PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad I don't have to listen to the radio broadcast

Widescreen
9/15/2007, 09:55 PM
As we were driving away from the stadium, I turn on the radio to listen to the game wrap-up. In a span of 15 seconds, BBS twice referred to our senior starting running back as "Patrick Allen". After the 1st one I thought he just misspoke and/or someone would correct him. Nope. He went from the bifecta. Guh.

Scott D
9/15/2007, 10:45 PM
if you thought that was bad, you should have heard them going to Trent Smith on the sideline.

Widescreen
9/15/2007, 10:52 PM
Smith Trent? :P

Theskipster
9/15/2007, 11:01 PM
As we were driving away from the stadium, I turn on the radio to listen to the game wrap-up. In a span of 15 seconds, BBS twice referred to our senior starting running back as "Patrick Allen". After the 1st one I thought he just misspoke and/or someone would correct him. Nope. He went from the bifecta. Guh.

Someone really needs to make sure that BBS doesn't have access to alcohol on Saturdays.

mdklatt
9/15/2007, 11:02 PM
Some people in my section were saying "Go Iguana!" today. Heh.

aurorasooner
9/15/2007, 11:10 PM
I listened to the 2nd half this afternoon. Merv is like a seeing eye dog for BBsr. You can tell Merv wants to quickly tell the listeners what's going on, but he doesn't want to embarrass BBsr. As far as Trent Smith on the sidelines, it's not bad, but not good either. If this was 30 years ago when only ABC had one or two college football games and the fans that weren't in the stands depended on radio for the game call, imo Joe-C would be swamped every Monday with phone calls and letters from Sooner radio listeners.

Jello Biafra
9/15/2007, 11:33 PM
heh reggie smith was called reggie jackson no less than three times today.....top that.. i was just happy he didn't call out billy simms name when the two big runs happened.

Soonerus
9/16/2007, 12:15 AM
It was brutal !!!!

sanantoniosooner
9/16/2007, 12:17 AM
somebody has a gun to my head making me read your posts...........

Tulsa_Fireman
9/16/2007, 12:18 AM
I called Patrick Allen.

He'll be coming to beat some sense into you shortly.

Soonerus
9/16/2007, 12:18 AM
somebody has a gun to my head making me read your posts...........

Cool...

Piware
9/16/2007, 01:49 AM
if you thought that was bad, you should have heard them going to Trent Smith on the sideline.

Heh! Trent was either having a hot dog or a nap everytime they tried to go to him. No wait, maybe he was groping a cheerleader or a horse-pig. Whatever it was he sure was slow on the uptake. Once they finally got him on the air he was pretty articulate but thought Merv was going to have to go look for him a time or two.:P

fadada1
9/16/2007, 05:55 AM
i think trent is doing pretty well. consider that 99% of the producer/director/programer's effort is dedicated to BBS. i'd bet trent is where he's suppose to be... it's just that bob's brain isn't.... ever.

LoyalFan
9/16/2007, 06:32 AM
They ain't the only ones...
I was listening to "JT The Brick" in the wee hours of Sat. AM and that guy, who claims to be a devotee of Sooner F'ball, mentioned the fancy 18-wheeler that totes the Sooner's gear...then stated it toted OSWho's stuff.
He followed this, during a discussion of the Patriot's cheating scandal, by saying that The King had accused Darrell Royal of spying on OU's practices during the 70's...errrrr...It was the other way around.
Some idoit on ESPN effused re "Demond Murray" (#7 on your handy Sooner Roster) the other day, BTW.

MAKE IT STOP!

LF

critical_phil
9/16/2007, 07:09 AM
.. i was just happy he didn't call out billy simms name when the two big runs happened.

ummmm, i think you meant terry miller.

or maybe ernest anderson.

the bob sr. deal continues to be one of the biggest jokes in college football. now i'll just sit back and wait for the "bob sr. is the nicest guy in the world" post.

Whet
9/16/2007, 02:08 PM
Well, at least, you were not listening to an interview with the vollyball coach, while DeMarco made is 93 yard run. Fox and the gal doing the interview continued asking the vollyball coach questions, as DeMarco was running down the field to score!

OUinFLA
9/16/2007, 02:27 PM
bob sr. is the nicest guy in the world.

TexasEx4OU
9/16/2007, 02:36 PM
And despite all of his foibles, BBS miraculously managed to demonstrate an ability to still count up and down by fives during Murray's 92-yr. TD run. It was mesmerizing radio...

Flagstaffsooner
9/16/2007, 02:41 PM
bob sr. is the nicest guy in the world.So are you. But you aint worth a damn either.:D

MissouriSooner
9/16/2007, 02:46 PM
Well, at least, you were not listening to an interview with the vollyball coach, while DeMarco made is 93 yard run. Fox and the gal doing the interview continued asking the vollyball coach questions, as DeMarco was running down the field to score!

Roger that. I paid big bucks for PPV to watch the game, and about a third of it was spent interviewing all the other Sooner coaches on the sidelines. Guess Emily Jones has it in her contract that she must get a half hour of face time during each broadcast. What a waste of time and my money, not to mention missing the action on the field.

Scott D
9/16/2007, 05:16 PM
I love the Sooners as much as the rest of you, but no way would I actually PAY to listen to Dean Blevins and Emily Jones.

That combination makes listening to BBS pleasurable.

toneful
9/16/2007, 05:38 PM
here in DFW i can get these guys in like 1630 or something. Can someone tell the history with these clowns. Didn't we have some good announcers that went to do cowboy games about 10 years ago and we've been stuck with these eggplants ever since? Who are they and what is their affiliation with OU that seemingly makes it so crucial that we keep them. Whenn people refer to BBS is that the color or pbp guy?

Doged
9/16/2007, 05:48 PM
Heh.. guess I'm in the minority, then. I thought it was $30 well-spent. My buds were laughing during it wondering if any USU fans bought the game, though. That side stuff would have bored them to tears.

Scott D
9/17/2007, 03:23 AM
Heh.. guess I'm in the minority, then. I thought it was $30 well-spent. My buds were laughing during it wondering if any USU fans bought the game, though. That side stuff would have bored them to tears.

Their local affiliate (non fox) carried the game for free for them.

here in DFW i can get these guys in like 1630 or something. Can someone tell the history with these clowns. Didn't we have some good announcers that went to do cowboy games about 10 years ago and we've been stuck with these eggplants ever since? Who are they and what is their affiliation with OU that seemingly makes it so crucial that we keep them. Whenn people refer to BBS is that the color or pbp guy?

BBS = pbp, has been for roughly 3 centuries.
Merv Johnson = color commentator/OU director of football operations

guzziguy
9/17/2007, 04:53 AM
Okay, I'm old....but B.B., Sr. for much of my life was the OSU announcer. I still remember when he left OU to go there in the early 70s. I still remember how happy he said he was to be there. Honestly, every time I hear his voice I think of OSU, not OU. I think the quality fits better there too.

The King had a great announcing team during those 70s and 80s glory-days. We're playing at that level again. It's too bad that we're saddled with a play by play announcer who doesn't know a highly talented player from an iguana.

OUmillenium
9/17/2007, 08:40 AM
...John Brooks and Mike Treps were the voices I grew up on during OU football/basketball in the 80s. Incredible! And yes, they are both still around. Treps was still working OU baseball recently and Brooks works NSU games and either Tulsa Oilers or OKC Blazers. GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMINY CHRISTMAS!

OKLA21FAN
9/17/2007, 08:49 AM
bob sr. is the nicest guy in the world.

how about them apples

bonkuba
9/17/2007, 01:38 PM
At the game I usually listen to 87.9 (I believe that is the frequency).....which is the audio of Bob, Merv and Trent raw before it is passed on to the main radio transmitter. You hear them talk between commercials, etc, etc.

The issue with the pauses when going Trent seemed to be that his radio (mic) wasn't working to well. I noticed him walking all over the sidelines trying to get a good spot to broadcast/interview from. At one point he walked behind Stoops and said "Would not be a good idea to run into Coach Stoops".

I know that most on here are kinda down on BBS....and believe me I know what you are speaking of....the mis-speaks, etc. But, I have to say that he is the nicest guy (media) that I have ever met.....was very down to earth and you could tell that he really does love and care about the Sooners. I know that some will say that it is time for him to go, but I would rather him make that decision on his own. But again, I understand the complaints and they are factual......but again...its kinda hard to tell a guy with that much love for the program(s) to drop dead.

My thought would be to have him as color......he does know a lot about OU since he has been around for a while :D .

Just my .02

:pop:

frankensooner
9/17/2007, 01:52 PM
Used to, when people started ranking on SR. a fellow by the name of bbjsports would come on here and take up for his pops. Where are you Jr.?

Ah, those were the days! ;)

toast
9/17/2007, 01:58 PM
Just as a public service reminder, due to the OU game being on Friday the Bob Stoops call-in show (hosted by BBS) will be tonight instead of Tuesday. Can't wait to hear Jim Bob from Spring Creek give a shout out to his momma and ask Coach Stoops to bring back the wishbone.

Taxman71
9/17/2007, 02:12 PM
BBS' mistakes aren't as bad to me as not being able to tell what is going on. You don't here "moves right, gets a block at the 40, across the 45, spins left to the 50 and gang tackled at the 48". You get "it's a handoff....runs, spins and he's tackled". Not much imagery there.