PDA

View Full Version : Is Tulsa our best Opponent Yet?

David Earl
9/18/2007, 09:45 AM
I'm not trying to be silly here, you people.

I know the Canes have a tough defense, at least the front 7. But Tulsa is undefeated and has a salty offense. They whipped BYU who isn't great, but they're not awful either.

I'm not trying to say it will be a close game. However, I'm wondering if they'll be our toughest test yet. It should be the toughest test for our defense thus far.

StuIsTheMan
9/18/2007, 09:51 AM
I think so.

Cryami wasn't that good to start the year. I think they will finish strong to help us out later. But the golden showers are pretty decent. I think we should handle them pretty easily. not saying we will hang a half a hundred on them, but a win none the less.

Widescreen
9/18/2007, 09:53 AM
Paul Smith is really good. He's actually one of my favorite non-OU players. Reminds me a lot of Heupel. So there is reason for concern. However, their defense is pretty bad and our defense is really good. I think we win by 2-3 touchdowns.

badger
9/18/2007, 09:55 AM
Ok, so we're playing an undefeated opponent... technically, North Texas was undefeated too... but Tulsa's coming off a win, but technically, Miami was too... but Tulsa has something to prove by beating a much better historically program, but Utah State technically was too...

So basically, mush UNT, USU and the U all into one, add an "s" and an "a,
scramble the letters and you've got TULSA UN.

The difference is that it is on the road, but I would assume that after the UNT thrashing, many of you Sooner fans did what NP and I did and logged onto TU's Web site and ordered tickets... so hey, home away from home game!!! :D:D:D

JohnnyMack
9/18/2007, 09:58 AM
I would assume that after the UNT thrashing, many of you Sooner fans did what NP and I did and logged onto TU's Web site and ordered tickets... so hey, home away from home game!!! :D:D:D

I just walked up to the ticket office yesterday and got me one.

Where are you guys sitting?

badger
9/18/2007, 10:03 AM
I just walked up to the ticket office yesterday and got me one.

Where are you guys sitting?
Well, we received the envelope last week, I suppose now would be a good time to open it...

Let's see...

Section Z, Row 24... NP paid $75 for these each?!?!?! Tickets at Owen Field are less than this! Outrageous!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

SoonerEmpire
9/18/2007, 10:04 AM
I'm not too sure that Tulsa is our best opponent yet. The jury is still out on Miami. However, I do think they will give us our toughest competition yet. Tulsa always seems to play us hard, at least for a little while before we wear them down. Having said that, OU should win this game handily.

JohnnyMack
9/18/2007, 10:06 AM
Well, we received the envelope last week, I suppose now would be a good time to open it...

Let's see...

Section Z, Row 24... NP paid $75 for these each?!?!?! Tickets at Owen Field are less than this! Outrageous!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I know. I bought a mini-pack ticket for $107. Ouch.

Hope I can get something for the other two tickets (Houston and UAB) to reduce my cost.

TopDawg
9/18/2007, 10:11 AM
This will be our toughest game yet because it's almost a toss-up on whether they're our best opponent, and we're playing on the road.

Are they our best opponent? I've gotta think Miami had better athletes, but they spent much of the game running around like our guys did under John Blake. I've also gotta think that Tulsa's players will be better prepared than Miami's were. To over-simplify...which combo is better: unprepared super-athletes, or prepared football players?

I think the difference between Tulsa's preparation level and Miami's will be greater than the difference between their respective athletic ability which makes me think Tulsa might be our best opponent. Plus, a team that can move the ball on offense is always tougher than a team that can't.

Yes, the jury is still out on Miami but I know what I saw and that was a bunch of guys running around like they didn't know what was going on half of the time. Miami might go through the rest of the season undefeated, but I'm not convinced what we see from Miami for the rest of the year is any indication of how good they were when we played them (unless they continue to look confused all year long but win simply on their ability to out-athlete their opponents).

stoopified
9/18/2007, 10:14 AM
Offensively yes.Defensively and athletically no.OUr D will get its toughest test.OUr offense will roll up NAME THE SCORE NUMBERS.

David Earl
9/18/2007, 10:15 AM
It seems to be a general consensus that Tulsa is as good or better than others we've played so far.

If you had told me last winter that by this time I'd be thinking Tulsa was our toughest game so far I'd have told you to GADOCADWI. College football is nuts.

The Maestro
9/18/2007, 10:16 AM
Tulsa would probably split with Miami based on who was at home...but since this is in Tulsa and our first time to be away from our home atmosphere, probably the toughest one yet.

mikeelikee
9/18/2007, 10:25 AM
Yes, they will turn out to be our toughest opponent so far. At least for the first half. After their defense begins to tire, Patrick and Murray will have a field day, as will Sam and our receiving corps. As I said, they will prove to be our toughest opponent to-date. That means we'll only win by four touchdowns.

Landthief 1972
9/18/2007, 10:30 AM
I'll say this: I'm glad that TE they had in 2005 is gone. He tore us a new bunghole in that game. If our D has a weakness, I'd say it was the underneath pass. It's about the only way any team has moved the ball on us. A good TE could really do some damage that way.

Ash
9/18/2007, 10:33 AM
I agree with some of the things people are saying here, but for me Miami and Tulsa are head-to-head in terms of which is the toughest so far.

The reason being, they're both incomplete teams. Miami's D is far better than their offense, but not as good as advertised. Tulsa clearly has an explosive offense run by a veteran QB, but has shown that their D can be torched by an equally talented team (i.e., BYU).

We'll see. This is one of those games that I get the feeling some whacky **** could happen and the game is closer than expected. But with the way our offense is playing, and the way their D gives up yards and scores, I wouldn't be surprised if Bradford and co. have another huge day.

It comes down to how well our D can slow down their offense.

jccouger
9/18/2007, 12:28 PM
I'd be telling a lie if I said I wasn't nervous. I'll be glued to the TV for this one. Crazy upsets have happened this year, and this is just another reason to worry.

Dan Thompson
9/18/2007, 12:36 PM
Yes, Tulsa's passing game will test our DBs if there OL can hold our defense long enough for Paul Smith.

boomersooner28
9/18/2007, 12:37 PM
Toughest game...but we cover.

RedstickSooner
9/18/2007, 12:42 PM
The biggest reason Tulsa worries me is that it's a Friday game. For whatever reason, these Friday night games seem to be upset specials.

Plus, all the talk about getting left out of the national championship if we go undefeated... As I said in another thread, that also makes me worry about Tulsa beating us.

PhiDeltBeers
9/18/2007, 12:46 PM
Not only will we hang half a hundred on that awful defense, I won't be surprised to see us in the 70's again. But only if we struggle on defense and SB stays in a little longer.

toast
9/18/2007, 12:47 PM
Offensively yes.Defensively and athletically no.OUr D will get its toughest test.

Agreed.

TU will have their moments, but our depth and athleticism across the board should win out in the long run.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/18/2007, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99659

Yo! Quit stealin' mah mojo DE... :D

David Earl
9/18/2007, 01:51 PM
It was prolly your thread that got me to thinking along these lines.

Scott D
9/18/2007, 02:39 PM
*shrug* technically we're just facing another high school offensive scheme ;)

MichiganSooner
9/18/2007, 03:38 PM
Agree with most that Miami has more good athletes but Tulsa is probably the better team playing with what they have. I think we can exploit their defense for sure. Paul Smith is very good. As well as Sam has performed this year, I still think Paul may be the better QB at this point. He is not only accurate even when knocked off his feet and throwing while his body is prone to the ground floating in air but he is just plain smart. The kid has an excellent GPA, comes from a good family which includes his Dad and brother being high school coaches, he is a good leader for the team. Reminds me of Heupel in these regards. I just picked OU to beat them by 21, although I changed that pick from Tulsa. Summary, this game worries me more than I thought it would. I hope the coaches and players come in ready to play the A game. If the Sooners come out flat, we are in trouble.

Scott D
9/18/2007, 04:33 PM
I'd hope Paul Smith would be the 'better' quarterback at this point. He's 23.

SoonerKnight
9/18/2007, 05:21 PM
I thought Paul Smith threw 4 INT's in the BYU game? If he does that against OU it will be our defense that could outscore our offense. I think that Tulsa will try and throw the short routes but I think we stop them short they get 200 yards offense total for the game and our offense will score in the first 30 seconds of the game assuming they get the ball first. Final score 51-6.

Monster Zero
9/18/2007, 05:58 PM
I'm not trying to be silly here, you people.

I know the Canes have a tough defense, at least the front 7. But Tulsa is undefeated and has a salty offense. They whipped BYU who isn't great, but they're not awful either.

I'm not trying to say it will be a close game. However, I'm wondering if they'll be our toughest test yet. It should be the toughest test for our defense thus far.
Yes.

Tulsa is our best opponent so far, but we'll score more points than them. A bunch more.

badger
9/18/2007, 06:24 PM
I know. I bought a mini-pack ticket for $107. Ouch.

Hope I can get something for the other two tickets (Houston and UAB) to reduce my cost.
These must be the private college markups from public universities.

Private Tuition: $40,000 per year
Public tuition: $2,500 per year

Private football tickets: $75-100 for crappy seats
Public football tickets: $40ish for crappy seats

Don't tell me you can't get a quality education (or football game) at a public university for a cheaper price! :D:D:D

SoonerBOI
9/18/2007, 06:26 PM
Our secondary will be tested to the hilt!

Mark_of_Tulsa
9/18/2007, 06:27 PM
Good chance that this will be Tulsa's only loss this year with their schedule. They may be ranked by the end of the year.

Crucifax Autumn
9/18/2007, 10:57 PM
They may be the best team we play all season honestly. We're gonna take 'em easy, but not as easily as everyone else we play.

Soonerus
9/18/2007, 11:01 PM
I hate this type of Pre-Tulsa propaganda...r u kidding...

birddog
9/18/2007, 11:21 PM
49-24 us. give the points and take the over.

Crucifax Autumn
9/19/2007, 12:10 AM
I hate this type of Pre-Tulsa propaganda...r u kidding...

I just think everyone besides OU sucks so technically they could all be tied for "best we play". As far as I am concerned there is only one College Football Team and a bunch of others with pending applications.

william_brasky
9/19/2007, 12:22 AM
I think the answer to the original question is probably.

Their O is more potent than anyone we've faced.

Their D is suspect, so I bet they'll be bringin' the house at Sammy.

It's OUr first road game.

Everyone's been pattin' our kids on the back tellin' 'em how good they are.

Sooners 38, Tulsa 24

birddog
9/19/2007, 12:33 AM
i'm less worried about this game than i was about the miami game. i just don't think they have the talent to hang with us. of course, that's what i thought about boise but this is a much improved sooner team. i still say 52-24.

Crucifax Autumn
9/19/2007, 12:57 AM
Maybe 72-24, but only if we give up 12 safties trying to run out the clock.

aurorasooner
9/21/2007, 01:03 AM
BYU: Tulsa was a very very sneaky team. Is it legal in CFB to have a player switch jerseys and enter the game with a different number to deceive the other team?
Tulsa was a very very sneaky team PDF | Print | E-mail
Daily Herald

At one point during the BYU-Tulsa football game, junior linebacker David Nixon was in coverage on yet another Golden Hurricane gadget play. The pass was actually intended for Tulsa quarterback Paul Smith, but fell incomplete. Nixon asked Smith, "How many trick plays do you guys have?"

Smith just laughed.

Tulsa had plenty, and seven of the eight gadget plays they ran worked for good yardage in its wild 55-47 victory. It's one of the problems the BYU defensive coaches have faced in the first three weeks of the season and will face the next four weeks: The first seven Cougar opponents of 2007 have either new offensive coordinators (Arizona, UCLA, New Mexico, UNLV, Eastern Washington) or a completely new coaching staff (Tulsa, Air Force).

The BYU defensive coaches did a pretty good job with Arizona and UCLA but failed miserably (by Bronco Mendenhall's own admission) against Tulsa.

The Golden Hurricane were particularly, well, tricky. Tulsa showed almost none of its playbook in an opening game victory over Louisiana-Monroe, and what it did show, it didn't use against BYU. Nixon said BYU prepared specifically for two running plays -- the ride option and the stretch handoff -- but Tulsa didn't run either of those plays a single time on Saturday.

Tulsa was also tricky in other ways. It's offense lines up so the coaches in the press box can scope out the opposing defense. The Tulsa offense then stands up and looks to the sideline, where the coaches and players hold up flash cards and a white board to indicate the play. It's difficult for a defense to disguise its coverages and the process was certainly effective against BYU.

Tulsa also achieved an edge by deception. Backup quarterback David Johnson was listed as wearing No. 5 on the roster, but when he entered the game to throw a halfback pass in the third quarter, he was wearing No. 28.

Why you would switch your quarterback's number from 5 to 28? Did his jersey get torn in pre-game warm-ups? Did they donate it to charity right before the game? Did the jersey get caught in one of those sideline cooling fans? There's only one reason for the jersey change, and the deception worked.

Finally, conspiracy theorists abound on the Internet, where several Cougar fans are insisting Tulsa's defensive players faked injury to try and halt BYU's offensive momentum. One poster claimed he counted nine times where Tulsa players feigned injury, then ran off the field and re-entered the game.

If true, that strategy didn't work so well, since BYU posted 47 points. But you get the point.

Tulsa used everything in its arsenal to avenge an embarrassing loss in Provo in 2006. Will the Golden Hurricane have anything left for Friday's in-state battle with the No. 4 Oklahoma Sooners?

BYU's defense was exposed on Saturday in a lot of ways. Tulsa, which had 15 days to design its game plan, attacked BYU's linebackers vertically and succeeded with three touchdown passes to fullback Charles Clay. Tulsa attacked BYU's senior-laden secondary down the field as well. The Cougars were confused most of the game, seeing things it hadn't seen on film or in practice and the BYU coaches couldn't make adjustments fast enough.

What has to get Mendenhall's blood boiling is that two of BYU's supposed strengths -- linebacker and offensive line -- were huge letdowns against Tulsa.

The cry from fans now is that Mendenhall is taking on too much as the head coach AND defensive coordinator. Funny how no one suggested that last season when BYU was 11-2.

While BYU attempts to recover from such a poor defensive performance, Air Force is going to try and adapt Tulsa's success to its own offense. Air Force is throwing the ball more this year under new head coach Troy Calhoun. The Falcon receivers don't have near the same speed as their counterparts at Tulsa but Air Force does have some big, physical receivers who can be difficult matchups one-on-on. You can bet Calhoun will take some shots downfield.

The other thing about Air Force is after three straight wins, the Falcons are confident.

BYU is still searching for its identity.

With the MWC title and a bowl berth still left to play for, the Cougars had better find it quickly.

Crucifax Autumn
9/21/2007, 01:08 AM
Well, they may have a few more tricks to pull out of their sack...err...bag, but that just means we'll have to rely on the football instincts of what is shaping up to be one of our greatest defenses yet.

I have every bit of faith that between well-coached football discipline and natural talent we'll sniff out any trickery they still haven't shown.

And in advance for those who may point it out...Screw Boise, that was last year!

KantoSooner
9/21/2007, 01:24 AM
This year's version is starting to remind me of the 85-87 sooner Defenses. The thing I most remember about them was the joy that they shared in destroying their opposition.
Far more than strength, meanness or attitude, I think an opponent who is enjoying every second of playing against you is the most terrible thing to face there is.

Crucifax Autumn
9/21/2007, 01:34 AM
Good way to say that...

aurorasooner
9/21/2007, 01:35 AM
I hope our OL blows them about 10 yards off the ball and AP, CB, and DM have a track meet with Sam only having to throw about 10 or 12 passes. It's time for our running game to kick some butt in the 1st quarter against a fresh D. BV could make a big statement on national TV for a head-coaching job with our defense pitching a shut-out in the 1st half and holding them to about 2 or 3 TDs in garbage time. It's just hard to figure out if the team will be as fired up as our fans are to put a hurtin' on Tulsa. After last weeks Aggie Black Friday, and all the Pub the Tulsa O has had this week, I would think our D comes out kickin' Tulsa azz, but I don't know.