PDA

View Full Version : 3 1/2 Hour Long Meetings

VeeJay
9/13/2007, 12:22 PM
Had one yesterday, a conference call with the suits in our corp. office. We don't video conference, so we had the people on the speakerphone. I knew this one was going to be a bear, so I was prepared. I went in with some of those always-look-forward-to green bar reports and a highlighter.

There are four of us in my group. On the call, an Oriental gentleman kept yapping. The second time he piped up, one of the guys in my group spoke up, "Who the f--- is that?" Of course, the phone was muted. No one ever found out who the Oriental dude was, but he sure was commenting a lot in broken English.

So my boss breaks the ice by doing a kung fu move while this guy was ranting about this-than-and-the-other. He starts kicking his leg and doing these air judo chops. The rest of us followed the lead. Every time the Oriental guy piped up, I blurted out, "Eeeeeiii, karate!" Except I pronounced it 'Ka-dah-tay" because that's the way I heard Elvis pronounce it once. I called the dude "Kung Fu" but the other guys called him "Wang Chung."

sooner_born_1960
9/13/2007, 12:33 PM
The phone wasn't muted.
signed - Tommy Nguyen, CEO

OUinFLA
9/13/2007, 12:34 PM
You get paid to do this?
:D

MextheBulldog
9/13/2007, 12:49 PM
Nothing like a little speakerphone fun during meetings. But, wow, 3.5 hours - what a waste of time...

Cam
9/13/2007, 08:48 PM
3 1/2 hour meetings are pretty standard at my company. It's the 3 day long meetings with vendors every other month that used put me under the table. I'm really glad I'm not in that role any longer.

Ike
9/13/2007, 10:42 PM
better than 4 1-hour long meetings back to back to back to back, like I had on both monday and tuesday mornings.

Thank god for laptops.

Soonerus
9/13/2007, 10:46 PM
Had one yesterday, a conference call with the suits in our corp. office. We don't video conference, so we had the people on the speakerphone. I knew this one was going to be a bear, so I was prepared. I went in with some of those always-look-forward-to green bar reports and a highlighter.

There are four of us in my group. On the call, an Oriental gentleman kept yapping. The second time he piped up, one of the guys in my group spoke up, "Who the f--- is that?" Of course, the phone was muted. No one ever found out who the Oriental dude was, but he sure was commenting a lot in broken English.

So my boss breaks the ice by doing a kung fu move while this guy was ranting about this-than-and-the-other. He starts kicking his leg and doing these air judo chops. The rest of us followed the lead. Every time the Oriental guy piped up, I blurted out, "Eeeeeiii, karate!" Except I pronounced it 'Ka-dah-tay" because that's the way I heard Elvis pronounce it once. I called the dude "Kung Fu" but the other guys called him "Wang Chung."

possibly had to be there to find the full humor...

def_lazer_fc
9/14/2007, 12:16 AM
oriental is not the proper nomenclature dude. asian-american please. or just asian. :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/14/2007, 06:48 AM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/Tonito44/ThatsRacist.gif

VeeJay
9/14/2007, 06:56 AM
possibly had to be there to find the full humor...

Probably. But it broke the monotony of sitting there acting like we were interested in everything that was being discussed. A couple of the suits (newly hired from outside) were long-winded with lectures on stuff we've been doing 20 years.

tulsaoilerfan
9/14/2007, 07:29 AM
Our meetings used to last from 2-3 hours with our old boss, but we've had 2 so far with our new boss and the first one was like 35 minutes and the second one was around an hour; that's they way they should all be.