PDA

View Full Version : Freaking Microsoft/Xbox Support

SicEmBaylor
9/16/2007, 05:22 PM
So, more than a month ago my 360 crapped out on me. I got the red ring of death, so I had to send my Xbox to the repair center. Thank God it was still in warranty.

So last Monday, after about 4 weeks, I received a "replacement" Xbox. They sent me another 360 that had already been repaired in order get me playing again faster (according to the little letter attached to the box).

All of that is well and fine. I get the thing plugged in and turn it on and the thing flat out doesn't work. I again have the "ring of death" and the system has crapped out right out of the box. I call the repair center and after going a few rounds with some Pakistani (or indian) repair call center guy, I get a manager on the phone. He tells me they can't process a new repair order and it'll be at least a week before they can do so. He told me they would call me back when they could. I never can get a straight answer out of the guy as to why that is, but I said fine.

Well, I waited until Friday and thought I'd call back to see what the status of things were. Thank God, this time I got an American call center. The guy I talked to this time basically told me the same thing but gave me a better explanation. It has something to do with my previous repair order not being closed out (although I still don't know why or why it would take so long to close it). At that point though, I was getting pretty agitated. I told them that this time I expected a brand new system rather than another used/refurbished one.

My question is, should I really press the issue on this and demand a new system or something to make up for all the trouble that I've had with this? I think they could satisfy me either with a new system or by giving me a voucher for Halo 3 when it comes out. Something along those lines.

GottaHavePride
9/16/2007, 07:02 PM
You bought a new system, right? It didn't work. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect them to replace it with a brand-new system, not a crappy refurbished one. If you wanted a refurbished one that was ready to break down you could have bought a refurb in the first place.

At this point they ought to give you a new 360 Elite AND a voucher for Halo 3 for attempting to replace your broken new 360 with a broken refurb 360.

soonerboomer93
9/16/2007, 07:06 PM
yeah, because they intentionally shipped him a broken refurb... :rolleyes:

even if you demand it, you're most likely not going to get a brand new system

GottaHavePride
9/16/2007, 07:26 PM
Even so, the point remains: he bought a new system. When they couldn't (or didn't) repair it they shipped him a replacement that was a refurb.

1. The places I've worked, you wouldn't ever get away with replacing new merchandise with refurb merchandise.

2. Any and all refurbished items should be checked to make sure they work before they're shipped to anyone.

And getting a new system is easy. Tell the customer service manager "you know what, it's still under warranty; just give me my money back and I'll go get a PlayStation 3 instead".

SicEmBaylor
9/16/2007, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't have cared to receive my old system back, but it seems to me that if they can't fix my system then they should replace it not send me another system (that apparently wasn't even refurbished.)

SicEmBaylor
9/16/2007, 07:33 PM
And getting a new system is easy. Tell the customer service manager "you know what, it's still under warranty; just give me my money back and I'll go get a PlayStation 3 instead".

That's precisely what I was going to end up saying, but I'd have to get my money back from the retailer not them right?

Mark_of_Tulsa
9/16/2007, 08:00 PM
The refurbed one's are a lot better than the new ones from Asia. My brother and I have both got the ring of death, and they mailed us a shipping code, and mailed it to them and got it back in a week. I don't know why it took so long with you. But from everything I have heard, the refurbed one's are a lot more dependable. Also 95% of the issues with these things, is over heating. So do your best to give it plenty of air.

SicEmBaylor
9/16/2007, 08:03 PM
The refurbed one's are a lot better than the new ones from Asia. My brother and I have both got the ring of death, and they mailed us a shipping code, and mailed it to them and got it back in a week. I don't know why it took so long with you. But from everything I have heard, the refurbed one's are a lot more dependable. Also 95% of the issues with these things, is over heating. So do your best to give it plenty of air.

Well, overheating should not have been an issue. I had my first Xbox on a cool smooth surface away from any walls or corners that could have built up heat. It did overheat, but that's because of a design flaw with the systems that make them very susceptible to overheating.

But anyway, apparently the refurbished ones aren't great since mine lasted all of 5 minutes before going dead.

Frozen Sooner
9/16/2007, 08:11 PM
Even so, the point remains: he bought a new system. When they couldn't (or didn't) repair it they shipped him a replacement that was a refurb.

1. The places I've worked, you wouldn't ever get away with replacing new merchandise with refurb merchandise.

2. Any and all refurbished items should be checked to make sure they work before they're shipped to anyone.

On the other hand, his system was used when it broke, not new. If it red ringed of death right out of the box, he'd have an argument. However, what they're replacing is a used unit with a used unit-making him whole. ALL automotive warranties work this way.

Of course, it should have worked.

SicEmBaylor
9/16/2007, 08:19 PM
On the other hand, his system was used when it broke, not new. If it red ringed of death right out of the box, he'd have an argument. However, what they're replacing is a used unit with a used unit-making him whole. ALL automotive warranties work this way.

I just want a new system for the inconvenience you see.

SicEmBaylor
9/16/2007, 08:20 PM
This refurbished system is still sitting here as a giant paper weight. It annoys me to no end.

I'm going to call up on Monday and bitch some more.

GottaHavePride
9/16/2007, 08:36 PM

Oh, wait, you mean the original was a refurbished unit? That makes a bit of a difference. Yeah, that "if you wanted a refurbed unit that was about to break you could have bought one in the first place" comment I made? Exactly.

Frozen Sooner
9/16/2007, 08:50 PM
Oh, wait, you mean the original was a refurbished unit? That makes a bit of a difference. Yeah, that "if you wanted a refurbed unit that was about to break you could have bought one in the first place" comment I made? Exactly.

No, I mean that the unit that broke was used. SicEm used it. A used unit has depreciated value compared to a new unit. Unless a warranty specifically states that a unit that has broken will be replaced with a new one, they are perfectly within their rights to provide him with a refurbished one. Just as if you have a warranty on your vehicle and the engine blows, the warranty company is under no obligation to provide you with a new engine, they are simply obligated to provide you with a working engine in comparable condition to the one that blew.

SicEmBaylor
9/16/2007, 08:51 PM

The original was not a refurbished unit -- I got it in late May.

StoopTroup
9/16/2007, 08:53 PM
Priorities Man!

I got married before I got a game station.

;)

GottaHavePride
9/16/2007, 08:56 PM
No, I mean that the unit that broke was used. SicEm used it. A used unit has depreciated value compared to a new unit. Unless a warranty specifically states that a unit that has broken will be replaced with a new one, they are perfectly within their rights to provide him with a refurbished one. Just as if you have a warranty on your vehicle and the engine blows, the warranty company is under no obligation to provide you with a new engine, they are simply obligated to provide you with a working engine in comparable condition to the one that blew.

o i c.

gotcha.

OUDoc
9/16/2007, 08:58 PM
PS3

soonerboomer93
sicem's been married to his left hand since birth...

Frozen Sooner
o i c.

gotcha.

:D

No problemo man. Warranties=insurance. People expect things out of insurance it doesn't do.

GottaHavePride
9/16/2007, 09:08 PM
I forgot he had had the 360 that long.

OCUDad
9/16/2007, 09:13 PM
When I was a child I spoke as a child. I understood as a child. I thought as a child. But when I became a man I put away childish things.
Get a job, SicEm. :rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
9/16/2007, 09:14 PM
Priorities Man!

I got married before I got a game station.

;)

If I were married, my wife would be my game station.

Frozen Sooner
9/16/2007, 09:15 PM
Dude, if there's anyone in the world who could manage to get married without actually getting some, it'd be you.

SicEmBaylor
9/16/2007, 09:16 PM
Dude, if there's anyone in the world who could manage to get married without actually getting some, it'd be you.

If SicEmEx had married me then that would be very close to being the case.

DuSStyBottoms22
9/16/2007, 10:34 PM
I've had to send my xbox in at least 5 times since last june. The last time I asked them who i had to kill to get a new unit and they said that it had to have been sent in for repair 3 times within a 90 day period.

Good luck getting a new one.

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2007, 12:37 AM
I've had to send my xbox in at least 5 times since last june. The last time I asked them who i had to kill to get a new unit and they said that it had to have been sent in for repair 3 times within a 90 day period.

Good luck getting a new one.

I love Xbox. All of my games are for Xbox/360, but if I have to send another one in then I'm switching to Playstation. I'd rather have something reliable than keep going through this crap.

SoonerBBall
9/17/2007, 03:37 AM
You'd rather have a reliable system with no games? Good luck playing....well, anything on a PS3. That system sucks ***.

For better or worse, the 360 has the best game collection of any next gen system. Hellllllloooo BioShock. And Dead Rising.

SoonerAtKU
9/17/2007, 12:05 PM
Just an FYI, I had the same problem a few months ago before the extended warranty business. I was able to crack open my 360 and fix it in about 3 hours. Cost me about $20 in parts, including a Torx screwdriver set. If you do get fed up with your 360 and don't want to send it in again, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

The main problem is the x-shaped clamps they use to hold the heatsinks onto the CPU and GPU. The tension pulls the chip away from the board ever so slightly, causing your general failure. I replaced the clips with straight bolts and it's been smooth sailing ever since. I keep the clamps hung at my desk like a Predator's skulls.

badger
9/17/2007, 12:09 PM
I told you to get a Wii ;)

DuSStyBottoms22
9/17/2007, 04:12 PM
I love Xbox. All of my games are for Xbox/360, but if I have to send another one in then I'm switching to Playstation. I'd rather have something reliable than keep going through this crap.

I was thinking the same thing as you were until they extended the warranty, but the first time they try to get me to pay for a repair im going to break it into a thousand pieces and mail it to them and buy a PS3.