PDA

View Full Version : Will OUr Super Frosh scare off OUr 2008 committments?

stoopified
9/16/2007, 10:16 AM
I'm looking at Bradford's awesome season in the making,along with that of Murray and I wonder will Landry and Johnson still come here?I'm not trying to negative but it occurs to me ,WOULD I want to go where there are stud frosh and sophs already in place?I know Bob and staff rcruit winners and competitors ,but I can't help wondering.IMHO It doesn't really matter in the long run,because we will win with or without them.

This weekend was a prime example of OU losing very good players and we still go on with very good players.Look at Choice(GT),Millington(Ill),Grady(Utah).They all are doing well at their new schools and yet we are on a roll.

OUr team is so good,so deep,and at many positions so young,that I can't help wondering if that effects this years recruits.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/16/2007, 10:32 AM
Landry will redshirt his first year, getting a gap in years between him and Nichols/Bradford, but I believe Johnson is a guy that could see some PT his first year on campus.

StoopTroup
9/16/2007, 10:43 AM
Even if it does happen...

I'd trade any player for MNC 8,9,10 and 11.

Scott D
9/16/2007, 11:26 AM
I'm looking at Bradford's awesome season in the making, along with that of Murray and I wonder will Landry and Johnson still come here? I'm not trying to negative but it occurs to me , WOULD I want to go where there are stud frosh and sophs already in place? I know Bob and staff rcruit winners and competitors , but I can't help wondering.IMHO It doesn't really matter in the long run,because we will win with or without them.

This weekend was a prime example of OU losing very good players and we still go on with very good players. Look at Choice(GT), Millington(Ill), Grady(Utah). They all are doing well at their new schools and yet we are on a roll.

OUr team is so good,so deep,and at many positions so young,that I can't help wondering if that effects this years recruits.

You need to look at why players left as well.
Choice - Sickish Mother, went back to GA to be closer to her.
Millington - Word was he was homesick for Ill.
Grady - Academic issues dropped him behind PT and "Golden Boy" so he went somewhere he felt there'd be less competition. (sidenote: He's only the starter there because the starter is injured. He was a backup last year also.)

usmc-sooner
9/16/2007, 11:30 AM
when Jermie Calhoun,gets here next year he might possibly be the 2nd best or best back we have. Murray is a great homerun threat but he needs to learn to hit those inside holes the way Patrick does.

Other than that I'm not worried about who we get or don't get next year. We'll be alright. Personally as long as we get the the stud OL and DL were going to do just fine.

Blues1
9/16/2007, 11:45 AM
IF our 2nd stringers keep getting better...?? - We are kinda getting Back to the 50's when Bud had First team A - First Team B - There a plus's and minus's --You might lose some recruits - But It did gets us a 47 game Win Streak...!!!

birddog
9/16/2007, 11:55 AM
i don't think it will be an issue. kw and bv have shown that they will get alot of people into the game. we rotate in ALOT and i think it's a more attractive situation to recruits. they see that they can play in any game without being "the man".

we've got to have depth, and it's nice to know we'll use it every game instead of waiting for injuries.

Rhino
9/16/2007, 12:06 PM
Landry has already said that he doesn't mind redshirting and preparing to start around his RS-Sophomore year. Don't worry about him.

We lose Patrick and Gute to graduation. We'll have Brown, Murray & Madu to add Calhoun to. We've mixed in all those guys really well this year, so that helps.

Johnson could end up playing a different position -- just depends.

DrZaius
9/16/2007, 12:15 PM
I am still waiting for Murray to break some tackles......He needs a little more power to his running before RB recruits should have to worry about anything....

OKC-SLC
9/16/2007, 12:21 PM
Good problem to have.

It sure is nice to think about what Bradford could be like starting as a senior--

in 2010!!!11!!!

Frozen Sooner
9/16/2007, 12:23 PM
That's the kind of thing that OSU fans need to worry about when they have good freshman players. Kids commit to OU expecting that there's going to be good players already there.

As already stated, Jones expected to redshirt to begin with.

Johnson...most people project him as a LB at OU.

OU is just now recovering from the debacle that was the 2002/3 recruiting class and it's a good thing that we've got so much depth that we won't need to start a bunch of freshmen.

OKC-SLC
9/16/2007, 12:44 PM
OU is just now recovering from the debacle that was the 2002/3 recruiting class
Exactly.

SoonerBOI
9/16/2007, 01:26 PM
i am starting to feel old:(

goingoneight
9/16/2007, 04:59 PM
With guys like Kelly, AP, and Finley looking as good as they are versus when they arrived... it's very attractive to young recruits to think that they could be "the next Malcom Kelly" or "the next Mark Clayton." They want to play for championships, play on TV, etc... but most importantly, they want to get better. Usually the red flags are the kids like Bomar... the ones who have had their asses kissed. 4-year starters, so many "stars" everyone wants them, etc.

There might be one or two kids who second guess their committment... but Stoops is the first to point out to these kids that you don't just start right away. 2005 was a result of a bad 2003 recruiting class collapsing underneath us.

AlbqSooner
9/16/2007, 06:25 PM
Landry Jones said in an interview after the UNT game that he is committed to OU; he will be graduating in December and enrolling for the spring at OU; and he is going in with the goal of starting in '08.

tulsaoilerfan
9/16/2007, 06:47 PM
That's the kind of thing that OSU fans need to worry about when they have good freshman players. Kids commit to OU expecting that there's going to be good players already there.

OU is just now recovering from the debacle that was the 2002/3 recruiting class and it's a good thing that we've got so much depth that we won't need to start a bunch of freshmen.
Great minds think alike Mike, i made the same comment to my wife last week about those 2 seasons and how bad all the defections from those classes really screwed the Sooners the last 2 seasons.

Crucifax Autumn
9/17/2007, 01:20 AM
I think Bradford's too busy scaring our opponents to scare our recruits!

PLaw
9/17/2007, 08:30 AM
No issue, period. Great players want to go where other great players go - they want to win. Listen to how Slick Pete puts it: "Come to SUC and if you can play here, then you know you are the best."

BOOMER
PLaw

r5TPsooner
9/17/2007, 09:05 AM
If the recruits want a starting job handed to them like most UT recruits then maybe. But if they like competition on a daily basis, then NO.

whitehelmutsagain
9/17/2007, 09:52 AM

this is in fact exatly correct. u.s.c. has at one point this season recruited what?? 9 five star runningbacks. top players want to compete, win and remain uninjured if they can. oh!! and go high in the pro draft. OU looks powerful so far 2007.