PDA

View Full Version : Where does Mike Stoops end up?

batonrougesooner
9/16/2007, 06:56 AM
It's pretty obvious he's on the hot seat and may very well lose his job after this season. I wonder where he ends up.

One interesting thought would be him joining Leach at Tech to teach them how to play defense.

swardboy
9/16/2007, 07:28 AM
After the year I'm anticipating OU having, our assistants will once again be among the hottest head coaching candidates on the planet....that said, would it be so bad for Mike to come back to Norman if Venables gets/accepts a call?

soonergooner
9/16/2007, 07:56 AM
I would be glad to welcome him. I don't believe he would help Leach defeat his bro.

PLaw
9/16/2007, 09:04 AM
I would be glad to welcome him. I don't believe he would help Leach defeat his bro.

Agreed. I think he lands back in Norman as co-DC.

BOOMER
PLaw

snp
9/16/2007, 09:07 AM
No chance he'll be co-DC. only way he comes back is if BV gets a HC job somewhere.

batonrougesooner
9/16/2007, 09:08 AM
I just don't see him coming back to Norman. Not that I wouldn't welcome him. It's just really difficult to go back in general, especially after failing at a higher level.

Ash
9/16/2007, 09:12 AM
Wouldn't suprise me if he at least gets a sniff at the next level as a coordinator.

soonersam
9/16/2007, 10:10 AM
ND??? That would be a step down at this point!!

rhombic21
9/16/2007, 10:18 AM
I think he'll probably end up as a DC with a team that doesn't play OU regularly. I can't see him coming to the Big 12 and playing against Bob every year. I think he'd come back to OU in a heartbeat if Brent got a head job somewhere, but I don't know what the likelihood of that is. I don't know of any really good jobs that look to be coming open, where Brent would be a serious candidate. And Brent seems to have established that he's happy staying at OU until good job comes open.

The_Red_Patriot
9/16/2007, 11:06 AM
Mike will never come back.

Period

StoopTroup
9/16/2007, 11:12 AM
Iowa might be looking for a Coach after yesterday.

Flagstaffsooner
9/16/2007, 12:00 PM
You'll love the cats replacement list.
http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=68460

Appalachian State - Jerry Moore
Cincinnati - Brian Kelly
Rutgers - Greg Schiano
Florida Atlantic - Howard ***************
Hawaii -June Jones

Blues1
9/16/2007, 12:44 PM
Taking the Arizona Job was a Mistake in the First Place - Same thing with Long going to SD State (Though I'm Glad Chuck went :) - They both took Jobs at schools that were almost impossible to fix - Especially Now that most all College Fans want instant success..I think in both case's their ego's over looked reaility...JMHO....Still R'

bluedogok
9/16/2007, 12:51 PM
I was suprised that he went to a school like Arizona, they has forever been a mid-level Pac 10 team with an occasional good year. Both UofA and ASU are teams that should be good programs but for some reason have never been anything more than mediocre. I guess they can't get the good California players to come to the desert.

kevpks
9/16/2007, 01:04 PM
That would be great if they hired Howard. Why not just set the program back a decade?

Blues1
9/16/2007, 01:05 PM
I was suprised that he went to a school like Arizona, they has forever been a mid-level Pac 10 team with an occasional good year. Both UofA and ASU are teams that should be good programs but for some reason have never been anything more than mediocre. I guess they can't get the good California players to come to the desert.

Hey Mom & Dad --- I'm leaving Orange County - San Diego County - etc (average yearly 74 temp degrees) ---- to go to Arizona where I can Play Football in 120 Degree heat...... :D

You better be winning National Championships before that ever happens...;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/16/2007, 03:19 PM
I was suprised that he went to a school like Arizona, they has forever been a mid-level Pac 10 team with an occasional good year. Both UofA and ASU are teams that should be good programs but for some reason have never been anything more than mediocre. I guess they can't get the good California players to come to the desert.You're getting warm...VERY warm. It's not just that it's desert, but that it's generally over 100 degrees at gametime for the FIRST 8 GAMES of the season.
IMO it's why mike Stoops had better luck recruiting out-of-state kids from Tx than he did from CA.

85Sooner
9/16/2007, 04:30 PM

Were thinking alike there.

CtheB
9/16/2007, 04:34 PM
I can see a situation where he comes back as Executive Head Coach (see d'Amato at FSU) and takes over defensive backs, moving BJW up to the administrative level.

That's just a dream, possible, but mostly just dream.

goingoneight
9/16/2007, 04:45 PM
He doesn't seem to have it together as a HC. Sorry, his team just looks bad. Like... OSU bad. Some guys just don't cut it as head coaches. It's a much different ballgame going from right-hand man to CEO.

aurorasooner
9/16/2007, 05:06 PM
I think they give him another year. I would think they've had to guarantee Sonny Dykes and Bednebaugh something to jump ship from tech and Mike's put together what appears to be a quality coaching/recruiting staff. Dykes, Bedenbaugh, Dimel, Darrel Wyatt, Mark Stoops. With Willie only being a Junior, and his first year in this Tech style offense, it would be a mistake for AZ to can him this year, and start all over again. Next year will be the break-it year. However, AZ losing to N.Mexico would be about like us losing to Kansas. I'm surprised Mike took the Az job as well, but not as surprising as Chizek to Iowa State.