1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Guess we didn't need lower oil prices afterall...

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by OklahomaTuba, May 16, 2008.

1. OklahomaTuba

OklahomaTuba SoonerFans.com Elite Member

According to our liberal masters...

God Bless Mary Landrieu!!!

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/15/panel-defeats-attempt-end-oil-shale-moratorium/

2. r5TPsooner

r5TPsooner New Member

Politics as usual in Washington.

3. OklahomaTuba

OklahomaTuba SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I hope they vote on this on the Senate floor.

Make Hussien vote on something that will directly increase the supply of crude oil which will lower prices for gas, food, the trade debt, and increase royalties, etc.

Of course, he will vote NO (or Present), cause oil is evil and causes man-killing hurricanes.

I want to see him explain that away while people are paying nearly $4.00 a gallon for gas.

4. Sooner_Havok

Sooner_Havok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Just an FYI. Average price of gas in London today, in US dollars in $8.30/g

5. r5TPsooner

r5TPsooner New Member

Because most people in the world are paying twice that amount.

6. soonerhubs

soonerhubs SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Is there any way I could justifiably tell Goldman-Sachs and the other speculators to go to hell?

7. Sooner_Havok

look at it this way. Here in the US, we allow the markets to set prices. If Mr. Abdula is getting $120 a barrel for his oil, I am sure Mr. Smith is going to want close to that for his refined from oil shale. With the added supply, prices will drop some, but they can't drop to far because then refining from oil shale become unprofitable. The only way something like this works is to close down our borders like the Japanese did, and isolate ourselves from the the rest of the world.

That is the sad truth guys. Oil shale and coal to gas is only profitable now because of the high price of oil. It cannot lower the prices significantly otherwise it becomes unprofitable and we stop refining from it. The only way this could work to lower prices now is to have the government subsidize it, but in the end we still pay for that.

8. r5TPsooner

r5TPsooner New Member

This looks like a job for Super Obama, Savior of the universe.

9. soonerhubs

soonerhubs SoonerFans.com Elite Member

10. soonerboomer93

soonerboomer93 Dirty bastard

exactly, the fact is that lower oil prices is bad. consumers won't change how the comsume oil if they aren't almost forced into it by higher prices.

My co-worker just traded in his sons full size truck for a much more fuel efficient car. They were spending almost $100/week in gas just on that 1 vehicle

11. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You realize gas is already nearly $4 a gallon, right? You also get that he isn't the POTUS, right? So who should would be asking, right now, about gas prices?

12. mdklatt

mdklatt SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Bill Clinton, duh!

13. Sooner_Havok

I think he wants Obama to vote for it on the senate floor. Justing Saying

14. soonerscuba

soonerscuba New Member

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I greatly look forward to Tuba's new fangled Iraq War stance in January.

15. mdklatt

How long before any oil would start flowing? How much would it increase supply and how much would it reduce oil prices?

Any bets on whether or not Sen. Allard also supports higher CAFE mandates?

16. Sooner_Havok

Like I said, it couldn't lower prices very much. Any of you oil types out there know how much a barrel of crude made from oil shale would cost to produce? I just have this feeling that if oil ain't selling for $100+ that this won't work

17. SoonerInKCMO

SoonerInKCMO SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yesterday, for the first time, I filled up the Yaris I've been renting since April 27th. $39.76 for 18 days worth of gas. :texan:

18. mdklatt

I'm not buying the "gas is cheaper in the US than everywhere else" argument as a reason to feel better. It's not the price that's a problem, but the price increase. Gas prices have tripled in what, 5-6 years? Have gas prices tripled in London during that time period? No, because the majority of their cost is in taxes.

19. mdklatt

Damn, how big of a fuel tank can a Yaris possibly hold?

20. Sooner_Havok

Oh No?