PDA

View Full Version : EGAD, pneumonia!

slickdawg
9/20/2007, 11:54 AM
Monday was one of the scariest days of my 39+ years.

In my near one hour of driving home from work, I went from feeling ok, to start aching a bit, to severe aching all over. No fever, just severe muscle and joint pains.

I get home, and go straight to the batroom, fill the tub up with hot water, and dive in. Slickwife knew something was bad wrong at that moment, I only take showers.

Then when I got out of the tub, chills from hell ensuedand lots of sweating. I assumed it was the flu kicking in due to the rapid onset and the precipitous decline in my helath in a few hours. The whole night was miserable as my temp climbed to 103.5

Tuesday, I go see the doc, explain the symptoms, he does bloodwork and chest xrays - "bud, you've got pneumonia" :eek:

His words "I know it sucks, you are not a smoker nor are you in a high risk group, sometimes this just happens".

Then comes the cure is as bad as the illness - a megashot of rocephin.
It's apparently as think as Karo syrup. Literally the biggest pain I've ever had in my ***, and I've had a number of shots over the years.

Fortunately, the up all night with chills and sweating is over, but the cough is making me sore now. I'm not touching slickwife or slickdaughter as a precaution. This completely :succs:

frankensooner
9/20/2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah, it does suck. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids. When I had it, my wife locked me away in the guest room and brought me copious amounts of soup. The room started to smell like nursing home, but I kicked it in about a week.

Good luck!

OklahomaRed
9/20/2007, 12:00 PM
Rocephin won't hurt as bad if they dilute it with some 0.5% Lidocaine rather than straight up NS or Sterile Water. Did he give you some take home meds? Rocephin is good for about 24 hours, but a one time dose often does not kick Strep Pneumoniae. A z-pack? Some Levaquin? :confused:

OklahomaRed
9/20/2007, 12:02 PM
Also, all you old guys out there, go get your Pneumovax shots ! :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/20/2007, 12:06 PM
I've had it a couple of times. Very nasty stuff. It used to kill people back in the old days. Still can, if you don't take care of it.

sooneron
9/20/2007, 12:07 PM
Pneumonia rawks!!! I lost 15 pounds due to walking pneu only 2 months before my wedding. Greatness!

Of course, getting up periodically several times a night to cough up a lung, was not much fun.

slickdawg
9/20/2007, 12:09 PM
Rocephin won't hurt as bad if they dilute it with some 0.5% Lidocaine rather than straight up NS or Sterile Water. Did he give you some take home meds? Rocephin is good for about 24 hours, but a one time dose often does not kick Strep Pneumoniae. A z-pack? Some Levaquin? :confused:

Funny - the nurse said she mixed lidocane in with it, but said it usually still hurts pretty bad. I agreed with her on that.

And yes, 7 days of levaquin plus mucinex dm to break the crud up.