PDA

View Full Version : ND QB Jones jumps ship

kevpks
9/14/2007, 09:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3020149

Jones' status in doubt after not boarding team bus to Ann Arbor

Updated: September 14, 2007, 8:04 PM ET

Notre Dame quarterback Demetrius Jones did not board a bus departing for the trip to Michigan, Coach Charlie Weis said in a statement Friday.

Jones started Notre Dame's opener, a 33-3 loss at home to Georgia Tech. He was pulled as starter last Saturday against Penn State in favor of freshman Jimmy Clausen.

Jones' status at Notre Dame is now in doubt.

Against Georgia Tech, Jones was 1-of-3 passing for 4 yards and ran the ball 12 times for 28 yards. Four of the six drives he led ended in three-and-outs, and he fumbled the ball away on the other two possessions.

"At 2:30 today, while boarding the bus to Michigan, I was notified that Demetrius Jones had decided not to make the trip," Weis said in a statement. "I have not spoken to Demetrius and can only say that he missed the team bus. Any additional comment would be without all the facts."

ESPN television reporter Joe Schad contributed to this report.

soonersn2007
9/14/2007, 09:46 PM
If players start crumbling like this, Weis may not make it another year like everyone thinks he will.

Paperclip
9/14/2007, 09:53 PM
Maybe he just doesn't like riding the bus.

Cam
9/14/2007, 09:57 PM
I need a job where I can crumple like a cheap suit and make millions doing it. :(

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2007, 11:49 PM
Once the first rat jumps off a sinking ship more are sure to follow.

insuranceman_22
9/14/2007, 11:57 PM
Well I must admit this, if a program is going to suffer, the domers are my first choice.....suc is second......bring on some loses and misery!

journeyman
9/15/2007, 12:45 AM
Maybe Jones just decided to pull a VY and do his own thing.

guzziguy
9/15/2007, 12:47 AM
Well I must admit this, if a program is going to suffer, the domers are my first choice.....suc is second......bring on some loses and misery!

Couldn't have said it better.

goingoneight
9/15/2007, 12:48 AM
Hire me Notre Dame!!!

I would continue to drive you into the ground just for the fun of it... but I would enjoy the $$$ along the way! :D

Leroy Lizard
9/15/2007, 12:54 AM
My first would be Miami.

Oh, wait.

goingoneight
9/15/2007, 12:55 AM
Scratch that idea... put me in charge of the NCAA. I'd love to use me that hammer.

Crucifax Autumn
9/15/2007, 01:23 AM
If I had a hammer
I'd hammer in the morning
I'd hammer in the evening ... all over this land,
I'd hammer out danger
I'd hammer out a warning

Seamus
9/15/2007, 01:34 AM
Nice 10-year investment, Domers ...

Crucifax Autumn
9/15/2007, 02:00 AM
They've had this coming since the 50's. And I'm glad this cam the same year we destroyed Miami. And the same year meatchicken sucks. And the same year the whorns are gonna suffer their worst loss.

This could be a glorious year.

KantoSooner
9/15/2007, 02:49 AM
You are exactly right, Crucifax, this year is shaping up splendidly. I want MORE.
I'm really looking forward to meatchicken and ND. The true 'no lose' game of all time. Well, not really, I don't hate UM. I hope they recover for a spritely 50 point victory over Notre f*ckin' Dame.

Okla-homey
9/15/2007, 06:24 AM
Maybe he has a paper due Monday and needed to work on it. Or a test. Remember, academics are a big deal up there in Domerania.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/15/2007, 07:03 AM
Haven't you heard they have "Test" Jesus for their football players

fadada1
9/15/2007, 07:30 AM
I may have to watch the Mark May - Lou Holtz show while they link this to today's domer loss
heh.

sports center is 2 hours long - expect 2 hours and 10 minutes of nd/mich discussion. UGH!!!

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/15/2007, 07:37 AM
Just imagine how bad it would be if one of them had a winning record...or god forbid both of them were undefeated

Texas Golfer
9/15/2007, 07:56 AM
This is a boneheaded move by Jones. Weis should kick him off the team if Jones hasn't already quit. This will mean that Jones loses a year of eligibility unless he gets a waiver from the NCAA which they shouldn't grant.

He'll also have to sit out a year should he transfer to another 1A school. This will mean that it'll be two years of being inactive. He'll play football his freshman year of college and not again until his senior year. He'll have to be a fifth year senior just to squeeze another season in. He will be squeezing three years of playing football in five years of of college.

Dio
9/15/2007, 10:12 AM
"I think Charlie Weis can find another quarterback to throw for 4 yards" - Bob Stoops

Cam
9/15/2007, 10:28 AM
Supposedly he enrolled at Northern Illinois. Since he enrolled so early, he'll only miss this year and be able to play for them next year.

badger
9/15/2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah, but because of redshirt rules, unless he fakes an injury, he lost a year of eligibility... and no, "bruised ego" will not pass by the NCAA as a legit injury.

I think they didn't give him a fair shake, but on the other hand, he had the opportunity to prove himself, being the starter against Georgia Tech (AT HOME!!!) and blew it by fumbling and not moving the offense. Pathetic. Let him Saluki-ize himself.

Scott D
9/15/2007, 11:23 AM
This is a boneheaded move by Jones. Weis should kick him off the team if Jones hasn't already quit. This will mean that Jones loses a year of eligibility unless he gets a waiver from the NCAA which they shouldn't grant.

He'll also have to sit out a year should he transfer to another 1A school. This will mean that it'll be two years of being inactive. He'll play football his freshman year of college and not again until his senior year. He'll have to be a fifth year senior just to squeeze another season in. He will be squeezing three years of playing football in five years of of college.

like Cam said, rumor is he's already enrolled at Northern Illinois. Also, according to the ND football site he's a sophomore despite not playing last year as a freshman. So technically he's still got his redshirt available.

dmac75287
9/15/2007, 11:30 AM
Hate to say this because you never want a player to get injured, but Clausen has a very good chance of getting injured this year as ND's O line isn't that great. Not a very bright move for Jones.

Scott D
9/15/2007, 12:11 PM
Hate to say this because you never want a player to get injured, but Clausen has a very good chance of getting injured this year as ND's O line isn't that great. Not a very bright move for Jones.

he wouldn't be the first QB to leave ND this year.

Whet
9/15/2007, 12:25 PM
Northern Illinois, located in Dekalb, are the Huskies.... (took some post-graduate courses there) and is much closer to Jones' hometown of Chicago, as compared to that other place in Indiana.

NIU does not have TD Jesus, but a few decent football players have come from the school. For example, joining our Sooner Bears, in Chicago, is rookie runningback Garrett Wolfe, from Northern Illinois.

Wolfe became 12th player in NCAA Division I-A history to rush for over 5,000 yards in his career with a school-record 5,164 yards in three years at Northern Illinois (2004-2006) … Became just the 4th player in Division I-A history to record 3-straight 1,500 rushing yard seasons… Ranks 4th all-time in Division I-A annals with career rushing average of 156.5 yards per game, surpassed only by Ed Marinaro, O.J. (Double Killer and now Armed Robber) Simpson and Herschel Walker… He got his yards mostly against smaller, second tier schools.

Southern Illinois, located in Carbondale, are the Salukis.