1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1972-2005

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Sooner24, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Soonersince57

Soonersince57 New Member

'75 was my freshman year at OU and I ended up there because I wanted to be in the Pride and go to the Orange Bowl. After sweating bullets through the close games with Miami, Colorado, and Texas, things were looking good. (At the hotel the night before the Texas game, I came into the room and one of the band girls was asleep for some reason in our room. She looked good laying there, but . . . that's another story.:rolleyes: )

Later, Kansas came to town and we turned the ball over at least 8 times and I think those were on consecutive possessions. I was devastated going off the field that day as I could just hear my mother lecturing me about why I should have attended one of the Oklahoma directional schools with a scholarship rather than going to OU (where tuition was a whole $12.25 an hour). Anyway, after the Missouri excitement and Washington's run, we creamed Nebraska and I remember getting creamed myself by an orange as we were playing on the field after the game.

So I got to go the Orange Bowl after all. Just before pregame we were on the sidelines and heard about Ohio State losing. The whole atmosphere changed. There wasn't a lot of offense that night, but especially for Michigan as they could do very little against the Selmons, Jimbo, etc.

Then there was the girl the night before the '76 Nebraska game :) I'll just say it was very cold outside. Who says band guys are geeky?

2. 76soonergrad

76soonergrad New Member

It was my senior year. There were a lot of great memories in that season. One game not mentioned yet was against Pitt.

David Wannstat was on their offensive line. They had a running back named Tony Dorsett..This was when his name was pronounced with the accent on the first syllable.

We won 40 something to the teens. 48-10? What I remember was Tony D's unimpressive rushing. He had multiple carries for less than 20 yards. Our defense was the best. I'm biased, but I think it was the best ever in those years.

--And then the next year Tony wins the Heisman. Go figure.

Our student tickets were on the 40 yard line. Oklahoma OWNED the '70s. Live on University.

3. German Corner

German Corner New Member

Mr. 24, that's great stuff. Those years were magical. I was 14 and those Saturdays couldn't get here fast enough even though all I could do was listen to Mike Treps call and John Brooks color on the radio.

Joe's punt return was the best of all time and it just kills me that the game was not broadcast for replay. The film available isn't bad but what if Joe's special runs and returns were made with modern technology available.

Archie Griffin is the only 2 time Heisman winner only because of the tv ban.

4. Sooner24

Sooner24 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I went back and figured up how many wins, loses and ties I had seen since I started going to the games. In that time I have seen 211 wins, 55 loses and 3 ties. That works out to .7899 winning %. I have not figured out the wins and loses for home, away and neutral site games yet.

5. Sooner24

Well the 2008 season has come to a close for me since I am not going to Stoolwater, the Big 12 championship game or the National Championship game. With that said I will now pick my favorite game of the 2008 season...............the envelope please.................and the winner is.........................TEXAS TECH!

Tech come on down and say a few words. What’s that you say you can't be heard over all the crowd noise? Well that's okay I will just say a few words for you.

Texas Tech said that they would like to thank the voters for the 2008 Sooner24 Game of the Year Award®. It was a hard fought battle to win this highly coveted award and we will treasure this award and put it in our trophy case right next to all our Big 12 football championship trophies.

If we had lost the Tech game I already knew my favorite game of 2008 and that would have been the Washington game. Without a doubt the best true away game trip I have ever taken. Better than Alabama, Notre Dame, Air Force or all of the Big 12 schools where I have attended games. If you missed the trip to Seattle I truly feel sorry for you because we may never make our way back there again. That was my first trip to Seattle but it will not be my last.

The Texas Tech game was without a doubt the most electric crowd I have ever witnessed in Norman and I can not imagine any crowd acting like that at any game prior to me going to the games starting in 1972.

If you paid for a seat Saturday night you need to get your money back because it probably wasn’t sat in very much if at all.

The total domination for a game that was suppose to be close was unexpected and I give the crowd a lot of credit for this.

Well that concludes the awarding of the 37th annual 2008 Sooner24 Game of the Year Award®. We will see you all back here next year.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
    olevetonahill likes this.
  6. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Slacker :D
    spek Bro

7. Sooner24

It's never to late to start your own streak. ;)

8. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Where's Bill?

You here yet?

Charlie Bravo iz in da fourumz, posting his posts...

9. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

that's not that hard of a choice... that Tech game was the best game in years

Saturday marks 66 straight for me, i'm hoping to get to 69 this season :D

anyone know where Phil is now?

10. Sooner24

I think Phil is up to 5,472.

11. olevetonahill

Bro Ive been Going to Games since 73 .
    Just had to work and Raise a Family which kept Me from Streakin :D

12. Sooner24

I have always been fortunate that I never had to work or was sick on a Saturday of a home game. Started taking my boys when they turned five and have been taking them ever since. When I went to that first game in 1972 I never dreamed that 37 years later I still would not have missed a home game.

olevetonahill likes this.
  13. olevetonahill

You do Have My spek Bro . Aint No way I can Live Long enough Now ;)

Sooner24 likes this.
  14. Sooner24

I thought OVJ was from the fountain of youth? ;)

15. olevetonahill

Its the fountain of somethin alright :D

Flagstaffsooner likes this.
  16. Sooner24

Well, before today I didn't know if there would be a game worthy of the 2009 Sooner24 Game of the Year Award® but thanks to Mike Gundy and crew OSU wins in a run-a-way. If we had won in Lincoln that would have topped the list since I had never seen us win there and I still haven't. A win in Miami would have put them in the running but again they eliminated themselves by beating us. It came down to one of six home games and The Poke's made it easy for me. Not only did we derail any hopes they had at making a BCS game but we shut them out in the process. I just wish there was some way I could award the 2009 Sooner24 Game of the Year Award® to Mike Gundy in person but that would probably mean going to Stoolwater so it ain't gonna happen. It's been a rough year but 2010 is a new year.

17. Sooner24

Well since I'm not going to the Fiesta Bowl I will now give out the 2010 Sooner24 Game of the Year Award®.

Didn't go to any away games this year (went to Green Bay to watch the Packers play instead) and stayed home for the Big 12 championship game so I only had six games to pick from.

After the Utah State game I wasn't sure we would win 7 games. But the next week against a pretty good Florida State team we looked like a BCS team.....hey wait a minute we are a BCS team! I was sure hoping that Bobby Bowden would get his one more year so I could have seen him coach his first year and his last year but it wasn't to be.

So with without further adieu I present the 2010 Sooner24 Game of the Year Award® to the FSU Seminoles. I hope next year I can award it to them again since I am planning to go to the game.

Next year will be a milestone year for me. With my seventh game I will have been to 300 OU football games both home and away. And if I don't miss a home game it will be 40 years in a row.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  18. soonerbub

soonerbub New Member

That's awesome. This was the first year since 1998 I wasn't able to make at least 1 game (stupid work :mad:)

19. olevetonahill

Bump for Every Sooner Fan who missed this the 1st time around.

20. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

this past season made it ten years for home and Texas games for me

not quite 40 though :eek:

other than having to pull an all-nighter at work before BGSU in 2004, i haven't really had too many conflicts so far. got really lucky this year with ISU getting moved though