PDA

View Full Version : Our 2008 Sched is a KILLER

SoonerBOI
9/12/2007, 09:59 PM
I know, i know 2007 is 2 weeks old. Looking at our 2008 schedule, it seems like a killer. Up and coming Cincinnati and Washington and throw in TCU. Wow. What cupcake do we have next year, since I see two dates available. Do we schedule a heavyweight?

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2008

Date Opponent
9/6 Cincinnati
9/13 TBA
9/20 at Washington
9/27 TCU (3)
10/4 at Baylor
10/11 vs Texas
10/18 Kansas
10/25 at Kansas State
11/1 Nebraska
11/8 at Texas A&M
11/15 Texas Tech
11/22 TBA
11/29 at Oklahoma State
12/6 Big 12 CG (TBA)

(UPDATES:
8/11/07 The Star-Telegram reports that a 2-game series between OU and TCU for 2008 and 2012 is being finalized.

8/7/07 OU announces a 2-game series with Cincinnati for 2008 and 2010.

7/30/07 Michigan and Notre Dame have extended the contract for their series for another 20 years, from 2012 to 2031. It is not clear yet what effect -- if any -- this will have on the previously-reported negotiations between OU and Notre Dame. There are rumors that OU is replacing Michigan State (or possibly Purdue) on Notre Dame's schedule for 2012 and 2013.

7/25/07 According to ESPN, "Notre Dame athletic director Kevin White last week announced that Oklahoma would replace Michigan for two years after the current contract expires." Since the contract expires in 2011, that means the 2015 would be moved to 2012.

7/21/07 According to FanNation, Notre Dame will not play Michigan for at least two years after their contract expires in 2011, and OU is rumored to be the replacement for two of those games. This seems to be even more evidence pointing to a 2012 game against the Irish.

12/19/06 The Big 12 announced future schedules for 2008-15. The dates listed for the Oklahoma State games during this period are Saturdays, but these could be moved up to Friday.

9/19/06 Due to the officiating problems at the end of the Oregon game (with Pac-10 officials), there is a chance that the 2008 Washington game might be cancelled.

8/2/06 The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that OU and Ohio State are finalizing a series for the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

9/20/05 The University of Tennessee announces that OU and Tennessee will play at two-game series in 2014 and 2015. OU announces the series on their site. This lends a little more credence to the rumor of the Notre Dame game being moved to 2012 (based on OU's current scheduling philosophy of playing one big-name opponent each year), but nothing official has been announced by either school or any media outlet.

8/9/04 In a radio interview, Joe Castiglione said that games with the following teams were being discussed: Army, Florida State, LSU, Michigan, North Carolina, and Ohio State.

2/21/04 From the NCAA Manual regarding how many I-AA teams may be scheduled during any given time frame:

20.9.6.2 Football Scheduling Requirement. [I-A] The institution shall schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football games against members of Division I-A and shall schedule and play at least five regular-season home football games against members of Division I-A. For purposes of satisfying the scheduling requirement, a contest shall be considered a home contest if it is played in the stadium in which an institution conducts at least 50 percent of its home contests. In addition, an institution may use one home contest against a Division I-A member conducted at a neutral site to satisfy the five-home-game requirement. (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04)
DISCLAIMER: All future schedules are unofficial until announced by the University of Oklahoma and therefore are subject to change. This information is gathered from conference, university, or local/national news media sources. The accuracy and availability of this information is dependent solely on those sources. I will make every effort to note when a game or series is not official -- short of publishing an unconfirmed rumor -- and, if possible, provide a link or reproduction of the source of that information.

OUAndy1807
9/12/2007, 10:07 PM
Doesn't look all that tough to me.

OUAndy1807
9/12/2007, 10:08 PM
also, that's 11 games, so I assume the TBA are actually bye weeks.

yermom
9/12/2007, 10:13 PM
Red September ;)

our SOS should be pretty damn good

we'll have another non-conference game to add, we always have 12 game seasons now, right?

tulsaoilerfan
9/12/2007, 10:16 PM
Red September ;)

our SOS should be pretty damn good

we'll have another non-conference game to add, we always have 12 game seasons now, right?
I would think so, and it would be a home game i'm sure

tulsaoilerfan
9/12/2007, 10:17 PM
Wow, after looking closer at that schedule, i see only the possibility of 6 home games next season? That's hard to believe.

yermom
TCU, Cincy and UW are probably all comparable at least to Big 12 teams, none of them are Utah State or North Texas

and yeah, i haven't heard anything about Pac-10 ref thing recently. i'd imagine more stink is there to be raised

SoonerBOI
also, that's 11 games, so I assume the TBA are actually bye weeks.
I stand corrected. Since we still have officiating issues with PAC 10 officials, is the Washington game in jeopardy?

tulsaoilerfan
9/12/2007, 10:24 PM
TCU, Cincy and UW are probably all comparable at least to Big 12 teams, none of them are Utah State or North Texas

and yeah, i haven't heard anything about Pac-10 ref thing recently. i'd imagine more stink is there to be raised
TCU would probably be 4th at worst in the South; i'm sure most of you can guess the 2 teams they would finish ahead of; if they were in the North, they would be contenders just about every season

silverwheels
9/12/2007, 10:29 PM
Wow, after looking closer at that schedule, i see only the possibility of 6 home games next season? That's hard to believe.

That's what happens when we're designated as the home team in the RRS--we lose a home game.

hink4769
9/12/2007, 10:36 PM
i think @Washington will be a toughie if its played, teams going on the road to the pac-10 tend to struggle. remember miami's only 2000 loss was @Washington (although that was a very good husky team). its hard to judge the 2008 schedule when the 2007 schedule is still in its infancy though, but the washington and nebraska games i think will make it tougher. plus @K-State, @A&M, and @OSU will be tougher than this year's road tests, Colorado and ISU are pitiful.

Soonerus
9/12/2007, 10:56 PM
'08 will probably be OU's strongest team in years...

yermom
9/12/2007, 10:58 PM
That's what happens when we're designated as the home team in the RRS--we lose a home game.

the Big 12 schedule is set already though, i think it has more to do with getting non-conference teams to schedule us. to get quality teams we have to go home and home (Miami, UW, Oregon, Bama, etc...)

insuranceman_22
9/12/2007, 11:03 PM
'08 will probably be OU's strongest team in years...

I agree if two things can be avoided.
1. Injury Bug
2. A lot of NFL bound players

We've got a lot coming back from this years team, if they don't jump. I believe the 08 schedule will be managable. For the record, I can definately see OU going on another several year streak of contention for a MNC.....

silverwheels
9/12/2007, 11:04 PM
the Big 12 schedule is set already though, i think it has more to do with getting non-conference teams to schedule us. to get quality teams we have to go home and home (Miami, UW, Oregon, Bama, etc...)

I know. I was just pointing out that in even-numbered years, we're only going to have 3 Big 12 home games. To get 7 home games all together, we'd have to get 4 home games for the non-conference schedule, which would mean we'd have to employ the SEC method of scheduling which is rarely doing anything difficult out of conference, especially going on the road.

r5TPsooner
9/12/2007, 11:05 PM
We should tell the Pac Ten to go F itself. I hope that OU buys out the Washington game.

Mark_of_Tulsa
9/12/2007, 11:17 PM
We should tell the Pac Ten to go F itself. I hope that OU buys out the Washington game.
I agree. If they aren't going to allow other conferences to bring in some of their officials then they can just stay home and play with themselves in the Pac-10

JohnnyMack
9/12/2007, 11:22 PM
The 09/13 is bound to be some sacrificial lamb with a directional name.

The schedule looks above average, but not one that we couldn't win 10 of the games.

yermom
9/12/2007, 11:23 PM
I know. I was just pointing out that in even-numbered years, we're only going to have 3 Big 12 home games. To get 7 home games all together, we'd have to get 4 home games for the non-conference schedule, which would mean we'd have to employ the SEC method of scheduling which is rarely doing anything difficult out of conference, especially going on the road.

i think we are basically saying the same thing ;)

it sounded like what you were saying that since we were the home team in Dallas we didn't get a home game from some rule, but it's just that it would be a home game if we didn't play in Dallas

silverwheels
9/12/2007, 11:35 PM
i think we are basically saying the same thing ;)

it sounded like what you were saying that since we were the home team in Dallas we didn't get a home game from some rule, but it's just that it would be a home game if we didn't play in Dallas

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. You know, maybe we're saying the same thing. :D

That is a pretty tough schedule, though. Good thing we're going to have the talent to conquer it. supa

Salt City Sooner
9/13/2007, 12:20 AM

The Pac-10 voted over the summer to keep their policy regarding officials in OOC games as is.

Crucifax Autumn
9/13/2007, 12:26 AM
In teir defense, the last thing the SAC-10 wants is a fair game...Can't blame 'em either - They'd lose a lot of Bowl money if they had to play OOC opponents on a level field with unbiased officials!

bosworthsteroidmafia
9/13/2007, 10:17 AM
I'm excited that Nebraska is on the season schedule again.

douxpaysan
9/13/2007, 10:48 AM
The Pac-10 voted over the summer to keep their policy regarding officials in OOC games as is.
So, I hope we keep to OUr new policy (Duck Fever Doctrine) of not scheduling teams in conferences with this prejudice. A pity as Washington would have been a good test but we don't need more bird flu.:rolleyes:

stoopified
9/13/2007, 01:24 PM
I agree. If they aren't going to allow other conferences to bring in some of their officials then they can just stay home and play with themselves in the Pac-10 :)

soonerloyal
9/13/2007, 01:42 PM
It will make the MNC Trophy that much sweeter resting in Switzer Center then, won't it?

:D

mdklatt
9/13/2007, 01:59 PM
The 09/13 is bound to be some sacrificial lamb with a directional name.

Appalachian State. :eek: