PDA

View Full Version : US and Candian Dollars hit Parity for first time since 1976

royalfan5
9/20/2007, 11:10 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/09/20/canadiandollar.html?ref=rss

It's slipped back to .99 now.

frankensooner
9/20/2007, 11:33 AM
That should put a dent in US tourists up there!

FaninAma
9/20/2007, 12:11 PM
And since Canada has a commodity based economy I fully expect the Canadian dollar to continue to gain v. the USD.

HoserSooner
9/20/2007, 02:25 PM
Yes, get ready for an invasion of money-spending hosers.

royalfan5
9/20/2007, 02:32 PM
Yes, get ready for an invasion of money-spending hosers.
and how about taking the Coyotes back to Winnipeg where they belong? Maybe pick up a team for Quebec City while you're at too.

OklahomaTuba
9/20/2007, 02:35 PM
This is great news for people manufacturing and making things in the US for Canadians.

The low dollar is really making the orders pour in. American engineering & quality at all time low prices.

HoserSooner
9/20/2007, 02:36 PM
and how about taking the Coyotes back to Winnipeg where they belong? Maybe pick up a team for Quebec City while you're at too.

Good idea on putting the Coyotes back in Winnipeg, especially with Gretzky as the coach.

Quebec City though maybe not. Put one in Halifax or somewhere in Saskatchewan first. Not a big fan of that province.

OklahomaTuba
9/20/2007, 02:37 PM
Yeah, screw Quebec.

royalfan5
9/20/2007, 02:39 PM
Good idea on putting the Coyotes back in Winnipeg, especially with Gretzky as the coach.

Quebec City though maybe not. Put one in Halifax or somewhere in Saskatchewan first. Not a big fan of that province.
Come on, the Nordiques were great. The Habs I could do without though.

frankensooner
9/20/2007, 02:52 PM
This is great news for people manufacturing and making things in the US for Canadians.

The low dollar is really making the orders pour in. American engineering & quality at all time low prices.

I heard a report this am that said the savings was not being passed back to the Canuk consumers. I guess that would kind of hurt any increased sales.

HoserSooner
9/20/2007, 02:53 PM
Come on, the Nordiques were great. The Habs I could do without though.

Yeah, I guess I'd have to agree.

The only thing worse than a Longhorn fan, is a Habs fan.

OklahomaTuba
9/20/2007, 02:56 PM
I heard a report this am that said the savings was not being passed back to the Canuk consumers. I guess that would kind of hurt any increased sales.

Just means someone is getting better margins, that's all.

FaninAma
9/20/2007, 03:39 PM

Too bad our manufacturing base is but a shell of what it was 30 years ago. I don't think this country can take advantage of a lower USD.

We have no textile industry.

Our automobile manufacturers are struggling to stay solvent.

Most of our electronics industry has sailed for better shores.

Refresh my memory on what areas of manufacturing the US still dominates?

And remember, the Japanese and Chinese still have their currencies pegged to the USD so no advantage will be gained with those 2 countries.

tommieharris91
9/20/2007, 03:47 PM
Too bad our manufacturing base is but a shell of what it was 30 years ago. I don't think this country can take advantage of a lower USD.

We have no textile industry.

Our automobile manufacturers are strongly to stay solvent.

Most of our electronics industry has sailed for better shores.

Refresh my memory on what areas of manufacturing the US still dominates?

And remember, the Japanese and Chinese still have their currencies pegged to the USD so no advantage will be gained with those 2 countries.

You can thank outsourcing of labor due to high US labor wages for not having any manufacturing. Thank you, everybody that is in a labor union. Ohh, and thank those people who learned that money should be spent immediately and not saved for the weakening dollar, as well. Their credit rating (and the US "credit rating" with other countries as well) sucks for this reason.

jkjsooner
9/20/2007, 03:53 PM
We can thank helicopter Ben Bernanke for trying to inflate away the housing bubble. If the predictions about more rate cuts are true, he will kill the dollar - and possibly bail out the idiots who paid three times what their house should be worth.