PDA

View Full Version : Group Projects (a rant)

Grimey
9/13/2007, 11:41 AM
Why do professors love group work so much? I am in a Graduate program that at the end is supposed to have prepared me to get my CPA. What exactly does doing a group presentation on the history of the FASB have to do with me getting my CPA?

I always get crappy groups. Plus, this is a program specifically designed for working adults, so they know that it is a pain in the *** for groups to meet outside of class time. I hate knowing that my grade may hinge on whether one of the people in my group had a sick 3 year old so they couldnt complete their powerpoint slides.

Whatever happened to the professor lectures, I take notes, and then I take exams over the notes? Is that too freaking old-fashioned? Do I get to work in a group when I am taking the CPA exam?

Group work SUCCS

The End

OCUDad
9/13/2007, 11:45 AM
In grade school, you didn't score high in "works and plays well with others," did you? :rolleyes:

Petro-Sooner
9/13/2007, 11:46 AM
I always kinda like them. I usually got put into a team that had that one "go getter" that just had to get an A or the world would stop. They would end up doing a lot of the work. My attitude was, go right ahead. Knock yourself out. Less I have to do.

Frozen Sooner
9/13/2007, 11:49 AM
Assuming that it's an MBA program, they assign a lot of group work because it is important for senior managers to be able to work well collaboratively. Maybe not so much for CPAs, I guess.

M
9/13/2007, 11:51 AM
Yes, sometimes group projects suck, but the same problems you're having in your class will more than likely happen at your future job. Just part of the territory.

mdklatt
9/13/2007, 11:57 AM
Why do professors love group work so much?

Life is a group project.

Grimey
9/13/2007, 12:03 PM
I always kinda like them. I usually got put into a team that had that one "go getter" that just had to get an A or the world would stop. They would end up doing a lot of the work. My attitude was, go right ahead. Knock yourself out. Less I have to do.

are you in my group?;)

Assuming that it's an MBA program, they assign a lot of group work because it is important for senior managers to be able to work well collaboratively. Maybe not so much for CPAs, I guess.

Its a Master in Accounting and Financial Analysis. I figured there would be a lot more group work in the MBA and I wanted to specialize in Financial Analysis.

I don't mind doing group stuff at work because I am paid to do it and I know that my co-workers usually care as much as I do. At school, you may get someone who is thinking of dropping out or is on the verge of flunking out. Or just someone who likes to let someone else do the work:P

proud gonzo
9/13/2007, 12:05 PM
I don't like group work either, unless you get to choose your own groups. Then you have a chance to work with people who hold their own work to the same standards you do.

SOONERKAT
9/13/2007, 12:14 PM
Lucky for me, my program lets us choose our groups and my team has pretty much stayed the same since we started. I have what I considder to be the perfect group: a PR Rep (the speaker), and accountant (balance sheets/ financial statements), and an IT guy (obvious). I sort of fly under the radar and act as the mediator when the PR girl and the accountant start trying to kill each other. My biggest fear in going into this program was getting stuck with a couple of loafers that didn't pull their weight. So far so good.

King Crimson
9/13/2007, 12:35 PM
i'm not a big fan of assigning it--seems like a waste of class-time to me. and didn't like it much as a student or grad student.

if i had to just haul off and guess it means out of class time the prof isn't having to prep for lecture--and shift the burden or presentation on to the class. this and weekly discussion leaders give the profs a cushy yet authoritative class presence....and having sat through many pretty average grad seminars...it's pretty common.

MextheBulldog
9/13/2007, 01:47 PM
Get used to it - corporate America loves the group work - this is Prof's trying to prep you for the future. Helps to reduce risk, or so "they say". Difference is, you can fire the slacker whereas in college land you're stuck with him or her.

soonersweetie
9/13/2007, 02:30 PM
I hate group work. I would much prefer to just to do it myself. Cause half the time, the rest of the group either doesn't care or they don't approach it with the same perfectionist mentality that I do.

Grimey
9/13/2007, 02:56 PM
I hate group work. I would much prefer to just to do it myself. Cause half the time, the rest of the group either doesn't care or they don't approach it with the same perfectionist mentality that I do.

me too. I would just as soon do the whole thing myself half the time.

SicEmBaylor
9/13/2007, 03:08 PM
Why do professors love group work so much? I am in a Graduate program that at the end is supposed to have prepared me to get my CPA. What exactly does doing a group presentation on the history of the FASB have to do with me getting my CPA?

I always get crappy groups. Plus, this is a program specifically designed for working adults, so they know that it is a pain in the *** for groups to meet outside of class time. I hate knowing that my grade may hinge on whether one of the people in my group had a sick 3 year old so they couldnt complete their powerpoint slides.

Whatever happened to the professor lectures, I take notes, and then I take exams over the notes? Is that too freaking old-fashioned? Do I get to work in a group when I am taking the CPA exam?

Group work SUCCS

The End

I agree with you. I detest study groups. They almost never move through the material as fast as I can alone, and usually there's at least one moron in the group that brings everyone else down to his/her level.

SoonerStormchaser
9/13/2007, 03:40 PM
I'm just gonna sit back and let you write all the posts from now on.

rufnek05
9/13/2007, 04:30 PM
i don't mind group projects. but then i'm that one person who just sits and barely participates.

badger
9/13/2007, 05:01 PM
group work is a time to slack off and focus on individual work.

no biggie, you all get th same grade, riiiiight? :D:D:D

Viking Kitten
9/13/2007, 05:16 PM
Get used to it - corporate America loves the group work - this is Prof's trying to prep you for the future. Helps to reduce risk, or so "they say". Difference is, you can fire the slacker whereas in college land you're stuck with him or her.
Not if the slacker is the boss's son-in-law.

I used to hate group work when I was in school. I didn't like having to rely on other people for my grades, and coordinating with other busy students was a big, fat pain in the a**. Now, five years later, I realize that the things I learned about working with different personality types and varying degrees of work ethic were probably among the most important lessons I learned in college.

colleyvillesooner
9/13/2007, 05:17 PM
bingo

skycat
9/13/2007, 05:39 PM
Having group work assigned with people in the same class by a professor is a crap-ton better than group work assigned by your boss with people on one, two, or three different continents.

soonerboomer93
9/13/2007, 09:23 PM
ah yes, there's a reason I took all but 2 of my classes online when I went back to school

(damn you public speaking)

but in my field, or atleast at the level I work, there's very little group work. If I were an inspector, it might be somewhat different, but my department is different.