PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever been bit by a fiddleback?

sanantoniosooner
9/13/2007, 08:47 PM
I'm pretty sure that's what is responsible for what appears to be a bright red third nipple on my 14 year old son.

We picked the top off it and squeezed about a teaspoon of yuck out of it. I sure hope this is as bad as it gets. We're about 3 days into the bite and it doesn't appear to be getting as bad as some stories I've heard.

I've told that dingaling not to eat in bed. Maybe now he'll listen to me. I'm sure he rolled over on the spider while he was asleep.

r5TPsooner
9/13/2007, 08:55 PM
If it were my kid, we'd be going to the doctor.

Good luck.

Veritas
9/13/2007, 08:57 PM
Um, yeah, get thee to a doctor. Now.

OU812
9/13/2007, 08:59 PM
get the steroid shot!!

SicEmBaylor
9/13/2007, 09:00 PM
My dad got bit by one several years ago. Either that or a black widow (don't recall which one). He did nothing about it and he got progressively sicker and sicker until after a month or two the poison had completely destroyed a lot of the tissue in his upper arm and caught infection throughout his body. He was delirious one night and had no clue who or where he was. We had to take him to the hospital and eventually he went down to Scott and White in Texas to be treated. He came very very close to dying.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/13/2007, 09:00 PM
Quickly.

It starts with the pus.

It'll start to die before too long. I **** you not, the skin will turn black and die and to cut it all out, the doc'll have to cut a huge chunk out of your boy's chest.

Rogue
9/13/2007, 09:04 PM
Fiddleback? Same as a black widow?

Copycat thread in 3....2....1...

Rogue
9/13/2007, 09:05 PM
Dayyum, just looked up pics. Nassssty lookin' critter.

yermom
9/13/2007, 09:30 PM
what does eating in bed have to do with it?

and yeah, i'm thinking doctor too... i mean you skimped on the cello already ;)

sanantoniosooner
9/13/2007, 09:33 PM
what does eating in bed have to do with it?

and yeah, i'm thinking doctor too... i mean you skimped on the cello already ;)
When you eat in bed you leave crumbs in bed.

Things learn that your bed is a good place to forage for dinner. Then you roll over on them and they say howdy.

SoonerGirl06
9/13/2007, 09:36 PM
Take him to the doc and get him on some meds quick.

We had a patient just the other day that we had to remove a huge chunk of necrotic skin from her back because of a brown recluse spider bite despite the fact that we began treating her with antibiotics and such right after the bite occured.

Nasty stuff.

sanantoniosooner
9/13/2007, 09:38 PM
One thing in his favor is that he's already taking some pretty strong antibiotics because he had an ingrown toenail removed that had gotten infected.

He's going to have to start telling about this stuff before days/weeks/months go by.

SoonerGirl06
9/13/2007, 09:40 PM
One thing in his favor is that he's already taking some pretty strong antibiotics because he had an ingrown toenail removed that had gotten infected.

He's going to have to start telling about this stuff before days/weeks/months go by.

14 y/o boys.... they think they're indestructable.

yermom
9/13/2007, 09:41 PM
i was no stranger to the emergency room by then :O

GottaHavePride
9/13/2007, 09:50 PM
Dude. Antibiotics will not neutralize venom. The venom's probably still in there killing things. And once it's dead flesh, there's no blood circulation in there, so antibiotics don't do anything. Get him to a doctor. But not OUDoc, you'll never get out of the waiting room. ;)

SicEmBaylor
9/13/2007, 09:52 PM
Do they teach you nurses that line at nursing school?

When I got hit by a car and waited 10 hours to go to the ER, the nurse there chewed my *** in one way and out the other for waiting so long. She gave me that same damned line, "You college boys think you're all indestructible but you're not!"

sanantoniosooner
9/13/2007, 09:59 PM
There is no such thing as antivenom for fiddlebacks.

There is some stuff they can give in the earliest stages to help, but we are well past that. He got bit Monday night.

OU812
9/13/2007, 10:12 PM
did you suck the puss from the wound?

Soonerus
9/13/2007, 10:12 PM
bad stuff...

olevetonahill
9/13/2007, 10:25 PM
Arnt we ? :confused:

olevetonahill
9/13/2007, 10:30 PM

There is some stuff they can give in the earliest stages to help, but we are well past that. He got bit Monday night.
When I was in AIT . I got bit on my trigger finger, No clue what kinda spider . But The Army treated it saved my trigger finger and sent off to S/E asia
Ya aint gonna treat a spider bite at home ! Take the Boy to the ER Now ok ?

GottaHavePride
9/13/2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking they can still drain out whatever's in there to stop it from getting worse.

bluedogok
9/13/2007, 10:47 PM
A surveyor that I worked with got bit by something at Fort Stewart, Georgia. They thought it was a Fiddleback/Brown Recluse, he didn't do anything about it until it got bad. They thought that he might lose his leg and he ended up having to have skin grafts and got the hyperbaric oxygen therapy for quite awhile.

olevetonahill
9/13/2007, 10:53 PM
So consensus is ?
Take the kid to the ER
Your Sooner friends can help if ya need/want it !:cool:

SCOUT
9/13/2007, 10:56 PM
So consensus is ?
Take the kid to the ER
Your Sooner friends can help if ya need/want it !:cool:

I am hoping he hasn't responded because he is already there. If not...

GO TO THE ER!!!!

olevetonahill
9/13/2007, 11:04 PM
I am hoping he hasn't responded because he is already there. If not...

GO TO THE ER!!!!
Im usually just a smartass here , But on this I will help pay . Please take the Kid to the ER
I wasnt jokin about losing my trigger finger !It came close . But I could do the M-60 easy when I got there !

achiro
9/14/2007, 06:33 AM
My dad got bit by one several years ago. Either that or a black widow (don't recall which one). He did nothing about it and he got progressively sicker and sicker until after a month or two the poison had completely destroyed a lot of the tissue in his upper arm and caught infection throughout his body. He was delirious one night and had no clue who or where he was. We had to take him to the hospital and eventually he went down to Scott and White in Texas to be treated. He came very very close to dying.
I thought your dad was a dr?

soonerboomer93
9/14/2007, 07:16 AM
do i have to hunt down the brown recluse spider bite video on youtube?

trust me, if I do, you won't be right after seeing it...

sanantoniosooner
9/14/2007, 07:31 AM
yeah yeah.........the bites CAN be bad in about 10% of the bites that happen. Most of the time there are LOTS of symptoms that happen in the first 24 hours when the bite is leaning towards the nasty side. My son didn't even mention this thing for 2 days and we were beyond that stage by that point.

I talked to my Dr Bro last night and did a few things. It's too late for certain treatments, but we marked the progression of the bite last night for reference. This morning it has reduced significantly. Draining the crud must have helped a lot. The dark red patch was about the size of a 50 cent piece last night with a lot of small vessels surrounding the area being visible through the skin. This morning the main area doesn't have any more drainage and the surrounding areas have returned to normal coloring.

crawfish
9/14/2007, 07:34 AM
TAKE HIM TO THE DOCTOR!!!

Veritas
9/14/2007, 07:37 AM
OMFG

TAKE HIM TO THE DOCTOR

SoonerJack
9/14/2007, 07:56 AM
TTIWWP

OUDoc
9/14/2007, 08:19 AM
Okay, read down to GHP insulting me (:mad:), then skipped to here. (Kidding, GHP).

Fiddlebacks (spiders in general) get blamed for lots of skin infections. Sometimes they are the cause, usually not. Unless you saw the spider around the time of the bite, I would doubt it. As you've probably GIS'd by now, fiddleback bites are nasty. They cause the skin to die and turn a pretty shade of black or brown. Nothing has been proven to help slow or stop the venom, but we sometimes try anyway. It usually runs its course, then we fix the hole it leaves. That said, MRSA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRSA) is out there and more likely. It causes lots of pustules and generally looks nasty. Problem is, it's resistant to most antibiotics. Fortunately, a cheap one (Bactrim) takes care of it. So, if it's not getting any better this AM, run him to the doctor or a doc-in-the-box and get the appropriate antibiotic. Good luck.

soonerbrat
9/14/2007, 08:24 AM
When you eat in bed you leave crumbs in bed.

Things learn that your bed is a good place to forage for dinner. Then you roll over on them and they say howdy.

spiders don't eat crumbs.
fiddlebacks like dark places to hide..probably just hiding under the covers. since you had one, you defintely have many more around your house...be sure to shake out your shoes, clothes, and blankets before climbing in.

SoonerGirl06
9/14/2007, 09:03 AM
Do they teach you nurses that line at nursing school?

When I got hit by a car and waited 10 hours to go to the ER, the nurse there chewed my *** in one way and out the other for waiting so long. She gave me that same damned line, "You college boys think you're all indestructible but you're not!"

Noooo.... it's something we figure out RATHER QUICKLY because you numbskulls think you're indestructable and will wait FOREVER to get the proper treatment.

Male patients can be the worst sometimes... but then again so are physicians and yes, nurses.

SoonerGirl06
9/14/2007, 09:07 AM
Arnt we ? :confused:

No you're not! :P

But you're the exception. :D

OUDoc
9/14/2007, 09:35 AM
Male patients can be the worst sometimes... but then again so are physicians and yes, nurses.
You're all quacks! ;)

SicEmBaylor
9/14/2007, 11:37 AM
I thought your dad was a dr?
He's really really really bad at self-care.

SoonerGirl06
9/14/2007, 11:41 AM
He's really really really bad at self-care.

I have met a doctor who isn't... nurses are the same way. :O

dolemitesooner
9/14/2007, 12:09 PM

Dude he has to go to the doctor. I have a 3 inch round scare on my leg where it started to rot out. They thought they were going to have to apputate my leg.

They cut deep into my upper thigh.

YOU HAVE TO TAKE HIM TO THE DOCTOR

sanantoniosooner
9/14/2007, 05:43 PM
spiders don't eat crumbs.
Insects eat crumbs.

Spiders eat insects.

OUDoc
9/14/2007, 09:18 PM
Insects eat crumbs.

Spiders eat insects.
Frogs eat spiders.

Gila monsters eat frogs.

Coyotes eat Gila Monsters.

GottaHavePride
9/14/2007, 09:34 PM
Dude, SAS's son got bit by a coyote? dang.

OKC-SLC
9/14/2007, 10:01 PM
Dude, SAS's son got bit by a coyote? dang.
No, a Gila monster. Seriously, have you even READ this thread?

GottaHavePride
9/14/2007, 10:02 PM
All I remember was something about a moose bite.

OUDoc
9/15/2007, 10:46 AM
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

Rogue
9/15/2007, 10:57 AM
Catch the gila monster, or coyote, in a jar and take it to the emergency room with you so they can properly identify the nastiness that bit the boy and prescribe the proper caliber round to address the situation with.

LoyalFan
9/16/2007, 06:21 AM
I had the pleasure and privilege of being a guest in SAS's home y'day. We watched the game via PPV, y'see.
I asked to see the bite site on #1 Son's side. You will all be happy to know that the damage seems minimal and that healing progresses apace...so far.
Thanks to SAS, his delightful spouse and super-nice kids for a great afternoon!

LF

1stTimeCaller
9/16/2007, 07:26 AM
Hey son, my internet friend wants to look at where the spider bit you!!

That had to be ackward.

;)

swardboy
9/16/2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks for NOT posting pics on this thread.

sanantoniosooner
9/16/2007, 02:41 PM
I had the pleasure and privilege of being a guest in SAS's home y'day. We watched the game via PPV, y'see.
I asked to see the bite site on #1 Son's side. You will all be happy to know that the damage seems minimal and that healing progresses apace...so far.
Thanks to SAS, his delightful spouse and super-nice kids for a great afternoon!

LF
It was great to have you over. The only bonus would have been a UT loss. No such luck.

I know everyone has worst case scenarios in their mind, but I think we got lucky and this bite was on the fortunate end of the spectrum.

1stTimeCaller
9/16/2007, 02:56 PM
when I first read that post I read 'spectrum' wrong. whew.

LoyalFan
9/16/2007, 03:40 PM
Hey son, my internet friend wants to look at where the spider bit you!!

That had to be ackward.

;)

Welllll, it wasn't awkward at all. Not like he'd been bitten on the perineum!
Actually, I've some "amateur" expertise re Brown Recluse bites, having had at least three close friends suffer same...with far more dire results than SAS Jr. is currently experiencing.
For the record; One was a 16 year old hottie-to-be who was bitten just above her right ankle. The parents pretty much told her to "walk it off". Result, one shapely leg marred by the absence of a tablespoon's worth of flesh and hide. I see her now and then and it's a sad sight.
The second, a young fellow in his twenties, nearly lost his right thumb to a bite that was ignored for a few days.
Lastly, an older chum who lost at least an ice-cream scoop's worth of tissue, again, due to paying too little heed, too late.
These things are NOT TO BE IGNORED!

LF

JohnnyMack
9/16/2007, 09:04 PM
I hate spiders and snakes.

I'm moving to Antarctica. They don't have spiders or snakes there do they?

GottaHavePride
9/16/2007, 09:07 PM
only what you bring with you...

sanantoniosooner
9/16/2007, 09:37 PM
I'm surprised we made it this far with out someone suggesting it might have been a "celloback" spider.

JohnnyMack
9/16/2007, 09:41 PM
I'm surprised we made it this far with out someone suggesting it might have been a "celloback" spider.

We're all too scared of PG's neg hammer to start effing around like that.

olevetonahill
9/16/2007, 09:44 PM
To hell with the Kid .
If you havnt taking the Spider to the Vet , Im calling PETA , an The spca on ya !:mad:

olevetonahill
9/16/2007, 09:49 PM
We're all too scared of PG's neg hammer to start effing around like that.
I aint skeered ! She made me a PIE , A PEACH PIE , The BEST peach pie I evar eated. Im gonna send the pan back with a Refill request !

sanantoniosooner
9/16/2007, 10:28 PM
I've got a witness on the board that we got things under control.

As much as I like you guys, I trust the eye witness opinions and input from my brother that is a doctor over a bunch of internet friends that haven't even seen what's going on personally.

No offense ;)