, March 2

Spring football kicks off on Tuesday for Oklahoma and we'll get you in the huddle. Watch for complete coverage including daily updates, video features and interviews plus photo galleries direct from Norman as the Sooners strap on the pads for spring ball 2009.

2009 Oklahoma Spring Football Central

Be sure to check out the latest football items in the online auction at SoonerSports.com including a full-size, authentic OU helmet signed by all three Selmon brothers, a "47" jersey (for the win streak) signed by Jerry Tubbs and a print signed by Coach Switzer.

Selmon Brothers, Jerry Tubbs and Barry Switzer Auction Items

• Charles Ward of the Oklahoma City Examiner: "As the other spring sport, spring football, begins in Norman on Tuesday, Oklahoma will primarily be looking for the men that will reload three positions: Offensive line, wide receiver and both safety slots. Offensive line: Four of Oklahoma's starters..."

• Dennis Dodd of CBS: "Six-foot-seven LSU transfer Jarvis Jones should slide into the right tackle spot. Jones played on the 2007 LSU national championship team but was dismissed for a violation of team rules. Trent Williams, considered by the staff to be the best overall offensive lineman last year..."

• From Rivals: "Last season, Oklahoma averaged 4.8 yards per rush to rank 20th in the country. Even more impressive, the Sooners ranked third in sacks allowed and the teams ahead of them - Air Force and Navy - attempted less than half as many passes as the Sooners did..."

2. sooner94

sooner94 New Member

The comments about the O'line's work ethic and attitude are a little troublesome. You would think the young guys would be chomping at the bit.

3. OK2U

OK2U New Member

I think his comments were a public challenge.
    Stoops is good at using the media to motivate...
    Remember the crowd at the Tech game?

4. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

He said it was "inconsistent."

He's always been high on Trent Williams and Donald Stephenson, we got a former starter on a National Championship LSU team and Simmons returns as well. I think from listening to him that we have a solid starting lineup but he wants to see more out of the group as a whole.

If Stoops is displeased, he won't beat around the bush... he bragged all year long on OUr 2007 squad, then ripped them a new one for a subpar performance against WVU. Most of the same exact players got heaped praise all season long just a few weeks later as 2008 Spring Ball started.

He could be bragging on the O-Line and dogging the quarterbacks next week.

For this press conference, I think he just expressed more of a concern for the consistency and quality of depth as a whole. Remember that we're talking a lot of guys here, a lot of big guys. When it comes to workouts, the big guys are usually the ones that are the most difficult to get going the way you want them to. Good news is it's only day one with a lot of time and talent to work with.

5. JLEW1818

Any predictions on who the starting O-Line will be?

6. goingoneight

I know they're working Trent in on the anchor of the left side now, Hannan will probably start at center based on experience.

I'll go with T. Williams, A. Williams, Hannan, Simmons, Mitchell... but that's just a wild guess and one turned ankle could change everything.

7. JLEW1818

think S. Good will make a move ?

8. SoonersBIG7

SoonersBIG7 New Member

And Jarvis Jones?

JLEW1818 likes this.
  9. goingoneight

I don't think anything other than a more epxerienced guy is in his way. He's hella strong though according to all sources.

10. soonerfan28

soonerfan28 New Member

I've heard that Jones could even be used at guard just to get the best lineman on the field.

11. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

Jarvis Jones did not start at LSU.

12. soonerfan28

soonerfan28 New Member

Jarvis Jones did play but he wasn't a starter. I looked at the spring roster on soonersports.com and they had Frank Alexander @ 6'4 229. That was the only noticeable difference I saw from last year, but my guess is it's misprint.

13. allentxsooner

allentxsooner New Member

Looks like Dejuan Miller has the potential to be a real stud, he just needs to work on his hands