PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Smith vs. Dominique Franks as punt returner

SoonerSinger3
9/17/2007, 01:26 PM
I am a little biased because I graduated with Dominque Franks in highschool, but I truly think Franks looks better on punt returns than Reggie. Reggie seems to dance around too much and never just picks a seam. Franks seems to find the hole better and just runs. I know that freshman(actually he's redshirt frosh)handling the ball is dangerous, but whadda you guys think??

dolemitesooner
9/17/2007, 01:28 PM
I think I will neg you?

Boomer.....
9/17/2007, 01:30 PM
Reggie Smith just hasn't seemed as explosive on kick returns since he got hurt early last season.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/17/2007, 01:32 PM
Reggie looks a bit faster than Franks. They both are talented and capable of breaking it.

The Maestro
9/17/2007, 01:33 PM
Good topic and totally agree. A punt returner needs to catch the ball and start running like his *** is on fire and the water is in the end zone. Reggie has been dancing and waiting for holes, but so few punt returns are taken back...if you can get 10 yards out of the deal you've done a good job. Just get to moving north and south instead of waiting. I think Franks has earned more time as long as he holds onto the ball everytime.

Pigface1
9/17/2007, 01:37 PM
They need to stop screwing around and put Demarco back there.

IronSooner
9/17/2007, 01:38 PM
The USU game was the first time I've seen Franks, but he looked a step faster and more straight-ahead than Reggie. Our blocking could probably improve too, but I like what I've seen from Franks so far. Two jukes max, then run.

Pricetag
9/17/2007, 01:38 PM
Good topic and totally agree. A punt returner needs to catch the ball and start running like his *** is on fire and the water is in the end zone.
Especially the "catch the ball" part. There's so much judgment involved in a punt return that I'll take a guy with experience like Smith over a younger guy, even if he never takes another one to the house.

Well, shoot--I somehow missed your last sentence where you said pretty much the same thing I did.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/17/2007, 01:40 PM
I don't care who is back there as long as they catch the ball and hang onto it.

I can't say I have watched Franks all that much but I think there needs to be some sort of rotation back there to see what works the best ala O line last year.

StoopTroup
9/17/2007, 01:41 PM
I thought the same thing during the game.

I think DF is definitely making a case for the job.

We'll probably see him again this week is my guess.

Maybe the Coaches are preparing him for down the road however...

bosworthsteroidmafia
9/17/2007, 01:49 PM
Give me Reggie any day, the guy is tough as nails and a true leader. Yeah, he dances a bit and makes some risky decisions. But overall, I would trust his experience over Franks. Franks' time will come.

I wonder if we'll start seeing DM back there on occasion. Now that's a potential home run threat you just can't ignore... about the only reason I could see them keeping Murray from KR/PR is fear of injury.

yermom
9/17/2007, 01:56 PM
Franks was in and looking good against UNT as well

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/17/2007, 02:06 PM
Franks was in and looking good against UNT as wellwhat's with "go gators"? (to beat LSU?)

My Opinion Matters
9/17/2007, 02:07 PM
I am a little biased because I graduated with Dominque Franks in highschool, but I truly think Franks looks better on punt returns than Reggie. Reggie seems to dance around too much and never just picks a seam. Franks seems to find the hole better and just runs. I know that freshman(actually he's redshirt frosh)handling the ball is dangerous, but whadda you guys think??

You know how I know you're wrong about this?

Good topic and totally agree.

wdupyall
9/17/2007, 02:11 PM
Dom Franks should be the punt returner. Next Demarco Murray.

GottaHavePride
9/17/2007, 02:44 PM
There's a lot of Reggie-h8rs in here.

Partial Qualifier
9/17/2007, 02:49 PM
Stoops said in his press conference today that they would stick with Dominique because "he has a real knack for it" and they want to "give Reggie a break" because he's "already on the field a considerable amount"

yermom
9/17/2007, 03:06 PM
what's with "go gators"? (to beat LSU?)

teh Pride sux0rs, that's what's with it ;)

The Maestro
9/17/2007, 03:09 PM
You know how I know you're wrong about this?

WTF? Did I miss a smiley face or do you have some internet message board issue with me?

Sounds like Coach Stoops agrees...if that works for you and your opinion that matters and all.

colleyvillesooner
9/17/2007, 03:10 PM
Franks was in and looking good against UNT as well

till he fumbled. ;)

yermom
9/17/2007, 03:12 PM
oh yeah :O

SoonerBOI
9/17/2007, 03:23 PM
Reggie dances around and tries to create an in your face return but susceptible to fumbles. Don't get me wrong, I like Reggie but Franks kinda surprised me last saturday.

ucosooner
9/17/2007, 05:00 PM
I think Dom has done good in returns this season. I think if we can protect just a bit better, he can be one of the top guys in the nation. Love Reggie, but sometimes he scares me with some of the punts he tries to return. He gets hit a lot, and I would hate to see him get injured returning a punt. We need him on D.

D-Sweet
9/17/2007, 05:25 PM
The punt return blocking is not there right now. I didn't get to see the Utah State game (on the West Coast and not cool with shelling $30 for an obvious beatdown), but Reggie didn't have much space against UNT or Miami. Perhaps the punts are high and shallow, but it sure seems like opposing gunners are getting by the OU blocks.

Reggie will make something happen if given the opportunity. The only reason I'd pull him is to prevent possible injury. That's one guy we absolutely can't afford to get hurt.

Sooner_Havok
9/17/2007, 05:44 PM
I think if we got a guy that can return punts half as good as Reggie, throw him in there! Dominique is pretty good at that job, not as good as Reggie, but who is? I just hate having our best athlete out there on one of the most dangerous plays in football. We would be just fine if we lost Dom (No offense, but he doesn't do much else) but if we lose Reggie....raise your hand if you want D.J. back at corner again.

TXBOOMER
9/17/2007, 06:35 PM
Franks seems to be more explosive. Reggie looks pretty explosive when he gets returnable punts though. They have played punters with serious hang time this year. I'm glad we have both of them. They are both playmakers.

SoonerDood
9/17/2007, 07:45 PM
Reggie just doesn't seem to have that Killer Instinct that Perkins, Thatcher, and even Jarrail Jackson had.

man00
9/17/2007, 09:52 PM
Franks is faster than Smith, Reggie isn't known as a speed guy at all.

Widescreen
9/17/2007, 09:57 PM
If Franks can catch the punt and not immediately fall into a fetal position, I'm good with it.

colleyvillesooner
9/17/2007, 09:59 PM
If Franks can catch the punt and not immediately fall into a fetal position, I'm good with it.

Doesn't help that we're not blocking the gunners for ****...

goingoneight
9/17/2007, 10:04 PM
Franks better damn well prove he can hold onto the ball if he's OUr PR. He was astounding in high school, but he has a bad habit of sticking the ball out in front of him and fumbling the punt. The little things come with time, but we can't afford mental mistakes this year.

emoinwinter
9/17/2007, 11:01 PM
What is the problem with us blocking the gunners? Every game the gunners get past our guys. Would it be too much of a risk to put two people on each gunner? We aren't rushing the punters so I see no reason to have everybody at the line. Opinions?

Crucifax Autumn
9/18/2007, 12:43 AM
Yeah...Our blocking seems to stink...So Isay rather than blocking the gunners, we start trying to block the punts. Either we get better field position if successful or we stack up that many more yards on the long drives.

Either ones seems cool to me!

SoonerSinger3
9/18/2007, 11:10 AM
I think Dom has done good in returns this season. I think if we can protect just a bit better, he can be one of the top guys in the nation. Love Reggie, but sometimes he scares me with some of the punts he tries to return. He gets hit a lot, and I would hate to see him get injured returning a punt. We need him on D.

Yeah Reggie is certainly talented at punt returner, but you hit the nail on the head. He scares the s*** outta me on every return. Yeah occasionally he has a really good return, but he just dances too much. I will probably get blasted for this, but Dom Franks reminds me of Perkins in the way that he runs. He is silky smooth, waits for the hole, makes a few moves, and then he's off. Reggie is more sporadic, spins 90 times, jukes side to side 50 times, almost breaks it then gets killed. I love Reggie on Defense, but I'm not so sure about him at PR. And I never have really liked him at PR.

jwlynn64
9/18/2007, 11:26 AM
Don't forget that the opposing team punts differently to Reggie than they do to Franks. Also, Franks has been getting his returns late in the game when the other teams first stringers are tired or not in the game.

As far as my opinion, I would rather see someone else back there just to reduce the possibility of Reggie getting injured. No need to lose a valuable player on defense just for a few extra yards on a punt.

ucosooner
9/18/2007, 12:29 PM
As far as my opinion, I would rather see someone else back there just to reduce the possibility of Reggie getting injured. No need to lose a valuable player on defense just for a few extra yards on a punt.

That is my main concern.

jccouger
9/18/2007, 12:30 PM
It is not Reggies fault. Our punt return blocking has been horrible. Worst part of the team I'd say so far.

Position Limit
9/18/2007, 12:45 PM
agree with jccouger on our return blocking being horrible. also, am i the only on holding thier breath everytime reggie is catching the ball? seems like a liability. but i trust stoops to play the best at each and every position so we'll see.