PDA

View Full Version : Hey Mike , other bankin types. a ?

olevetonahill
9/18/2007, 08:56 PM
When My kid went onto Iraq with the Initial invasion . He had me send him a Grand US he bouyght iraqi Money . He said its gone up about 300 bucks worth in the 5 or so years hes held .
Should he continue to hold It?
He brought it Home with him . Any advice I can pass on ?

JohnnyMack
9/18/2007, 09:09 PM
How do you say "mason jars" in arabic?

olevetonahill
9/18/2007, 09:17 PM
How do you say "mason jars" in arabic?
Allah akJar ?:confused:

critical_phil
9/18/2007, 09:18 PM
Allah akJar ?:confused:

BWWAHAHAHhahahahahAHAHHAHAHAaaaa

Soonerus
9/18/2007, 09:20 PM
sell....

olevetonahill
9/18/2007, 09:22 PM
sell....
Why ?
It aint mine its the Kids , If 31 is a kid .
He says it increased buy about 30 % or so .

Hamhock
9/18/2007, 09:24 PM
i had several buddies who, against my advice, loaded up on dinar after the invasion. as far as i know, they've lost their arses.

you can find a calculator online to see what the dinar are worth today.

Soonerus
9/18/2007, 09:24 PM
My feeling is Iraqi money is just as likely to go valueless as anything, very unstable, IMO....

Frozen Sooner
9/18/2007, 09:29 PM
When My kid went onto Iraq with the Initial invasion . He had me send him a Grand US he bouyght iraqi Money . He said its gone up about 300 bucks worth in the 5 or so years hes held .
Should he continue to hold It?
He brought it Home with him . Any advice I can pass on ?

I truly have no idea whatsoever. Sorry. :(

OCUDad
9/18/2007, 09:30 PM
$300 in 5 years is slightly under 6% annual appreciation, compounded. There are less risky investments that could return at least that much. Heck, there are CDs that return 5.75%, which is just about what he's made. And Soonerus is right (surprise), Iraqi money ain't the most dependable investment.

olevetonahill
9/18/2007, 09:33 PM
i had several buddies who, against my advice, loaded up on dinar after the invasion. as far as i know, they've lost their arses.

you can find a calculator online to see what the dinar are worth today.
His future Bride told him dont Also . But like a tru kid of mine , He did what he wanted :D
This Jan . they will have been married 3 yrs :cool:
He could just be tellin me its gone up . Hell if I know .
Or he could bot a camel instead :P

olevetonahill
9/18/2007, 09:36 PM
$300 in 5 years is slightly under 6% annual appreciation, compounded. There are less risky investments that could return at least that much. Heck, there are CDs that return 5.75%, which is just about what he's made. And Soonerus is right (surprise), Iraqi money ain't the most dependable investment.
Thanks Dad thats kinda what I needed to know . So In Yalls Opinion he should dump it and put the Now 1300 In Microsoft or sompun ?

Soonerus
9/18/2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks Dad thats kinda what I needed to know . So In Yalls Opinion he should dump it and put the Now 1300 In Microsoft or sompun ?

Have him to send it to me and I will take care of it for him...btw, congratulations and thanks to your son for his service for our country....

OCUDad
9/18/2007, 09:51 PM
Vet, I'm not a financial manager, so I really wouldn't want to advise your son. So much depends on what he wants to do with the money. He's young, so he might be able to afford taking greater risks than an old fart like me - growth stocks, for example. If he wants safety, there are CDs and other low-risk instruments. The upside isn't as great as stocks, but the downside is less, too.

If he decides to invest in Natty, I suggest he keep the account away from his old man.

olevetonahill
9/18/2007, 09:53 PM
Vet, I'm not a financial manager, so I really wouldn't want to advise your son. So much depends on what he wants to do with the money. He's young, so he might be able to afford taking greater risks than an old fart like me - growth stocks, for example. If he wants safety, there are CDs and other low-risk instruments. The upside isn't as great as stocks, but the downside is less, too.

If he decides to invest in Natty, I suggest he keep the account away from his old man.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Good advice
Rus Ill talk to him , Dad put it in perspective with the 6% thing .
Thanks guys !

Petro-Sooner
9/18/2007, 10:08 PM
This thread ties in nicely with one I might start. I've thought about getting a finacial planner but why waste money on that when theres the SO. Long term I want to become a hermit in colorado. Serious. Since I'm two months into my first job anyone out there recommend high or low risk? I'm really new to this stock/401k thing, I'm wondering.

OCUDad
9/18/2007, 10:10 PM
I've thought about getting a finacial planner but why waste money on that when theres the SO. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Soonerus
9/18/2007, 10:11 PM
diversification depending on your suitability...

Petro-Sooner
9/18/2007, 10:13 PM
A fool and his money are soon parted.

I say that very louse heartedly. :) But there is some serious to it.

Soonerus
9/18/2007, 10:16 PM
I am in the OCUDad camp, low risk...

OCUDad
9/18/2007, 10:34 PM
I say that very louse heartedly.:eek:

Shneeg11
9/18/2007, 11:02 PM
Tournament Poker or Blackjack, if you want real stability...roulette

tommieharris91
9/19/2007, 01:50 AM

If he really wants to buy some foreign currency, he should buy Euros. But foreign currency is very volatile, and is definitely not a smart long-term investment for an individual. Most all risk associated with the stock market is usually less than any foreign currency, and usually lesser long-term reward comes with it.