PDA

View Full Version : Should Stoops Run up the Score?

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/13/2007, 07:45 AM
I think so as long as they are aggies(any shape or form), whorns, or anyone else that deserves it...i.e. UsC, Miami, Notre Dame etc al

Veritas
9/13/2007, 07:52 AM
Hell ****ing yes. Sub in your 2nd/3rd string kids, but if you're still putting up points, that's a them problem.

And I mean that even if it's my team subjected to the donkey beating.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/13/2007, 07:54 AM
Horse Poo!!!! I say leave the first string in the whole game!

PhiDeltBeers
9/13/2007, 08:01 AM
I was wondering where the onside kick was after Hazle's TD pass against Miami. I mean doesn't the onside kick usually come late in the game????? I was confused.

aurorasooner
9/13/2007, 08:12 AM
If our running backs run backwards, does that take points off the board?

sooneron
9/13/2007, 08:49 AM
I don't think that Stoops does run up the score. If Bradford was still in the game and we were up by 4 or more scores with 5 min left, that would be trying to run up the score. Instead, that is something that Pete Carroll does, yet, he gets no grief for it. Everyone just stands in awe of the mighty sc prowess.

Having your 2nd and 3rd teamers trying to execute isn't running up the score. If Bradford is still in the game on Saturday past halfway into the 3rd Q, we aren't executing very well and aren't up by much.
I think Sam will be out after 42 points, whenever that hapens.

GottaHavePride
9/13/2007, 09:36 AM
I don't know, if Sam's working fast they might let him stay in long enough to throw 6 TDs... ;)

Theskipster
9/13/2007, 10:06 AM
It is only OK to run up the score against Texas and Texas A&M since it is hilarious to watch the fan meltdown from those two teams. And they deserve it.

Mazeppa
9/13/2007, 10:10 AM
No, he should let the players do it.

SOONERKAT
9/13/2007, 10:12 AM
It is only OK to run up the score against Texas and Texas A&M since it is hilarious to watch the fan meltdown from those two teams. And they deserve it.

I could not agree with you more on this one. Nothing would please me more than to see Sam come out of the half this weekend in his warm-ups, but against the Texas teams (atm specifically) NO MERCY!!!!

(BTW:I am now drowning in a sea of sheep-shaggers from collie station, and am looking forward to November 5, when I return to the office).

StuIsTheMan
9/13/2007, 10:49 AM
Hang a hundred on 'em Bob...I mean if a half a hundred was good for the king in the 70' and 80's, you have to add for inflation right?:D

rondog79
9/13/2007, 11:31 AM
the only way the coaches poll and other polls will move us up to #1,2 is to continue to put up huge #s , so to answer the question YES

Mark_of_Tulsa
9/13/2007, 11:39 AM
I'd rather see a shut out than a high score.
48 to 0 is better than 58 to 10.

FlatheadSooner
9/13/2007, 11:40 AM
No. But I don't think we've intentionally done that this year.

We're fortunate enough to be deep at most positions so it is going to appear that way - but I don't think anyone can look at the rotations and claim that we are.

It's really a nice problem, eh?

AZSOONER
9/13/2007, 11:40 AM
I don't think hanging half a hundred on everyone is considered running up the score. I guess unless the score is 45-0 with 2 min. left in the 4th and we're throwin bombs.

Beans
9/13/2007, 11:58 AM

I disagree that would make them GAY but they can run the score up :twinkies:

soonerboy_odanorth
9/13/2007, 12:06 PM
Yes, but only against teams from Texas, in-state rivals, and teams that could affect whether or not we get to the Big XII championship and/or our BCS standing... ;)

Seamus
9/13/2007, 12:13 PM

Heh. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif

Zing
9/13/2007, 12:31 PM
I'd rather see a shut out than a high score.
48 to 0 is better than 58 to 10.

how about 48-0 vs. 105-3?

I just think it would be awesome if we scored more points than they had space for on the scoreboard. 953 yards of offense, 100+ points... how would they handle that?

sooner n houston
9/13/2007, 12:51 PM
Yea, I'm gettin' greedy too! I want to see 100!!! :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/13/2007, 01:11 PM
Personally I think Stoops should eat the children of every coaching staff we play

humblesooner
9/13/2007, 01:12 PM
how about 48-0 vs. 105-3?

I just think it would be awesome if we scored more points than they had space for on the scoreboard. 953 yards of offense, 100+ points... how would they handle that?

You need another 47 yards of offense to get that one off the scoreboard, too.

humblesooner
9/13/2007, 01:15 PM
I think the coach should only be concerned about his team.
If he wants his ones to get work, then leave them in the game.
If he wants his twos to get work, then they go in.
However, I think it is a slap in the face to put the twos and threes in the game and tell them to sit on the ball.
If you are going to sit on the ball, let the ones do it.
If you put the backups in, give them the entire offense (ala Halzle last week).

You can spend too much time worrying about the feelings of the other team to the chagrine of your own players.

Octavian
9/13/2007, 01:30 PM
Utah State

Tulsa

Baylor

Should be exempt.

Everyone else better hide their women.

handcrafted
9/13/2007, 01:43 PM
He** yes, agin' the following:

1. Any school with "Texas" in their name
2. All teams known to be EVIL
3. Aggy (including Lite, Sand, Mormon, whatever)

Be nice to Baylor and Tulsa. Them's nice Christian schools. Plus their fans are cool and they know their place. :D

stoopified
9/13/2007, 01:45 PM
I for one am glad to see Bob allowing the offense to attack ,instead of going into RUN OUT THE CLOCK mode.That came close to costing us last year vs. TBA and aTm.Winning by CONVINCING SCORES is what you have to do to impress pollsters.If we had a playoff,this would be unecessary.Just my two cents.

rondog79
9/13/2007, 02:21 PM
said well brother preach on

Theskipster
9/13/2007, 02:25 PM
I for one am glad to see Bob allowing the offense to attack ,instead of going into RUN OUT THE CLOCK mode.That came close to costing us last year vs. TBA and aTm.Winning by CONVINCING SCORES is what you have to do to impress pollsters.If we had a playoff,this would be unecessary.Just my two cents.

I really don't think Bob was confident enough with his offense last year to continue attacking once ahead. I think he made the right call last year playing more conservative when ahead.

Glad to see he has full confidence in his offense this year.

stoopified
9/13/2007, 02:43 PM
I really don't think Bob was confident enough with his offense last year to continue attacking once ahead. I think he made the right call last year playing more conservative when ahead.

Glad to see he has full confidence in his offense this year.I'd buy thhat aruement, EXCEPT we were willing to attack to get the lead in the first place.Even if we were heavy on the run we mixed things up and sprinkled in pass plays.Playing conservative is fine with a DOMINANT D,last years D was less than dominant.In amy case I for one am overjoyed at us using attack mode in the second half.TB up the middle on 1st,2nd,3rd,downs followed by a punt is much less fun.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/13/2007, 03:37 PM
If you don't like the score, get better.

freshchris05
9/13/2007, 04:04 PM
In amy case I for one am overjoyed at us using attack mode in the second half.

Which Amy Case? Because if it's the one i think it is, i'd be more than overjoyed to use attack mode when im in her second half. :D

freshchris05
9/13/2007, 04:06 PM
eh.. alrite that was lame..

handcrafted
9/13/2007, 04:47 PM
Dude, that wasn't worth the time it took to think it up and type it...

:texan:

r5TPsooner
9/13/2007, 04:50 PM
It's not unusual....

josh09
9/13/2007, 05:58 PM
Let the kids play and see what happens, Stoops has put in the 2nd and 3rd strings the past 2 games, yet we still keep scoring....

Its not our fault were amazing even at 2nd and 3rd strings. :D

Will
9/13/2007, 07:55 PM
If we keep winning big like this and our players get great stats are a lot of them going to jump ship after the season...

Cam
9/13/2007, 09:17 PM
Where's the option of letting kids who don't get to see the field much prove what they can do in a real game?

goingoneight
9/13/2007, 11:10 PM
When you hang onto a lead of 3 scores or less trying to let your defense win the game (literally laying down for a long period of time)... you deserve to get beat if they come back and beat your tired defense. IOW, if you try and play possession football in the 4th quarter and Baylor shuts you down, scores 21 and takes you into OT... you deserve it.

If you're winning "big" in the top of the ninth, does your batting coach tell you to intentionally strike out to get it over with? If you're leading by three strokes, do you whiff the ball into the water on #18 just to be nice and ride it out?

There's a time to stop, and being up by three scores probably isn't quite that time.

stoopified
9/14/2007, 08:59 AM
Which Amy Case? Because if it's the one i think it is, i'd be more than overjoyed to use attack mode when im in her second half. :D
Not going to tell you,becuse then everyone will want her number. :)

The Maestro
9/14/2007, 02:30 PM
I would love to see us break 80...haven't done that since the 82-42 win at Colorado.

We could easily have 49 by halftime...then it is just 5 more touchdowns. Sounds crazy and far-fetched, but if our special teams and defense gets into the scoring mix, getting to 80 is not that crazy. One special teams TD and one defensive TD and we only need 2 TD's a quarter from the offense to pull it off. I'd love to be leading the nation in scoring with a defense like ours!

freshchris05
9/14/2007, 04:30 PM
Dude, that wasn't worth the time it took to think it up and type it...

:texan:

heh... you'd be amazed at how fast i crap sh*t out haha...

Texas Golfer
9/14/2007, 06:02 PM

BINGO!

If you can play the whole team because your lead is sufficient enough, you should play them. If give the substitutes game experience and rests the starters and keeps them injury free.

Texas Golfer
9/14/2007, 06:06 PM
I don't think hanging half a hundred on everyone is considered running up the score. I guess unless the score is 45-0 with 2 min. left in the 4th and we're throwin bombs.

I don't mind throwing bombs with 2 minutes left in the game as long as it's the substitutes playing.

I would want them to play as hard as they could. They're not going to get game experience by sitting on the ball. If you're not going to play the best you can, then get off the field.