PDA

View Full Version : Mac Heads

soonerboomer93
9/21/2007, 02:16 AM
Mac Book pro, connected by cable directly to the network, losses connection everytime attempting to browse to a new website. Any ideas on how to fix?

I'm having them try a different cable (I doubt it's a cable issue), but i'm not familiar with Macs.

yermom
9/21/2007, 09:25 AM
first thing i would do is open up a terminal session and leave a ping running, to something like www.yahoo.com and your gateway and watch that as you are trying to surf. if the ping is losing packets to yahoo and not to the local gateway, there is something with the internet connection. if it's losing packets to the gateway, it sounds like a physical connection problem, either the cable, which is easy to change, or the NIC or the connection to the switch.

if you aren't losing packets, i'd do a few nslookups, or host lookups and see how they resolve. you can also try using curl to request one of the URLs fromt he command line and see how that works bypassing the browser

soonerboomer93
9/21/2007, 11:30 PM
yeah, mac book pro, don't know where to find any of the network information or open a terminal session on a macbook

yermom
9/22/2007, 01:19 AM
go to the hard drive, then Applications, Utilities, Terminal

ifconfig -a will tell you the IP addresses, etc...

to see the network settings go to the Apple menu, System Preferences, Network

soonerboomer93
9/22/2007, 01:37 AM
coolio

my understandings is that some scripts are supposed to automatically clean up things like the cache, how do I check to make sure they're running?

yermom
9/22/2007, 10:06 AM
i've never had to worry about that one...