PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Little Secret About USC

FaninAma
9/16/2007, 02:31 PM
Besides the fact they are a dirty program.

They are rated 99th in pass defense and 41st in total defense.

I think their defense plays a high risk/high reward type of scheme meaning they blitz a lot and try to create turnovers or negative plays for the opposing defense. I think they will run into a team with a better OL than what Nebraska had and they will get toasted in the secondary. Nebraska's running game could not keep their defense honest. BTW, how many yards did Nebraska rush for in the Big 12 title game v. OU last year?

Offensively it is very apparent they miss their receivers from last year and if they play a team that can stop their running game(obviously that wasn't Nebraska) the Trojans will struggle because Booty is no Leinart.

Right now I think both OU and LSU would beat them by 2 TDs. OU and LSU would shut their running game down and they would exploit the Trojans weaknesses on defense.

Nebraska had a new, young DL and did not match up well against USC.

Bottom line....USC loses at least 2 games by the end of the year and if they manage to win out they will get blasted in the national title game..

SoonerEmpire
9/16/2007, 02:35 PM
That's good information. Thanks for bringing that up! I completely agree. They're not unbeatable. It's only a matter of time before they get b*tch slapped off that high and lofty mountain they've been sitting on top of for the last couple years.

Flagstaffsooner
9/16/2007, 02:35 PM
But espn loves them, and so do San Francisco bath houses.

Jewstin
9/16/2007, 03:08 PM
Yep, agreed. I've been saying USC will drop at least two games here, and last night's game with Nebraska just confirms some of my sneaking suspicions. Yeah, they put it on the Huskers, but they didn't show me anything that a #1 team does (aside from taking advantage of Nebraska's complete and utter inability to tackle ANYONE).

kevpks
9/16/2007, 04:13 PM
That's good information. Thanks for bringing that up! I completely agree. They're not unbeatable. It's only a matter of time before they get b*tch slapped off that high and lofty mountain they've been sitting on top of for the last couple years.

They got slapped by two unranked teams last year but the college football gurus still locked them into the top spot, have practically given Booty a ticket to New York and are preparing to send the crystal ball to Compton as we speak. My hatred for USC grows every week.

SoonerBOI
9/16/2007, 04:16 PM
GOOD OBSERVATION. I thought their running game saved last night and the orrible NEbraska D aided them too.

FaninAma
9/16/2007, 04:19 PM
But espn loves them, and so do San Francisco bath houses.

Speaking of which, did anybody see the pregame segment on ESPN that showed the Trojans posing on the field right before the game in their Under Armour? I don't think I've ever seen a team do that before. Of course the ESPN announcers were just gushing, literally, about how ripped and studley looking the SC players were.

It was one of the gheyest moments I have ever witnessed on television. It would have made Liberace proud.

snp
9/16/2007, 04:29 PM
They got slapped by two unranked teams last year but the college football gurus still locked them into the top spot, have practically given Booty a ticket to New York and are preparing to send the crystal ball to Compton as we speak. My hatred for USC grows every week.

Oregon state finished the year ranked 22. They were a pretty solid team and both of those losses came on the road by a combined 6 points.

tommieharris91
9/16/2007, 04:44 PM
USC's remaining schedule:

Wash St
@Washington
Stanford
Arizona
@Notre Dame
@Oregon
Oregon St
@California
@Arizona St
UCLA

For one thing, every team in the Pac-10 plays each other every year. Thus, Pac-10 teams only get 3 OOC games. Anyway, it looks like all of their tough games, except for UCLA, are on the road. Wash is a better team, Oregon can pass the ball, and Cal is good. This schedule says they will lose at least 1 game this season.

Also, how many yards did SUC give up to Idaho?

kevpks
9/16/2007, 04:52 PM
Oregon state finished the year ranked 22. They were a pretty solid team and both of those losses came on the road by a combined 6 points.

Ok, I'll give you Oregon St. as a pretty decent team, but UCLA is barely a road game, plus that Bruins team got flat out embarrased in their bowl game and look what happened to them yesterday. Besides, my point is that the media has annointed USC as if Leinart and Bush were still in the backfield.

snp
9/16/2007, 04:56 PM
Ok, I'll give you Oregon St. as a pretty decent team, but UCLA is barely a road game, plus that Bruins team got flat out embarrased in their bowl game and look what happened to them yesterday. Besides, my point is that the media has annointed USC as if Leinart and Bush were still in the backfield.

Well, you could also make the rivalry game excuse but whatever. How the Bruins are doing this year has nothing to do with last year. I don't really care to bitch about their ranking so far, it's only week 3.

Also, DenverSooner751, please elaborate why my last post was lame enough to neg me.

The Maestro
9/16/2007, 04:59 PM

I think their defense plays a high risk/high reward type of scheme meaning they blitz a lot and try to create turnovers or negative plays for the opposing defense. I think they will run into a team with a better OL than what Nebraska had and they will get toasted in the secondary. Nebraska's running game could not keep their defense honest. BTW, how many yards did Nebraska rush for in the Big 12 title game v. OU last year?

Offensively it is very apparent they miss their receivers from last year and if they play a team that can stop their running game(obviously that wasn't Nebraska) the Trojans will struggle because Booty is no Leinart.

Right now I think both OU and LSU would beat them by 2 TDs. OU and LSU would shut their running game down and they would exploit the Trojans weaknesses on defense.

Nebraska had a new, young DL and did not match up well against USC.

Bottom line....USC loses at least 2 games by the end of the year and if they mange to win out they will get blasted in the national title game..

Agree, agree and agree...this was overlooked and it is the public perception and the perception of many fans to fall in love with the stars of the day. Last night, USC got some love for a good win at Nebraska...they earned it...but they do not deserve to be treated like unbeatable anymore than the week before everyone was questioning USC while praising OU and LSU. I mean, USC did NOT play the week before? How were they supposed to look good? It's a long season...I just know we are scoring 61 points a game and our defense has scored more touchdowns than they have allowed.

kevpks
9/16/2007, 05:07 PM
Well, you could also make the rivalry game excuse but whatever. How the Bruins are doing this year has nothing to do with last year. I don't really care to bitch about their ranking so far, it's only week 3.

Also, DenverSooner751, please elaborate why my last post was lame enough to neg me.

I guess it not so much their ranking that annoys me, although I still think OU, LSU and Florida (the defending national champion) have been better so far. What bothers me is the whole media package. Did anyone else get the sense that Herbstreit and Brent M. were just a tad overblown in their assesment of USC? The only person the whole night to point out the lack of a passing game was freakin Corso! Herbstreit just made excuses for it. And shouldn't Booty be able to impress us with his passing before we start talking him up for the Heisman? Unless of course we want to give him an invite as a representative of the five runningbacks he hands off to.

snp
9/16/2007, 05:10 PM
It's best to try and ignore the love fest for USC. With no NFL team in LA, ESPN has to be able to tap into that market somehow. I agree, this year, like every other year is a USC love orgy.

fadada1
9/16/2007, 05:56 PM
their defense may be suspect at times, but their offense gets yards in big chunks. to me, that wears a defense out emotionally - especially on 3rd and long when they get first downs + another 10. it will also take away the emotional element of the crowd.

they're good, but beatable, imo.

Jacie
9/16/2007, 06:04 PM
I expected to see the nebbish take one on the chin and that is what happened versus the condoms. However, for all SC's team speed (the cornshucks looked like they were running through molasses next to them) southern cow did look like a team that can be beaten. They no longer have a game-breaker on the order of Bush or an unstoppable fullback and their receivers were adequate but not the all-world types, at least not yet, that they have had the last four years.

Does anyone else think USuC plays a tad dirty on defense, kinda like the cocaines used to in going after the opposing qb a little too aggresively? Or is it that they wanted to punish Keller in particular for when he was at Arizona?

ClintonSooner
9/16/2007, 06:20 PM
HAHAHAHAHA PHUCK USC!...

anyways, they always seem like they can get the job done when it matters most, we can hate em all we want untill someone levels their big heads.

JLB
9/16/2007, 07:00 PM
The USC lovefest always sucks.But im so glad the Notre Dame lovefest is over.

StoopTroup
9/16/2007, 07:02 PM
Once Charlie Weiss reinvents his team...

ND will punish the condoms. :rolleyes:

:pop:

Sooner_Havok
9/16/2007, 07:12 PM
Notre Dame will bounce back from this loss, and play in a BCS game this year with a record of 9-3

:D

Crucifax Autumn
9/16/2007, 08:26 PM
When USC loses, it's gonna be declared a holiday in my house to be celebrated for years to come.

OUMedMan
9/16/2007, 10:15 PM
in their opinions about USC.

These are exactly the same sentiments expressed here about USC before the 2005 Orange Bowl game.

soonerloyal
9/16/2007, 10:52 PM
Oh, but there's a lovely patina that's developed over the last few years on that animosity. A bit like allowing wine to age just a tad longer...

Wishing USC a crushing failure isn't unrealistic or bitter. It's like cheering for Bambi to get an Uzi to avenge his mom's death. The hunter has it coming.
:D

mdklatt
9/16/2007, 10:58 PM
Speaking of which, did anybody see the pregame segment on ESPN that showed the Trojans posing on the field right before the game in their Under Armour? I don't think I've ever seen a team do that before. Of course the ESPN announcers were just gushing, literally, about how ripped and studley looking the SC players were.

Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

Crucifax Autumn
9/16/2007, 11:20 PM
Luckily this is an entirely different year, with entirely different players. The past has nothing to do with this season...They will lose or we will beat them.

soonersweetie
9/16/2007, 11:49 PM
I was dealing ok with the espn love fest of sc, but what took the cake was in the second half when apparently the sideline reporter got the song girls together to sing happy birthday to pete carroll, that just about made me puke. I swear musberger almost joined them in singing, it was just pathetic.

At that point, i didn't care to watch anymore and turned the tulsa/byu game on. Much better game in my opinion.

man i hate usc

Crucifax Autumn
9/16/2007, 11:51 PM
I notice that no one acted like they were running up the score even though the starters were in until late in the 4th and even then some of them rotated back in.

jwlynn64
9/17/2007, 01:40 AM
Only OU runs up the score. ;) I'm surprised USC didn't do a fake field goal late in the 4th.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/17/2007, 06:41 AM
USC didn't impress me a whole lot but LsU and Florida have looked so impressive and I also know that USC wil get better as the season progresses. Whether you hate Carroll or not, you have to realize he is a great coach and he tends to get his team ready to compete. I think that USC is a little behind Florida, LSU, and OU, however, Florida or LsU will cancel each other out and also don't look now but if Cal beats USC, I wouldn't be suprised to see us ALL drop below since USC is sooooo good according to experts.

FaninAma
9/17/2007, 08:58 AM
in their opinions about USC.

These are exactly the same sentiments expressed here about USC before the 2005 Orange Bowl game.

I understand that but this year's Trojan model has no where near the level of talent that the 04 model had.

BTW, currently the following teams have scoreboard on us: Notre Dame, Oregon, USC, Texas, Boise State, TCU, LSU and Mississippi.

Are you saying that just because all these teams beat OU in their last meeting that we shouldn't opine that OU is a better team this year?

The problem with the BCS and poll system is that programs will operate on past reputation for a long time until it becomes painfully obvious that they aren't really of the same caliber as past years when they built their reputation.

I think it's telling that USC's defensive ranking is so low considering the level of competion they've played. Even if you consider Nebraska's offense as an elite offense(which I don't) the Trojans should be higher than 41st. It will be very interesting to see how they match up against Oregon, Cal and even Arizona State....all of whom have better offenses and OLs than Nebraska. I know they have better defenses than Nebraska. (If Nebraska's defense doesn't improve they will finish 3rd or 4th in the Big 12 North this year.)

And I still think that the high number of assistant coaches that have moved on has hurt their program. I guess time will tell if Petey Carrol is the coaching genius that Herbie and the rest of his groupies on ESPN think he is.

r5TPsooner
9/17/2007, 09:02 AM
USC's remaining schedule:

Wash St
@Washington
Stanford
Arizona
@Notre Dame
@Oregon
Oregon St
@California
@Arizona St
UCLA

For one thing, every team in the Pac-10 plays each other every year. Thus, Pac-10 teams only get 3 OOC games. Anyway, it looks like all of their tough games, except for UCLA, are on the road. Wash is a better team, Oregon can pass the ball, and Cal is good. This schedule says they will lose at least 1 game this season.

Also, how many yards did SUC give up to Idaho?

As much as I dislike USC, I'd love to see them hang about 70 points on Notre Dame in there house.

My Opinion Matters
9/17/2007, 09:10 AM
They've played two games. The stats don't mean anything yet.

badger
9/17/2007, 09:26 AM
Here's a better attack on USC: Uncle Dave's shot at them to the Associated Press:

"I look at, frankly, what's happened to USC? There was hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake there. They haven't said, they haven't been able to find out what happened and get the evidence. Well, we vigorously pursued and got the evidence ourselves."
Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3023002)

Dan Thompson
9/17/2007, 10:05 AM
I expect USC to lose to Oregon and/or Cal.

Partial Qualifier
9/17/2007, 11:22 AM
2 things that struck me about SC - their QB isn't as good as I thought, I mean he's good but as much as I've head this guy's name, idunno. I expected a star at QB but his performance on Saturday was just good, not real good or great. He seemed a little slow to find his options.

But overall, SC is STACKED with good players. I know i know, Cpt. Obvious.

Dan Thompson
9/17/2007, 12:58 PM
I am shacking my head about the coaches and I am asking myself why didn't Nebraska stay with the passing game? Look what happened in the 4th quarter when they went back to the passing game.

Also, with USC opening the line for the running game didn't Nebraska bring up the linebackers or get a 5th defensive lineman up there to help?

If Oregon's OL can hold or they rollout, the passing game will beat USC, IHMO.

rondog79
9/17/2007, 03:21 PM
bring on the them little condoms ,bring on those gators ,bring on the kittins it dosent matter. espn can go on and on about how good they are but the season will tell that the OKLAHOMA SOONERS will be in the national chamionship game. and in that game if we play up to our capablities. OU WILL BE THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no question about it

Harry Beanbag
9/17/2007, 04:33 PM
I'd take Nate Hybl over Booty. The USC O-line is their team, until somebody can get to Booty and rough him up, they will not lose. I've never seen holes like the ones they opened up on Nebraska, you don't need eight 5 star RBs to run the ball with 10 yard wide holes.

The Maestro
9/17/2007, 04:36 PM
I'd take Nate Hybl over Booty. The USC O-line is their team, until somebody can get to Booty and rough him up, they will not lose. I've never seen holes like the ones they opened up on Nebraska, you don't need eight 5 star RBs to run the ball with 10 yard wide holes.

True, but Nebraska lost some key starters in the front 7 from last year and I think Callahan is so busy with the offense his defense doesn't get enough of his attention, but from coaching or recruiting. Of course, the coaching part might be a good thing for them.

These are not the Blackshirts of the 90's...that is for damn sure. They couldn't even tackle that slow fullback on the first play...pathetic.

soonersam
9/17/2007, 09:03 PM
I still think Nebraska lost any chance of making it respectable when the USC guy faked a injury for 35 mins.. that place went from rockin to dead!!!

Zing
9/17/2007, 09:38 PM
I still think Nebraska lost any chance of making it respectable when the USC guy faked a injury for 35 mins.. that place went from rockin to dead!!!

Yeah, that was pretty sad. He was back in the game a few plays later.

man00
9/17/2007, 09:50 PM
USC = Cruise Control...didn't we hear the same thing a few years back? USC will go undefeated with ease.

FaninAma
9/17/2007, 10:41 PM
USC = Cruise Control...didn't we hear the same thing a few years back? USC will go undefeated with ease.

Yes, past success is always a guarantee of future success. That's why Miami kicked our @$$es again this year....oh wait, never mind.

I usually avoid message board ****ing matches but if you're really confident in your opinion I think we could come to some agreement regarding a little wager on who's opinion proves to be correct. How about it?

kevpks
9/17/2007, 11:22 PM

Looking back at this dude's post history is pretty hilarious. How can one man be so wrong?

FaninAma
9/17/2007, 11:37 PM
Looking back at this dude's post history is pretty hilarious. How can one man be so wrong?

LOL. Here's link to some of his predictions. Based on his track record I think it's all but a given now that USC loses at least 2 games.
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/search.php?searchid=375742

Sooner_Havok
9/17/2007, 11:47 PM
LOL. Here's link to some of his predictions. Based on his track record I think it's all but a given now that USC loses at least 2 games.
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/search.php?searchid=375742

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Egeo
9/17/2007, 11:58 PM

i havent watched them this year, but i dont believe they blitz that much the last few years
their #1 goal is to run the ball and stop the run

they get turnovers because they are talented

Crucifax Autumn
9/18/2007, 12:07 AM
They are definitely talented. Giving houses to players' moms tends to convince blue-chippers to come to campus and play like madmen.

But they'll still lose a game or 2 this year!

FaninAma
9/18/2007, 12:44 AM
i havent watched them this year, but i dont believe they blitz that much the last few years
their #1 goal is to run the ball and stop the run

they get turnovers because they are talented

They blitzed a lot against Nebraska...both on passing and running downs. I really think USC wasn't concerned about the Husker receivers hurting the Trojan dbs in one-on-one schemes....and they were right.

And USC's runninggame was pretty average last year.

And it wasn't like Nebraska had a ton of costly turnovers. Their QB threw the one int for a TD but he was hurried a lot....especially in the 2nd half.

BTW, here's how Nebraska's defense compared to Army's defense v. a common opponent: Wake Forest:

Wake vs Army Defense
1st Downs: 11
Total Yards: 213
Passing: 49
Rushing: 164

Wake vs NU Defensehttp://65.98.70.3/vbbs/images/smilies/frown.gif http://65.98.70.3/vbbs/images/smilies/confused.gif
1st Downs: 18 (+7)
Total Yards: 376 (+163)
Passing: 140 (+91)
Rushing: 236 (+72)

Obviously, SC was not moving the ball against the Blackshirt defense of the 90's.

MamaMia
9/18/2007, 07:44 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/flagpole20hj.jpg

During the whole game I couldn't help but chuckle every time the sportscasters made those ridiculous comments about how USC has once again shown the world how great they are by beating the mighty Nebraska Cornhuskers.

MALE918
9/18/2007, 10:48 AM

Cornhusker fans=the nicest in college football. (gotta love'em) I know it's in bad taste to pile on an injured player; but geez, maybe they shouldn't clap and be sooooooo nice..............The first think I thought when I saw the guy go down, was planned momentum breaker..a purely visceral feeling.

stoopified
9/18/2007, 10:54 AM
USC gets their BOOTY kicked at least once this year,and maybe twice.

MALE918
9/18/2007, 10:59 AM
I hate these comparisons but i can't help it right now.....I wonder who would win between CoCanes and CornHeads. It seems pretty obvious the CoCanes would be able to run on the CornHeads (probably pretty easily). Could the CornHeads move the ball on the CoCanes. Even though the CoCanes are not the speed demons they used to be, I still think they are fast and talented enough on the defensive line and linebackers to give the CornHeads fits.......................CoCanes win in a close one................With that in mind which is a more impressive win USC-49 Huskers-31 (really 17)----or----OU-51 Canes-13.....HMMMM...just think in type.