9/16/2007, 10:23 AM
Cody Hawkins #97

Ardmore_Sooner
9/16/2007, 10:29 AM
We have the No. 1 Scoring Offense!

mdklatt
9/16/2007, 10:58 AM
Cody Hawkins #97

And he's easily twice as good a QB as the guy they had last year.

IGotNoTiming
9/16/2007, 11:51 AM
Wow #2 in Total Defense and # 3 in Total Offense....
We gotta pray that LSU or USC loses one game or we are gonna get hosed at the end.

OK2LA
9/16/2007, 12:15 PM
Wow #2 in Total Defense and # 3 in Total Offense....
We gotta pray that LSU or USC loses one game or we are gonna get hosed at the end.

Don't forget about the defending national champions.

Fla and Lsu play each other OU/tx weekend, so one of those teams will have a loss, but with that loss, it will not drop them that far. We almost have to have them lose, and then lose again in the sec championship game.

Good thing is - usc has to play Notre Dame

OKC-SLC
9/16/2007, 12:26 PM
It is early, for sure. But if UF were to beat LSU, then LSU beats them in SEC championship (assuming for a moment that USC wins out)--I'm not sure an undefeated Big 12 champion OU doesn't get left out.

mdklatt
9/16/2007, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure an undefeated Big 12 champion OU doesn't get left out.

The way the Big 12 looks overall right now, deservedly so.

colleyvillesooner
9/16/2007, 12:30 PM
I would hope there is no way a BCS conference team could undefeated and get left out in favor of a one loss team. That would be beginning of the END of the BCS, and would probably get a playoff sooner rather than later.

mdklatt
9/16/2007, 12:35 PM
I would hope there is no way a BCS conference team could undefeated and get left out in favor of a one loss team. That would be beginning of the END of the BCS, and would probably get a playoff sooner rather than later.

Oh, I didn't read that right at first. I thought he was saying undefeated OU would lose out to an undefeated SEC team and USC. I don't think we could get jumped by a one-loss team without a lot of Coach's Poll shenanigans. Our SOS won't be so terrible that an SEC team could overcome a loss in the computers. I think. The worst case scenario would be if the North teams we don't play beat up on the ones that we do.

Edit: And they really reduced the importance of SOS in the calculations back in 2004 (the Crybaby USC rule).

OKC-SLC
9/16/2007, 12:36 PM
The way the Big 12 looks overall right now, deservedly so.
Exactly.

I think if an opportunity comes up where there are three fairly equally deserving candidates to go to NC game and OU is among them, two things will factor in decisions:

1) the Big 12 is not good

2) 2003's experience putting OU in.

OKC-SLC
9/16/2007, 12:43 PM
I can imagine a circumstance where UF jumps us in polls by beating LSU, then LSU swaps places with them in polls for beating them in SEC champ. game. All the while, SUC and OU are undefeated.

I think the Big 12 weakness (and I think it's PERCEIVED weakness may even be worse) will hurt us in the eyes of voters. Throw in the 2003 experience, and it's possible that a one-loss SEC team jumps us. We were a one-loss team (KSt Big 12 champ. game) and we held our ground in BCS.

Again, it's very early; it's just a little more of me worries every time one of the big 12 teams looks bad. And that's happened a lot this season so far.

mdklatt
9/16/2007, 12:50 PM
I can imagine a circumstance where UF jumps us in polls by beating LSU, then LSU swaps places with them in polls for beating them in SEC champ. game.

Maybe in the Coach's Poll, but probably not in the computer polls. The computer polls are our friend. And if they aren't, I still trust them more than the human polls.

Jacie
9/16/2007, 01:00 PM
Conspiracy theorists take note.

Fact #1: The whorns have played rather poorly versus nonconference patsies.

Fact #2: The upsurge of Oklahoma's stock amongst the pollsters with the emergence of Sam Bradford, the qb position being the only reason preseason prognosticians gave the nod for the Big XII South to saxet in the first place.

Conspiracy Theory: The whorns hate Oklahoma so much, the coaching staff of Mack Brown, Greg Davis, Duane Akina et al have deliberately played down to the level of the competion in order to short circuit a Sooner run for the championship by crippling OUr strength of schedule.

OKC-SLC
9/16/2007, 01:07 PM
Maybe in the Coach's Poll, but probably not in the computer polls. The computer polls are our friend. And if they aren't, I still trust them more than the human polls.
I think you're right; computer polls will be able to separate one- and no-loss teams. Our SOS could become a factor in the eyes of the computers.

One thing is for sure--there will be a handful of one-loss teams this year (LSU or UF I think, ?Oregon, ?WVU, ?PennSt). We can't afford to be one of them.

SoonerBOI
9/16/2007, 01:22 PM
let the season play out and we'll see. if we ever go to the NC game or BCS bid, that my friends is a must win situation for us...

StoopTroup
9/16/2007, 01:24 PM
If we hang 100 on tejas...

Would we take the number one spot?

Answer: No, tejas sucks.

Suerreal
9/16/2007, 01:29 PM
Interesting comparison for next week:
Total Offense
3. Oklahoma
4. Tulsa

Total Defense
2. Oklahoma
108. Tulsa

Scotty
9/16/2007, 01:56 PM
Just win.

journeyman
9/16/2007, 03:02 PM
Notre Dame dead last in offense. Beautiful.

SoonerDood
9/16/2007, 05:20 PM
World's Greatest Offense: #61

Texas Golfer
9/16/2007, 08:12 PM
Notre Dame dead last in offense. Beautiful.

For the season, Notre Dame has -14 rushing yards in their 3 games. Wow!

MiccoMacey
9/16/2007, 08:27 PM
Rush Offense -#13 - 241 ypg
Pass Offense - #13 - 324 ypg
Total Offense - #3 - 565 ypg
Scoring Offense - #1 - 61 ppg

Rush Defense - #5 - 44 ypg
Pass Defense - #14 - 135 ypg
Total Defense - #2 - 179 ypg
Scoring Defense - #6 - 8 ppg

Others of note:

Pass Efficiency Rating - #3 - 210 PER (higher PER = better)
Passing Efficiency Defense - #9 - 88 PER (lower PER = better)

fossil
9/16/2007, 08:35 PM
Hmmmmm.Colt McCoy #65.

GottaHavePride
9/16/2007, 08:44 PM
Conspiracy theorists take note.

Fact #1: The whorns have played rather poorly versus nonconference patsies.

Fact #2: The upsurge of Oklahoma's stock amongst the pollsters with the emergence of Sam Bradford, the qb position being the only reason preseason prognosticians gave the nod for the Big XII South to saxet in the first place.

Conspiracy Theory: The whorns hate Oklahoma so much, the coaching staff of Mack Brown, Greg Davis, Duane Akina et al have deliberately played down to the level of the competion in order to short circuit a Sooner run for the championship by crippling OUr strength of schedule.

Um, they may have looked like week-old, warmed-over ***, but they still won their games. I think the SOS calculations are based totally on W/L records, not margin of victory. OUR margin of victory might factor in at some point, but I don't think Texas's is much of a factor.

MiccoMacey
9/16/2007, 09:05 PM
GHP is right. The human polls account for the "Wow they beat the crap out of that team" factor.

The SOS only counts W's and L's.

I'm not too surprised the AP dropped us to number four. Florida dismantled a tougher opponent than we did. Right now, the polls should and will fluctuate more than by the end of the season (not counting when a team loses).

UTisLousy
9/16/2007, 09:55 PM
The only thing we need is for either USC or LSU to lose period. That's all it's going to take if we keep winning.