PDA

View Full Version : Why Weis won't finish this season as a head coach

Jacie
9/16/2007, 06:39 PM
He's got em practicing on Sunday. I can't imagine missing Mass is going to go over very well with the administration!

Irish practice on Sunday as Weis searches for answers

By TOM COYNE, AP Sports Writer
September 16, 2007

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis is shaking things up for the winless Fighting Irish.

After a 38-0 loss to Michigan on Saturday -- which tied the 38-0 loss to Michigan in 2003 for the eighth most lopsided in school history -- Weis canceled his Sunday news conference and the usual session for players to run and watch film. Instead he held a full practice.

Weis said there was no need for players to see the game film because it wouldn't do any good.

"One game is worse than the next game," he said.

After falling to 0-3 for just the second time in school history, the Irish are starting from scratch. They are treating this week as though it were the start of training camp, going back to the basics. Weis said the team will focus on trying to get good at a nucleus of plays.

"You have to find something you can hang your hat on," he said.

The starting offense will work against the starting defense until they're worn out, he said. Then it will be the second-team offense against the second-team defense until they are exhausted. There will be no scout teams replicating the offense or defense of Michigan State (3-0), Saturday's opponent. The Irish will be focusing on themselves.

Players will be competing for starting jobs.

"Everything is even-steven, like it's the first day out there, and everything is up for grabs," Weis said.

The reason for the shake-up is the horrible numbers the Irish have put up so far. Of the 17 major statistics the NCAA tracks, Notre Dame is last in the nation in four, in the bottom 10 in three others and the bottom 21 in three more.

Just like in 2001, the other time the Irish opened 0-3, much of the blame falls on the offense.

The 2001 squad coached by Bob Davie lost to Nebraska, Michigan State and Texas A&M by a combined 45 points. This year's squad lost to Georgia Tech, Penn State and Michigan by a combined 89 points.

Davie's team scored just two touchdowns, covering a total of 10 yards, and ranked second worst in the nation in total offense at 211 yards a game. Weis' team has no offensive touchdowns and is last in total offense at 115 yards a game.

The 13 points scored by the Irish are the fewest through three games since the 1933 squad scored 12 in starting the season 1-1-1.

The most worrisome statistic, though, is that because the Irish have given up 23 sacks, leading to 167 yards lost, they are averaging minus-4.7 yards rushing.

"The easy answer to our problem would be us running the football. Because now if you run the football, everything becomes easier," Weis said. "Now it's easier to throw a play-action pass. Now it's easier to protect. Now it's easier to move the ball consistently. That would be a heck of a way for us to get it started."

It's not just the offense, however. There were quite a few missed tackles against the Wolverines, and the Irish gave up 289 yards rushing -- the most by an opponent since Stanford ran for 322 yards in 1997.

Dating to last season, the Irish have given up 30 or more points in five straight games for the first time in school history. They've lost all five. The only time Notre Dame has lost six in a row came in 1960, when they lost eight straight.

So six weeks after Weis said he would never use the word "rebuilding," the Irish are focused on rebuilding. Weis said he doesn't know how long he will stay in the training camp mode.

"I couldn't tell you when it's going to be done, but we're going to get it done," he said.

tulsaoilerfan
9/16/2007, 06:45 PM
But Charlie is an offensive genius!!!!!!!!!

JLB
9/16/2007, 06:56 PM

yea,all that cheating the Pats did sure made him look like one.now we know why ND sucks so bad.:pop:

JohnnyMack
9/16/2007, 07:00 PM
Who ends up with more losses, UND or Aggie Lite?

StoopTroup
9/16/2007, 07:03 PM
Aggie lite.

KantoSooner
9/16/2007, 07:53 PM
Looking at those stats, it would seem that Weis has the honor of coaching the WORST NOTRE DAME TEAM OF ALL TIME.
God, I wish we could play them this year.

usmc-sooner
9/16/2007, 07:58 PM
I think Ty Willingham is a better coach than Weis

tommieharris91
9/16/2007, 08:01 PM
Aggy should hire Charlie Weis in the offseason.

Crucifax Autumn
9/16/2007, 08:17 PM
If I was Weiss I'd just run now...go hide in the Himalayas somewhere before the Domer fanbase lynches him.

usmc-sooner
9/16/2007, 08:18 PM
If I was Weiss I'd just run now...go hide in the Himalayas somewhere before the Domer fanbase lynches him.

someone should lynch the Domer fanbase, they ran off a quality coach and person in Willingham and all they got was this jackass

tulsaoilerfan
9/16/2007, 08:29 PM
Looking at the golden gomers schedule, they could very well be 0-8 after the next 5 games; i say they end up with more losses

soonersn2007
9/16/2007, 08:33 PM
I think ND's problem may not be the coaching tho, when I look at their athletes........they look smaller and slower than the other teams.

Crucifax Autumn
9/16/2007, 08:35 PM
I don't know how to make 'em faster, but joining in at whatever buffet Weiss eats at could take care of the size thing.

Sooner_Havok
9/16/2007, 08:38 PM
I think ND's problem may not be the coaching tho, when I look at their athletes........they look smaller and slower than the other teams.

Is that not Weis' problem? Didn't he recruit these people? and if they are still some of Tye's, then why didn't Weis recruit a bigger, faster person than what he had?

GottaHavePride
9/16/2007, 08:45 PM
Academic requirements for admission?

Position Limit
9/16/2007, 08:45 PM
i think all it takes to coach at notre damn these days is a massive beer gut and a flat top. i have an uncle that would be great there. he even coached jr. high football 15 years ago. they should join our ****ty confrence if they want to win something.

Jewstin
9/17/2007, 12:48 AM
Maybe he should've recruited other players instead of the 400 quarterbacks they have on the team.

I recall seeing nothing but footage of one quarterback after another doing obstacle drills and working on handoff movements during preseason.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/17/2007, 12:55 AM
I think ND's problem may not be the coaching tho, when I look at their athletes........they look smaller and slower than the other teams.They recruit highly sought after kids, and make em slow and small after they arrive in the Promised Land?

tommieharris91
9/17/2007, 01:09 AM
I heard that when a recruit commits to ND, some retruitniks add stars to their 3* and 4* guys to hype them up.

Real smart. Those guys created this monster.

Scott D
9/17/2007, 03:28 AM
Is that not Weis' problem? Didn't he recruit these people? and if they are still some of Tye's, then why didn't Weis recruit a bigger, faster person than what he had?

You can only put the Redshirt Juniors, Seniors, Redshirt Seniors on Ty Willingham. Every other body on that roster is from a Weis recruiting class. This is his 3rd season in charge, so he's had 3 recruiting periods in charge.

In that time he's managed to get blown out in big games almost all the time, and run off two quarterbacks in the span of 6 months this year.

r5TPsooner
9/17/2007, 08:57 AM
Aggie lite.

If Aggie Lite doesn't turn the ball over, they spank Notre Dame on a neutral field. Notre Dame has ZERO offensive threats and there defense reminds me of a moist piece of cake.

John Kochtoston
9/17/2007, 10:22 AM
someone should lynch the Domer fanbase, they ran off a quality coach and person in Willingham and all they got was this jackass

Agreed. I dunno if Willingham was the ultimate answer at ND, but he deserved at least one more year to make his case.

BTW, I found this article, written before the Michigan game...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3013932&sportCat=ncf

...with this damning indictment of Weis' rep as an offensive guru, and a better recruiter than Willingham.

"Of the 856 points Notre Dame has scored with Weis as head coach, 19 of them have been scored by players who originally committed to and signed with him. That includes the defensive touchdown, the extra point and two field goals that constitute this season's scoring. A Weis recruit has scored exactly one offensive touchdown in 27 games: George West (7) on an 11-yard run last season against Purdue, one of three times West touched the ball from scrimmage in 2006."

snp
9/17/2007, 11:03 AM
As a ND fan, I have faith in Weis. Willingham was not the answer and this has been discussed ad nauseum. Anyone who follows ND football will tell you the same thing.

Widescreen
9/17/2007, 11:05 AM
ND not being in a conference will always be a problem for them. What are they playing for? They either win the MNC or they win nothing.

snp
9/17/2007, 11:17 AM
NBC's $$$$.

1stTimeCaller
9/17/2007, 11:19 AM
They could always try to win a bowl game once or twice every decade.

Widescreen
9/17/2007, 11:21 AM
They could always try to win a bowl game once or twice every decade.
That's difficult when they shouldn't be in that particular bowl in the first place. When you should be playing in the whocares.com bowl and they send you to the Fiesta, you're going to get a beatdown.

Veritas
9/17/2007, 01:17 PM
I like Notre Dame because right now they're my "well, it could be worse" patsy.

In that time he's managed to get blown out in big games almost all the time, and run off two quarterbacks in the span of 6 months this year.
And Classen appears to be nothing special. He picks himself up off the turf like any other quarterback.

snp
9/17/2007, 01:58 PM
And Classen appears to be nothing special. He picks himself up off the turf like any other quarterback.

He's a true freshman with no dependable WR, RB and a pourous offensive line.

ND is in a very similar position to oklahoma in 2005, but with no AD and a weak defense.

Scott D
9/17/2007, 02:02 PM
He's a true freshman with no dependable WR, RB and a pourous offensive line.

ND is in a very similar position to oklahoma in 2005, but with no AD and a weak defense.

Actually, it amuses me to think of how things might have been, if Ohio State hadn't scared off Brady Quinn by signing that bust of a QB that eventually lost the job to Troy Smith.

snp
9/17/2007, 02:14 PM
QB bust at Ohio State...Can you be more specific ;)

Scott D
9/17/2007, 02:17 PM
Justin Zwick. He was a bigger bust than Herbstreit ;)

chantundefeated
9/17/2007, 02:37 PM
you know what's funny is that all this talk about willingham's recruits scoring for weis and only one weis recruit scoring is that willingham's recruits didn't score a lot for him at all. Willingham had one good season winning with bob davie's recruits and solid defense. Willingham was not the answer at ND. One of the reasons ND is so bad this year is because of ty's ineptness as a recruiter. ND has 5 seniors this season, 5! There's plenty of talent in the lower classes, but the senior class has nothing. Weis is a good coach. He really knows what he's doing. The players aren't executing, and the teams they've played are all far superior. It's not like ND is losing to Utah State or San Diego state. Many of you on this board let your blind hatred of ND get in the way of reason. ND has the #1 recruiting class thus far this year and they've been in the top 10 every year weis has had a full chance to recruit. I mean willingham and weis played two years ago and weis blew him out straight up, but that fact doesn't get mentioned very often. ND will look a lot better at the end of this year, and next year ND will be a very competitive team. Anyone who follows ND football knew this season was coming.

Veritas
9/17/2007, 02:40 PM
delete please mods

Veritas
9/17/2007, 02:42 PM
you know what's funny is that all this talk about willingham's recruits scoring for weis and only one weis recruit scoring is that willingham's recruits didn't score a lot for him at all. Willingham had one good season winning with bob davie's recruits and solid defense. Willingham was not the answer at ND. One of the reasons ND is so bad this year is because of ty's ineptness as a recruiter. ND has 5 seniors this season, 5! There's plenty of talent in the lower classes, but the senior class has nothing. Weis is a good coach. He really knows what he's doing. The players aren't executing, and the teams they've played are all far superior. It's not like ND is losing to Utah State or San Diego state. Many of you on this board let your blind hatred of ND get in the way of reason. ND has the #1 recruiting class thus far this year and they've been in the top 10 every year weis has had a full chance to recruit. I mean willingham and weis played two years ago and weis blew him out straight up, but that fact doesn't get mentioned very often. ND will look a lot better at the end of this year, and next year ND will be a very competitive team. Anyone who follows ND football knew this season was coming.
And I thought Husker fans could be delusional.

Oh, and I'll blindly hate Notre Dame as much as I damn well please.

GottaHavePride
9/17/2007, 02:56 PM
ND has the #1 recruiting class thus far this year and they've been in the top 10 every year weis has had a full chance to recruit. I mean willingham and weis played two years ago and weis blew him out straight up, but that fact doesn't get mentioned very often. ND will look a lot better at the end of this year, and next year ND will be a very competitive team. Anyone who follows ND football knew this season was coming.

Man, that sounds a LOT like Texas fans circa 2000-2004. You know, except without the 11-1 record.

OUTrumpet
9/17/2007, 03:01 PM

Boone Pickens should set up a bowl game for the two programs.

Neither of them will probably go to a bowl if he doesn't.

freshchris05
9/17/2007, 03:06 PM
And I thought Husker fans could be delusional.

Oh, and I'll blindly hate Notre Dame as much as I damn well please.

heh.. blind hate is the best hate

Scott D
9/17/2007, 03:22 PM

So will ND be a good team before or after both Clausen and his backup transfer out by the end of December?

TUSooner
9/17/2007, 03:25 PM
Well, he is offensive. And the worse ND plays, the more offenseive he gets.

I'm almost ready to feel sorry for the guy. But then, it is Notre Dame, so I'll wait a while longer before I get that charitable.

Hey, my pathetic Tulane Greenies might even have a shot at knocking off the Irish; is it too late to get them on the schedule?

TexasLidig8r
9/17/2007, 03:59 PM
THREE HUNDRED FORTY FIVE

three hundred forty five

The total number of yards... Neutered Dame has gained... in ALL THREE GAMES COMBINED!

No matter how bad your recruiting classes under Willingham have been.. no matter how green you are... You can pull an "OU we're ahead 77 - 0 and we're just gonna fall over every time we run the ball" and still gain 115 yards a gain.

That is beyond bad.. that is beyond embarrassing... that is reprehensible.

handcrafted
9/17/2007, 04:00 PM
TREE-FIDDY!

(a.k.a. number of yards they'll have after this week :D)

stoopified
9/17/2007, 04:06 PM
If I was Weiss I'd just run now...go hide in the Himalayas somewhere before the Domer fanbase lynches him.Bob Davies and Ty Willingham are proably drinking beer and laughing at Weis.

Oldnslo
9/17/2007, 04:18 PM
Bob Davies and Ty Willingham are proably drinking beer and laughing at Weis.
So am I!

opksooner
9/17/2007, 07:00 PM
Well, well, well. It's the third game of season and.......

God did not make Notre Dame #1.......again.

*Historical reference: Back in the day Notre Dame had a bumper sticker that read, "God made Notre Dame #1".

[barf]

Stitch Face
9/17/2007, 07:07 PM

Stoops could sh!t out a better team in three nights than Weis has recruited in the last three years.

PLaw
9/17/2007, 09:42 PM
Doesn't the NCAA restrict the number of practice hours per week? Soooo, if they are practicing Sunday, then what day are they taking off? Should we send an e-mail to the NCAA? Oh yeah, the ND is exempt from any NCAA scrutiny - sorry, middle aged moment.

Boomer
PLaw

GottaHavePride
9/18/2007, 09:42 AM
Doesn't the NCAA restrict the number of practice hours per week? Soooo, if they are practicing Sunday, then what day are they taking off? Should we send an e-mail to the NCAA? Oh yeah, the ND is exempt from any NCAA scrutiny - sorry, middle aged moment.

Boomer
PLaw

All he did was take the time they would have been spending watching film and breaking down the upcoming opponent and use that as practice time. No net change in practice minutes, just different use of them.

Also, going way back to the original post: they're not missing Mass. Mass only takes an hour in the morning. That leaves a lot of Sunday for practice.

birddog
9/18/2007, 09:47 AM
Agreed. I dunno if Willingham was the ultimate answer at ND, but he deserved at least one more year to make his case.

BTW, I found this article, written before the Michigan game...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3013932&sportCat=ncf

...with this damning indictment of Weis' rep as an offensive guru, and a better recruiter than Willingham.

"Of the 856 points Notre Dame has scored with Weis as head coach, 19 of them have been scored by players who originally committed to and signed with him. That includes the defensive touchdown, the extra point and two field goals that constitute this season's scoring. A Weis recruit has scored exactly one offensive touchdown in 27 games: George West (7) on an 11-yard run last season against Purdue, one of three times West touched the ball from scrimmage in 2006."

george west is an oklahoma boy. any of you ever heard of him? seems strange a kid would sneak out of the state and sign with nd.

http://und.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/west_george00.html

RiddlerOK
9/18/2007, 10:20 AM
The funny thing about all of this is how much press and air time this 0-3 start continues to generate. :)

NWOSURanger
9/18/2007, 10:21 AM
Look at the depth chart of their offensive line...

LT 74 SAM YOUNG 6-8 310 So.
75 Taylor Dever 6-5 289 Fr.

LG 77 Mike Turkovich 6-6 301 Jr.
55 Eric Olsen 6-5 303 So.

C 78 JOHN SULLIVAN 6-4 303 Sr.
67 Thomas Bemenderfer 6-5 285 Jr.

RT 72 Paul Duncan 6-7 308 Jr.
70 Matt Romine 6-5 279 Fr.

RG 51 Dan Wenger 6-4 287 So.
73 Matt Carufel 6-5 295 So.

TE 89 JOHN CARLSON 6-6 255 Sr.
84 Will Yeatman 6-6 264 So.
88 Konrad Reuland 6-6 255 So.
83 Mike Ragone 6-5 230 Fr.
-----------------------

Maybe they should use some of the TEs to shore up the offensive line.
Interesting that Matt Romine is 2nd team RT.
I wonder if he would even be playing this year if he had gone to OU?

Dio
9/18/2007, 10:34 AM

Appy State begs to differ.

SoonerBOI
9/18/2007, 05:45 PM
I'm watching College Football live, and the Wiseman still acts like an arrogant puppy.

badger
9/18/2007, 06:26 PM
Now boys, this girl here thinks that Notre Dame has something to cheer about. They are now the #1 ranked team in the country (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=bottom10073), those Domers. No joke, they are at the top of the poll on espn.com.
:D