PDA

View Full Version : Three Teams...

Soonerus
9/15/2007, 11:50 PM
...OU, LSU, and USC....and the rest....I do not know who is best...

hink4769
9/15/2007, 11:52 PM
i would put florida up there too although their defense is still suspect tebows got that offense rolling. btw lsu-florida is scheduled for 8:00 on 10/6 so it shouldn't interfere with the RRS.

Soonerus
9/15/2007, 11:55 PM
I am just saying overall talent 3 teams stand out...and then there is the rest...

bluedogok
9/16/2007, 12:00 AM
....and if it comes down to those three, OU will be left out of the MNC game. Mainly because of what happened between the three a few years ago. It doesn't matter what the SOS should be, the voters will make sure it is SUC and LSU in the title game.

sanantoniosooner
9/16/2007, 12:01 AM
I am just saying overall talent 3 teams stand out...and then there is the rest...
And he's just saying that 4 teams stand out.

It's called disagreeing. Didn't you major in that?

Soonerus
9/16/2007, 12:03 AM
Despite the fact they stand out I also think USC and LSU will lose a game this year...

CORNholio
9/16/2007, 12:04 AM
Penn State also quietly rolling. Still alot to be unveiled about alot of teams but i agree about the top 3 thus far. Lots could change at any time though.

MiccoMacey
9/16/2007, 12:05 AM
I'll disagree a little more.

I think it's two teams, and then the rest.

LSU and USC are the best two teams. I think we're third or fourth (either OU or FLorida) then WVU.

MiccoMacey
9/16/2007, 12:06 AM
And don't forget about Kansas. They're still undefeated as well.

:D

sanantoniosooner
9/16/2007, 12:06 AM
I actually think it's 25 teams........and then the rest.

Soonerus
9/16/2007, 12:07 AM
I'll disagree a little more.

I think it's two teams, and then the rest.

LSU and USC are the best two teams. I think we're third or fourth (either OU or FLorida) then WVU.

I would not debate that, I think LSU and USC are loaded...

Zing
9/16/2007, 12:51 AM
I actually think it's 25 teams........and then the rest.

Well, actually, it's 119 teams, then the rest.

Soonerus
9/16/2007, 12:53 AM
Well, actually, it's 119 teams, then the rest.

You got it right...

sanantoniosooner
9/16/2007, 12:54 AM
You got it right...
118 teams........and then ND.

Soonerus
9/16/2007, 12:54 AM
118 teams........and then ND.

You got it even better....

Rhino
9/16/2007, 01:19 AM
It's the big five (LSU, USC, OU, UF, WVU), then a big dropoff.

UF & WVU's defenses aren't good. The other three are pretty solid.

Soonerus
9/16/2007, 01:21 AM
I am sticking with the Big 3....

soonerloyal
9/16/2007, 08:49 AM
What I'm afraid of happening is that the Top Four will go undefeated and we'll be playing in the Fiesta Bowl against Florida, and SUC and LesU will be in the Big One.

May Gawd strike me down rather than jinx us...

Ehhh, well...I'll enjoy the hella out of the season, regardless.

MiccoMacey
9/16/2007, 08:52 AM
People are forgetting about Cal. And Oregon.

They may not be top five, but they have the ability to beat any of the top five.

JohnnyMack
9/16/2007, 08:54 AM
I think either SUC or LSU would beat us by 14+ right now.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/16/2007, 08:57 AM
What I'm afraid of happening is that the Top Four will go undefeated and we'll be playing in the Fiesta Bowl against Florida, and SUC and LesU will be in the Big One.

All undefeated? Wow... that would be miraculous. I'd like to see that happen!

IronHorseSooner
9/16/2007, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerloyal

All undefeated? Wow... that would be miraculous. I'd like to see that happen!

Since LSU and FLA have to play each other twice! Like I have said, SUC will lose to either CAL or UO. SUC has problems with teams that run multiple sets/ spread offenses (UCLA and Oregon St. last year) and with athletic QBs. I am not worried.

The Maestro
9/16/2007, 11:48 AM

Wow. Cloudy in your world? I can see why you aren't high on us. The glaring weaknesses are obvious...We are only solid at running, passing, blocking, tackling, run defense, pass defense and our kicker can hit it from 60 yards out.

Yes, the jury is still out on us, but to me, so is it on the other teams. Florida should be considered for me, too. Tim Tebow has to be the Heisman leader at this point...he can run and throw. Tough offense to defense.

LSU's win over Virginia Tech is still up for debate. Hell, VaTech struggled with Ohio yesterday. At home. VaTech may not be any better than Miami.

USC's defense gave up a lot of yards yesterday...Nebraska's loss of their front 7 was just too much last night. And John David Booty still does not do a whole lot for me. Florida and Cal can compete with any of these teams.

But no way you should think USC or LSU is 14 points better than OU. Feel free to disagree, but I would love to know your reasoning.

soonerloyal
9/16/2007, 12:05 PM
I don't think the top four will likely go undefeated. I said I'm afraid of it happening. I'd prefer seeing SUC and LesU losing a game or two, and OU meeting the Gators in the Shugah for the crystal.

It'd make our house with all the OU gameday decorations a target, down here in FL. But I'll take a piece of that action gladly. My Marines aren't the only ones in the family with Expert aim...

Here's to hoping that second scenario comes true...and we celebrate #8. Works for me!

KC//CRIMSON
9/16/2007, 12:24 PM

Ditto. I'm not so sure our D could hang with them and Sam would have to have a stellar passing game to keep it close.

SoonerEmpire
9/16/2007, 12:26 PM
Everyone on the planet seems to be talking about there being 3 teams that stand out above the rest. While I agree that SUC, LoSUr, and OU do indeed stand out above the rest (and possibly even Florida), I'm not sure I buy into the idea that the NC game will end up being SUC v LoSUr, or SUC v OU, or LoSUr v OU.

I would love a revenge NC game against SUC and/or LoSUr, but I'm not too sure it will happen. Aside from that, I would LOVE to rematch LoSUr, but ONLY if it weren't being played in New Orleans. Too much of a home advantage for them. Don't know if any of you remember how rabid and insane those LoSUr fans were, but they were crazy in that game! I definitely think that SUC is beatable, and I *DO* think they will be beaten this year. As much as I hate to admit it, the Pac-10 is a strong conference this year. I believe the penis protectors will end up getting burned with too much "friction", so to speak, and the rubber's going to break at some point in the season.

The SEC is a different kind of animal altogether. I don't think ANY team in the SEC is safe and/or exempt from the potential of losses this year. As good as they've been thus far, I don't see LoSUr getting through their schedule unscathed. As far as I'm concerned, if we beat texass in the cotton bowl, we've got an easier path to an undefeated season than the rest of the other 3 contenders. While SOS may hurt us, it won't be a killer for us, if at least two of the other three teams have losses when compared to an undefeated season for OU - EVEN IF the competition we played was weak compared to losses in the schedules of the other three teams. Undefeated is undefeated no matter how you look at it! The only way, in my mind, that SOS will hurt us is if there are more than two undefeated teams by seasons end.

Because of this, I think OU has the best chance to make it to the NC game than the other three teams. When SUC loses, when LoSUr and/or Florida loses, I believe OU will eventually be positioned in a #1 ranking while the other three teams are fighting over #2. Everyone talks about this season being eerily similar to 2003, but to me, it kind of feels like it could EVENTUALLY play out to being similar to 2000.

If we beat texass, don't be too surprised if, by the end of the season, it's OU v Florida in the NC. Forget about SUC and LoSUr!!

IronHorseSooner
9/16/2007, 12:35 PM
If we beat texass, don't be too surprised if, by the end of the season, it's OU v Florida in the NC. Forget about SUC and LoSUr!!

Don't forget about WV as well. Their offensive talent is insane; however, their defense is awful! However, it wouldn't shock me if they lost to USF next Friday.

SoonerEmpire
9/16/2007, 12:42 PM
Don't forget about WV as well. Their offensive talent is insane; however, their defense is awful! However, it wouldn't shock me if they lost to USF next Friday.

Agreed.

IronHorseSooner
9/16/2007, 12:45 PM
If it wasn't for the fact the OU and TU plays on Friday, I might just go to the WVU-USF game on Friday. Remember, USF has scoreboard on the Mountaineers.

SoonerEmpire
9/16/2007, 12:51 PM
We have Tulsa THIS friday the 21st. WV has East Carolina Saturday, Sep. 22nd. They play USF on Friday the 28th. You could still do both.

Having been a lifelong OU fan, I'll also be a USF fan come the 28th!

Rogue
9/16/2007, 01:03 PM
Our strength of schedule, or glaring lack thereof, will hurt us in the bowl standings. Our SOS just isn't comparable with the other top teams, except maybe WVU. It's actually laughable. You don't know from year to year how that will be, but it's safe tosay that Tulsa, Utah State, and UNT aren't going to be respectable wins hardly ever. Miami could still turn out to be a respectable win, but I doubt it. Who knew the Big XII would be so bad this year? Alas SOS, BCS, NCAA, AP, and other acronyms don't really let us know how good our team is. It's a year to sit back and enjoy and let the chips fall where they may. In the meantime all we can do is beat the team across the field from us week in and week out.

SoonerEmpire
9/16/2007, 01:17 PM
Our strength of schedule, or glaring lack thereof, will hurt us in the bowl standings. Our SOS just isn't comparable with the other top teams, except maybe WVU. It's actually laughable. You don't know from year to year how that will be, but it's safe tosay that Tulsa, Utah State, and UNT aren't going to be respectable wins hardly ever. Miami could still turn out to be a respectable win, but I doubt it. Who knew the Big XII would be so bad this year? Alas SOS, BCS, NCAA, AP, and other acronyms don't really let us know how good our team is. It's a year to sit back and enjoy and let the chips fall where they may. In the meantime all we can do is beat the team across the field from us week in and week out.

I agree to a certain extent, but I still think an undefeated season (even against weak teams) will win out over a 1-loss team with a tougher schedule. As far as the Big 12? Well, the Big 12 SUCKS this year as a whole. On the bright side, as of this week aside from OU... texass, atm, NU, and Missouri are all ranked in the coaches poll. Some of them may not deserve the ranking. Some of them may be overrated, but I'm fine with them being there for exactly the reasons that you bring up. We play every one of them except NU. If (and this is a BIG "If"), but if they can all play good enough, win, and stay ranked by the time we get to each of them, I think we'll be fine. And if NU is able to win the North, then hopefully they'll be able to continue to play good enough to be ranked by the time the conference championship game comes. I know most people want Miami to win the rest of their games so it helps out our SOS, but I personally hope that atm beats them. Atm is a ranked team whereas Miami is not. If atm represents themselves well throughout the season, OU beating ATM will look better than beating a 1-loss Miami team, given that atm is ranked and miami is not. But, like I said, weak opponents or not, undefeated is undefeated no matter how one tries to spin it, and I think it will ultimately win out over a 1-loss or 2-loss team that played a tougher schedule.

Other than that, I agree with you. All we can do is play the team across the field and take care of business, and let the chips fall where they may.

StoopTroup
9/16/2007, 01:22 PM
Every time someone starts this Big XII Conference sucks stuff...

It seems we send half the conference to bowl games...

The Conference games haven't even started...

I just don't get it...

I do agree that the NU loss was bad but losing one game doesn't mean your Team sucks....

It just means your probably out of the BCS Contention.

SoonerEmpire
9/16/2007, 01:29 PM
Every time someone starts this Big XII Conference sucks stuff...

It seems we send half the conference to bowl games...

The Conference games haven't even started...

I just don't get it...

I do agree that the NU loss was bad but losing one game doesn't mean your Team sucks....

It just means your probably out of the BCS Contention.

Well, at this point in the season, I think it's safe to say that the Big 12 DOES suck right now. However, just like with all things, that may change as the season plays out. I would be more than happy if when it's all said and done, that the B12 is the best or one of the best conferences. And your point about sending half the B12 schools to bowl games to counter the argument that the B12 sucks is kind of what I was getting at with the fact that RIGHT NOW, there are 5 B12 teams that are in the top 25. Hopefully it stays that way or gets even better. But at this point in the early part of the season, the B12 hasn't done much to prove itself against the other conferences in OOC games.

SoonerBOI
9/16/2007, 01:30 PM
what about the OSU cupcakes?

SoonerEmpire
9/16/2007, 02:49 PM
OSU should forever be banished from the Big XII. I know that they have always embraced and fostered an attitude of mediocrity, but their performance against Troy was simply unforgivable... to just about EVERY teams standards. I bet Baylor throttles them this year... at least I hope. LOL!

JohnnyMack
9/16/2007, 03:19 PM
I would love to know your reasoning.

I think the D Lines of SUC and LSU are a bit more athletic and a bit more talented than anything we've seen yet. I think they'd disrupt our passing scheme (think about yesterday when USU got pressure on SB and he forced a bad ball for the int.) enough that we would become slightly more one-dimensional. Now I think we have good enought WRs/TEs to get separation, even from those defensive units so that we could sustain some drives, but Bradford won't complete 85%+ with 3 TDs against either of those teams.

As far as our D goes, I haven't seen us get enough consistent pressure on a QB to make me think we can be as disruptive in the backfield as we'd need to be. Our DE's are doing a good job of getting containment and staying at home, but up the middle I think both LSU and SUC would feast on our inconsistent play, forcing us to cheat up, leaving MW and DJ in too many mismatch situations.

All in all, I think we have a very talented team that is definitely worthy of a top 5 ranking right now, I just don't happen to think we'd beat SUC or LSU.

SoonerEmpire
9/16/2007, 03:31 PM
We may or may not be able to beat SUC or LoSUr... I don't know about that, one way or the other yet. Too early to tell if we're as good as either of them. Still too early to tell if either of them can hang with us as well. But if I had to pick one of the two teams to play, I would take SUC. It would at least make the game a truly neutral game, whereas playing LoSUr would practically be a home game for the Tigers. On the other hand in this hypothetical scenario, perhaps if we did get LoSUr, maybe Leslie Miles would make another idiotic "Let'r Rip" comment again and we go in and kick the ever living sh*t out of them in their own (almost) backyard.

However, if Florida made it to the NC game and we do to, I like our chances. Florida can put points on the board, but their defense leaves a lot to be desired at this point. But I TOTALLY think it's possible that Florida can make it to the NC.

The Maestro
9/16/2007, 05:10 PM
I think the D Lines of SUC and LSU are a bit more athletic and a bit more talented than anything we've seen yet. I think they'd disrupt our passing scheme (think about yesterday when USU got pressure on SB and he forced a bad ball for the int.) enough that we would become slightly more one-dimensional. Now I think we have good enought WRs/TEs to get separation, even from those defensive units so that we could sustain some drives, but Bradford won't complete 85%+ with 3 TDs against either of those teams.

As far as our D goes, I haven't seen us get enough consistent pressure on a QB to make me think we can be as disruptive in the backfield as we'd need to be. Our DE's are doing a good job of getting containment and staying at home, but up the middle I think both LSU and SUC would feast on our inconsistent play, forcing us to cheat up, leaving MW and DJ in too many mismatch situations.

All in all, I think we have a very talented team that is definitely worthy of a top 5 ranking right now, I just don't happen to think we'd beat SUC or LSU.

Well, I'll choose to disagree with you about our defense. Miami needed a fake and about 10 downs inside the ten yard line or our starting defensive unit would not have given up a touchdown this year. Even so, our defense has scored 1 more touchdown than they have given up...no, the competition wasn't that great, but I like all aspects of our defense and think it is a lot better than USC's and maybe just as good as LSU's. LSU hasn't played anyone with an offense worth a crap, either.

josh09
9/16/2007, 05:26 PM

Besides Nebbers, neither of those teams have had tough games. And SUC even let them score 31 points on them.

I think LSU is top in the country, and then us and SUC are tied for 2nd.

Newbomb Turk
9/16/2007, 05:36 PM
It's way too early to be worried about this stuff.

If we go undefeated and don't play in the Sugar Bowl - oh well, it will have been a better year than I thought possible.