Ann's
Del Rancho (some of them)

Suggestions?

Norm In Norman
2/11/2004, 10:42 AM
Kendall's

OUDoc
2/11/2004, 10:44 AM
Ann's, though I haven't been to Kendall's.

ultimatesooner1
2/11/2004, 10:48 AM
Kendall's

exactly

Eddie Money
2/11/2004, 10:56 AM
Where is this Kendalls you speak of?

OUthunder
2/11/2004, 11:00 AM
Soda Pop's

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/11/2004, 11:03 AM
Mine & my Mom's
The Hungry Traveler in Henryetta

Paperclip
2/11/2004, 11:17 AM
Pistols in Del City
Onion Barrel used to be the place for a steak sandwich, but haven't been there in years.

NYSooner1355
2/11/2004, 11:21 AM
You people suck...bringing up a thread like this...now I'm craving a chuck house chicken fried steak and there is NOWHERE around here to get anything even close to that!

bastiges...

KaiserSooner
2/11/2004, 11:24 AM
The best chicken fried steak I've ever had was at a now defunct greasy spoon on Shields and SE 59(or so) in OKC. The place was called Moore's. Man, they had great gravy and mashed taters too.

Norm In Norman
2/11/2004, 11:27 AM
Where is this Kendalls you speak of?

On Berry a bit south of Robinson in Norman. It used to be in Noble, but I think that one closed down when they opened in Norman.

Just don't go on Monday.

Enrico Palazo
2/11/2004, 11:29 AM
I've been to Ann's. It sucked.

Babe's in Roanoke, Texas, has the best chicken fry. Kendall's is a close second.

jk the sooner fan
2/11/2004, 11:30 AM
best chicken fried steak (and the biggest) is here in San Antonio - Lulu's Jailhouse Cafe

Paperclip
2/11/2004, 11:38 AM
Babe's in Roanoke, Texas, has the best chicken fry.

Hmm, I have a customer in Roanoke, TX. Might be time for a visit.

GDC
2/11/2004, 11:39 AM
The Hungry Traveler in Henryetta

Hell yes.

Or maybe Jerry's in Tahlequah ;)

Norm In Norman
2/11/2004, 12:01 PM
best chicken fried steak (and the biggest) is here in San Antonio - Lulu's Jailhouse Cafe

At Kendall's, the small CFS is about 10" round (if it were perfectly round) and probably an inch or more thick. Whenever I get it, I generally eat half and save the second half for a sandwich the next day - and I'm a big ol' boy. The large is 2 of those side by side. The time I ordered the large, they had it on 2 plates (one for the CFS and one for the sides).

I'm just saying it is big.

jk the sooner fan
2/11/2004, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure how big they are at Lulu's but I'm a big boy too and cant finish one.....they cover the oval shaped plates. Kendalls might be bigger or just as big, not sure.

I've not tried it, but would willingly sacrifice myself for that kind of science

the sad thing is, they take a steak and pound it out to where its bigger but paper thin, most of what you're eating is the deep fry coating........not that i'm complaining

RacerX
2/11/2004, 12:07 PM
MMMMMMM...deep fry coating.

Norm In Norman
2/11/2004, 12:10 PM
I really don't know why they even bother with the steak part.

C&CDean
2/11/2004, 12:11 PM
Get the Kendall's large chicken fry. You can eat till you bust, take the rest home, and make about a 6-pack of sandwiches out of it.

My problem at Kendall's is that I like the super cheeseburger so much I hardly ever order the chicken fry.

Norm In Norman
2/11/2004, 12:14 PM
I generally get the catfish. Maybe I shoudl try the hamburger some time. The CFS makes me feel sluggish for a week.

Norm In Norman
2/11/2004, 12:15 PM
Oh, and the play area is friggin' genious. And so is having dinosaur shaped chicken.

salth2o
2/11/2004, 12:15 PM
59 Diner in Houston

C&CDean
2/11/2004, 12:16 PM
They used to call it the "wheelburger." If you order by that name, most of them still know what you're talking about.

Wheelburger with cheese, all the fixins', jalapenos, and onion rings. Killer.

Salt City Sooner
2/11/2004, 02:12 PM
Best one I ever had was at Womble's down in Kingston. Unfortunately, I heard it burned down a while ago. :(

OUBabe
2/11/2004, 02:18 PM
My vote goes with Kendalls too....but I have no problem eating the whole thing

Norm In Norman
2/11/2004, 02:33 PM
My vote goes with Kendalls too....but I have no problem eating the whole thing

HOLY COW! I am a man-mountain and can't eat the whole thing.

OUBabe
2/11/2004, 03:13 PM
All my friends hate me ...I can maintain my ideal weight yet eat whatever I want...but I am active type of person who burns it right off

Mjcpr
2/11/2004, 03:14 PM
All my friends hate me ...I can maintain my ideal weight yet eat whatever I want...but I am active type of person who burns it right off
But why do your friends hate you?

crawfish
2/11/2004, 03:35 PM
Babe's in Roanoke, TX. Endorsed by the King himself!

Crusader
2/11/2004, 03:46 PM
Thomas' in Pryor used to have a great chicken fry, unfortunately I haven't been there in years.

SOONtobe#1
2/11/2004, 03:47 PM
Used to be a place Houston called Dirty's (they might of shut down)
it covered the plat and was good......

I believe the place is called Sam's.........it's off of I-45 in Madisonville, Tx
(between Houston and Dallas).........great buffet (everything is fresh).....
although the buffet looks and smells great I always order the CFS ...after eating I make
wife finish the drive home (to Houston) or make her drive
to the state line if we are coming up

fadada1
2/11/2004, 03:50 PM
i've gotta agree with kendall's. went to it a few times when it was in noble (didn't realize they had moved). great food, but it sure did come back with a vengance about an hour later. ooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

but, great food.

scotplum
2/11/2004, 05:17 PM
I've been to Ann's. It sucked.

Babe's in Roanoke, Texas, has the best chicken fry. Kendall's is a close second.

What the hell? I think you suck (and lie)! ;)

Ann's is definitely the best I've had and I've had a lot.

King Crimson
2/11/2004, 05:26 PM
is the Norman Kendall's where Sooner BBQ used to be, years and years ago? i used to love going there with my parents. that's just south of robinson on berry? or that weird western looking place that was a couple chinese places? originanlly it was the "hitchin post". then it started to devolve into cheap space/bad location and failure after failure.

C&CDean
2/11/2004, 05:28 PM
That's it KC. I think Kendall's will be the one/only restaraunt to make that location work.

scotplum
2/11/2004, 05:29 PM
Why is it that I lived in Norman for four and a half years (1 year on Robinson (right on Westwood golf course)) and never have even heard of Kendall's? I'm sorry but I'm a little skeptical. I'll try it out next time I'm in Norman though.

King Crimson
2/11/2004, 05:30 PM
and BTW, without spoiling the fun, this is usually june or july off-season SO stuff. we've done this one a thousand times.

next Best BBQ.

it's february.

King Crimson
2/11/2004, 05:35 PM
yeah, but forget that, the landscape of Chicken Fry is always changing. and we've lost the Barry's zealots. the CHX Ranch was OK. nothing special. gravy was really thin.

JMO.

:)

SOONER44EVER
2/11/2004, 05:38 PM
There is a place in Weeleetka that has the biggest chicken fry I ever saw. Its very good too. They bring you 2 plates. 1 for the steak, it covers the entire plate!! The second plate has fries. salad etc.

TAFBSooner
2/11/2004, 05:41 PM

(The subway ghost in Ghost) Jailhouse Cafe! What I wouldn't give for one more of their huge chicken fried steaks with cheese instead of gravy . . . (/subway ghost)

scotplum
2/11/2004, 05:43 PM
yeah, but forget that, the landscape of Chicken Fry is always changing. and we've lost the Barry's zealots. the CHX Ranch was OK. nothing special. gravy was really thin.

JMO.

:)

Yeah, I didn't think Barry's Chicken Fry was anything to write home about either.

C&CDean
2/11/2004, 05:54 PM
scotplum,

It's because they've only been in Norman for about a year or so. They used to be in Noble.

scotplum
2/11/2004, 05:56 PM
scotplum,

It's because they've only been in Norman for about a year or so. They used to be in Noble.

Ah ha! Well, then I'll definitely need to check it out. Probably a good thing it wasn't there when I was in school then. :)

Boarder
2/11/2004, 06:22 PM
and BTW, without spoiling the fun, this is usually june or july off-season SO stuff. we've done this one a thousand times.

next Best BBQ.

it's february.

Bob's BBQ. Only one dork I know didn't like it. But, he did win an intramural national football championship and is one heck of a bowler, so I'll let it slide.

Norm In Norman
2/11/2004, 06:25 PM
Make my dinner, b****!

Boarder
2/11/2004, 06:26 PM
Hmmm, what happens when you gripe at the chef at a restaurant? Hmmmm....

Norm In Norman
2/11/2004, 06:31 PM
Sorry, sir. Can I have a glass of water please?

Eddie Money
2/11/2004, 06:33 PM
I'll say it - Barrys Chicken Ranch flat out sucked. So what? I wouldn't want Bob Stoops to work on my car; we all have our place.

jk the sooner fan
2/11/2004, 08:07 PM
(The subway ghost in Ghost) Jailhouse Cafe! What I wouldn't give for one more of their huge chicken fried steaks with cheese instead of gravy . . . (/subway ghost)

you've been there huh?

thats the SAPD Special.....

GeneralCartmanLee
2/11/2004, 08:13 PM
Kendall's
By Far Kendall's, and their Catfish is damn good as well!

King Crimson
2/11/2004, 11:51 PM
i see how it is.

pretty clever, you two.

:razz:

BajaOklahoma
2/11/2004, 11:59 PM
The old A&A Cafe on Britton Road in OKC.
Biscuits & gravy. Chicken Fried steak. Real mashed potatoes with lumps, not boxed junk.

soonerboomer93
2/12/2004, 12:03 AM
there's a place in houston, by the sam houston tollway, next to the horse track that has huge chicked fried steaks. they served them on pizza pans. I could barely eat the whole thing, pretty good gravy too.

OU Champ
2/12/2004, 02:03 AM
J&M's Diner in Eufala
I also gotta go with the CFS I inhaled at 6am at the KC Ameristar after a night of craps and cards while drinking the sooner nations troubles away. It was at that little diner place i think... dont remember too well.

Norm In Norman
2/12/2004, 08:49 AM
J&M's Diner in Eufala

That place has the best catfish I've had. When I was a kid we used to go there whenever we visited our lake property.

TAFBSooner
2/12/2004, 11:23 AM
you've been there huh?

thats the SAPD Special.....

Good times.

Brianna's for the tortilla soup.
Tower of the Americas Restaurant for the view.
Jailhouse Cafe for the SAPD Special.
Happy Guy for the General Tso's Chicken.
Fajita booth at NIOSA because it's even more fun to work the booth than to go as a customer.
Little Red Barn.

San Antonio food tour coming up in ____ months!

GDC
2/12/2004, 02:25 PM
when in san antonio hit la focaccia downtown for great italian

MamaMia
2/12/2004, 03:15 PM
I'll have to try a Kendalls.I liked the one that Texas Road House makes.

Norm In Norman
2/13/2004, 08:57 AM
when in san antonio hit la focaccia downtown for great italian

There is also a place in San Antonio called Houston Street Bistro over by the children's museum. I have dreams about the ravioli I had there for lunch one day. Everything there was awesome.

My story about that place is the day we went it was raining. Me my wife and son walked in wearing shorts and T-shirts and I was soaking wet because I let my son have my umbrella and all of our hair was all frizzy because of the rain (and it was about 95 degrees to boot). Well, everyone there was wearing a business suit, the waiters and staff were all wearing black slacks white shirts and black ties and there were tablecloths on the table. The host asks us how many and I replied "Nevermind, we are way underdressed for here." He said "NONSENSE! You are in San Antonio - everyplace is casual here. This is just the business crowd, so don't worry about it." Well, of course we sit down and look at the menu and there is no child's menu. I asked the waiter if they had plain spaghetti for the boy and he said "Well, not really but I will ask the chef what we can do." So the chef whips up some angel hair pasta with a nice marinara sauce for him that wasn't even on the menu and they only charged us like 4 bucks. And it was awesome too.

I ended up tipping the waiter like 30% because they worked so hard for us and the food was so good. I never get that kind of service here.

jk the sooner fan
2/13/2004, 09:07 AM
San Antonio is definitely a great restaurant city.....I've been to the La Focaccia....not my favorite but its good

and folks if you want a good time, come down in April during fiesta (note hotels are a bit kooky with their rates this time of year)....NIOSA is a blast

NIOSA = Night in Old San Antonio......they block off the "La Villita" area and its a beer and food fest....people everywhere, good times!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/13/2004, 11:46 AM
Why don't we all just stay at your place? We can save $$ on hotels that way.

GDC
2/13/2004, 02:20 PM
San Antonio is a great place, even if it is in Texas...I'll be there next weekend for the rodeo.

GDC
2/23/2004, 12:44 PM
ttt

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/9/2006, 04:47 PM
I had CFS at Jimmy's Round Up. I got the smaller one and it was huge! Very tasty. It's on Berry in Norman, I think where Kendall's used to be.