PDA

View Full Version : Will OU adopt WILD HAWG(direct snap to TB)?

stoopified
9/20/2007, 10:07 PM
It seems to be the new thing with Arkansas,GT,UM, and others adopting it. Just curious if anyone thinks OU will jump on the bandwagon and if so,with which TB?AP does not inspire confidence in my mind due to two dropped passes,I figure if you are taking a direct snap,you better have good hands.For that reason I think that IF OU were to adopt that tactic it would be with Murray.

BTW it might just be me but I think that UM win just got bigger and SWEETER.

Soonerus
9/20/2007, 10:08 PM
I am totally confused...

olevetonahill
9/20/2007, 10:11 PM
It seems to be the new thing with Arkansas,GT,UM, and others adopting it. Just curious if anyone thinks OU will jump on the bandwagon and if so,with which TB?AP does not inspire confidence in my mind due to two dropped passes,I figure if you are taking a direct snap,you better have good hands.For that reason I think that IF OU were to adopt that tactic it would be with Murray.

BTW it might just be me but I think that UM win just got bigger and SWEETER.

Natty Chug !
You go !:D

Will
9/20/2007, 10:13 PM
It doesn't really look like we need it at this point

AllAboutThe'O'
9/20/2007, 10:14 PM
It's actually called the Wildcat formation, but some of the Arkansas fans wanted to have a different name for it, apparently because there's a team in the Hogs' conference that's nicknamed the Wildcats, so they changed it to the WildHog during the offseason.

I still call it the Wildcat BTW. Not going to cave in to what other Arkansas fans want to dictate.:D

CatfishSooner
9/20/2007, 10:15 PM
It doesn't really look like we need it at this point

We can always use some new "wrinkles"............

Soonerus
9/20/2007, 10:16 PM
GEEZ, nothing new about that play...rookies...

Soonerus
9/20/2007, 10:16 PM

Soonerus
9/20/2007, 10:17 PM

stoopified
9/20/2007, 10:18 PM
My computer must be screwed,I can't edit.I tried 3 times to do so,and it won't go through. The post should read AP does NOT inspire any confidence due to two dropped passes,whoever is taking rhe direct snap should have good hands,therefore Murray should be at TB in the WILD HAWG.

TexSooner000
9/20/2007, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't want to copy anything Arkansas does.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/20/2007, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't want to copy anything Arkansas does.
For that comment, I'm single-handedly changing your spek color from red to green.

CatfishSooner
9/20/2007, 10:22 PM
Rusdundancy

stoopified
9/20/2007, 10:23 PM
Never said it was new,just flavor of the moment.It could be useful in short yardage and goaline sets.

Will
9/20/2007, 10:30 PM
I would rather just hand the ball off

CatfishSooner
9/20/2007, 10:37 PM
I would rather just hand the ball off

To who? AP, Brown, DM, Gute, or Madu???

goingoneight
9/20/2007, 10:38 PM
I hope not. That really dumbs your offense down, IMHO. It is obvious and boring to watch.

Will
9/20/2007, 10:40 PM
Well with all of the double reverse, reverse pass plays and others our palybook is pretty bland... thats why we need to hand it off occasionally

soonersn2007
9/20/2007, 10:42 PM
Well Arkansas didn't event the play, so the media should drop that. As far as using it, Murray would be perfect. I would only use it once of twice, like the reverse to the WR throwing downfield.

Give opposing defensive coordinators something to waste their time gaming for. So we should run it once against Tulsa early in the 3rd quarter before we pull our starters out because of the lead.

Will
9/20/2007, 10:56 PM
To who? AP, Brown, DM, Gute, or Madu???

Any and all if they get positive yardage

Crucifax Autumn
9/21/2007, 01:28 AM
I personally think we'll see some new wrinkle every game for the remainder of the season, but this won't be one of them. We have better ways to get the ball into unexpected hands.

KantoSooner
9/21/2007, 01:47 AM
weird thought: what about two quarterbacks in the backfield: Bradford and Nichol. They line up in an offset shotgun and you don't know who's getting the ball.......or whether Nichol is in as a running back.

nah. stupid. but fun to think about.

Seamus
9/21/2007, 01:53 AM
Natty Chug !
You go !:D

Seamus raises his pint of

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/15/98/23039815.jpg

to that!

daMentor
9/21/2007, 03:20 AM
We can always use some new "wrinkles"............
Maybe we should break it out for OU/TX. Much like the misdirection weakside pitch that worked so well for Peterson his freshmen year at the OU/TX game.

starrca23
9/21/2007, 07:36 AM
I never understood why that play was so successfull. The types of route that can be thrown by a tailback have to be limited. It seems like you could defend it pretty easily. Plus, that Sam guy is doing okay when we snap him the ball.

busynothings
9/21/2007, 11:26 AM
We don't have to run it because we can both throw and catch the ball. I live in Fayetteville, and trust me, the only reason Wildcat or Wild Hawg was created was because Houston Nutt has an impotent passing game. He had a chance with a great quarterback, but ran him off to USC.

OU doesn't need to pull stunts to win. We're just good.

jccouger
9/21/2007, 11:30 AM
Manual Johnson could do it. He is fast enough to run the ball, and he could always pass it too.

The Maestro
9/21/2007, 12:39 PM
Nothing says, "Hey, we are running the ball!" like lining up without a quarterback.

Gimmicks are for teams like Boise State that know man for man, head to head, the chances are slim. Kudos to Boise for pulling it off, but I prefer teams line up wondering if we are running or passing...and not really knowing the answer.

GottaHavePride
9/21/2007, 12:40 PM
Yeah, but we have 5 running backs that can also run the ball. And why would we want Manual Johnson throwing passes when Sam Bradford is one of the 5 most eficient passers int he country?

Gimmick plays are used by teams that can't beat another team straight-up and have to rely on surprise to have a chance. That direct-snap play is a fumble/sack/INT waiting to happen; it's not worth the risk when to this point we haven't run into a team that can slow down our normal offense.

OU Adonis
9/21/2007, 12:42 PM
The reason its ran is because you have to put a db on the qb which means one less person to tackle the ball carrrier. Its more about having a run play with one less guy that you have to account for. Because in most run plays the QB is taken out of the play without him blocking or occupying someone.

The Maestro
9/21/2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah, but we have 5 running backs that can also run the ball. And why would we want Manual Johnson throwing passes when Sam Bradford is one of the 5 most eficient passers int he country?

Gimmick plays are used by teams that can't beat another team straight-up and have to rely on surprise to have a chance. That direct-snap play is a fumble/sack/INT waiting to happen; it's not worth the risk when to this point we haven't run into a team that can slow down our normal offense.

Ex-freaking-actly!!!

tnraider1
9/21/2007, 12:51 PM
Would have been a great play to run with Q. No one would have seen him back there and assumed the center snaped the ball into space.

cheezyq
9/21/2007, 02:37 PM
Technically, the Wildcat is where the RB lines up for the direct snap and the QB lines up as a WR. I don't really care for it as a regular tactic or even a trick play, since we don't really have the personnel for it (unless Nichol was the starter) and I don't want Sam (or Keith for that matter) taking any hits he doesn't have to.

soonersn2007
9/21/2007, 03:19 PM
Should we "Tebow" Nichol?????.........I would really like to give opposing D coordinators nightmares.

sooner_born_1960
9/21/2007, 03:27 PM
I personally think we'll see some new wrinkle every game for the remainder of the season, but this won't be one of them. We have better ways to get the ball into unexpected hands.
Which is why we'll probably run a couple play out of that formation.

stoopified
11/4/2007, 08:53 AM
I told ya so.I had a feeling that OU would use the direct snap to the TB this year AND with Murray.

Rocker
11/4/2007, 09:10 AM
I told ya so.I had a feeling that OU would use the direct snap to the TB this year AND with Murray.

Yep!

sooner518
11/4/2007, 09:53 AM
never thought I'd see that last night. Every time we did it, I thought to myself, "why the hell is KW running Bradford on QB draws?? oh wait..."

Cant say it was wildly successful but we got some positive yardage from it last night.

JohnnyMack
11/4/2007, 10:02 AM
never thought I'd see that last night. Every time we did it, I thought to myself, "why the hell is KW running Bradford on QB draws?? oh wait..."

Cant say it was wildly successful but we got some positive yardage from it last night.

Imagine if KW puts MJ (former QB) in motion on that play, DM takes the snap, tosses it to MJ on the fly and MJ rolls out and throws it back to DM who takes off down the backside boundary. Draw it up in the dirt! It'll work!

Sincerely,

Eric Crouch

:O

sooner518
11/4/2007, 10:06 AM
Imagine if KW puts MJ (former QB) in motion on that play, DM takes the snap, tosses it to MJ on the fly and MJ rolls out and throws it back to DM who takes off down the backside boundary. Draw it up in the dirt! It'll work!

Sincerely,

Eric Crouch

<Obligatory TV announcer> Well Manual Johnson was a high school quarterback so we know he can throw the ball!! [pats self on back]</TV announcer>

JohnnyMack
11/4/2007, 10:22 AM
<Obligatory TV announcer> Well Manual Johnson was a high school quarterback so we know he can throw the ball!! [pats self on back]</TV announcer>

How tall is Phil Loadholt again?

okienole3
11/4/2007, 10:29 AM

Sincerely,

Eric Crouch

Good plan, unless he short arms it again.

This play isn't a new thing. Florida State did it back in 1998-1999 with Peter Warrick taking the snap. Then, in short yardage situations, they would put Dan Kendra, quarterback turned fullback, behind center.

achiro
11/4/2007, 10:36 AM
Those of you that called this a gimmick or trick play and don't like it, do you still think this now that OU has used it?
I don't really consider it a trick play, its actually pretty straight forward, just a qb keep using a different qb.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/4/2007, 10:40 AM
Those of you that called this a gimmick or trick play and don't like it, do you still think this now that OU has used it?
I don't really consider it a trick play, its actually pretty straight forward, just a qb keep using a different qb.
Would be cool to throw KN in there for a snap.

setem
11/4/2007, 11:25 AM
I bet before the end of the season we a good bit of stuff other teams have used. e.g. the jump-shot pass that Florida uses. The end around pass with Bradford in motion that Mizzou used against us with success. I think the fact that Arkansas is letting D-Mac do so much passing is what makes theirs different from most. He has a cannon and he is ok akrut!

How about the Jermain Gresham that cat went off last night!

Dan Thompson
11/4/2007, 11:30 AM
How many ex-QB do we have playing other positions. JJF at TE and someone last night as a RB, I didn't get the name.

Who are they?

All_Day_28
11/4/2007, 11:33 AM
I know Manuel Johnson at WR

emoinwinter
11/4/2007, 12:23 PM
Was Reggie? If so, I think he would be a good fit for that formation.

sooner59
11/4/2007, 03:13 PM
While I was listening to the play-by-play, they went down to Trent Smith on the sidelines, and he said that he has seen Demarco Murray throw the ball and that he has a "gun".

colleyvillesooner
11/4/2007, 04:49 PM
I think we are using that to sucker someone into a putting one too many guys in the box, then BOOM! DM throws it for a TD.

Cam
11/4/2007, 07:32 PM
They left Bradford alone as soon as DM took the snaps last night. Fake the run and it's just a nice and easy pitch and catch for a TD.

redblood
11/4/2007, 11:20 PM

Yep