PDA

View Full Version : A English is the key in this game

Blitzkrieg
9/21/2007, 08:54 AM
What little have seen of Smith is that you don't take him down by blitzing and taking a 15 yard run at him. You need direct paths to him from the front 4 right in his throwing lanes. Tipped balls, blocked views of crossing receivers, this is the way we roll up a rather large margin. English and the tackles need to get heat, and while sacks are great, hands in the face and pressure are imperative.

I don't see how we don't score - A LOT, but our defense really hasn't faced a good QB yet. Tonight is by no means our measuring stick, but it will be telling about our secondary and LB corp. Chase Daniel, Colt McCoy, and Harrell can throw the ball, all better than Smith IMO. We win this game, but I think it important to key the Tulsa score LOW. Pollsters aren't usually that much of a concern, but one year, maybe this year, it will happen that there will be multiple undefeateded teams.

BornandBred
9/21/2007, 09:00 AM
Agree 100%. Is McCoy going to be back for this game? I heard he broke his hand. I didn't see as much pressure from the DTs last game, and I wonder if it was because he was out. I think he'll be pretty important this game as well, if he plays.

SteelClip49
9/21/2007, 09:37 AM
The thread title is not proper "English."

Ok, I had my corny laugh, sorry.

Carry on.

MextheBulldog
9/21/2007, 12:15 PM
I too am curious to see how the D responds to an unusual offense. This may be a good test for the hyped secondary.

SoonerBOI
9/21/2007, 12:19 PM
What little have seen of Smith is that you don't take him down by blitzing and taking a 15 yard run at him. You need direct paths to him from the front 4 right in his throwing lanes. Tipped balls, blocked views of crossing receivers, this is the way we roll up a rather large margin. English and the tackles need to get heat, and while sacks are great, hands in the face and pressure are imperative.

I don't see how we don't score - A LOT, but our defense really hasn't faced a good QB yet. Tonight is by no means our measuring stick, but it will be telling about our secondary and LB corp. Chase Daniel, Colt McCoy, and Harrell can throw the ball, all better than Smith IMO. We win this game, but I think it important to key the Tulsa score LOW. Pollsters aren't usually that much of a concern, but one year, maybe this year, it will happen that there will be multiple undefeateded teams.

I agree. Our secondary and LB corp. will be tested to the hilt.

okienole3
9/21/2007, 12:33 PM
To say that someone is the key to the game is to say that their team will have a hard time winning if that person does not play well. Here, I think OU would win this game even if A. English never set foot on the field.

MikeInNorman
9/21/2007, 01:20 PM
It's hard to find weaknesses so far with the defense, but TU may do us a favor and illuminate some things we will be better off improving.

First, while Ryan Reynolds has played as well as anyone could expect for a guy that hasn't played for two years, he seems to still be getting his feet wet in pass coverage. Reynolds seems to have been executing his assignments OK, but not making a lot of plays in coverage. You may recall a QB named Smith completing one jillion passes either one foot to the right or left of Zack Latimer two years ago, where Latimer was in the right position but wasn't really covering anybody. I expect TU to try Reynolds and see if he is any better than Latimer in coverage.

I also expect TU to try to see if DJ Wolfe is really a safety, and to try to isolate Nick Harris on WRs. Misdirection and trick plays will be abundant, and my guess is that Lendy Holmes and Lewis Baker will be the primary targets.

Naturally, we will have things in store for TU as well. I agree that pressure is paramount in thwarting the plans outlined above.

devOUt
9/21/2007, 02:10 PM
Pressure is definitely the key. Paul Smith is too good at finding the open receiver. Smith may be the best QB we face this year, he just doesn't have the supporting cast.