PDA

View Full Version : New Coaches Poll

SteelClip49
9/16/2007, 11:36 AM
no date change yet but new poll

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

Ash
9/16/2007, 11:39 AM
I'll never understand why teams drop a significant amount of spots because they lose to the higher ranked team. Nebbish dumped to 22 for losing to the number one team in the nation.

The Maestro
9/16/2007, 11:40 AM
I'll never understand why teams drop a significant amount of spots because they lose to the higher ranked team. Nebbish dumped to 22 for losing to the number one team in the nation.

Well, they didn't look good doing it...USC averaged around 10 yards a carry, if not more. Might not have dropped if they had given USC a fight.

tulsaoilerfan
9/16/2007, 11:42 AM
As crappy as they looked, they are lucky to be still ranked.

The Maestro
9/16/2007, 11:42 AM
Glad we moved ahead of West Virginia now in the coaches poll..not sure why the three teams ahead of us are all getting votes and we haven't gotten any.

Oh, well...LSU-Florida will take care of itself on October 6th. If we take care of business we will keep moving up.

IGotNoTiming
9/16/2007, 11:43 AM
I agree with M,

I think with Nebraska it was how bout they were beaten in their own house. The score was closer because of some late points by Nebraska...

Ash
9/16/2007, 11:44 AM
Well, they didn't look good doing it...USC averaged around 10 yards a carry, if not more. Might not have dropped if they had given USC a fight.

True, and it was on their home field. But this inevitably happens in the polls - I guess some instances are more defensible than others. It just seems punitive toward the team that should have been expected to lose anyway. But whatever, early season rankings are like teets on a boar.

Ash
9/16/2007, 11:45 AM
Glad we moved ahead of West Virginia now in the coaches poll..not sure why the three teams ahead of us are all getting votes and we haven't gotten any.

Oh, well...LSU-Florida will take care of itself on October 6th. If we take care of business we will keep moving up.

They've played and soundly beaten ranked teams, we haven't.

Sooner FLiP
9/16/2007, 11:49 AM
i dont think we will get any votes until OU-saxet weekend.

The Maestro
9/16/2007, 11:50 AM
They've played and soundly beaten ranked teams, we haven't.

Well, after averaging a 61-9 win in three games and having a QB completing passes at a percentage that rivals Steve Nash at the free throw line proves something. But time will fix all of the question marks. Problem is, our schedule is just starting to look worse and worse...not better. We need to crush Texas for style points in the polls since we might not face a ranked team the rest of the way...except for Missouri.

IronHorseSooner
9/16/2007, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maestro

The only problem that this poses is that FLA has to play them in the Bayou. If FLA goes into :les:ville and beats them, they will jump over us (or stay ahead of us) depending on the poll. There are other dangers lurking for the SEC teams as well: The Ol' Ball Coach, Saban, and the new sudden power in Kentucky. The over/under in the FLA - UK game might be 100. There will be no defense played, and UK has the best QB in the country, period.

hink4769
9/16/2007, 12:06 PM
i think we should just go out and annihilate every team we play by 20+, its not inconceivable with this schedule.

mdklatt
9/16/2007, 12:09 PM
The only problem that this poses is that FLA has to play them in the Bayou. If FLA goes into :les:ville and beats them, they will jump over us (or stay ahead of us) depending on the poll.

There's a very good chance LSU and Florida will meet in the SEC championship game. We need them to go 1-1 against each other. And for a whole of other stuff to happen just right so let's not even worry about any of this until December.

soonerloyal
9/16/2007, 12:11 PM

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/KevAndLori/SOONERS/gator_1.jpg

whitehelmutsagain
9/16/2007, 12:34 PM

NU gave up. zero ground game. no back up so Keller gets beat up.

I saw it happening in the 2nd quarter. USC is a fearsome looking team.:pop:

Ash
9/16/2007, 12:41 PM
Well, after averaging a 61-9 win in three games and having a QB completing passes at a percentage that rivals Steve Nash at the free throw line proves something. But time will fix all of the question marks. Problem is, our schedule is just starting to look worse and worse...not better. We need to crush Texas for style points in the polls since we might not face a ranked team the rest of the way...except for Missouri.

I'm in total agreement, although maybe the nut-squeezers stay ranked long enough for us to whack 'em.

IronHorseSooner
9/16/2007, 12:41 PM
USC is a fearsome looking team.

Yes, against Nebbish, but not against a team that has the same caliber of athletes as they do (like LoSUr, us, FLA, Cal, Oregon, or WVU). I include UO only because they are on their schedule. As well, if the opposing coach had half a brain and wouldn't give up, then they could do this. Like I have said, spread their defense out, and put 8 men in the box and force their noob receivers to beat you. Those six teams mentioned above can do that. SUC will lose this year before their BCS game. Don't be surprised if Cal makes it to NOLA instead of SUC.

Ash
9/16/2007, 12:43 PM
Don't be surprised if Cal makes it to NOLA instead of SUC.

Actually, I'd be really surprised. I think SUC has the D to slow down Cal but the same is not true for Cal's D and SUCs offense.

KC//CRIMSON
9/16/2007, 12:45 PM
OU will get jumped by Florida in the AP Poll this week. No biggie, they deserve it. Too bad they still have to play LSU.;)

IronHorseSooner
9/16/2007, 12:48 PM
OU will get jumped by Florida in the AP Poll this week. No biggie, they deserve it. Too bad they still have to play LSU.

First, I agree it will happen. Second, in the end, since they do have to play each other, it is like we are third. Even though, if I was FLA, I would be just as concerned about the Gamecocks and Wildcats, as well. Kentucky's QB is unreal good!

mdklatt
9/16/2007, 01:00 PM
Kentucky's QB is unreal good!

Only if you think Lewavuhl's defense is any better than Kent State's or Eastern Kentucky's. :D

opksooner
9/16/2007, 01:00 PM
We are beginning to see the ranking consequences of playing our soft schedule. We will have to demolish ut, aTm, and Mizzou in order to confirm our position at the top. Too many good teams up there to get to #1 by default.

Jacie
9/16/2007, 01:05 PM
i wouldn't read too much in a last minute win in a high scoring game by Kentucky over Louisville. Being one of the top teams in the Big East is like going to your 10-year highschool reunion and bragging about your promotion assistant manager of at McDonald's.

BillyBall
9/16/2007, 01:10 PM
Its the third week of the season... I dont think anyone can truly know at this point who the best team in the country is.

SoonerBOI
9/16/2007, 01:11 PM
I like our rank, just about right.

Flagstaffsooner
9/16/2007, 01:12 PM
OU will get jumped by Florida in the AP Poll this week. No biggie, they deserve it. Too bad they still have to play LSU.;)It happened.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/appoll.htm

StoopTroup
9/16/2007, 01:15 PM
Yep...

We got a 1st place vote.

soonerloyal
9/16/2007, 01:19 PM
We always seem to be the team to win big and yet drop in the polls. Never enough respect...

Oh well, it's just the third week. We started out #19 in 2000. Less room to move up this time.

MichiganSooner
9/16/2007, 03:52 PM
What??? Not even a single vote for Georgia or Troy?

illinisooner
9/16/2007, 03:58 PM
Nebraska wasn't that good to begin with.

sooner518
9/16/2007, 04:24 PM
oh well who cares. Florida pWning Tennesuck was more impressive than us blowing out Utah St

goingoneight
9/16/2007, 04:36 PM
I am not totally sold on Florida just yet. I'm now a believer in Tebow's passing game... but not so much in a defense that has two returning starters from a team that did, indeed lose a game last year.
LSU's offense is so boring and predictable, but they have a champinship-caliber D.
USC looks beatble, but much like Oklahoma... you have to look very hard to find out how.

Rankings are okay for now...

SleestakSooner
9/16/2007, 04:56 PM
Florida leap-frogged us but are only a slim 3-point margin ahead in the AP and 60 points ahead in the coaches poll. If OU takes care of business and has a good winning performance against UT they will jump up to third. I am liking the spot we are in now, all we need is a loss from one of two teams and OU to stay undefeated. I really like our chances and the fact that the media isn't really looking at us yet. That will keep the boys fired up and keep the paparazzi off their backs.

Rogue
9/16/2007, 08:18 PM
We could be anywhere between 3 and 6 right now and it'd be about right.

South Carolina vs. Clemson is shaping up to be a helluva game.

How bad is Auburn? The best bad team in the country? Ahead of Meatchicken and ND?

Texas Golfer
9/16/2007, 08:31 PM
For as bad as the Big XII is supposed to be, half of the Big XII is in the Top 28.

msteudem
9/16/2007, 10:11 PM
LSU could potentially play Florida twice, once in the regular season and once in the SEC CCG. If they each win one of the meetings that puts us in the top 2 if we take care of our business.

soonersam
9/16/2007, 10:14 PM
Serious??? Do you get ABC??

soonersam
9/16/2007, 10:16 PM
Florida leap-frogged us but are only a slim 3-point margin ahead in the AP and 60 points ahead in the coaches poll. If OU takes care of business and has a good winning performance against UT they will jump up to third. I am liking the spot we are in now, all we need is a loss from one of two teams and OU to stay undefeated. I really like our chances and the fact that the media isn't really looking at us yet. That will keep the boys fired up and keep the paparazzi off their backs.
I have no problem with Florida jumping us. They look good and had a great win against a strong rival.... They still have LSU, maybe twice. It will get worked out!!!

Ash
9/16/2007, 10:47 PM
nm

Jeronimo
9/16/2007, 11:03 PM
florida destroyed a tennessee team that at the time was considered a big game. could prove to be a really weak game depending on what the Vols do rest of the season. i have no probs with UF jumping ahead. I do think we need those ahead of us to lose in order for us to get in though.

critical_phil
9/16/2007, 11:57 PM
in a related story, kentucky remains behind l'ville in both polls.

Crucifax Autumn
9/17/2007, 12:00 AM
I'll start watching the polls more seriously starting toward the end of October. Until then I'm cool as long as we stick up near the top.

SoonerSloan
9/17/2007, 01:28 AM
i wonder where we got the first place vote from...

and while sifting through the AP ballots i found these rather interesting ballots, some of them could be used for a decent spoof of those "Really?" segments from SNL weekend update

Really Chip? after the gophers lost to FAU did you just have enough college football for the weekend or are you serious with that ballot... Really? (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/specials/collegefootball_front/votes/SCOGGINS.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME)

Being able to beat Darren McFadden with a final seconds TD will take you from unranked to #12.... Really?? (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/specials/collegefootball_front/votes/KAIPUST.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME)

Really Rodney? Texas #4, Oklahoma #7... and Florida State beating Colorado makes them top 25... Really? (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/specials/collegefootball_front/votes/MCKISSIC.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME)

Can someone explain how Nebraska loses to USC and this guy has them #12 ahead of what they were previously ranked? Really??? Also why does he get to submit a top 26 ballot? Really? (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/specials/collegefootball_front/votes/FRANCHUK.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME)

Texas A&M a top 10 team? Really? (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/specials/collegefootball_front/votes/BATTERSON.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME)

Bourbon St Sooner
9/17/2007, 08:49 AM
Of course against Miami, we could have done what Fla did against TN - keep our starters in late in the 4th quarter to keep throwing in the end zone. I think they scored 2 TDs in the last 5 mins to make it look even worse. Karma's a bitch!

stoopified
9/17/2007, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maestro

The only problem that this poses is that FLA has to play them in the Bayou. If FLA goes into :les:ville and beats them, they will jump over us (or stay ahead of us) depending on the poll. There are other dangers lurking for the SEC teams as well: The Ol' Ball Coach, Saban, and the new sudden power in Kentucky. The over/under in the FLA - UK game might be 100. There will be no defense played, and UK has the best QB in the country, period.Win or lose UF should get a second shot at LSU in Atlanta.If we take care of our business .I think everything else will work OUt.