PDA

View Full Version : New York City

royalfan5
9/17/2007, 09:40 AM
So I will be flying to New York City in the next couple of weeks for a job interview. Does anyone know how complicated it is to get from the Air Port to White Plains? Any other tips for traveling to New York? TIA.

GottaHavePride
9/17/2007, 09:44 AM
Which airport? JFK or LaGuardia? Either way, you'll just need to get on a train at Penn Station and ride for an hour or so. No biggie.

StuIsTheMan
9/17/2007, 09:45 AM
So I will be flying to New York City in the next couple of weeks for a job interview. Does anyone know how complicated it is to get from the Air Port to White Plains? Any other tips for traveling to New York? TIA.

money in yer front pocket, so if ya do get picked, atleast ya get a rub:D

And your gonna have to get a little mean to find a Cab, locals will sit back at the curb, wait for you to hail then try and kill ya for the cab...SAAHA

Subway only in daylight hours.

NO EYE CONTACT! WITH ANYONE!

YW

OKLA21FAN
9/17/2007, 09:45 AM
load up on Picante sauce before going, I hear the Pace brand is pretty steady

royalfan5
9/17/2007, 09:47 AM
Which airport? JFK or LaGuardia? Either way, you'll just need to get on a train at Penn Station and ride for an hour or so. No biggie.
Don't know yet. Waiting on hearing back about the travel arrangements.

GottaHavePride
9/17/2007, 09:52 AM

And your gonna have to get a little mean to find a Cab, locals will sit back at the curb, wait for you to hail then try and kill ya for the cab...SAAHA

YW

Dude, White Plains is NOT NYC. Even then, most of those precautions are unnecessary. Just don't act like a freakin' tourist and no one will bother you. NYC is a LOT cleaner than it used to be.

StuIsTheMan
9/17/2007, 10:02 AM
Dude, White Plains is NOT NYC. Even then, most of those precautions are unnecessary. Just don't act like a freakin' tourist and no one will bother you. NYC is a LOT cleaner than it used to be.

yeah it could of been my military haircut and my BDU's that threw everyone off in 2003:rolleyes:

My sup. got picked.
I got into a pushing match witha fat lady over a cab.
5 of us missed the bus back to the hotel and took the subway back at 10:30pm, thought we might have to fight our way off with all the pan handelers asking us for money.
We missed our stop and walked 10 blocks back to the hotel, in BDU's. I said good evening to some guy and his girl leaving a bar and they guy had a coniption. I was on a "No Fighting" AT ALL order from my SMO after hitting a drunk major at the E club back at MHAFB, so my 3rd wipe had to handle that one...just my experience could be better now...I guess:rolleyes:

Just use yer head I guess

usmc-sooner
9/17/2007, 10:05 AM

I thought you were established as the corn stat expert? How the hell you going to sell tractors in the City? :pop:

TexasLidig8r
9/17/2007, 10:08 AM
Fly into White Plains ( I think its the Westchester County Airport).. several airlines offer commuter flights there from places like Cleveland, Atlanta, etc.

GottaHavePride
9/17/2007, 10:20 AM
yeah it could of been my military haircut and my BDU's that threw everyone off in 2003:rolleyes:

My sup. got picked.
I got into a pushing match witha fat lady over a cab.
5 of us missed the bus back to the hotel and took the subway back at 10:30pm, thought we might have to fight our way off with all the pan handelers asking us for money.
We missed our stop and walked 10 blocks back to the hotel, in BDU's. I said good evening to some guy and his girl leaving a bar and they guy had a coniption. I was on a "No Fighting" AT ALL order from my SMO after hitting a drunk major at the E club back at MHAFB, so my 3rd wipe had to handle that one...just my experience could be better now...I guess:rolleyes:

Just use yer head I guess

Weird. I was there in 2001, 2003, and this past March. I've never had a problem.

sooneron
9/17/2007, 10:20 AM
???

Penn station?

Royal, you'll be better off taking Metro North from Grand Central. Plus, you get to check out Grand Central. Or you could do what Lid said, but you wouldn't see NYC.

DO not fly into JFK, unless you have to, it is the biggest pain in the *** to get to - esp from Westchester County.

StuIsTheMan
9/17/2007, 10:23 AM
Weird. I was there in 2001, 2003, and this past March. I've never had a problem.

yeah it was prolly the BDU's...you'll be fine:D

GottaHavePride
9/17/2007, 10:25 AM
???

Penn station?

Royal, you'll be better off taking Metro North from Grand Central. Plus, you get to check out Grand Central. Or you could do what Lid said, but you wouldn't see NYC.

DO not fly into JFK, unless you have to, it is the biggest pain in the *** to get to - esp from Westchester County.

Sorry, I always get to NYC by flying into Newark and taking the train in. From that direction it's easiest to connect at Penn. And I'd probably take Lid's route. Plenty of time to see NYC after you get the job in White Plains. ;)

Petro-Sooner
9/17/2007, 10:26 AM

YW

Greatest city in the world..........:rolleyes:

No thank you.

usmc-sooner
9/17/2007, 10:27 AM
make sure the plane you take is fueled by corn ethanol.

sanantoniosooner
9/17/2007, 10:28 AM
make sure the plane you take is fueled by corn ethanol.
I'm glad you found someone new to stalk;)

royalfan5
9/17/2007, 10:30 AM
Which airport would make the most sense to fly into and out of coming from Minneapolis or O'Hare? I think I am going to try to get in and out in one day

sooneron
9/17/2007, 10:31 AM
Oh, if you walk around like a hillbilly with a chip on your shoulder, you won't enjoy your time there. I think that has been proven in this thread.

The subways are fine unless you're in a crap neighborhood. Just like anywhere else.

usmc-sooner
9/17/2007, 10:32 AM
I'm glad you found someone new to stalk;)

cornstat smack comes along only once or twice during our lives, I've got to make the most of it.

sooneron
9/17/2007, 10:33 AM
Which airport would make the most sense to fly into and out of coming from Minneapolis or O'Hare? I think I am going to try to get in and out in one day
O'Hare to LGA and you could probably get some sort of shuttle to WP. There are a lot of Corp HQ up there.

StuIsTheMan
Sorry, I always get to NYC by flying into Newark and taking the train in. From that direction it's easiest to connect at Penn. And I'd probably take Lid's route. Plenty of time to see NYC after you get the job in White Plains. ;)

well if ya, go to penn station, you can go see MSG:rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
cornstat smack comes along only once or twice during our lives, I've got to make the most of it.
stalk was a corn pun.

Pay attention Kernal.

sooneron
9/17/2007, 10:34 AM
I bet there are some flights to Westchester County out of O'Hare as well.

sooneron
9/17/2007, 10:35 AM
well if ya, go to penn station, you can go see MSG
Un

Impressive

usmc-sooner
9/17/2007, 10:36 AM
Ron
You know any good places to get corn up there.

StuIsTheMan
9/17/2007, 10:37 AM
Un

Impressive

that was part of the joke:D oh, I forgot the smiley...fixed

royalfan5
9/17/2007, 10:37 AM
What's generally the best day of the week to fly in and out in the same day?

sooneron
9/17/2007, 10:38 AM
What's generally the best day of the week to fly in and out in the same day?
No day.:D

Eh, I guess mid-week. Tu-Thu.

sooneron
9/17/2007, 10:39 AM
Ron
You know any good places to get corn up there.
Actually, Jersey and NY have great corn. I get it at the Farmer's Market in Union Sq. Good Stuff.

John Kochtoston
9/17/2007, 10:41 AM
well if ya, go to penn station, you can go see MSG

With God's hockey team beginning the exhibition season this week, that's an excellent idea. :P

usmc-sooner
9/17/2007, 12:25 PM
Actually, Jersey and NY have great corn. I get it at the Farmer's Market in Union Sq. Good Stuff.

well it better be good because the corn expert is coming.

mdklatt
9/17/2007, 12:35 PM

White Plains (HPN) has airline service.

JohnnyMack
9/17/2007, 12:50 PM
Oh, if you walk around like a hillbilly with a chip on your shoulder, you won't enjoy your time there. I think that has been proven in this thread.

The subways are fine unless you're in a crap neighborhood. Just like anywhere else.

Stop talking reasonably. There's no place for it around here.

yermom
9/17/2007, 12:50 PM
stalk was a corn pun.

Pay attention Kernal.

cornpwn3d

StoopTroup
9/17/2007, 12:58 PM
If you do end up in NYC and have to fight for a cab....

Remember....

The old throat punch and bloody nose can really save you some time...

YWIA :D

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2007, 01:00 PM

You spend a **** load of time looking for a job, applying for a job, and talking about various jobs you want than any unemployed human being I've ever seen in my life.

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2007, 01:02 PM
Also NYC is the crown jewel of metropolitan yankeedom and therefore it sucks.
Although you to are from north of the mason-dixon line and an only somewhat less Godless state so carry on.

Petro-Sooner
9/17/2007, 01:14 PM
You spend a **** load of time looking for a job, applying for a job, and talking about various jobs you want than any unemployed human being I've ever seen in my life.

:pop:

Viking Kitten
9/17/2007, 01:16 PM

Double wierd. I used to live there and have been back for too many visits to count, have taken the subway around Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn by myself at two, three o'clock in the morning, and I've never had a problem either. During my post 9/11 visits, I've noticed that people are actually rather friendly these days.

StoopTroup
9/17/2007, 01:21 PM
NYC Traning Film. ;)

NSFW

Sin City Clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5UQtmqzfcU&NR=1)

royalfan5
9/17/2007, 02:08 PM
I'm employeed currently, but looking for more permanent job. You've spent more time in undergrad than anybody I've ever seen.

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2007, 02:09 PM
I'm employeed currently, but looking for more permanent job. You've spent more time in undergrad than anybody I've ever seen.
Touche my friend.

GottaHavePride
9/17/2007, 02:23 PM
It's not his fault. The wind was tricky.

;)

sooneron
9/17/2007, 02:58 PM
well it better be good because the corn expert is coming.
heh

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/8190/piginthecityfh4.jpg

Jeopardude
9/17/2007, 05:04 PM
???

AirLink makes JFK less of a pain than it used to be. Still White Plains or LaGuardia are better.

And if you're flying back from Laguardia, your plane will be delayed and you will miss your connecting flight. It's pretty much a gimme these days.

StuIsTheMan
9/17/2007, 05:09 PM
Double wierd. I used to live there and have been back for too many visits to count, have taken the subway around Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn by myself at two, three o'clock in the morning, and I've never had a problem either. During my post 9/11 visits, I've noticed that people are actually rather friendly these days.

Like I said...I suppose it was the BDU's:D

Viking Kitten
9/17/2007, 05:35 PM
Well, you specifically said don't take the subway at night. Why would BDU's render you less safe on the subway?:confused:

Petro-Sooner
9/17/2007, 05:43 PM
ok I'll ask. Whats BDU?

StuIsTheMan
9/17/2007, 05:44 PM
Well, you specifically said don't take the subway at night. Why would BDU's render you less safe on the subway?:confused:

ask the 152 gangmembers and pan handelers we had to get through to get off the thing...hey I am sure it is a fine city:rolleyes: , but not during my stay there. Glad I could go for work and not waiste a trip for vacation. Best thing about NYC...is leaving...JMO and I know you don't agree VK, we can agree to disagree here right?:D

Viking Kitten
9/17/2007, 05:50 PM
Fine Stu. We'll agree to disagree. However, anyone reading this thread... if you don't know whom to believe, just take a quick peek at the ol' FBI crime database, which shows that not only is NYC the safest large city in America, it also shows that it actually has a lower per capita crime rate than OKC.

Viking Kitten
9/17/2007, 05:51 PM
BDU=Battle dress uniform. Almost as sexy as a flight suit.:D

StuIsTheMan
9/17/2007, 05:56 PM
BDU=Battle dress uniform. Almost as sexy as a flight suit.:D

yeah, why would ya want to mess with a sexy mofo like this...
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/7667/me1ah9.jpg (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)

Viking Kitten
9/17/2007, 06:00 PM
Because he can't fly a plane?

sooneron
9/17/2007, 06:49 PM
AirLink makes JFK less of a pain than it used to be. Still White Plains or LaGuardia are better.

And if you're flying back from Laguardia, your plane will be delayed and you will miss your connecting flight. It's pretty much a gimme these days.
Really? I had no idea. :rolleyes:

I refuse to deal with LGA. The connecting rule is safe for pretty much any airport these days. I also refuse to take more than one connection.

StuIsTheMan
9/17/2007, 07:50 PM
Because he can't fly a plane?

neither could the pilot without me:D

and I have flown that bird 3 times:D

royalfan5
9/17/2007, 07:55 PM
Apparently I can fly non-spot Omaha to Newark. Would White Plains be accessible from there?

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2007, 07:56 PM
Fine Stu. We'll agree to disagree. However, anyone reading this thread... if you don't know whom to believe, just take a quick peek at the ol' FBI crime database, which shows that not only is NYC the safest large city in America, it also shows that it actually has a lower per capita crime rate than OKC.

That doesn't change the fact that it's a filthy yankee hell hole.

Visit Charleston or Savanna instead. YWIA

Viking Kitten
9/17/2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks, but I don't think I need travel tips from a guy who enjoys visiting Branson.

sooneron
9/17/2007, 08:25 PM
Apparently I can fly non-spot Omaha to Newark. Would White Plains be accessible from there?
Yes. You can take the NJ transit train from Newark to Penn Station- OR a shuttle bus-Olympia Lines to Grand Central. Do NOT go with this plan unless you are flying in AFTER 9 AM- mucho morning traffic in the Lincoln Tunnel.

sooneron
9/17/2007, 08:31 PM

You know, the fact that you fancy yourself some plantation owning confed coupled with the fact that you suck at attracting any sort of skirt, pretty much makes you the biggest loser here.

which is really sad

The funniest part is that you also think of yourself as some cosmopolitanite in Lid's image sipping 'tinis and going to the opera and yet, you spew this crap.

StuIsTheMan
9/18/2007, 12:34 PM
You know, the fact that you fancy yourself some plantation owning confed coupled with the fact that you suck at attracting any sort of skirt, pretty much makes you the biggest loser here.

which is really sad

The funniest part is that you also think of yourself as some cosmopolitanite in Lid's image sipping 'tinis and going to the opera and yet, you spew this crap.

hey man don't hold back...tell us how you REALLY feel:pop:

JohnnyMack
9/18/2007, 12:43 PM

I've spent time in Charleston (my Mother-in-law used to live there), Savannah (I assume that's what you meant and not Savanna, OK) AND NYC. Comparing Charleston & Savannah to NYC is pretty dumb. You should have at least tried to use Atlanta.

That being said, I understand lots of people don't "get" New York. That's cool. It's not for everyone. However NYC is by far one of the coolest, unbelievable anomalies this planet has ever produced. It is simply amazing. It is by far America's greatest city.

IB4OU2
9/18/2007, 01:00 PM

via Cropduster?

C&CDean
9/18/2007, 01:11 PM
I've spent time in Charleston (my Mother-in-law used to live there), Savannah (I assume that's what you meant and not Savanna, OK) AND NYC. Comparing Charleston & Savannah to NYC is pretty dumb. You should have at least tried to use Atlanta.

That being said, I understand lots of people don't "get" New York. That's cool. It's not for everyone. However NYC is by far one of the coolest, unbelievable anomalies this planet has ever produced. It is simply amazing. It is by far America's greatest city.

No it ain't.

I'm as well-travelled a person as anyone on this board, and I've spent many, many days/weeks/months in New York. Here's the deal on NYC:

It's one of those places (much like D.C.) that every single red-blooded American needs to visit - more than once. You just can't take it all in during a week-long stay. You need to do the tourist thing and see the SofL, Wall St., Central Park, Times Square, St. Patrick's, Broadway, Chinatown, and eat at every little Jewish deli you can find, etc.

Then you need to go out to Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, etc. and see Shea, the tennis joint, da bridge, Yankee Stadium, and eat Italian food at every little mom and pop pizzeria you can find.

Then you need to go down Long Island to Montauk - and stop along the way at all the little veggie stands and go by the waterfront and check out some of the old ships/boats. Do this in the fall. It's one of the prettiest places on the planet during the fall.

Then get on the plane and get the hell out. The average okie fits the NYC scene like a penis fits another man's butt. It doesn't. It takes a certain mentality/mindset/lifestyle to fit-in in NYC. If you're a chicken-fry and smashed taters lovin' hillbilly who thinks "real" Italian food comes in a can with Chef-Boy-R-Dee on the label, or think Subway makes a good deli sammich, or think that Orange Chicken and Lo Mein are good Chinese dishes then NYC ain't for you.

If you're like me, and can't stand public transportation, hate traffic and constant noise (especially car horns - they make me want to go fist city with the dumbass honking it every time), don't like plastic phoney people (on the surface, since I've met many Newyorkers who are great once you get past the stupid exterior they have to put on to survive around all the other stupid plastic phoney people), and despise the yankee accent then NYC ain't for you.

There's so much to do/see there everyone should go a few times. However, only the true crazies can live there. I know people in their fifties who've never owned a car or even had a driver's license. When they've come to visit Oklahoma they go nuts. They go "how da hell do yous guys handle all da open spaces and no people - I'm goin' ****in' nuts heah. Waddaya mean da joint closes at 9pm??" One of the funniest things was taking a guy out to the ranch one time. He's looking at me and finally goes "what? you know every sumbitch in da state?" I go "no, why?" He goes "I seen you wave at every redneck goin' da other way - and day wave back." I go "redneck?" He goes "yeah, drivin' the trucks, only rednecks drive trucks." I cracked up.

Just don't drive into NYC. Unless you don't mind paying a day's wages for parking (if you can find it), and don't mind starving to death waiting for somebody to let you in.

I love NYC. I hate NYC. It's unique in that way, but it ain't the greatest city in America.

StuIsTheMan
9/18/2007, 01:13 PM
YEAH...and it still smells like urine...

C&CDean
9/18/2007, 01:14 PM
YEAH...and it still smells like urine...

Dude, nothing smelled more like urine than those homeless ****wads panhandling the last time I was up in Portland.

StuIsTheMan
9/18/2007, 01:18 PM
Dude, nothing smelled more like urine than those homeless ****wads panhandling the last time I was up in Portland.

Yeah we have killed all of them now...it smells alot better downtown now:D

TexasLidig8r
9/18/2007, 01:24 PM
I like the city. Great atmosphere, high energy. Dean's list of things to see is pretty spot on... Some of the women there are absolutely outstanding (although that accent is a bit.. harsh.. perhaps comparable to the more guttural Germanic languages as opposed to the flowing characteristics of the French language)... GREAT opera!!!

Would not want to live there permanently though.

JohnnyMack
9/18/2007, 01:57 PM
No it ain't.

Yes it is.

sooneron
9/18/2007, 02:00 PM
Dean was at least right about needing to see a lot around NYC.

royalfan5
9/18/2007, 02:02 PM
Dean was at least right about needing to see a lot around NYC.
Unfortunately, I probably won't have time.

OSUAggie
9/18/2007, 02:14 PM
don't like plastic phoney people (on the surface, since I've met many Newyorkers who are great once you get past the stupid exterior they have to put on to survive around all the other stupid plastic phoney people)

Agreed up to this point (and the "No it ain't" opener).

Fake people exist everywhere - but most notably in the South (including wherever the **** this region in which we live might be). The golly-shucks-have-a-nice-day bull**** that people lay on around these parts is obviously warming, but it hardly exudes a sincerity that is common to all or most.

I have come across more fake people per-capita in this area than any place north of the Mason-Dixon. The wonderful hospitality that is displayed by some is often followed by rumor-spreading and constant ****-talking behind the back of the previous night's dinner guest.

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2007, 02:37 PM

which is really sad

I just caught this little gem. :rolleyes:

Jeopardude
9/18/2007, 02:41 PM

Fake people exist everywhere - but most notably in the South (including wherever the **** this region in which we live might be). The golly-shucks-have-a-nice-day bull**** that people lay on around these parts is obviously warming, but it hardly exudes a sincerity that is common to all or most.

I have come across more fake people per-capita in this area than any place north of the Mason-Dixon. The wonderful hospitality that is displayed by some is often followed by rumor-spreading and constant ****-talking behind the back of the previous night's dinner guest.

Although I don't agree with the extent you take things, this is a great antidote to the "We Okies are the nicest folks you'll ever know" belief that permeates here for some reason.

And New York City is the greatest if you can afford it.

C&CDean
9/18/2007, 02:42 PM

Dude, you're an aggie. You pretty much oughta be used to everybody talking about you behind your back, in front of your face, and right beside you.

You can keep your staring at the sidewalk don't open a door for somebody else never let anybody into traffic never start a conversation scowling frowning ugly *** in NYC. Obviously you aren't one of the ones I was referring to when I said "below the surface."

And you want cities better than NYC? No problem. Chicago. San Francisco. San Diego. St. Louis. Kansas City. Baltimore. However, none of them are NYC. There's only one NYC.

JohnnyMack
9/18/2007, 02:48 PM
And you want cities better than NYC? No problem. Chicago. San Francisco. San Diego. St. Louis. Kansas City. Baltimore. However, none of them are NYC. There's only one NYC.

Are you ****ing serious? Did you hit your head on the steering wheel when you mated the RV with the neighbor's tree?

San Francisco = maybe. I'd live there before NYC, that's for sure.

Chicago is nice, but it couldn't hold NYC's jock.

St. Louis, KC and Ballimore don't collectively measure up to New York.

I've never been to SD, so I'll refrain from commenting on that one.

OSUAggie
9/18/2007, 02:50 PM
Clever...

And I never inferred that the opening of doors, allowing for traffic to move (which is not really a trait of cities in OK - Detroit is the best I've seen at this), and conversation starters were bad aspects of Oklahoma or the South. It's obviously a much friendlier place to conduct day-to-day affairs than the rest of the world.

But to suggest that the people are largely genuine is ****.

C&CDean
9/18/2007, 02:53 PM
Although I don't agree with the extent you take things, this is a great antidote to the "We Okies are the nicest folks you'll ever know" belief that permeates here for some reason.

And New York City is the greatest if you can afford it.

Greatest what? Please don't say "place to live." Visit? I can live with that.

And please show me somewhere that has better folks than here. Yes, we have our share of teased-hair Baptist bimbos who gossip like whores while stuffing their fat faces with lemon pie, but overall, Okies are the best.

I'm not originally from here. I learned about the true goodness of Okies when one of my kids got hit by a car about 10 years ago. For 2 months we never cooked a meal. People picked up and washed my truck and my wife's car and filled them with fuel, changed the oil, etc. while we were at the hospital. We had people come in the house and take the laundry to the cleaners and clean the place from top to bottom. I had starched underwear. Co-workers collected enough $$ to pay our mortgage for 2 months. People mowed our lawn. All without us ever asking a thing. They did it out of the goodness of their hearts - and most of the time we didn't have a clue who was leaving the rolls of toilet paper and paper towels on the front porch.

Then let's look at 2000. We went down to campus when OU won the Orange Bowl. There were thousands of people partying it up. I talked to an OU cop the next day and he said they only made a couple of arrests - DUI and a couple drunk-in-publics. Nobody was burning the place down or turning over cars. Can the fine people in Ohio, or Michigan, or Arizona, or California, or Florida say the same thing?

And let's look at natural disasters. How many times do you see people looting in Oklahoma after a tornado? Or a bombing?

I'll take the fake Okies any day over the fake New Yorkers. By a long shot.

C&CDean
9/18/2007, 02:57 PM
Are you ****ing serious? Did you hit your head on the steering wheel when you mated the RV with the neighbor's tree?

San Francisco = maybe. I'd live there before NYC, that's for sure.

Chicago is nice, but it couldn't hold NYC's jock.

St. Louis, KC and Ballimore don't collectively measure up to New York.

I've never been to SD, so I'll refrain from commenting on that one.

Dude, what are you making your determination on? Things to do? No, you won't find Chinese food at 4 am in St. Louis, but you'll find my Cardinals down by the river. And Chicago is NYC - only with nicer people and a work ethic.

StoopTroup
9/18/2007, 02:57 PM
San Diego was a very nice City IMO....

The only thing bad about it is...

It's in California.

JohnnyMack
9/18/2007, 03:17 PM
I think New York is the greatest city there is not because of its access to "things to do" (although it does completely and totally pwn any other city when talking about that). It is the greatest city in the world because it works. Something so big, so massive, with so many cogs in it continues to function with remarkable precision. Think about the infrastructure needed to make just Manhattan itself function. Keeping the power and water moving in that space is a feat in and of itself.

As far as the people are concerned, you're right that people from this part of the country are generally friendlier than in other parts of the country (my New Jersey born wife still can't understand why everyone waves at each other in cars), but for pure wow factor, there is simply no other city that even comes close to matching New York.

C&CDean
9/18/2007, 03:22 PM
I think New York is the greatest city there is not because of its access to "things to do" (although it does completely and totally pwn any other city when talking about that). It is the greatest city in the world because it works. Something so big, so massive, with so many cogs in it continues to function with remarkable precision. Think about the infrastructure needed to make just Manhattan itself function. Keeping the power and water moving in that space is a feat in and of itself.

As far as the people are concerned, you're right that people from this part of the country are generally friendlier than in other parts of the country (my New Jersey born wife still can't understand why everyone waves at each other in cars), but for pure wow factor, there is simply no other city that even comes close to matching New York.

I'll give you the wow factor. But would you wanna raise your two boys there? Didn't think so.

StuIsTheMan
9/18/2007, 03:23 PM
There's only one NYC.

THANK GAWD:D

GottaHavePride
9/18/2007, 03:23 PM
London totally pwns NYC in a Googlefight.

JohnnyMack
9/18/2007, 03:25 PM
I'll give you the wow factor. But would you wanna raise your two boys there? Didn't think so.

No.

But if I was retired, had $100 million in the bank and had a kick-*** place on the upper west side with an amazing view of the park I'd sure live there.

C&CDean
9/18/2007, 03:28 PM
No.

But if I was retired, had $100 million in the bank and had a kick-*** place on the upper west side with an amazing view of the park I'd sure live there.

Different strokes. If I was retired and had the $$ I'd own a mountain in Colorado, a county in Oklahoma, half a Carribean island, and about 50K acres in Alaska. And I'd still have $$ leftover while you were broke, looking out your window at rapists stalking joggers in the park.

JohnnyMack
9/18/2007, 03:30 PM
I'd be hanging out at your Alaskan ranch, hoping you were on your island when it got popped by a Cat. 5.

StuIsTheMan
9/18/2007, 03:32 PM
Different strokes. If I was retired and had the $$ I'd own a mountain in Colorado, a county in Oklahoma, half a Carribean island, and about 50K acres in Alaska. And I'd still have $$ leftover while you were broke, looking out your window at rapists stalking joggers in the park.

WORD!

JohnnyMack
9/18/2007, 03:37 PM
Nobody likes a kiss ***.

C&CDean
9/18/2007, 03:40 PM
I'd be hanging out at your Alaskan ranch, hoping you were on your island when it got popped by a Cat. 5.

Uh huh. I'm pretty sure something as minimal as Alaska could never draw you away from the grandeur of your grimy window overlooking Central Park.

StuIsTheMan
9/18/2007, 04:10 PM
Nobody likes a kiss ***.

and nobody likes a dumb *** either man...just say'n

Hamhock
9/18/2007, 04:18 PM

could I hunt your Alaska property? with a bow, of course.

FirstandGoal
9/18/2007, 04:24 PM
Are there time shares on this island? I call the week of July 11 :)

C&CDean
9/18/2007, 04:33 PM
could I hunt your Alaska property? with a bow, of course.

Sure. The bears gotta eat too.

Hamhock
9/18/2007, 04:42 PM
Sure. The bears gotta eat too.

pfft. bears. i laugh at bears

have you heard what i did to a bobcat? with a bow, of course.

GottaHavePride
9/18/2007, 04:47 PM

Dude, Tommie Harris will ****in' ingest you and crap out a football helmet.

IB4OU2
9/18/2007, 04:48 PM

Fred Bear shot a brown bear with a bow...it's easy.

StuIsTheMan
9/18/2007, 05:16 PM

http://photo.net/photo/pcd1647/bobcat-49.3.jpg
or
http://amazinganimalproductions.com/animals/lc/images/kodiak.jpg

but hey great jorb on the kittycat though, what did you use katnip as a lure:D

sooneron
9/18/2007, 09:59 PM
Would I move back into Manhattan? Full time? No. I wouldn't mind a sweet pad for nights and weekends when I have to work. I had enough "living" in NYC for the better part of 8 years. The time of my life, but that was then and I was younger/singler.