PDA

View Full Version : IPOD Questions...

TexasLidig8r
9/17/2007, 10:11 AM
Having been, and still am, a confirmed CD person, I have been convinced it's time to go to the IPOD.

So.. enlighten me IPOD users...

How clear is the sound you get from the speaker ports?

Can songs be dowloaded into different genres, so if you want to listen to rock while working out... or blues and jazz during nocturnal activities, you can do that?

I don't care about videos on it...

I thank you in advance.

usmc-sooner
9/17/2007, 10:16 AM
you can download Boomer Sooner and play it all day.

sooneron
9/17/2007, 10:17 AM
Having been, and still am, a confirmed CD person, I have been convinced it's time to go to the IPOD.

As clear as you want it to be. Depends on earphone quality.

Can songs be dowloaded into different genres, so if you want to listen to rock while working out... or blues and jazz during nocturnal activities, you can do that?
Yes, but I don't think there is a "cross-dressing and out hunting for little boys" genre, but there is a custom option.

I thank you in advance.
But you could put all of those National champ teams from 1971 to 200.... oops, nevermind.

OKLA21FAN
9/17/2007, 10:21 AM
you can download Boomer Sooner and play it all day.
if only Lid could dload the ringtone

TexasLidig8r
9/17/2007, 10:24 AM
if only Lid could dload the ringtone

It's gonna be bad enough hearing that dammed song a ballion, quadjillion times on Oct 6.

"Oh look... Coach Stoops just flatulated.. Let's play Boomer Sooner."

"Oh look.. a horse pig fell on its face.. Let's play Boomer Sooner."

"Oh look... we lost one yard on that play.. Let's play Boomer Sooner."

OKLA21FAN
9/17/2007, 10:27 AM
It's gonna be bad enough hearing that dammed song a ballion, quadjillion times on Oct 6.

at least we didn't steal OUr fight song from..........

never mind :pop:

JohnnyMack
9/17/2007, 10:28 AM
Are you a retard?

Seriously?

Go get one.

GottaHavePride
9/17/2007, 10:29 AM

I thank you in advance.

The sound is as good as the compression rates on the files will allow. Most people won't notice a difference from CD to mp4 (or mp3, whatever).

You can sort your music by putting it into "playlists" on iTunes. The playlists will carry over to the iPod. There's no way to just "tag" songs with labels and set the iPod to play only songs with certain tags attached (I don't know why Apple hasn't done that one yet) but the playlists work pretty well.

usmc-sooner
9/17/2007, 11:32 AM

you forgot Oh look we just scored again. Let's play Boomer Sooner again.

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2007, 11:47 AM
The sound is as good as the compression rates on the files will allow. Most people won't notice a difference from CD to mp4 (or mp3, whatever).

You can sort your music by putting it into "playlists" on iTunes. The playlists will carry over to the iPod. There's no way to just "tag" songs with labels and set the iPod to play only songs with certain tags attached (I don't know why Apple hasn't done that one yet) but the playlists work pretty well.

But, you can create playlists that only play songs with certain tags.

TexasLidig8r
9/17/2007, 12:01 PM
But, you can create playlists that only play songs with certain tags.

So, you can have workout music that plays without other songs getting into the mix for example.

JohnnyMack
9/17/2007, 12:04 PM
Welcome to 2001, have we met?

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2007, 12:04 PM
So, you can have workout music that plays without other songs getting into the mix for example.

Yes, you can do this basically any way that you want or can imagine.
You can create your own playlist and just add the songs you want, or you can create a playlist that only plays songs that have a "country" tag or a "rock" tag or a "Texas Swing Music" tag. Or you can set up a playlist for whatever tag you want. If you only want to listen to songs from 1980 then you can do that.

You can also rate all your songs with a star from 0-5. I have a separate playlist for songs from each star rating plus another playlist that plays every song from 1-5 stars.

TexasLidig8r
9/17/2007, 02:16 PM
Welcome to 2001, have we met?

Flippin' hillbilly!

Now.. is your second one going to look like Doogie Howser too?

;)

rufnek05
9/17/2007, 02:45 PM
they are really user friendly

sooneron
9/17/2007, 03:08 PM
Yes , your Jazzercise tunes will be safe.

JohnnyMack
9/17/2007, 03:42 PM
Yes , your Jazzercise tunes will be safe.

Let's get physical! Physical! I wanna get physical!

TexasLidig8r
9/17/2007, 04:04 PM
I wanna get animal... animal...

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/73/039_35609~Olivia-Newton-John-Posters.jpg

nmsoonergirl
9/17/2007, 04:24 PM
They are very user friendly, and you should get one, if for no other reason than the fact that no one handles podcasts as smoothly as itunes.

Just be sure you take it out of the pocket of your running shorts before you wash them:O

rufnek05
9/17/2007, 04:44 PM
they are fairly durable too. i had a wicked downhill skateboarding crash. my iPod video was in my front pocket, and it still works fine.

Suerreal
9/17/2007, 06:11 PM
I ♥ my iPod.

Playlists work great. You can have a 10 song list that iTunes calculates will last 37:24, just right for a specific workout, or you can have 1600 songs on a big list for hard rock songs and listen for a long time without a repeat. And then a 1200 song romance playlist for relaxed evenings.

For workouts, though, probably a nano or even a shuffle (very small & lightweight, but less capacity) is better than my 60GB device that's just over half full with 7700+ songs.

iTunes is the software on your computer that lets you decide which songs to load onto your iPod. If you choose a smaller capacity device, iTunes makes it easy to change out songs.

bluedogok
9/17/2007, 11:05 PM
they are fairly durable too. i had a wicked downhill skateboarding crash. my iPod video was in my front pocket, and it still works fine.
My 40gb survived a bouncing 100 yard ride in my topcase during my motorcycle crash in April. It still works but I want a new 160gb iPod so I don't have to move stuff on/off it.

A good set of earphones would be the best investment, I have the Etymotic ER6i (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx) earphones which are made for lower power players so the are very efficient. There are also others out there like Shure that are similar.

Phil
9/17/2007, 11:38 PM
The iPod Touch is teh win. I'm posting this from it, in fact.

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2007, 11:39 PM
The touch seems awesome, but I'm not a huge fan of touch screen stuff. I like having actual feedback. And yes yes..the touch wheel is "touch" but there's some feedback there. I really liked the old scroll wheel actually.

Plus, I know I'd scratch that thing to pieces.

rufnek05
9/17/2007, 11:42 PM
My 40gb survived a bouncing 100 yard ride in my topcase during my motorcycle crash in April. It still works but I want a new 160gb iPod so I don't have to move stuff on/off it.
\.

I've got the 60gb and its about 2/3 full. I wouldn't know what do to with those 160gb. Ok yeah i do know what I'd do.

Frozen Sooner
9/18/2007, 01:31 AM
Contrary to what you might infer from the above posts, yes, you can just tell it to play only rock or only blues or only country simply by selecting Music>Genres>Whatever. This presupposes you have the music tagged with the correct genre.

sooneron
9/18/2007, 09:19 AM
My next toy...

TexasLidig8r
9/18/2007, 11:06 AM
The touch seems awesome, but I'm not a huge fan of touch screen stuff. I like having actual feedback. And yes yes..the touch wheel is "touch" but there's some feedback there. I really liked the old scroll wheel actually.

Plus, I know I'd scratch that thing to pieces.

M-A-N-I-C-U-R-E !!!!

A man's best friend for his hands.

FirstandGoal
9/18/2007, 03:36 PM
I also use my ipod to play my audiobooks and plan on getting the 160gb so I dont have to keep moving things off/back on. Even though you said you aren't interested in video, I would highly recommend it. I have the old 8gb nano without video and feel as if I am incredibly behind techo-wise.

My personal recommendation for you lid would be this one (http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/)

FirstandGoal
9/18/2007, 04:04 PM
so does this mean that instead of getting married you have decided to get an ipod?

soonerbrat
9/18/2007, 04:34 PM
he's getting HER an iPod instead of an engagement ring.

TexasLidig8r
9/18/2007, 05:04 PM
so does this mean that instead of getting married you have decided to get an ipod?

No marriage.. no ring.. all is right with the world.