1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teams trying to copy TCU scheme?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by adoniijahsooner, Sep 28, 2008.

1. adoniijahsooner

adoniijahsooner New Member

Do any of you guys think teams will use the TCU game tape in order to try find a way to hold us under 35?

2. GrapevineSooner

GrapevineSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

They'd be nuts not to.

Granted, some of that may have had to do with a lack of execution and focus. But it's clear to me that the pressure did have an effect on Bradford.

3. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

What is there to copy?How to stuff the run by playing eight men in the box and giving up 411 yards and 4TDs passing? If you don't realize that Bob went into stall mode ,then apparently you went to sleep midway through the third quarter.If you DID fall asleep,I don't blame you because I almost did. :)

Breadburner likes this.
  4. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

TCU thought their corners could hang with our WRs and they couldn't. I doubt any can. Bradford consistently looked good in the pocket, and that was with a few drops and busts in protection. I didn't really see him getting shaken, as he was still throwing accurate, confident darts in the face of defenders.

I could see some defenses trying to do this, but I think the big plays over and over by the WRs should deter them. We also won't face another D that can stuff the run that effectively. Their DLine was really, really fast.

5. fadada1

fadada1 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

one thing to consider is that 8 of 11 starters on defense for TCU were seniors - including their front 4. that's a lot of experience, folks. most teams - even in the big12 - can't say that. fact is, DM can still break any run into a big gain, and leaving your DBacks on an islands with our receivers and sam is just plain stupid.

6. adoniijahsooner

adoniijahsooner New Member

I wasnt bothered by the 30 yards rushing as much as i was the constant 3 and outs. That is what concerns me the most.

7. Flagstaffsooner

Flagstaffsooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

"Type slower guys, I'm trying to write this all down!"
    [​IMG]

RacerX, TMcGee86, boomrsoonr and 2 others like this.
  8. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

we could have easily scored 50 again even with the bad 2nd qt, teams will blitz more but if they stack the box against the run, SB will pick them apart

9. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I hope they ALL do.

10. Partial Qualifier

Partial Qualifier SoonerFans.com Elite Member

^^ my thoughts exactly.

11. TheUnnamedSooner

TheUnnamedSooner Well-Known Member

12. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Think about what our running game has looked like in the past. Think about what you saw last night.

OK.

Wait one more second.

Now, ask yourself why we should expose too much of what we're capable of before the Saxet game.

13. meoveryouxinfinity

meoveryouxinfinity New Member

Of course, first thing's first (Baylor).. but... what do you expect us to pull out against Texas?

More of the Wildcat/ Wildhog offense? We did some of this last year but, correct if me I'm wrong, we have not seen DM line up under center yet this year.
    Why this wont work: did you see what happened to SC when they tried it? It was predictable and made McKnight look like a fool. Not to mention created turnovers and negative yardage plays.

Why it will work: DeMarco is primed for a big game. He is faster than McKnight. Our offensive line is better than SC's. Also, we can catch Texas off guard.

Prediction: Stoops doesn't like it. I have a gut feeling he thinks the formation is gimmicky and, since Sam is so great, why not let him take all the snaps--whether it be passing or handing it off--the traditional way-- to DM or CB. I seriously doubt we line up with DM under center​

More of Sam running or utilizing the option pitch?
    No way. End of story.​

I definitely think Stoops & CO has something up their sleeves. Before the season started they talked about not showing some wrinkles "possibly until the Texas game." That's exciting. We'll see though.

I think we will see a few differences in the game plan vs Texas. More screen passes to the RBs in the slot and more bubble screens in general. Our team speed is amazing. And our ability to get past defenders and pull away from tacklers is spectacular. It's like ALL of our receivers are like Mark Clayton... making their money in YAC. Let them (and the RBs) play one-on-one in open space. If our offense is not faster than Texas's defense, it is certainly more agile. DM has been half a step away from breaking off HUGE runs on many plays this season. It's going to happen... and no better time than the Cotton Bowl, right?

That...and expect to see Jermaine break away from the double team. Where are you #18?

14. r5TPsooner

r5TPsooner New Member

After OU went up 35-3 it seemed fairly obvious that the gameplan was just to milk the clock and get out of the game with a win and as healthy as we could get. The 1st half lasted almost two freakin hours due to the OU bombing brigade on the TCU defense. I was bored but happy by the 4th quarter.

OUthunder likes this.
  15. The Maestro

The Maestro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Our running backs better block better for Sam.

16. r5TPsooner

r5TPsooner New Member

Brown wiffed twice. I know that one of those = sack.

I bet he got an earful by the coaching staff when he got back to the sidelines.

OUthunder likes this.
  17. Sherpa

Sherpa New Member

I'm so sick of hearing the excuse "8 in the box" OSU doesnt' have any problems with 8 in the box. LSU doesn't have any problems with 8 in the box.

I was beginning to think we might actually be the best team in the country, but by the end of the game I realized we have some serious problems.

Our OL is not the best in the country. Its not he best in the Big 12.

18. bonkuba

bonkuba Active Member

Tap the brakes there a little puppy dog.......haha!!!

Come back and play later:D

19. sooner59

sooner59 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It doesn't bother me that it happened like this. For one, a decent test early in the season against a good defense gives our coordinators something so work on so that when we face better teams, we know our weaknesses and can fix our problems. Secondly, when we got up 35-3, everyone in the stadium including TCU could see the change in play calling directed towards milking the clock. We knew we were running the ball and so did TCU. That makes it alot easier to stop. TCU sold out against the run and it got them burned consistantly when when were trying to score. Teams like Texas will not do that.

20. doubtful..hard for teams to have a scheme they work on all spring and summer and change it for one game

TCU had speed on the edges because they play a 4-2-5..so teams aren't likely to switch just like they aren't rushing out to play a 3-3-5 like WV did/does.....

A 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 have both caused problems with the extra speed on the edges used to rush....