PDA

View Full Version : Why is Notre Dame afraid of Northern Illinois Univ?

aurorasooner
9/20/2007, 10:45 PM
This whole Demetrius Jones transfer deal is making the Irish look like wimps. Who GAS about NIU? Throw them a bone and forget it.
SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- Notre Dame might release Demetrius Jones from his scholarship after all, as long as the sophomore quarterback transfers to a school that is not on the Irish football schedule.

Jones, who started the season opener, quit the team last week and told reporters he had enrolled at Northern Illinois.
ADVERTISEMENT

On Wednesday, athletic director Kevin White said Jones would not be released from his scholarship. In a statement released Thursday night, however, White said the university has offered to help Jones find an acceptable school.

"We are helping Demetrius compile a list of prospective schools that are not on our immediate future football schedules. We will grant him a release to those schools, and we will assist him in settling at another institution as best we can," White said.

That list will not include Northern Illinois, however, said John Heisler, Notre Dame's senior associate athletic director. Jones still could play for the Huskies next season, but he would have to pay his own way this year.

Heisler would not disclose the schools under consideration.

"The list has not been finalized at this point," he said.

Jones, who fumbled twice in the season-opener against Georgia Tech, surprised coaches when he did not show up for the trip to Michigan last Friday. Instead, he attended Northern Illinois' 21-19 loss to Eastern Michigan Saturday in DeKalb, Ill.

Jones is from Chicago.

"We have initiated our normal protocol by identifying a list of institutions to which he has an interest in transferring," White said. "While Demetrius did not consult us on his decision, the university and he are now working together in our customary fashion. Our hope is that this process assists him in finding an institution that will enable him to meet his goals both as a student and as an athlete."

CatfishSooner
9/20/2007, 10:50 PM
lame!

Will
9/20/2007, 10:52 PM
Notre Dame sucks!

Sooner74
9/20/2007, 10:52 PM
That's an easy one. They think they would lose.

TexSooner000
9/20/2007, 11:07 PM
LIKE YOU SAID....WHO GAS

aurorasooner
9/20/2007, 11:09 PM
Wow. Chuck 3rd and Long goes to South Bend to open the season next year. Should be a good game. Freakin' NIU should give Jones a BB scholly this year, and tell the Irish to stick up their azz.

r5TPsooner
9/20/2007, 11:18 PM
I dislike Notre Dame more than Aggie and UT combined.

Will
9/20/2007, 11:21 PM
that is bold to say more than UT...

SoonerSloan
9/20/2007, 11:33 PM
dont think it has a whole lot to do with being afraid of NIU as much as just being ****ed about the way Jones handled the whole situation.

He gets demoted and feels like he's been disrespected and slighted, so he gets ****ed and without saying a word to the coaches or anyone in the department just decides he's gonna transfer, skips the bus for the game w/o talking to anyone. now i think he's paying the price for acting in such a way. if he worked with the system i think this would be a non issue.

--- looks like i was wrong... they will release him if its too a school they arent playing in the future, while its halfway understandable for them to not want to let him go to a school they'll be facing, its not like he's going to a rival school they play year in and year out.

Ash
9/20/2007, 11:34 PM
Weis isn't exactly a "nice guy" himself.

aurorasooner
9/20/2007, 11:46 PM
dont think it has a whole lot to do with being afraid of NIU as much as just being ****ed about the way Jones handled the whole situation. I agree. It's a control thing. However, somebody must have told Jones if he bolts before the 2nd game and enrolled immediately at NIU, he would have a good hardship case and chance to play next year. If Jones would've gone thru channels, ND would've probably dragged it out just like they're doing now, so he wouldn't have a chance to play next year for NIU. Notre Dame should just say fine, if you don't want to be here, don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out. It would be a different story if he enrolled at Michigan or Purdue, but NIU??? zzzzzz

goingoneight
9/20/2007, 11:58 PM
Maybe because NIU has actually managed a touchdown in three games?

Crucifax Autumn
9/21/2007, 01:27 AM
I dislike Notre Dame more than Aggie and UT combined.

I have to grudgingly agree...the whorns never ended a 47 game streak and neither did the sheephumpers.

And who the hell else has enjoyed 50-70 years of the media shoving their collective heads up their ***?

The media and ND usually have their heads inserted so deep into each other that they look like a Yin-Yang!

badger
9/21/2007, 10:10 AM
Weis isn't exactly a "nice guy" himself.
It is becoming more and more apparent that his offensive "genius" plays at New England were a result of genius cheating, not genius plays.

stoopified
9/21/2007, 10:15 AM
That's an easy one. They think they would lose.
Bingo!

snp
9/21/2007, 10:57 AM
Maybe Jones shouldn't have went behind the staffs back and they would've been more lenient with him.