PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa will by far be the most challenging non-conf opponent this year.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/16/2007, 04:01 PM
Discuss.

kevpks
9/16/2007, 04:04 PM
Miami is much better, on defense anyway. I know we play Tulsa on the road, but that might as well be a home game. If we call Gundy for advice on how not to prepare for a friday night game, we'll be fine.

aurorasooner
9/16/2007, 04:20 PM
Total Defense
Year: 2007 Thru: 09/15/07 Minimum Pct. of Games Played
Rank Name Games Plays Yds Avg TDs Ydspgm Wins Losses Ties
1 LSU 3 168 385 2.29 1 128.33 3 0 Our 0
2 Oklahoma 3 186 539 2.90 2 179.67 3 0 0
108 Tulsa 2 158 972 6.15 9 486.00 2 0 0 Rushing Defense 85 Tulsa 2 79 369 4.67 3 184.5 2 0 0
Rushing Offense 13 Oklahoma 3 129 724 5.61 10 241.33 3 0 0 TRACK MEET
Our players are going to get an earful this week of the "Aggie Black Friday". I would feel a whole lot better if this was a Saturday Night game, instead of a Friday Night game, though. We just shouldn't be playing on Friday nights. The bad news is that it's our 1st away game, and you never know how a team will respond to it's 1st travel. The good news is that we're not flying and traveling 1/3 of the way across the country to play it, and it's still in Oklahoma. Too bad for us Skelly (or whatever it's name is) is such a dink stadium (35k). If it was around 60k capacity, I could see 40K Sooner fans in the stands.

tommieharris91
9/16/2007, 04:51 PM
They might be a better team than Miami, but we'll torch their defense to the tune of 60+, assuming they can score twice on our defense.

proudsoonergal
9/16/2007, 05:01 PM
Does that mean we'll only beat them by 37? :D

goingoneight
9/16/2007, 05:05 PM
We're a program on the decline!!!111!1

Week 1 = 79
Week 2 = 51 (vs. Miami)
Week 3 = 54 (shoulda been more... :D)

I think we roll 'em up and smoke 'em.

ClintonSooner
9/16/2007, 05:55 PM
no.

tommieharris91
9/16/2007, 05:59 PM
After all, the World's Greatest Offense is in Stillwater.

Ohhh, and there will still be 40K Sooner fans.

tulsaoilerfan
9/16/2007, 06:16 PM
I think it's ridiculous that this game is on Friday nite which will hurt attendance at the High School games in the state; colleges should never play on Fridays no matter how much $ is offered to show the game on TV

aurorasooner
9/16/2007, 06:49 PM
I think it's ridiculous that this game is on Friday nite which will hurt attendance at the High School games in the state; colleges should never play on Fridays no matter how much $ is offered to show the game on TV I completely agree. There are plenty of quality HS games that ESPN and Fox could show on Friday nights. However, the last 2 CFB Saturdays, I've had 3 games going at once and sometimes have had to use the PIP function for a 4th. I would imagine the NCAA and the Networks are in a mess with the advertisers (especially the 2nd half advertisers). Look at ABC's games last Saturday, ND/Michigan, USC Nebraska. I think that most fans (even ND fans) switched to other, more competitive games in the 2nd half, so, unfortunately we may see more high-profile Thursday and Friday night games, with ESPN/Fox paying the quality college FB schools big bucks to play on a Friday or Thursday night. Even the fans who aren't set-up for multiple-monitor-sports-viewing probably bang the remote (or PIP switch) to another game during commercials. Also Saturday CFB advertisers are just going to have to get Bud-light creative in order to keep fans from switching.

StoopTroup
9/16/2007, 06:59 PM
Seriously...

There's under 40,000 seats available this year due to construction and with the invention of the DVR as well as the VCR...I think you guys are overplaying this.

There's no way it will be that bad.

TU has played many Friday Games...this one just happens to have the Sooners playing them in Tulsa.

JohnnyMack
9/16/2007, 07:02 PM
We'll be lucky to score more than 42.

Smith is a smart QB and Graham is going to do everything he can to shorten this game.

They don't want to get into a slugfest with us.

Crucifax Autumn
9/16/2007, 08:29 PM
We'll score on every possession and they'll be lucky to score on any.

aurorasooner
9/16/2007, 08:36 PM
BYU vs Tulsa being replayed tomorrow night (Monday) at 6 PM (MST) 5 pm (central) on CSTV, according to my Comcast listings.

bluedogok
9/16/2007, 08:47 PM
How many of those people who will go to the OU-TU game Friday actually would have gone to a high school game instead? I think it would be very few, most people in the cities don't go to high school games unless they have family or a strong rooting interest in one of the teams. The only HS games that I go to are the one game a year that we usually make is in my wife's small town where she grew up, she went last Friday night when she took her dad back out to Monahans on Thursday. I have made maybe five PC West games since I graduated from there in 1982. The "impact" of this Friday night game on high school games will be minimal, most people aren't going to not go see their kid play because OU is on TV. I don't begrudge TU for doing this, I do think it would be a different matter entirely if OU was doing this.

Just because you are a football fan doesn't mean you go see every version of it, just like most Nascar fans aren't racing fans, they're Nascar fans. So don't expect to see them at the local short track if you have one.

Position Limit
9/16/2007, 08:54 PM
the only thing to work on this week against tulsa is the coin flip. seriously. allen and demarco will go off this friday.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/17/2007, 08:54 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think we beat them soundly.

I'm just sayin'... our non-conf schedule (minus whomever we play in the bowl game this year) is looking ultra-weak. I hope it is because we are just "that good."

I think Miami, yes, has a much better defense top to bottom than Tulsa is fielding. And the Golden Hurricane have given up A LOT of points. So no reason to think we won't ring 'em up for 35+.

But, their offense is pretty high octane and will easily be the stiffest test for our defense to date. (Which, frankly, our defense needs given the powder-puff offenses they've faced and to help prepare for Big XII play.) Tulsa will score. And I can see them dropping anywhere from 2 to 4 TD's on us. (If we hold them to 2, our defense will have had a heck of a good night.)

And we are on the road, though we probably will have about 1/3 of the crowd wearing crimson.

So, that's how I figure they'll be our toughest to date.

So then we have CU... who in their infinite wisdom has made us their homecoming opponent. (They had a chance of us overlooking them towards Texas, right up to that point... now they're toast.)

Which brings us to...

(I know, Bob, I know...take it one week at a time...)

r5TPsooner
9/17/2007, 09:00 AM
I think OU wins, but I also think we'll get to see just how good our defense is as this will be the best (so far) offensive team that we play. I also think we'll get to see just how good our secondary is on Friday as Tulsa might throw it fifty times.

sooneron
9/17/2007, 09:35 AM
45-13. Paperclips - book it.

David Earl
9/17/2007, 09:52 AM
Tulsa will beat is, run the table and win all the marbles. Book it.

SoonerBOI
9/17/2007, 10:17 AM
They will air it out and test our secondary. It will be a good game.

MichiganSooner
9/17/2007, 10:31 AM
This will be a difficult game particularly for the defense.

And, I would be going to our high school team's game if this were not being played on Friday. FYI, none of my family has played football; it is just the thing to do on a Friday night and the Bartlesville Bruins are 0-3.