PDA

View Full Version : Quitting smoking is teh succ

BudSooner
9/20/2007, 05:45 PM
I'm not smoking any more dammit, the next few days are gonna be a real bitch.:eek:

sanantoniosooner
9/20/2007, 05:53 PM
Congrats man. More power to ya.

It's better for you and everyone that cares about you.

OklaPony
9/20/2007, 06:00 PM
Good for you, man. It's worth it, I promise! After several (15 or so) years of nicotine addiction I cold-turkeyed about 11-12 years ago. The first couple of weeks were a little weird but after about a month it was no big deal. Hang in there!

StuIsTheMan
9/20/2007, 06:01 PM
Congrats man. More power to ya.

It's better for you and everyone that cares about you.

http://www.pekingduck.org/archives/smoker-thumb.jpg

This kid beg's differ with you SAS:D

olevetonahill
9/20/2007, 06:04 PM
Man I was fixin to start a thread about this subject . No kiddin
I also to have decided to quit .
I spent 37 bucks on a carton last Fri Nite. By yesterday Morn they were gone :mad:
Ive also figured that after 42 years I ant gonna be able to do the cold turkey thingy
So instead of 3 an 4 packs a day . Im forcing myself to 1 pack a day
I can go a long time with out one . But if I have em in front of me I smoke em like a drunkytown Train .
So Ive started leaving em In My truck .
When I start jonsein. I decide if I want one bad enough to get my fatass up an go get it .
Most of the time NO .
I wish you luck .

BudSooner
9/20/2007, 06:09 PM
It's gonna be tough but now that i've decided to pony up some dough to be a sponsor..that might help keep me away from the smokes.
Olevet, 3-4 packs a day???? dAyyYyYyYyYyYyYum!!!!!!!!!!
Hell, i've only smoked about a pack a day for years and cannot imagine smoking 3-4 a day.

Thanks for all the support everyone, i'll keep ya posted if anything changes.

Harry Beanbag
9/20/2007, 06:24 PM
I've quit several times, it's really no big deal. :O

Mjcpr
9/20/2007, 06:48 PM
If you suck at quitting, try Chantix.....it worked for Mrs Mjcpr.

I didn't have as much trouble quitting as I thought I would. Good luck!

OUDoc
9/20/2007, 06:57 PM
Chantix is greatness.

Congrats and good luck to olevet and Bud. It is worth it, and within a few weeks, it gets easier. Trust me.

StuIsTheMan
9/20/2007, 07:06 PM
Chantix is greatness.

Congrats and good luck to olevet and Bud. It is worth it, and within a few weeks, it gets easier. Trust me.

but in a few weeks those two could have quite a body count by then;)

SoonerStormchaser
9/20/2007, 07:13 PM
I'm not smoking any more dammit, the next few days are gonna be a real bitch.:eek:

You could always move on to cigars...then pipes...just rotate every so often. :D

KC//CRIMSON
9/20/2007, 07:34 PM
Download this free Quit Keeper. It's actually pretty cool and aided me in quitting.:cool:

http://www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk/screens.htm

olevetonahill
9/20/2007, 07:35 PM
Chantix is greatness.

The welbutron almost did it . Where I get chantel ? will She help me thru the HARD times ?
:D

FirstandGoal
9/20/2007, 10:36 PM
Wow, this thread makes me flash back to last August when I finally got the guts to quit. Did it without the chantix and went cold turkey..... oddly enough I decided to quit the night before I left for vacation because I figured that getting out of my regular routine for the first few days would help. I think it was what got me through that first week and I am still smoke free over 13 months later after being a 1-2 pack a day smoker for almost 20 years.

Even if you don't succeed this time around, don't be afraid to keep trying.

olevetonahill
9/20/2007, 10:45 PM
Making up MY Mind to quit Is the easy part !
Its the stickin to it thats tuff !:eek:

BudSooner
9/20/2007, 10:52 PM
End of day 1, i've not killed anyone yet but the weekend is coming up so I might want to save the body count for when it's needed.
There is always the Tampa Bay game after all. :(

StuIsTheMan
9/20/2007, 10:53 PM
Ah hell lVet sorry I left me phone at home, I was watch'n the boy's practice Foozeball...sorry...Gawd I love laptops...Just so ya know I am making Sooner fans outta a hole bunch of kids...I wear my C&C everywhere...all of Bubba's team is commingover to watch the tulsa game...and the kids are comming around...better then them wearing puke green and coffeee pee yellow...JMO

olevetonahill
9/20/2007, 10:55 PM
Good jorb

frankensooner
9/21/2007, 09:36 AM
I quit dippin eight or nine times until it finally took. Your body and your checkbook will appreciate it.

TexasSooner01
9/21/2007, 10:26 AM
I too want to quit the cigs. I have considered Chantix. But then I heard that it has been linked to causing violent temper outbursts and confusion in some people. I havent ran this by my doc yet to see if there is any truth to it.

I am allergic to the patches, those worked alright. I am still working up the bawls to just lay them down and quit. I will get there eventually, I hope.

Good Luck,I hope it works for you.

OUDoc
9/21/2007, 10:30 AM
I too want to quit the cigs. I have considered Chantix. But then I heard that it has been linked to causing violent temper outbursts and confusion in some people. I havent ran this by my doc yet to see if there is any truth to it.

Haven't seen nor heard of this yet. Seems to have few side effects.

Whet
9/21/2007, 11:12 AM
I quit several times, the last was about 20 years ago. The hardest part was that habit of lighting one up after a meal.... Instead, I starting eating carrots or other similar food stuff. The only side-effect was my weight gain, which I am still dealing with (easy to put on, difficult to keep off). However, my Doc at the time said weight gain is better than continuing to smoke....

I also kept a small jar of cig butts and when I felt like slipping, I would open up the jar and take a whiff of those butts - That would keep me from wanting to light up!

It does get easier with time, but believe it or not, I still have an occasional dream where I am smoking a cig.....

Recently, we were cleaning out our basement and in some old boxes were some items we had during the smoking years - we could still smell the smoke on them!

Think about washing/drycleaning all of your clothes/ coats/ jackets to get the smell out. Also, think about repainting the interior of the house, for the same reason. Doing those tasks is kind of a catharsis - a clean break from that former habit!

Now, when I am near/next to smokers, I find myself thinking, "Did I smell like that?" We dine on non-smoking areas (if there is any smoking allowed), avoid the smoke-holes, and don't even own an ashtray!

Just hang in there and you can make it!

TexasSooner01
9/21/2007, 11:14 AM
Haven't seen nor heard of this yet. Seems to have few side effects.

Thanks Doc!!

That is makes me feel better about taking it. I just hate taking pills, I will when I have to, just don't like to.

I was thinking that Chantix has been out long enough now that those type of side effects would be known.

rufnek05
9/21/2007, 01:35 PM
once you get past the 3rd day it's all downhill. now when you get drunk it's a different story.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/21/2007, 03:05 PM
For almost everyone, it's quit or chop years off your life, and perhaps having some IMMENSELY PAINFUL years among those left.

FirstandGoal
9/22/2007, 01:40 PM

I am allergic to the patches, those worked alright. I am still working up the bawls to just lay them down and quit. I will get there eventually, I hope.

Good Luck,I hope it works for you.

As a pharmacist who has dispensed tons of Chantix, I have not yet heard of a patient complain of this. It would be interesting to see what rates the placebo group had on this as well. Anybody can tell you that the violent temper outbursts and confusion could very well just be a side effect of the not smoking rather than the drug. Either way, I would counsel any patient of mine that the benefit much outweighs the potential risk.

Your allergy to the patches is more than likely a reaction to the adhesive, not the medecine so I would advise maybe trying the otc lozenges or seeing your doc and getting a prescription for the spray if you don't want to take the Chantix.

And for any of you guys who dare complain to your pharmacist about the cost: Think of what you pay just for 30 days of ciggies-- then come back and complain! :P

King Crimson
9/22/2007, 02:08 PM
you can do it. i quit five years ago. don't miss it at all.

critical_phil
9/24/2007, 11:05 PM
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2723/vhbabyft7.jpg

captain_surly
9/25/2007, 05:37 PM
I have a can't fail forumla for quitting. Have a massive heart attack at 51. 6'2", 175 total cholesterol 146 no family history of heart disease, reasonably regular exercise. My only real risk factor was a pack a day of unfiltered Pall Malls for 30 plus years.

If not for that I would have been one of those 67 year old guys in a wheel chair hooked up to an oxygen tank talking about how I needed to quit while puffing away. I promise, I was as addicted as you can be.

When I think I really need a cigarette I try to remember what it was like for my wife that night in the ER in that little room where they put the families of people who probably aren't going to make it. Listening to the doctor saying we're doing everything we can but he's not likely to survive.

I don't mean to be all melodramatic and stuff but smoking is almost always going to shorten your life. And I really hope that matters to someone other than just you.

Good luck, feel to PM for advice, council or sympathy if you like.

BudSooner
9/25/2007, 06:05 PM
Actually its going quite well and there seems to be a population dip here in Tulsa...though I'm not sure if its connected or not.
The habit of reaching into my pocket to grab a smoke is one of the harder things to rid myself of, however i've subbed in some gum(something I don't care for)and it seems to be working pretty good.

Side note, my weight has gone up..again. As of February this year, my weight was 265 and over the course of the summer my weight had dropped to 226. Now it's going back up, but that will also get under control asap.

9/25/2007, 06:13 PM
Wow. Capt. Surly really stepped up there. My father was in the exact same boat as you... Fairly young man struck firmly with a heart attack. He survived (he was 49 at the time) and quit smoking immediately after his bi-pass. He will be celebrating his 76th birthday in 2 weeks and I can't imagine a better poster child.

Godspeed in your efforts to quit. Those you love will appreciate it more than you know.