PDA

View Full Version : BCS Championship Game

Sooner_Havok
9/19/2007, 07:01 PM
You know, for all the talk about the BCS is broken, I think it has done its job pretty well. Each year it creates a game that is, at least before hand, an interesting game to play. Granted, some of the games end in lopsided scores, but going into the games, the match-ups always look pretty good. Back in the MNC days, would we have seen an OSU Florida game? Probably not. A USC Oklahoma Orange Bowl? Again, probably not.

Add on top of that the fact that for the last nine years, the BCS has spread the love around crowning 9 different national champions.

98 Tennessee
99 Florida State
00 Oklahoma
01 Miami
02 Ohio State
03 LSU
04 Southern California
05 Texas
06 Florida

It looks like that streak may end this year if any of the top 4 teams win it, (I personally like that team at number 4, good looking team there:D ) but in the end the BCS generates all this talk and speculation all year about the "What Ifs" of college football. It gives us folks here on the message boards something to talk about, it keeps the sports networks in business (for better or worse), and it gives us some pretty damn good bowl games at the end of the year.

Would a playoff system be more "fair"? Probably, but it would make college football just like every other sport. Anyone here doubt that the Red Sox and Yankees will make it to the Playoffs? Honestly, anyone here think that the Pats or the Colts won't reach the Playoffs? Will USC make it, what about LSU or Florida? No one knows, and to me that is what makes the whole season interesting, not knowing. In a playoff system, Meat-Chicken could still become National Champions. That would make that Appy State upset almost meaningless.

SteelClip49
9/19/2007, 07:43 PM
of all the seasons, 2001 was the most confusing.

Had Oklahoma defeated OSU, they would have defeated CU in the XII title game and would have faced Miami.

Had Texas defeated Colorado in the XII title game, Texas would have faced Miami.

Had Nebraska defeated Colorado, Nebraska most likely would have won the Big 12 and gotten the shot at Miamii.

Colorado annihilated Nebraska, 62-36. Nebraska gets first loss.

Other one loss teams before bowls:
Maryland, Illinois, Oregon.

2 loss Colorado finished #3 in the final BCS standings ahead of the above 3 one loss teams.

1 loss Nebraska had just lost to Colorado but was .05 ahead of Colorado and got the bid to the national title game.

Despite the other 1 loss teams, 2 loss Colorado finished with a better ranking and had more of a legit gripe to play Miami.

2001 was just proof that the Big XII was very good and at the end they basically eliminated themselves despite NU receiving the championship bid.

colinreturn
9/19/2007, 07:46 PM
its only the 3rd week guys, alot will happen.

usmc-sooner
9/19/2007, 07:55 PM
of all the seasons, 2001 was the most confusing.

Had Oklahoma defeated OSU, they would have defeated CU in the XII title game and would have faced Miami.

Had Texas defeated Colorado in the XII title game, Texas would have faced Miami.

Had Nebraska defeated Colorado, Nebraska most likely would have won the Big 12 and gotten the shot at Miamii.

Colorado annihilated Nebraska, 62-36. Nebraska gets first loss.

Other one loss teams before bowls:
Maryland, Illinois, Oregon.

2 loss Colorado finished #3 in the final BCS standings ahead of the above 3 one loss teams.

1 loss Nebraska had just lost to Colorado but was .05 ahead of Colorado and got the bid to the national title game.

Despite the other 1 loss teams, 2 loss Colorado finished with a better ranking and had more of a legit gripe to play Miami.

2001 was just proof that the Big XII was very good and at the end they basically eliminated themselves despite NU receiving the championship bid.

OU would not have beaten CU that year. By years end we could not score at all.

Sooner_Havok
9/19/2007, 09:02 PM
its only the 3rd week guys, alot will happen.

Umm, that is my point exactly. A lot will happen, and I am looking forward to it happening. It is shaping up to be one hell of a year in college football.

Crucifax Autumn
9/19/2007, 11:45 PM
This looks to be the best season in years, that's for certain.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/20/2007, 10:19 AM
I like our chances, I like the way we match up with them, the team is playing in a great way.

Widescreen
9/20/2007, 10:27 AM
The BCS is certainly better than the previous one. It's still a cheap substitute for a playoff though.

CincySooner
9/20/2007, 12:35 PM
OU would not have beaten CU that year. By years end we could not score at all.

maybe... but CU would have had a hard time scoring too. NO ONE could run on OU in 2001.

whitehelmutsagain
9/20/2007, 05:28 PM
OU / TEXAS A + M MAY ULTIMATELY BE TOUGHER THAN OU/TX.:twinkies:

NCSooner18
9/20/2007, 06:24 PM
Of course the fun thing about the previous system is that you might have 4 or 5 bowl games that had an effect on the MNC.

If team A can beat team B, and team C and beat team D, and we can beat team F...........

It mad the bowl games more meaningful and fun to watch...at least for me.

hink4769
9/20/2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah the BCS isn't perfect, but it still pretty much guarentees that a top 3 team will win the national championship. Plus it makes college football by far the most exciting regular season. Every week the teams aiming for the NC have something on the line. It also makes it kinda exciting when your at the game and you watch the scores rolling and you see the teams that are in the NC hunt but are in trouble, like WVU against Marshall a couple weeks ago or Wisconsin against Citadel last week. Its kinda cool how theres a buzz around the stadium when those scores roll by.

GottaHavePride
9/20/2007, 07:58 PM
OU / TEXAS A + M MAY ULTIMATELY BE TOUGHER THAN OU/TX.:twinkies:

Not the way A&M's playing miami right now...