PDA

View Full Version : Rutgers - The New Miami...

soonerspudman
9/14/2007, 12:53 AM
Rutgers, the new east-coast media darlings, does any of this seem hauntingly familiar?

From www.si.com

One of college football's biggest feel-good stories of the past two years took a sour twist last week. While Greg Schiano's Scarlet Knights continue to bring unprecedented glory to Rutgers -- which is currently ranked 13th in the country -- a small but tawdry section of fans have given the school a black eye.

On Tuesday, Newark Star Ledger columnist Mark Di Ionno wrote about his unpleasant experience attending last Friday night's Knights-Navy game, in which the Rutgers student section showered their opponent with a creative array of profanities. To Navy QB Reggie Campbell, as he limped off the field following a hard hit: "You got f---ed up! You got f---ed up!" To the Navy cheering section, as the game started to get out of hand in the second half: "F--- you, Navy. F--- you, Navy."

Obviously, the actual chants did not include the dashes.

"This is how you treat people who may die for this country?" Annapolis graduate and West Orange, N.J., native Bill Squires, a spectator on the sideline that night, told Di Ionno. "It was the most classless thing I've seen. … "At one point, I thought, 'We defend this country for people like this?' I wasn't embarrassed as a New Jerseyan. I was embarrassed as a human being."

As reflected by that quote, Di Ionno, a Rutgers grad and Navy veteran, seemed particularly perturbed that the students would say such things to members of a service academy -- young men who, when their football careers are over, will go on to serve their country. It's hard to disagree with that sentiment. To me, however, it doesn't particularly matter whether the Knights were facing Navy or Norfolk State (Rutgers' opponent this weekend) -- there's no place for that kind of behavior in college football, period.

Which is why the only thing more disturbing than the scene described in Di Ionno's column (which also included the general crowd booing Navy when it took the field) were the ensuing comments on Di Ionno's blog by a select group of knuckleheads defending the students' behavior (scroll to the bottom). Among their arguments: "It's just a football game" and the author was making too much of the issue; that the author was using 9/11 (the date the column was published) to "prop up his argument;" and, of course, the obligatory, "They're just a bunch of drunk college kids, what else would you expect?"

Umm … no.

I don't care that the students involved were a small minority of the overall crowd -- they still represented (embarrassingly) their school. The 9/11 reference is completely irrelevant (other than it makes the chants look that much more stupid). And I was a drunk college kid myself once; alcohol doesn't give you free license to act like a moron.

Rutgers' administrators know this. That's why, upon hearing about the unseemly chants, school president Richard L. McCormick wrote a letter of apology to Navy Vice Admiral Jeffrey L. Fowler, and athletic director Robert Mulchay penned an open letter to Rutgers students calling their behavior "undignified, disrespectful, and unacceptable."

This is just a guess on my part, but the root of the problem is probably this. It's no secret Rutgers is relatively new to this whole big-time college football thing. My guess is a lot of these kids grew up going to nearby Eagles, Jets or Giants games, where booing and obscenity is par for the course. That's not cool in college football, however, where the participants are not multimillion-dollar professionals. As Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said Tuesday, "People pay a lot of money to go to those [NFL] games and [the players] are getting paid a lot of money, so that's their business. … There's no right to boo college kids. They want to boo me, they pay me a lot of money, they can boo me all they want. Don't boo the kids."

This is obviously an exciting and historic time for Rutgers' program and its university. The atmosphere I witnessed at last year's Louisville game was one of the most electric I've experienced anywhere. To the profane students described in Di Ionno's article -- don't go ruining that experience for others. Your school -- not to mention Navy -- deserves better.

tommieharris91
9/14/2007, 01:11 AM
I agree with Schiano. I think (to OU fans) only a few teams should be booed as they come on to the field. THose teams are from Austin, TX, Stillwater, OK, and anyone with a head coach that decides to go to the media to talk trash about OU (any team coached by Les Miles).

I won't be booing Utah State this weekend

arcman46
9/14/2007, 08:54 AM
While I agree with the idea that winning is new to Rutgers, and their fans don't yet know how to act with a winning tradition, you have to also wonder how much of the booing that occurred against Navy was spurred on by students that are, day in and day out, indoctrinated with views from the liberal, anti-war professors that seem to permiate college campuses in today's day and time.

sooneron
9/14/2007, 08:56 AM
While I agree with the idea that winning is new to Rutgers, and their fans don't yet know how to act with a winning tradition, you have to also wonder how much of the booing that occurred against Navy was spurred on by students that are, day in and day out, indoctrinated with views from the liberal, anti-war professors that seem to permiate college campuses in today's day and time.
Or they could just be drunk and stupid.:rolleyes:

Inexcusable behavior on their part, but keep that crap on SO.

ClintonSooner
9/14/2007, 08:57 AM
I always hated Rutgers fan base... most of them are bandwagoners and I think they are fake as can be. Never felt right to root for them, because they are schmucks.

sooneron
9/14/2007, 08:59 AM
I always hated Rutgers fan base... most of them are bandwagoners and I think they are fake as can be. Never felt right to root for them, because they are schmucks.
You have no idea, I am surrounded by them.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/14/2007, 09:06 AM
Well, thank God they weren't called "Nappy Headed Ho's." This is the same school that were distraught and humiliated by that term, but then turn around and pull this $hit. I am losing any respect for Rutgers that I had for them. I hope they go back to sucking again!

ClintonSooner
9/14/2007, 09:08 AM
and why the hell did you have respect for them?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/14/2007, 09:10 AM
Good point, I didn't.

CtheB
9/14/2007, 09:11 AM
I won't be booing Utah State this weekend

In lieu of booing Utah State this week, I will be leading our section in the song "Knockin' on Heaven's Door".

SoonerBOI
9/14/2007, 09:13 AM
To Rutgers - :mad: :mad: :mad:

ClintonSooner
9/14/2007, 09:16 AM
This really makes NJ look ****ing stupid... honestly at least Miami has won some **** in their time..

Flagstaffsooner
9/14/2007, 09:30 AM
Or they could just be drunk and stupid.:rolleyes:

Inexcusable behavior on their part, but keep that crap on SO.Or nappy headed ho's like your avi.:D

Position Limit
9/14/2007, 09:38 AM
arcman,
you cannot be that obtuse can you? i'm sure that's exactly why they treated navy they way they did. because of those evil liberal professors. i'm sure rutger fans have never booed or made any derogatory comment toward any other team. exclusively service academies because their professors told them so. good grief you're myopic. wow!! good luck champ.

douxpaysan
9/14/2007, 09:52 AM
arcman,
you cannot be that obtuse can you? i'm sure that's exactly why they treated navy they way they did. because of those evil liberal professors. i'm sure rutger fans have never booed or made any derogatory comment toward any other team. exclusively service academies because their professors told them so. good grief you're myopic. wow!! good luck champ.
This is SO material. I wish everyone would keep religion and politics there. Every fanbase has those Rutgers types, please don't suggest that we don't. With success comes ignorance as well as bliss. Just remember at the next game to call out the jerk that is making us look bad...that is the only way to curb it.

JohnnyMack
9/14/2007, 09:54 AM
To compare Rutgers to Miami is stupid.

Young college kids who haven't been around winning programs don't always understand exactly how to handle winning.

JohnnyMack
9/14/2007, 09:56 AM

What a dumb**** comment. I'm sorry, but I'd be surprised if before 2006 you gave consecutive seconds worth of thought to anything associated with Rutgers football.

SoonerBBall
9/14/2007, 10:00 AM
Screw that. It is college football. I love my team and I hate yours. It is ridiculous to hold a school to a different standard just because their jerseys say Army, Navy, or Air Force. Do you really think that the Rutgers fans *actually* hate Navy or do you think they were doing what they would do against any other opponent?

Position Limit
9/14/2007, 10:00 AM
This is SO material. I wish everyone would keep religion and politics there. Every fanbase has those Rutgers types, please don't suggest that we don't. With success comes ignorance as well as bliss. Just remember at the next game to call out the jerk that is making us look bad...that is the only way to curb it.

i wasn't the one who made a political comment. i just called this nimrod out for such an inane post that had nothing to do with football or fan bases of football. i'll just assume you were directing your post and recommendation for SO toward arcman.

soonerloyal
9/14/2007, 10:12 AM
Screw that. It is college football. I love my team and I hate yours. It is ridiculous to hold a school to a different standard just because their jerseys say Army, Navy, or Air Force. Do you really think that the Rutgers fans *actually* hate Navy or do you think they were doing what they would do against any other opponent?

I don't give a rat's azz why they did it or that anyone agree with what I say...it does make a difference that it was directed at a service academy, even if it wasn't meant that way. Our sons and daughters who serve have enough to put up with, without extra BS from people who should know better.

Screw behavior like that. I'm sick and tired of our heroic kids being $*** on by clueless punks who aren't worth the camel crap on my sons' combat boots. It has nothing to do with politics. It has everything to do with common decency and gratitude.

I'm going to go get a decaf...

SoonerBBall
9/14/2007, 10:17 AM
I don't give a rat's azz why they did it or that anyone agree with what I say...it does make a difference that it was directed at a service academy, even if it wasn't meant that way. Our sons and daughters who serve have enough to put up with, without extra BS from people who should know better.

Screw behavior like that. I'm sick and tired of our heroic kids being $*** on by clueless punks who aren't worth the camel crap on my sons' combat boots. It has nothing to do with politics. It has everything to do with common decency and gratitude.

I'm going to go get a decaf...

It is college football, not war. I'm quite sure that there are some Texas, USC, and Notre Dame athletes that are in the service, does that mean I shouldn't rail on them? Equating cheering for or against a football team and supporting our armed forces is just ridiculous.

douxpaysan
9/14/2007, 10:21 AM
i wasn't the one who made a political comment. i just called this nimrod out for such an inane post that had nothing to do with football or fan bases of football. i'll just assume you were directing your post and recommendation for SO toward arcman.
No...but you were the one who reacted to it with name calling. Like the player who gets flagged for responding. This board has all sorts of nonsense being spewed everyday....don't take it personal.

ClintonSooner
9/14/2007, 10:25 AM
What a dumb**** comment. I'm sorry, but I'd be surprised if before 2006 you gave consecutive seconds worth of thought to anything associated with Rutgers football.

first of all... who cares? second, I have thought of them, they sucked before and soon enough they will suck again... What My problem with them is that they all showed up when they win and they act like they are the 20 time defending world champs. Their fans suck, maybe I'm just different because I grew up following OU and have a Little class, but not for RU. I guess I'm just a soonerfan that will follow my team even through Blake-like years, and I hate all who oppose.

soonerloyal
9/14/2007, 10:32 AM
Dude, I know the difference between football and war, my sons fought in Iraq. The comments were directed at a service academy team. Doesn't matter whether the idiots meant it that way or not - they should have had the brain matter to recognize it wasn't a normal venue, or a band of normal players.

I see their rude behavior as all-too-common symptoms of an illness many young Americans suffer from: lack of common sense, the inability to grasp concepts beyond their own interests, and an embarrassing lack of gratitude for their peers who step up and do what they do not. I know they probably didn't see it as an op to bash the military. Regardless, that's what they did. They SHOULD have stopped to consider what team they were booing. Not all young people are thoughtless and self-centered...that's why our military academies are full. I just wish more young Americans would stop to consider their actions before they open their sucks.

Again, I don't give a rat's azz whether you agree with me or not. My opinion is just as valid as yours, and we both have a right to them.

JohnnyMack
9/14/2007, 10:42 AM
first of all... who cares? second, I have thought of them, they sucked before and soon enough they will suck again... What My problem with them is that they all showed up when they win and they act like they are the 20 time defending world champs. Their fans suck, maybe I'm just different because I grew up following OU and have a Little class, but not for RU. I guess I'm just a soonerfan that will follow my team even through Blake-like years, and I hate all who oppose.

Your post makes no sense. Fans showed up when a team started winning? No ****? Has that ever happened before? They get excited when they win. They were really ****ty for a long, long time and when they win and get excited you have a problem with that? I guess you hate KState fans, VaTech fans and fans of any other program that has shown a resurgence in recent years.

Your claim that all X are Y is just wrong. Does Rutgers have its share of bad fans? Yes. Does OU have its share of bad fans? Yes. Do all sports teams from the Vancouver Canucks to the the Appalachian State Women's Basketball program have bad fans? Yes.

TUSooner
9/14/2007, 11:07 AM

All the LESS reason why they should have acted like @$$holes. There's just no reason to be a jerkwad fan, even of you ARE from New Jersey (or Baton Rouge). Anybody who wants to make excuses for these dimwits deserves to have a beer poured on his head - or his child's - so he can appreciated that an a$$hole is just an a$$hole, wherever it is.

jwlynn64
9/14/2007, 01:03 PM
Exactly why should a kid have beer poured on his head because one of his parents is an a$$ hat?:confused:

sooneron
9/14/2007, 01:10 PM
I would put some money down that if a service academy came to GFMS, that a vast majority of the fans would stand and give a little applause. I have NEVER heard the stadium break into a **** anything sort of chant. Even texas. You may hear a texas or osu sucks, but that's about it.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/14/2007, 01:17 PM
The "F--- the Navy" chant pretty much says it all. Classless.

jwlynn64
9/14/2007, 01:38 PM
The only negative chants that I've ever heard were "Texas Sucks" and "Over Rated". I personally don't participate but I don't think that there is anything wrong with those chants.

On a side note, I notice that they do not refer to the stadium as the Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium anymore. It is just Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. Is that an official change?

LSUdeek
9/14/2007, 01:50 PM
All the LESS reason why they should have acted like @$$holes. There's just no reason to be a jerkwad fan, even of you ARE from New Jersey (or Baton Rouge). Anybody who wants to make excuses for these dimwits deserves to have a beer poured on his head - or his child's - so he can appreciated that an a$$hole is just an a$$hole, wherever it is.

wtf? I mean I know you have a hard-on for us, but this is just uncalled for.