PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Little Secret About Nebraska

Partial Qualifier
9/17/2007, 10:41 AM
Their linebackers are prone to being 4-5 yards out of position within a second of the ball being snapped.

SC has better athletes and better coaches - sure, but the Huskers were just fundamentally bad on defense. SC was running off tackle for 10+ yards ...over ..and over ..AND OVER.

Do not discuss.

sanantoniosooner
9/17/2007, 10:43 AM
F'n Metrosexuals

JohnnyMack
9/17/2007, 10:45 AM
How very osu of them.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/17/2007, 10:59 AM
You can't tell ME what to do... PQ.... So this f'n hillbilly is a-discussin' said topic! ;)

I was watching the game with a Nebbish friend... we made the same observation... they (NU) never once broke out of, that we could tell, a base 4-3 defense.... No disguising coverages, moving linebackers around, line stunts... nothing. I don't know if they were worried about Booty picking them apart if they started getting too fancy or what. But you run that vanilla against that good a team and you are gonna get pounded unless you've got the Selmons up front. ... And NU clearly doesn't.

Partial Qualifier
9/17/2007, 11:18 AM
yep.

At halftime Iwas thinking "surely their DC's will correct that in the 2nd half" but woe, was I mistaken. Those guard/tackle gaps ought to be among their LB's primary concerns but it seemed like they were constantly out of the picture long before the ballcarrier got there.

I'm one of those OU fans who loves to see Nebraska do well so it was maddening to see such a shoddy performance on D. I'm still not sold on Callahan's approach to college football. But really, what do I know. Just my impression

royalfan5
9/17/2007, 11:24 AM
You forgot to mention that our DB's forgot how to form tackle as well.

Partial Qualifier
9/17/2007, 11:47 AM
Maybe SC's talent made the Huskers look bad, or maybe the Huskers were just TOO keyed up. That happens sometimes. I personally don't believe the talent level is THAT big though. Once SC discovered Nebraska's scheme had a hard time with that pulling/off-tackle play they milked it for all it was worth.

Really, I want SC unbeaten because I'd rather play them than LSU @ LSU again :mad:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/17/2007, 12:07 PM
Maybe SC's talent made the Huskers look bad, or maybe the Huskers were just TOO keyed up. That happens sometimes. I personally don't believe the talent level is THAT big though. Once SC discovered Nebraska's scheme had a hard time with that pulling/off-tackle play they milked it for all it was worth.

Really, I want SC unbeaten because I'd rather play them than LSU @ LSU again :mad:LSU is kinda awesome-scary, especially now with Perriloux at QB. A home game for them in the Superdome wouldn't be right.

r5TPsooner
9/17/2007, 12:26 PM
I believe that it's time for a coaching change at NU.

sanantoniosooner
9/17/2007, 12:31 PM
I believe that children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.

Veritas
9/17/2007, 01:14 PM
yep.

At halftime Iwas thinking "surely their DC's will correct that in the 2nd half" but woe, was I mistaken. Those guard/tackle gaps ought to be among their LB's primary concerns but it seemed like they were constantly out of the picture long before the ballcarrier got there.

I'm one of those OU fans who loves to see Nebraska do well so it was maddening to see such a shoddy performance on D. I'm still not sold on Callahan's approach to college football. But really, what do I know. Just my impression
Cosgrove, the DC, sucks ***. During the four years that he's been here, a pattern has emerged:

He refuses to adjust his defenses until the last minute if at all and by then it's too late
The defense tries to either strip the ball, body check the guy, and as a lost resort, use their arms to wrap a muh****a up
Our linebackers, as noted, are consistently out of position

Point 1:
Last year in the near loss to KU, he stubbornly stayed in a 4-3 cover 2 for the majority of the game while they passed all over us. Against OSU, we were getting destroyed at the line, yet he persisted with the 4-2-5 nickel. A couple of weeks ago against Wake, he didn't bring up his safeties to shut down the reverse/end around until late in the 3rd.

Point 2:
Look no farther than Cory "It's pronounced 'Mac-Q-Win" McKeon's tackling techniques. A little birdie told me that McKeon claims to employ a tackling technique called the "gator roll" whereupon he doesn't have to hit guys hard to take them down...he's worried about hurting himself and not being able to play on Sundays. This is a scenario about which he need be less than concerned as a) he's nowhere near close enough to anyone to touch them and b) the only football field he'll get near on Sundays is if he decide to coach Pop Warner.

Point 3:
This is symptomatic of the first two points, but what I've not mentioned yet is the predilection displayed by the entire D to completely bite on a simple counter play. Misdirection completely befuddles this defense.

They need to put the whole "blackshirt" name into retirement, because there hasn't been a defense worthy of the title in this decade.

Scott D
9/17/2007, 02:08 PM
Cosgrove, the DC, sucks ***. During the four years that he's been here, a pattern has emerged:

He refuses to adjust his defenses until the last minute if at all and by then it's too late
The defense tries to either strip the ball, body check the guy, and as a lost resort, use their arms to wrap a muh****a up
Our linebackers, as noted, are consistently out of position

Point 1:
Last year in the near loss to KU, he stubbornly stayed in a 4-3 cover 2 for the majority of the game while they passed all over us. Against OSU, we were getting destroyed at the line, yet he persisted with the 4-2-5 nickel. A couple of weeks ago against Wake, he didn't bring up his safeties to shut down the reverse/end around until late in the 3rd.

He's a Callahan guy, enough said.

Point 2:
Look no farther than Cory "It's pronounced 'Mac-Q-Win" McKeon's tackling techniques. A little birdie told me that McKeon claims to employ a tackling technique called the "gator roll" whereupon he doesn't have to hit guys hard to take them down...he's worried about hurting himself and not being able to play on Sundays. This is a scenario about which he need be less than concerned as a) he's nowhere near close enough to anyone to touch them and b) the only football field he'll get near on Sundays is if he decide to coach Pop Warner.

The way players 'learn' in a Callahan system.

Point 3:
This is symptomatic of the first two points, but what I've not mentioned yet is the predilection displayed by the entire D to completely bite on a simple counter play. Misdirection completely befuddles this defense.

Once again, fundamental Callahan run football.

They need to put the whole "blackshirt" name into retirement, because there hasn't been a defense worthy of the title in this decade.

I'd definitely agree with this. I think the Callahan v. Solich argument has reached the epicness of the Weis v. Willingham one.

Veritas
9/17/2007, 02:31 PM
Scott, the problem with the Raiders has been, is, and always will be Al Davis.

Scott D
9/17/2007, 02:32 PM
Scott, the problem with the Raiders has been, is, and always will be Al Davis.

well that and letting the players talk him into keeping Callahan as the head coach for 'continuity' purposes. :D

Veritas
9/17/2007, 02:36 PM
well that and letting the players talk him into keeping Callahan as the head coach for 'continuity' purposes. :D
Seriously. You can't put the failings of Kevin "Adjustments?" Cosgrove onto Callahan any more than you can put the failings of Chuck Long onto Bob Stoops.

sshusker
9/17/2007, 03:04 PM
Hey Partial - After Saturday nights performance, I don't think its a secret any longer!!!

Scott D
9/17/2007, 03:20 PM
Seriously. You can't put the failings of Kevin "Adjustments?" Cosgrove onto Callahan any more than you can put the failings of Chuck Long onto Bob Stoops.

I wouldn't be too sure...I mean if Barry Alvarez is willing to give up on you. ;)

Football Jim
9/19/2007, 12:35 AM
The Corn will never admit that their AD is an egomaniac that had his feelings bruised by the Solich bunch, so he canned him because he could. They also will never admit that f'n Callahan is a second level type of coach.

I want the corn to keep it's DC and it's HC and it's AD for many many years. They are now big red lite approaching aggie lite status. I for one LOVE IT!!!:D

goingoneight
9/19/2007, 12:38 AM
How very osu of them.

... don't you think that's a little mean? ;)

Well, it was the TROJANS. :D

85sooners
9/19/2007, 09:38 AM
it was a very ugly game

Position Limit
9/19/2007, 10:27 AM
The Corn will never admit that their AD is an egomaniac that had his feelings bruised by the Solich bunch, so he canned him because he could. They also will never admit that f'n Callahan is a second level type of coach.

I want the corn to keep it's DC and it's HC and it's AD for many many years. They are now big red lite approaching aggie lite status. I for one LOVE IT!!!:D

i'm in full agreement with football jim. i also can't understand why such a proud program seems to be ok with callahan and pedersen. we run our coaches out of town on a rail for that kind of stuff. hell, you cant even find a kind word about john blake and he played football here. nebraska fans always throw up the excuse that there was zero talent when cally took over and he's been rebuilding. i call horse****. rebuilding for 4 years with many of blowout losses. i guess if they're ok with it, so am i.

GottaHavePride
9/19/2007, 10:56 AM
I find it funny that out of Solich's 6 seasons, his records were 9-4, 12-1, 10-2, 11-2, 7-7, and 10-3. So his first year was rocky, and he had a terrible (for Nebraska) rebuilding year in 02. Other than that, his record looked pretty solid. Callahan still hasn't managed to end a season with fewer than 4 losses, and he's doing it with a lot less class than Solich did.

Veritas
9/19/2007, 11:38 AM
Solich needed to go. His record only looked solid; if you look at who he beat and to whom he lost, the direction of the program was apparent.

Furthermore, most fans don't really have connections that were in the program during those years. I do in the form of players and staffers, and trust them in their opinions there were many valid reasons for Solich's termination, primarily a dearth of discipline, a lack of focus on recruiting quality athletes, and the decay of the offensive system.

Here's where these conversations usually get derailed: the firing of Solich does not validate or invalidate the hiring of Callahan. They are two related but completely separate issues and should be examined as such.

Most fans don't make the distinction and rather descend into completely irrelevant arguments on topics like, "where would we be if Solich was here." Good lord, who the hell knows, who cares, and what would a definitive answer solve, even if such a thing existed?

The only relevant questions relate to the status and direction of the program under the current regime. For me, the jury is still out. Way out.

As it pertains to the USC game, I didn't expect us to win, but I expected us to show up. Game Day was there, the stage was set, the game was in Lincoln...one could not ask for a better setting, and that opportunity was totally and completely squandered. It's utterly frustrating for any fan that wants to see their team return to the status of being a perennial contender.

royalfan5
9/19/2007, 12:08 PM
Solich needed to go. His record only looked solid; if you look at who he beat and to whom he lost, the direction of the program was apparent.

Furthermore, most fans don't really have connections that were in the program during those years. I do in the form of players and staffers, and trust them in their opinions there were many valid reasons for Solich's termination, primarily a dearth of discipline, a lack of focus on recruiting quality athletes, and the decay of the offensive system.

Here's where these conversations usually get derailed: the firing of Solich does not validate or invalidate the hiring of Callahan. They are two related but completely separate issues and should be examined as such.

Most fans don't make the distinction and rather descend into completely irrelevant arguments on topics like, "where would we be if Solich was here." Good lord, who the hell knows, who cares, and what would a definitive answer solve, even if such a thing existed?

The only relevant questions relate to the status and direction of the program under the current regime. For me, the jury is still out. Way out.

As it pertains to the USC game, I didn't expect us to win, but I expected us to show up. Game Day was there, the stage was set, the game was in Lincoln...one could not ask for a better setting, and that opportunity was totally and completely squandered. It's utterly frustrating for any fan that wants to see their team return to the status of being a perennial contender.
what he said.

Scott D
9/19/2007, 01:44 PM

I hear there are some potentially good assistant coaches out there in the country that would be 1000% better than the entire staff currently in Lincoln :D

Oh and I think it's been pretty obvious in 3 years now that the Huskers are as likely to show up and make a real good accounting of themselves in a big game as the Domers have been under ole Charlie Weis.

Position Limit
9/19/2007, 01:54 PM

so to summerize: callahan sucks and solich won a lot of game

Veritas
9/19/2007, 02:07 PM
Oh and I think it's been pretty obvious in 3 years now that the Huskers are as likely to show up and make a real good accounting of themselves in a big game as the Domers have been under ole Charlie Weis.
Hey now, we have positive rushing yards and have scored multiple touchdowns, which is more than can be said for that collection of fairies.

But regarding good accountings in general, if past performance is an indicator of future returns, then the future is not positive. Damn you and your valid perspective.

humblesooner
9/19/2007, 03:40 PM
I am in the camp that thought Solich needed to go, also. Even though he had a decent record, if you look at who his wins and losses were against, it was time for him to be replaced. Although, it didn't show up in overall wins and losses, his quality of wins was going downhill rapidly.

Where I think NU and Pederson screwed the pooch, was in letting Solich go without having a clue what direction they were going to go. (Just my perception.)

It's almost like the Huskers have forgotten that Cally was their "settle for" candidate. Wasn't he about the 4th or 5th option?

What really blows my mind is the number of people who turned the job down. That was embarassing for NU. The Huskers were rejected by HOUSTON NUTT for chrissake. Granted, OU did the same thing with Blake. But Solich was NU's Gibbs, not their Blake. We were much in the same boat, but our AD was distracted by personal issues, besides being in over his head. Pederson appears to just be a nut case.

Hopefully, Neb will find their Stoops with their next hire and skip the "Blake" step.

Veritas
9/19/2007, 04:29 PM
Where I think NU and Pederson screwed the pooch, was in letting Solich go without having a clue what direction they were going to go. (Just my perception.)

It's almost like the Huskers have forgotten that Cally was their "settle for" candidate. Wasn't he about the 4th or 5th option?
You've said it better than I could. Pederson made the right decision but the execution was...just awful.

People here really want Callahan to be the guy, not because they particularly like him, but because they (we, I) just want to get back to where we belong. We want to buy into Callahan because the perception is that becoming successful under the current coach would take a shorter amount of time than finding a new coach and starting all over again.

Let's see how the season goes. People forget during the off-season how much losing sucks. It's one thing to talk about being ok with a three loss season; it's another to actually go through the season and deal with those losses.

NormanPride
9/19/2007, 04:52 PM
Callahan has no intention of winning big games. He's proven multiple times that he is content with keeping the score close to keep his job. His gameplan against us in 04 was pathetic, his gameplan in LA was just as pathetic, and this game he just wanted to look like he was trying and score late to make things look respectable.

You know, I think he's an ignorable sleazeball as a person, but as a coach, I actively loathe him. How can you go to practice every day and look your players in the eyes, telling them that the plan you've devised gives them the best shot at winning when you know full well that you're just trying not to embarrass yourself?

Scott D
9/19/2007, 05:06 PM
Callahan has no intention of winning big games. He's proven multiple times that he is content with keeping the score close to keep his job. His gameplan against us in 04 was pathetic, his gameplan in LA was just as pathetic, and this game he just wanted to look like he was trying and score late to make things look respectable.

You know, I think he's an ignorable sleazeball as a person, but as a coach, I actively loathe him. How can you go to practice every day and look your players in the eyes, telling them that the plan you've devised gives them the best shot at winning when you know full well that you're just trying not to embarrass yourself?

It's pretty easy for him. I mean he did take a team from going to the Super Bowl to looking completely inept and having the entire team turn on him in the span of 12 months.

Crucifax Autumn
9/19/2007, 11:31 PM
Yeah, that's a hell of a resume!

humblesooner
9/20/2007, 08:09 AM
[QUOTE=Veritas]
People here really want Callahan to be the guy, not because they particularly like him, but because they (we, I) just want to get back to where we belong. We want to buy into Callahan because the perception is that becoming successful under the current coach would take a shorter amount of time than finding a new coach and starting all over again.
QUOTE]

And you said this better than I could. I was thinking the same thing, just could not get it in writing.
I know it will be painful, but sometimes you have to cut your losses. Callahan is getting the short leash (from the fans, anyway) because of the short tunr-arounds by Stoops, Saban (@ LSU), Coker, Tressel, Carroll, etc.
Every major wants a NC in the first two years anymore.

Again, hopefully, you guys will find your Stoops with your next hire and be able to skip the Blake step.