PDA

View Full Version : Are we collectively avoiding the fact that Texas...

Soonerus
9/16/2007, 01:00 AM
...should have lost today to Central Florida...they were outplayed....

sanantoniosooner
9/16/2007, 01:05 AM
they could still win the Big X

OK2LA
9/16/2007, 01:05 AM
...should have lost today to Central Florida...they were outplayed....

I'm not avoiding it, and you can't prove it if I was

Soonerus
9/16/2007, 01:10 AM
My suggestion to all Sooners is to not under-estimate Texas this year or any year they are always capable of beating OU....remember I am an avid OU fan...

OK2LA
9/16/2007, 01:24 AM
My suggestion to all Sooners is to not under-estimate Texas this year or any year they are always capable of beating OU....remember I am an avid OU fan...

Soonerus is right -

When we as fans under-estimate texas - that has been proven to have a direct coorelation to the score of the game.

Soonerus
9/16/2007, 01:26 AM
Use it as you please, I hope it makes it to the players...

leematthews
9/16/2007, 01:28 AM
I doubt that we won't show up against Texas. Seems like they can't stop the run and their offense hasn't been exactly clicking.

We should be double digit favorites, and well I'll probably feel pretty safe on betting on us against the spread.

Piware
9/16/2007, 01:41 AM
Soonerus is right -

When we as fans under-estimate texas - that has been proven to have a direct coorelation to the score of the game.

Soonerus hit the nail on the head. They have improved some but wierd things happen in this game - like a Gibbs coached team beating Tejas. We owe Mack and the boys 2 butt kickings and I really hope we give them the first one on 10/6 and for next 4 consecutive years just to even things up.

Soonerus
9/16/2007, 01:44 AM
Do not mis-understand me we will beat Texas this year !!!

Octavian
9/16/2007, 01:52 AM
It's the Red River War. In Dallas. In the Cotton Bowl.

Texas is more than capable of beating our *** if we don't play our best. You all know this.

soonergooner
9/16/2007, 08:26 AM
Tho rus is absolutely correct, we fans have to get the playbook. There is no other game now cept fri nite w/tulsa. No need to add to this seasons upset trend....

OklaUalum
9/16/2007, 08:35 AM
Russ, You're absolutley correct. Kinda put this on another thread. But, it's the old cliche -"we'll beat ourselves". Last year we played wrecklessly and it cost us the Red River game.

We've got to play 4 quarters of solid football. I think a big key to this year's game with Texas is to jump out BIG on them in the first half like everyone else has. Completely take them out of their game plan.

Again, we just need to focus on sold football from here on out. For every opponent. Last few years of Stoop's tenure we've lost a game we shouldn't have (Texas Tech, etc come to mind). We just don't need to take any naps.

MiccoMacey
9/16/2007, 08:48 AM
One of the things I'm comforted by is the fact that the people responsible for 4 of the 5 turnovers are gone.

I like our chances, but I'll say this: if it is a close game, Texas has a small advantage so far. They've played through adversity. It doesn't matter if they should have blown out ASU and UCF...they've been in a dog fight and didn't quit. We haven't done that yet. We can only surmise this team will rise up, but we've never been behind, never been seriously threatened, never played a road game this year. Texas has, and fought through and won (regardless of quality of opponent).

But I do like our chances more and more. How we handle Tulsa will help make me feel even better if we continue to play and execute well.

snp
9/16/2007, 09:00 AM

Why does it matter what us fans think of Texas? I never understand people thinking that having a cocky attitude is detrimental to the team's performance. It's pretty dumb.

PLaw
9/16/2007, 09:00 AM

Bingo! We haven't and won't play anybody with the talent of texass - Miami was way, way overrated. McCoy is playing better and they will continue to improve towards the RRS.

We are playing well at the moment (almost too good) and we should all be worried about a let down and loss of focus. You don't want to start a "slump" the week before the RRS.

BOOMER
PLaw

The Maestro
9/16/2007, 10:59 AM
Well, cockiness of fans aside, the key issue EVERYTIME we play Texas is how well they can or cannot run the ball. I've watched Charles and this o-line...and Texas will be lucky to have 50 yards rushing on us. That's not good for them and what they will need to do. If crushing penalties and turnovers are not an issue for us, we will force them into 3rd and long and then start attacking the Colt. They know, we know it, fans of both teams know it.

On the other side of the ball, we have punishing runners and the best fourth team running back in college football history...named Moses! The way AP, DM, CB and MM are running is a thing of beauty...and sets up our real strength, which is scary--the passing game with Sam, MK and JI, the tight ends, etc.

Since I have no effect on the outcome of the game I will give you OU -20 to anyone who wants some of that action against Texas. That won't change cause I have seen enough of both teams to know that we have the advantage on both sides of the ball and definitely on the line play. And once we get them down they will lose what little spirit they have and cave in. I think it will get ugly...unless turnovers keep it close, but I think we will take care of the ball.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/16/2007, 11:03 AM
Well, cockiness of fans aside, the key issue EVERYTIME we play Texas is how well they can or cannot run the ball. I've watched Charles and this o-line...and Texas will be lucky to have 50 yards rushing on us. That's not good for them and what they will need to do. If crushing penalties and turnovers are not an issue for us, we will force them into 3rd and long and then start attacking the Colt. They know, we know it, fans of both teams know it.

On the other side of the ball, we have punishing runners and the best fourth team running back in college football history...named Moses! The way AP, DM, CB and MM are running is a thing of beauty...and sets up our real strength, which is scary--the passing game with Sam, MK and JI, the tight ends, etc.

Since I have no effect on the outcome of the game I will give you OU -20 to anyone who wants some of that action against Texas. That won't change cause I have seen enough of both teams to know that we have the advantage on both sides of the ball and definitely on the line play. And once we get them down they will lose what little spirit they have and cave in. I think it will get ugly...unless turnovers keep it close, but I think we will take care of the ball.

Harumph Harumph!

StoopTroup
9/16/2007, 11:04 AM
When the Sooner Defense shuts down TU this week...

Colt McCoy better figure something out with his "Big Guns :rolleyes: " IMO...

Aries
9/16/2007, 03:32 PM
The Texas game always stands on its own... no matter what either team has done up to that point, it can produce surprises. We need to play well... turnovers (as always) are key, and we can't afford them.

But here's what I noticed in the part of the Texas game that I watched yesterday.

They look vulnerable covering kickoffs. If they cover KO's against us like they did against UCF, we should be able to start a lot of drives beyond the 30 yard line, maybe close to mid-field.

They looked vulnerable against the run. We should be able to have enough success there to open up the passing game, and we might not even need to pass much.

UCF got a lot of pressure on McCoy, but failed to tackle him. If their DL could get that much pressure, ours should be a nightmare for him. But we *MUST* get him down when we get there, when he gets away he hurts you.

Texas has started slow a couple of games, and taken over in the second half. We have started fast, and we need to jump on them early and take them out of their game plan. If we can get a lead and MAKE them pass in the second half, we can make if very difficult on McCoy.

SoonerEmpire
9/16/2007, 03:40 PM
Nope. Not avoiding that fact here. You're 100% correct. Texass should have lost. I'm not naive enough to think that texass can't beat us, because this is the greatest rivalry in college football, and when these two teams meet, schedules and rankings don't matter much.

However, I firmly believe that come October 6th, they WILL lose to OU, and they WILL get outplayed. Just like they SHOULD have lost and DID get outplayed yesterday.

OK2LA
9/16/2007, 03:47 PM
Do not mis-understand me we will beat Texas this year !!!

So what you're saying is - that we as fans can be confident; but we must be cautiously optimistic about it, and only if we are humble in expressing it on the board?

goingoneight
9/16/2007, 03:51 PM
I think Texas has been playing as expected given their circumstances. They're a very young team that doesn't spell championship-caliber, yet. Colt McCoy is the only thing that Texas has who worries me. OUr defense has been guilty of letting the big play happen for about four years now. I'll grant you that this BV defense looks very fundamentally solid (best tackling team I've seen since 2003, which I like tackling better than big hitting) and seems to be very athletic.
McCoy isn't Heisman or All-Pro, obviously. But he is a play-maker. The kid always seems to find a way to make things happen. Remember Jared Zabransky? I like this year's matchup a lot better than last year's given the improved defensive effort and overall execution on offense is better and yes, Texas seems to have gotten a bit worse.

I think OU jumps out to a big lead in the 1st and Texas gets back into the game late. OU will have better depth and overall playmakers to hold the lead. Something like 35-24, OU.

MRNOTDUCKS
9/16/2007, 05:11 PM
I think you hang 40-plus on them and hold them to maybe one score. the tu defense is really weak, and I think Bradford picks them apart. Your defense will be able to keep constant pressure on McCoy, and I doubt he makes it the whole game. He's got a track record of leaving games early with injuries. ;-)

dismantle them and have fun

utex74
9/16/2007, 09:13 PM
I doubt that we won't show up against Texas. Seems like they can't stop the run and their offense hasn't been exactly clicking.

We should be double digit favorites, and well I'll probably feel pretty safe on betting on us against the spread.

You will be double digit favorites and if the game was now you would easily cover. Texas has played so poorly and made so many mistakes that my hopes hang on there being plenty of mistakes to correct before October 6. Whether they get fixed is anyone's guess.

On top of the poor play, we are being decimated with injuries. Right OT injured and the sophomore RG had to play four different OL positions against TCU just to give relief. Entire second unit are freshmen. Starting DE out with a knee replaced with a RS Freshman. LB's are slow. Receivers dinged. Secondary is playing much better but the best players are probably the freshmen who are the backups.

A lot of mistakes to fix and a lot of growing up to do in two games and three weeks.

MissouriSooner
9/16/2007, 09:25 PM
It's the Red River War. In Dallas. In the Cotton Bowl.

Texas is more than capable of beating our *** if we don't play our best. You all know this.

Too true. From long, sad experience, we know this. Kinda like beating the aggies often turns out to be a lot tougher than it looks on paper.

Cam
9/16/2007, 09:45 PM
Don't they get a few guys back this week from suspension?

Crucifax Autumn
9/16/2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah, but I'm sure there's a line forming to replace them. No shortage of team rule violations there.

utex74
9/16/2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah, but I'm sure there's a line forming to replace them. No shortage of team rule violations there.

On the bright side, this year's Travis County Sheriffs vs Crooks football game will be a blowout.

(borrowed that from a thread on hornfans)

utex74
9/16/2007, 10:44 PM
Don't they get a few guys back this week from suspension?

Kindle, Pittman and Melton return.

sooneron
9/16/2007, 10:46 PM
I believe that history has proven that the team playing better BEFORE the RRSO doesn't always win.

Crucifax Autumn
9/16/2007, 10:55 PM
On the bright side, this year's Travis County Sheriffs vs Crooks football game will be a blowout.

Borrowed or not, THAT is hilarious!

soonerloyal
9/16/2007, 10:57 PM
True. But RRS history has also proven that the team playing worse BEFORE, often loses.

In no other CFB rivalry does the term "On Any Given Gameday" ring more true.

Jeronimo
9/16/2007, 10:59 PM
I dont care how good we look and how bad they look. I'm always nervous before RRS.

arlington
9/16/2007, 11:40 PM
As confident as i am about October, i cant get overconfident against UT with some of the weapons they have. The only way they beat us is if Colt is on and Limas and Pittman are both back, healthy and productive. But that CAN happen, its not out of the realm of possibility. Plus if anything they have an advantage over us in that if the game is close, they have been more battle tested this year than we have and in a 1 game deal, that always favors the crappy team that has been in a 4 quarter fight all season.

Crucifax Autumn
9/16/2007, 11:47 PM
Well, the good thing is we'll most likely put it away early and never let up.

Leroy Lizard
9/17/2007, 12:35 AM
Overconfidence is bad karma. We used to call it "angering the woof gods" on the old usenet. Remember what everyone was saying before last year's bowl game?

Crucifax Autumn
9/17/2007, 01:12 AM
Yep...But I still don't wanna sound like one of the doomsayer fans that could watch us win the BCS championship and still be complaining about how we didn't win by enough or how Bradford shoulda had one more TD pass or "Yeah, we won by 45 points, but it woulda been 48 if not for that crappy 55 yard missed field goal."

sanantoniosooner
9/17/2007, 06:16 AM
There is a significant different between being cautiously optimistic and being a doomsayer.

Why is it people think that only the extreme attitudes exist?

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/17/2007, 06:25 AM
The good news is that Dolemite is Malcolm Kelly so this should reach the team

Animal Mother
9/17/2007, 10:21 AM
As confident as i am about October, i cant get overconfident against UT with some of the weapons they have. The only way they beat us is if Colt is on and Limas and Pittman are both back, healthy and productive. But that CAN happen, its not out of the realm of possibility. Plus if anything they have an advantage over us in that if the game is close, they have been more battle tested this year than we have and in a 1 game deal, that always favors the crappy team that has been in a 4 quarter fight all season.

Some call it battle tested, I call it playing like sh*t. However, that could be interpreted by some to be a case of “playing down to your opponent’s level”. 1996 anyone? Bueller?

The Maestro
9/17/2007, 10:29 AM
I tell you who Texas misses a bunch. Lyle Sendlein. The undrafted rookie is now starting for the AZ Cardinals and played awesome after starting center Al Johnson went out with an injury. Just the way Sendlein is playing shows me that the Texas Oline was very special the last few years...and will take time to rebuild and replace, especially with an average back carrying the ball these days.

SouthFortySooner
9/17/2007, 11:38 AM
If predicting a blowout is bad karma. Why is it those that do and it happens come back here to crow the loudest?

sanantoniosooner
9/17/2007, 12:12 PM
If predicting a blowout is bad karma. Why is it those that do and it happens come back here to crow the loudest?
because you want everyone to know when you are finally right about something.

SoonerJLB
9/17/2007, 12:37 PM

That is the way I think and the approach I always take for the RRR game.

CtheB
9/17/2007, 01:06 PM
To the public, I think that it is still OU-Texas and the better team does not always win. We should respect our opponent and understand that 100% focus is always needed to leave the Cotton Bowl with a W. It is never a game taken for granted.

Internally, if things don't change, we probably show up and BEAT THAT A$$ severely.

OK2LA
9/17/2007, 01:25 PM
Internationally, if things don't change, we probably show up and BEAT THAT A$$ severely.

fixed

utex74
9/17/2007, 09:51 PM
I tell you who Texas misses a bunch. Lyle Sendlein. The undrafted rookie is now starting for the AZ Cardinals and played awesome after starting center Al Johnson went out with an injury. Just the way Sendlein is playing shows me that the Texas Oline was very special the last few years...and will take time to rebuild and replace, especially with an average back carrying the ball these days.

Amen to that, Sooner. especially when our sophomore RG had to play RG, RT, C and LG against TCU just to provide a rotation. He just ran into the huddle and looked to see who was missing and lined up there. Hell of a job, actually.

OUinFLA
9/17/2007, 09:56 PM
Amen to that, Sooner. especially when our sophomore RG had to play RG, RT, C and LG against TCU just to provide a rotation. He just ran into the huddle and looked to see who was missing and lined up there. Hell of a job, actually.

KSU could have used a guy like that.
Especially if he could punt the ball.

Indy Sooner
9/17/2007, 11:37 PM
they could still win the Big X

Although they couldn't win the SWC with this year's squad.

Crucifax Autumn
9/18/2007, 12:58 AM
As I said in another post...the bragging and smack talk is part of the fun and only the retarded macho people take it all that seriously. OU and Texass like to talk **** about each other, predict blowouts, make ridiculous claims, etc.

But the reality is they don't know, we don't know and the media doesn't know, but it's a blast enjoying the rivalry to its fullest and doing crap like predicting 68-3, ****ing off the other guy, and enjoying cold beer with the other side after the game...assuming it's not the macho a-holes I mentioned previously. This is college football and we're talking about the game that in all our minds defines what college football is, so lets all have fun...make ourageous predictions, talk ridiculous smack, and most of all remember it's just part of the fun and has no bearing whatsoever on what actually happens on the field.

Crucifax Autumn
9/18/2007, 01:12 AM
And speaking of good fun:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/ulijon/Bevo.jpg

stoopified
9/18/2007, 10:44 AM

Since I have no effect on the outcome of the game I will give you OU -20 to anyone who wants some of that action against Texas. That won't change cause I have seen enough of both teams to know that we have the advantage on both sides of the ball and definitely on the line play. And once we get them down they will lose what little spirit they have and cave in. I think it will get ugly...unless turnovers keep it close, but I think we will take care of the ball.With the exception of mispelling Madu's first name(it is Mosis) you are absolutely correct.