PDA

View Full Version : OU all time #1

Flagstaffsooner
9/14/2007, 06:05 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-09-13-historic-ranking_N.htm

By Greg Dohmann, USA TODAY
With USC vs. Nebraska and Tennessee vs. Florida highlighting this weekend's games, the USA TODAY Coaches' Poll could look significantly different come Sunday. But regardless how those teams perform this weekend, their spots in one list are safe — for now.
Robert Lemieux, an associate professor in the communications department at McDaniel College in Westminster, Md., has created an historical ranking of the best teams in Division I-A since the inception of the Associated Press poll in 1936. By dividing each team's average positions in the postseason media and coaches polls by the percentage of times it appeared in the polls, Lemieux ranked 94 current I-A teams. Lemieux did not include teams no longer in I-A (now the Football Bowl Subdivision).
Who is No. 1? That honor belongs to Oklahoma, which has been ranked in 68% of the postseason polls with an average position of 7.18. Notre Dame is No. 2, followed by Michigan, which has appeared in 77% of the polls, more than any other team. Alabama and Ohio State round out the top 5.
Although the top of the poll is filled with the usual suspects, a few surprising teams challenged the more established programs. Boise State, which joined I-A in 1996, is listed 20th, aided by recent high rankings. Army and Duke, perennial losers in recent seasons, relied on their success of yesteryear, finishing at Nos. 31 and 34, respectively.
So, what's the point?

stoopified
9/14/2007, 08:28 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-09-13-historic-ranking_N.htm
Yet more proof of OU Greatness.

crawfish
9/14/2007, 08:34 AM
Yes, we rock.

hookersooner
9/14/2007, 10:15 PM
Stats dont lie

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/14/2007, 10:17 PM
BOOMER!

bringit
9/14/2007, 10:42 PM
word

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2007, 11:23 PM
I coulda told 'em that without all that number crunching!

OklaUalum
9/15/2007, 08:03 PM
If we have to use calc and a slide rule to come up with determinations of Number 1, I'm not too proud of quoting it.

When we do, we start to sound like Alabama fans. They think that they have won 3,576 National championships because they consider pointiless crap like the McGuilicuty times, or the Tuscaloosa writers poll, or Forest Gump assumption essay -saying that 'bama is Number 1.

the_ouskull
9/15/2007, 08:28 PM
Well, 7 National Championships since the leather helmet era ended is all of the "slide rule calculation" that I need. The 'Bama fans that quote 22 National Championships, or whatever ridiculous number it is, are all dumbarses anyway. In fact, unless the championship is recognized, I'd call it worthless. OU's championships may not have all been won "on the field" as they say, but they were all for the title. We didn't "back in" to anything... We didn't claim titles that weren't ours to claim.

Oh, does that sting, USC fans? 'Bama fans? Good. Move to the heartland.

(And yes, spare me the, "Do you know why they call it the heartland? 'cause the brain isn't there," jokes... It is true. There are some truly, truly dumb f*cking people in the state of Oklahoma. But, Juan Hector Christos, those boys can play football.)

the_ouskull