PDA

View Full Version : Are we setting ourselves up?

FormerSoonerProf
9/17/2007, 09:38 AM
Pobably going to get slammed... but here goes...

We seem to have played some really weak opponents so far. Are we setting ourselves up for some disappointment when it comes to the big games? The rest of the country thinks we have only played weak competition thus far (like the Lil Sisters of the Poor). I wonder what effect this will have on the players when they come up against a "real" team and find themselves down a few points? Will they have the "fight" in them or will they just shrivel up and die? So far, we have never had to really "sweat" for a win.... I am just nervous... that's all....

StuIsTheMan
9/17/2007, 09:42 AM
SWAGER MAN....SWAGER, that's all they are building with their pre con schedule.

I think Tulsa should be a good ramp up for Con Play:D

Boomer!

Dan Thompson
9/17/2007, 09:42 AM
We will see as we play Tulsa, Colorado, and Texas. I watched some of the Colorado game and they where talking about the passes 'floating' in the thinner air at Boulder.

Of course Texas will come to play and Tulsa might test our pass defense.

OUrules
9/17/2007, 09:52 AM
I live in O-town and have season tix to UCF. Texass looked shakey, and most of the Horn fans I talked to agreed....

Tulsa should be a better test for our D, but as long as we keep hanging half 'o hundred on teams I'll always be happy....

stoopified
9/17/2007, 09:55 AM
I understand where you are coming from,but we DOMINATED two poor teams and a DECENT(should get a bowl bid )Miami team.We do need to continue to improve and play well or otherwise it ould blow up on us like the GOWWDNS.I have every confidence that will not happen.

By way of comparison UT has played a very similar lineup of teams and struggled.

kevpks
9/17/2007, 09:58 AM
Let's not forget what this team went through last year. They pulled out victories in a lot of close games on their way to a Big XII title. I know that we have new starters at some key positions but I think this team has great junior/senior leadership. They won't shrivel under pressure. And who knows, maybe we'll just beat everyone by 40-50 points.

kevpks
9/17/2007, 09:58 AM
Oh, and I still think Miami was a good test.

StuIsTheMan
9/17/2007, 10:05 AM
I understand where you are coming from,but we DOMINATED two poor teams and a DECENT(should get a bowl bid )Miami team.We do need to continue to improve and play well or otherwise it ould blow up on us like the GOWWDNS.I have every confidence that will not happen.

By way of comparison UT has played a very similar lineup of teams and struggled.

Similar schedule to SUC and look how they have dominated and such to keep their #1 ranking:rolleyes:

MextheBulldog
9/17/2007, 10:13 AM
Dunno if we are setting ourselves up, but the premature BCS talk makes me concerned. Looooong way to go here. The Miami game was not an accurate measuring stick - a good win, don't get me wrong - but a strong performance against saxet will go a long way for confidence.

StuIsTheMan
9/17/2007, 10:17 AM
Dunno if we are setting ourselves up, but the premature BCS talk makes me concerned. Looooong way to go here. The Miami game was not an accurate measuring stick - a good win, don't get me wrong - but a strong performance against saxet will go a long way for confidence.

Agreed I would'nt mind being 7 or 8 in the rankings going into the saxet game. But there aren't that many dominating teams out there this year it seems...JMO

oupride
9/17/2007, 10:33 AM

OU should CRUSH Texas. These Sooners are hungry.

freshchris05
9/17/2007, 10:37 AM
maybe we should stop scheduling cupcakes and start playing fcs teams... ;)

The Maestro
9/17/2007, 10:37 AM
For those of you waiting for the "stiff tests" to come...I am not sure they will come. It's not our fault the Big 12 is struggling as a whole.

Everyone loves our offense dominating and they are, but the greatness of our defense is why we will win a lot of lopsided games. People are just not going to move the ball on us with regularity and do a lot of scoring. I am starting to think this linebacking corps is the best since the days of Rocky and Torrance.

hgarmorer
9/17/2007, 11:01 AM
I like the fact that there is some BCS talk. I also like the fact that even though we won, Florida moved past us in the AP poll. I think it takes some eyes off us and puts the pressure back on to some other teams. Even though Coach Stoops does a good job of keeping the boys focused it just makes it easier to keep their eyes on the prize. We'll get plenty of talk and all that crap come Oct. We're playing like the team beat, while Texas has struggled a bit. It could Browns way of feeling his team out, but I don't think so. UCF should've won the game, I know he looked pretty nervous staring from the sidelines. Maybe trying to figure out how they were going to hang with us. Ok maybe not, but let's hope so. :D

Partial Qualifier
9/17/2007, 12:01 PM
It didn't seem to hurt us in 2000.

yermom
9/17/2007, 12:10 PM
we were also the only undefeated team that year

with 12 games it doesn't happen as often that there are multiples

it hurt Auburn in 2004, but they also had a 1-AA team. UNT isn't typically that bad, Tulsa and Miami could still do us some favors

Jacie
9/17/2007, 12:20 PM
Whorn fans are praying that it is so, that the Sooners are a paper tiger that will look ordinary against a team like . . . theirs.

What we would call the realists amongst them point out that it is saxet that has looked ordinary against the cupcakes on their schedule, while OU has taken care of business.

Though the level of competition the Sooners have faced is poor to (at best) middlin, the entire team, including all three active qb's, has game experience as even the backups have been on the field for significant amounts of playing time.

The whorns have yet to get another qb on the field this season having played close games requiring the first team just to pull out a victory.

A lot of the steer lovers openly express concern over what will happen when they play a team with the same talent as saxet.

Sooner fans, on the other hand, should feel good about having an away game the week before playing saxet, as it will give the team experience being on the road and facing a hostile crowd.

The effect of playing an easy schedule this year I think will be that it will give the team time to get comfortable playing under a new qb rather than having to go lights out trying to eke out wins because the offense wasn't ready to face a stout defense.

picasso
9/17/2007, 12:47 PM
Pobably going to get slammed... but here goes...

We seem to have played some really weak opponents so far. Are we setting ourselves up for some disappointment when it comes to the big games? The rest of the country thinks we have only played weak competition thus far (like the Lil Sisters of the Poor). I wonder what effect this will have on the players when they come up against a "real" team and find themselves down a few points? Will they have the "fight" in them or will they just shrivel up and die? So far, we have never had to really "sweat" for a win.... I am just nervous... that's all....
well in 2000 we kind of struggled against lesser opponents (Kansas) and then opened up a can on the big dogs. I prefer just to kick everyones arse.

Partial Qualifier
9/17/2007, 12:48 PM
we were also the only undefeated team that year

with 12 games it doesn't happen as often that there are multiples

it hurt Auburn in 2004, but they also had a 1-AA team. UNT isn't typically that bad, Tulsa and Miami could still do us some favors

True, but I was commenting about the original post, in regards to playing cupcakes and how that might lend to not being ready for better-caliber opponents. Our non-conference was pretty blah that year

CtheB
9/17/2007, 12:51 PM
It all plays itself out my friend, but until those tests come, relax in the comfort that we have destroyed what we have been presented , and have not shown a real weakness yet anywhere.

yermom
9/17/2007, 12:57 PM
True, but I was commenting about the original post, in regards to playing cupcakes and how that might lend to not being ready for better-caliber opponents. Our non-conference was pretty blah that year

ok, yeah.

we didn't really know anything until the Texas game that year :eek:

OK2LA
9/17/2007, 01:32 PM
It all plays itself out my friend, but until those tests come, relax in the comfort that we have destroyed what we have been presented , and have not shown a real weakness yet anywhere.

Our weakness is that we think that we don't have a weakness!

Tha ska is fallin'! Tha ska is fallin!

Stoop Dawg
9/17/2007, 02:37 PM
Getting set up for a let down is better than being let down the first game of the year.

Cheer up, you could be a Cowboy or Wolverine fan.

hgarmorer
9/17/2007, 02:45 PM
Or a Domer..

GottaHavePride
9/17/2007, 03:01 PM
Our weakness is that we think that we don't have a weakness!

Tha ska is fallin'! Tha ska is fallin!

Thank Jeebus. Ska sucks.

Blue
9/18/2007, 01:25 AM
What I like is the fact that with our non-conference schedule bradford has been able to throw all over the place. Lets not forget that we could win 9 games atleast by just running the ball all game.

Our pre-season percieved weakness (Just don't lose the game Bradford) has become our offensive strength.

OK2LA
9/18/2007, 11:10 AM
What I like is the fact that with our non-conference schedule bradford has been able to throw all over the place. Lets not forget that we could win 9 games atleast by just running the ball all game.

Our pre-season percieved weakness (Just don't lose the game Bradford) has become our offensive strength.

This is the the F'ing TRUTH!

Could not have been said better.

You get the gold star for the day.

Well Done.

FormerSoonerProf
10/1/2007, 01:36 PM
AHEM AHEM.... LIKE i SAID... HEREZ COLORADO BEATING US... AND WE SQUIRMED AND FIZZLED WITHOUT ANY OFFENSE AND AN INEFFECTIVE DEFENSE....
LOOKS LIKE PLAYING THOSE CUPCAKES EARLY ON HAD US THINKIN WE WERE INVINCIBLE.