PDA

View Full Version : Hornfans meltdown

fossil
9/17/2007, 05:51 PM
Gang, can I just tell all of you what great fans you seem to be. I just came from the Hornfans.com message board and they are in meltdown mode on several threads over there. More folks already declaring that OU will win the RRS shootout than those who are sticking by their Horns.

You guys were right, they are a bunch of bandwagon fans who still fantacize about VY. Great to see some of those 'true Texas fans' get a large dose of reality.

Also, props to someone who calls themselves TXSooner518. He was on one thread give them hell. Dude, whoever you are, you have nads. It is a wonder you didn't get baned for some of the things you said (they were true, just didn't figure the mods over there would let you disagree with anyone on that board).

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!

CatfishSooner
9/17/2007, 06:15 PM
SOONER!!!!

Mark_of_Tulsa
9/17/2007, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't call that a bandwagon fan, but more like one in touch with reality. Nothing wrong with admitting another team is better. I give them props for admitting that their arch rival is better than they are this year.

The last 2 years I would admit that they were better than us. But I think it's pretty obvious that we are better this year. Doesn't mean we are a guarantee to win, because you never know. But we are going to be the favorites in this game barring and injury to us.

utex74
9/17/2007, 09:43 PM
Gang, can I just tell all of you what great fans you seem to be. I just came from the Hornfans.com message board and they are in meltdown mode on several threads over there. More folks already declaring that OU will win the RRS shootout than those who are sticking by their Horns.

You guys were right, they are a bunch of bandwagon fans who still fantacize about VY. Great to see some of those 'true Texas fans' get a large dose of reality.

Also, props to someone who calls themselves TXSooner518. He was on one thread give them hell. Dude, whoever you are, you have nads. It is a wonder you didn't get baned for some of the things you said (they were true, just didn't figure the mods over there would let you disagree with anyone on that board).

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!

Meltdown is a bit strong but a term used frequently here, so be it. There are just as many posts from Horns who have a positive take. No one doubts OU is playing better than Texas over the last three games. If we play tomorrow, you win. But we don't play tomorrow. We have mistakes to correct, a young OL to keep working and players coming back from suspensions/injuries. Anything can happen in this game. And probably will. Upsets are almost the norm.

I also notice that many, not all, of our posters who are saying we are doomed have less than 25 posts. Meaning they have never been through a tough season until the end of last year's and are just getting on line to bitch. (I've had season tix since 1985) Hopefully, they'll grow up. And so will our team.

goingoneight
9/17/2007, 09:54 PM
I'm not counting UT out of this game until it's over... or until we are up 49-0 at halftime... then I might make an exception. :D

The beauty of the RRS is the fact that no one really knows until it's played. It's not like Bed-dumb where you know you'll escape Stoolwater and destroy them at home. It's not like the Lone Star Showdown where aggy comes up with new and innovative ways to lose and still find a moral victory. The RRS stands 57-39-5 in favor of UT all-time. However, since women stopped playing baseball and young men were actually able to do something besides boot camp... add about 100 rules changes (the modern era), its a game you never take for granted.

Show up in pride, fill the Cotton Bowl from wall-to-wall, right down the middle... ranked, unranked or pwned several years in a row and watch the magic happen.

Crucifax Autumn
9/18/2007, 12:19 AM
I'd have to agree with Goingoneight, that truly is the magic of this game.

But the other fun thing about the RRS is screwing with each other and making outrageous predictions. Until I moved to Nevada I'd never watched a RRS without having a few Texans around to argue and talk smack with. And after all those games even though one of us was bruised and bleeding and the other was beaming with pride, we'd stil have a few more beers and watch the rest of the day's games.

I seriously can't predict the outcome of this game, and yet...

I say OU 67- TU 6

sooner518
9/18/2007, 12:22 AM
it wasnt me!

Sooner in Tampa
9/18/2007, 05:56 AM
I don't know about a meltdown, but his is just funny

Nice effort on your post, but I'm still taking the vaseline to Dallas. It's going to be a RRBF reminiscent of the early 2000s. We're just not very good.

Sooner in Tampa
9/18/2007, 06:58 AM
I also notice that many, not all, of our posters who are saying we are doomed have less than 25 posts. Meaning they have never been through a tough season until the end of last year's and are just getting on line to bitch. (I've had season tix since 1985) Hopefully, they'll grow up. And so will our team.
I'll call BS on that there real quick for ya

HornBud (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=HornBud&Number=5203128&Board=football&what=showflat&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1&vc=1)5000+ posts
I'm not worried about losing to OU, I'm convinced we will. I'm worried about a thrashing and losing by 30+

Spankytoes (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=Spankytoes&Number=5202892&Board=football&what=showflat&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1&vc=1)500+ posts
If ou doesn't pass, we may keep it within a few TDs http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

OUrules
9/18/2007, 07:01 AM
I was at the UCF game.....all the Horns around me had a look of disgust on their faces and when I taunted them, most agreed with me that they are not that good this year....it was sooooo much fun...

Okieflyer
9/18/2007, 07:17 AM
it wasnt me!
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue56/rock2.jpg

Sure it wasn't. ;)

fossil
9/18/2007, 07:57 AM
Meltdown is a bit strong but a term used frequently here, so be it. There are just as many posts from Horns who have a positive take. No one doubts OU is playing better than Texas over the last three games. If we play tomorrow, you win. But we don't play tomorrow. We have mistakes to correct, a young OL to keep working and players coming back from suspensions/injuries. Anything can happen in this game. And probably will. Upsets are almost the norm.

I'm just saying that were my team 3-0 after having squeaked by three less than powerful opponents, I sure as hell would not be conceding anything in the RRS. It is just amazing to me the number of posters on Hornfans.com who are already saying Texas will lose to the Sooners in Dallas. Bet you wish you could take them all out behind the barn for a little orientation, huh?

fwsooner22
9/18/2007, 08:14 AM
C'mon Guys......how many times have we gone down there thinking we were going to lose, drinking way too many morning, paper cup, beers, sneak in with a flask of whiskey and end up partying after a win til 5 in the morning.

Let's kick their butts first.

I will still be having way too many paper cup beers before the game. They are a bargain at $3.25 for 8 ounces and gosh they are almost luke warm.

We do play Tulsa this week right?

TexasLidig8r
9/18/2007, 08:16 AM
Fossil, it also seems to be a product of bad karma this past year. You look at the off field issues, the arrests. You look at the two offensive linemen flunking out of school, one of whom would be starting right now. You look at the injuries sustained this year so far.. Sweed, Pittman, Ulatoski, Orakpo.

When you combine character issues with mediocre performance, your fan base is going to be discontent.

It happens to all fan bases. In fact, I can recall at the RRS game two years ago, I had never seen so much burnt orange on the Oklahoma side of the stands. There were posts on here chastizing Oklahoma "supporters" for selling their tickets to Texas fans.

The fans who are bitching loudest tend to be the ones who don't know the history of the greatest college football game going. They forget or don't know about those Peter Gardere years when Texas won even though OU was clearly the superior team. They forget the Smells of Bourbon year when OU won. They forget the overtime game that a John Blake team won (even though again, arguably Texas had the better talent).

This will be my 30th Texas - OU game this year. The uniqueness of the game is something not to be missed. And yes, there will be smack talking on here and with my OU fans that week... and then either graciously enjoying the win or being magnanimous in defeat. That is just the way of things.

Oh. and by the way.. OU DOES inhale with great force and furious anger. :D

OUDoc
9/18/2007, 08:21 AM
So does yo momma! ;)

crawfish
9/18/2007, 08:34 AM
I was there in 1996, so I'm not gonna get overconfident. If we could win THAT one, anything can happen...

Theskipster
9/18/2007, 08:42 AM
I did enjoy this thread (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=5203737&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=3&vc=1) called Is One MNC Good Enough. They aren't in meltdown mode, but most of them are finally admitting what OU fans have been telling them for years.

1. OU is better than Texas this decade.
2. Vince Young was the reason for Texas' success.
3. Bob Stoops is a better coach than Mack Brown
4. Winning Conference Championships is important

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/18/2007, 08:46 AM
It doesn't take nads to post something on the internet...

fossil
9/18/2007, 08:58 AM
It doesn't take nads to post something on the internet...
I think it does when what could be defined as mild smack somtimes gets you baned from Hornfans.com. Depends on what kind of mood the MODS are in.

soonerloyal
9/18/2007, 09:03 AM
utex & Lid, I appreciate your posts there. Even with all the smacktalk, with every single horns down hand I throw to anyone having a Tx license plate even down here in FL, with every moment I spent as a very young girl drinking in Sooner pride and tradition and learning to insult the horns (and passing all that down to my own children) I enjoy the hell out of this rivalry. I love when good, true fans from both sides find that delicious balance between pride and unwarranted arrogance, certainty and delusion, smacktalk and illbred rudeness. Not all fans can find and ride that sweet spot. I think most of us who post here do.

And it's true RRS fans who know that this game throws every damn statistic, rating, logic and rules of the universe straight into the can. All hell breaks loose on that field the Saturday in October when OU and UT meet. And only true RRS fans know that this game IS THE (civilian) college football rivalry that other teams only imitate.

I appreciate y'all being here, and once again preparing with us to watch the gridiron battle that is about to unfold.

We're gonna kick y'all's six so hard your dog'll bleed. :D

JohnnyMack
9/18/2007, 09:08 AM
I'm not so quick to think that this Saxet team is all that bad. The O line is young, but we knew that going into the season. Offensively they still have McCoy under center, a nice one-two punch at running back, some really talented receievers (Sweed, Jones, Cosby, Shipley, Pittman) and Jermichael Finley at TE.

They're stout up front on D (although lacking depth) and the secondary is young and has looked confused at times this year, but these are both things we knew going into the season. Now that some of Cell Block C is being released and allowed to play again, they'll probably come back to speed on defense just in time for us.

They have a scrimmage against what could be the worst team in the country this weekend and then a nice tune up against KSU next week. Make no mistake, they'll be ready and they have more than enough talent to beat us if we walk into the Cotton Bowl expecting to win.

sooneron
9/18/2007, 09:30 AM
They forget the Smells of Bourbon year when OU won.
Uh, you are confusing us with aggy, we don't claim a tie as a win.

Speaking of knowing the history.:D

badger
9/18/2007, 09:49 AM
looks like you're not going to answer our five in a row anymore, eh, Texas ;)

in all seriousness, they will be tougher than Miami... just because of the location. road games are always tough, but they're not an opponent to overlook.

then again, it doesn't look like ou's overlooked any of our cupcakes so far this season :D:D:D

RiddlerOK
9/18/2007, 10:13 AM
Everyone is aware that in the RRS, it's all about the focus the team brings week in, week out. The Sooners last really showed it in 2000. Taking care of business is the theme......keeping the focus is the objective. I can't recall a year where Oklahoma went into the RRS with a level mindset and businesslike attitude and didn't come away with the win. The closest would have to be the 1984 15-15 tie when the weather and a couple of horrible calls by the refs snatched the win away from them. I think it's obvious that Texas isn't a focused team right now. Let's hope they don't become one by October 6th. Even if they do, I'm not sure they have enough weapons available on offense to overcome Oklahoma's defensive pressure and they certainly won't if the Sooners are equally focused.

picasso
9/18/2007, 11:45 AM
Hornfans.com is chock full of pricks, regardless of how their team is playing.

cjames317
9/18/2007, 11:56 AM
Fossil, it also seems to be a product of bad karma this past year. You look at the off field issues, the arrests. You look at the two offensive linemen flunking out of school, one of whom would be starting right now. You look at the injuries sustained this year so far.. Sweed, Pittman, Ulatoski, Orakpo.

When you combine character issues with mediocre performance, your fan base is going to be discontent.

It happens to all fan bases. In fact, I can recall at the RRS game two years ago, I had never seen so much burnt orange on the Oklahoma side of the stands. There were posts on here chastizing Oklahoma "supporters" for selling their tickets to Texas fans.

The fans who are bitching loudest tend to be the ones who don't know the history of the greatest college football game going. They forget or don't know about those Peter Gardere years when Texas won even though OU was clearly the superior team. They forget the Smells of Bourbon year when OU won. They forget the overtime game that a John Blake team won (even though again, arguably Texas had the better talent).

This will be my 30th Texas - OU game this year. The uniqueness of the game is something not to be missed. And yes, there will be smack talking on here and with my OU fans that week... and then either graciously enjoying the win or being magnanimous in defeat. That is just the way of things.

[sniff] I'm touched. Somebody hand me a red beer so I can **** burnt orange.

MextheBulldog
9/18/2007, 12:19 PM
The fall off the national title mountain is always painful. And Mack has lost his VY mo.

OUDoc
9/18/2007, 12:21 PM
Hornfans.com is chock full of pricks, regardless of how their team is playing.
pic is always good for a quote.