PDA

View Full Version : SAVE THE DEER!

StuIsTheMan
9/12/2007, 08:46 PM
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_091207_animals_molalla_deer_pet_.c8f24021.html

MOLALLA, Ore. -- Officials with the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife on Wednesday arrived to take two pet deer from a Molalla family.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/L_IMAGE.11432118fbd.93.88.fa.d0.c94f82a4.jpg KGW photo
Snowball, the pet deer.

Franchesca Mantei found the deformed, rare-colored black tail deer named 'Snowball' five years ago. Eventually, another deer mated with Snowball and the deer gave birth to Bucky.

But under Oregon law, the animals were being held illegally.

Mantei spent most of Wednesday morning bawling. Four Oregon State Police cars were parked in her driveway. Fish & Wildlife officials were staged nearby.

After receiving an anonymous tip that the family has been illegally keeping a wild animal as a pet, authorities descended on Mantei's Molalla property Wednesday morning to seize Snowball and Bucky, Snowball's son.
In a surprise compromise, ODFW officials granted Mantei permission to release the tame female deer onto the family's own land. But the compromise fell through Wednesday on what to do with the animals and state police arrived to take them in.
OSP troopers said they would take the deer in for a checkup and care to see if it would be possible to release them into the wild. If not, officers would try and find a wildlife sanctuary.
Because Snowball the deer cannot walk normally, it won't be able to fend for itself once released, even if it remains on the family's property, said Mantei, who has spent the last five years caring for the deer.
"Snowball released in my yard will not have a fighting chance... she can't run...with the wild critters in the area and the neighbors' dogs, she'll get mauled. She'll be dead by dark," Mantei said.
How It All Began
Snowball was on the side of the road by Mantei's house as she drove her children to school five years ago. The young deer's back legs were badly deformed, causing the hooves to cut into the skin every time the deer tried to take a step. Every two weeks for six months, Mantei took the deer to a veterinarian, who fitted it with special casts to correct the deformation, and Snowball learned to walk better.
Slideshow: Pictures of Snowball and son (http://www.kgw.com/perl/common/slideshow/sspop.pl?recid=5419&nextimage=0)
"If they can't figure out what to do with her, who can take her, they'll put her down," Mantei said, trying to hold back tears. She hopes authorities will give her enough time to locate a deer sanctuary willing to take Snowball.

"So much wasted money... all of this over a crippled little happy deer," Mantei said.

Authorities still plan to remove Bucky, the young buck with growing antlers and normal legs. Bucky will likely be re-released into the wild.

About 20 other animals, including pot-bellied pigs and turkeys, roam the Manteis' five acres.

I know most of you all are thinking dinner, but she saved the darned thing from the side of the road, for cry'n out loud. It's been a pet, let it continue to be so I say!

olevetonahill
9/12/2007, 08:56 PM
I agree
Start a petition and a Fund Drive . Im in
Thats Bull****. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Leave em alone , they aint hurtin a Damn thing !:mad:

StoopTroup
9/12/2007, 08:58 PM
Out.

Snowball is dinner.

SelmaBamaFan
9/12/2007, 09:03 PM
I know most of you all are thinking dinner,

Yep...

olevetonahill
9/12/2007, 09:06 PM
I registered and Voted 92% say leave em alone !:D
Bambis Mom would be Dead by now If it wernt for these folks !
Tell the Busybodynosey neighbors to **** off dip **** !

olevetonahill
9/12/2007, 09:07 PM
Out.

Snowball is dinner.
Fer a ****in Coyote :mad:

SelmaBamaFan
9/12/2007, 09:07 PM
vet is on a mission! :eek:

StuIsTheMan
9/12/2007, 09:08 PM
Out.

Snowball is dinner.

That's what I was thinking, you were thinking.

And Vet they have a vote on that website. That news channel is prolly the best in town for covering stories like this. And getting things done about it. And no Stoop, that don't mean going out and getting the coals started either;)

Jerk
9/12/2007, 09:40 PM
Wow! Thank God that the government is there to protect those poor people from...

.... hmmm....

Well, sh*t, I can't think of a damned thing.

Oh well, I'm sure it's something, because government knows best.

OCUDad
9/12/2007, 09:44 PM
Why do you hate little Snowball?

StoopTroup
9/13/2007, 12:31 AM
I love Snowball.

Cooked on a grill wrapped in bacon.

olevetonahill
9/13/2007, 12:36 AM
I love Snowball.

Cooked on a grill wrapped in bacon.
So your sayin you Like water and a Limp thingy ? :eek:

StoopTroup
9/13/2007, 12:37 AM
[Insert Ron White joke here]Olevet...Do you like prawn?[/IRWJH]

olevetonahill
9/13/2007, 12:39 AM
In all forms :P

StuIsTheMan
9/13/2007, 12:40 AM

heh?:pop:

IB4OU2
9/13/2007, 08:29 AM
I like huntin' deer for meat and sport but those two deer need to be left alone. Little Bucky may get pretty aggressive when the rut starts though and a buck in rut can be pretty dangerous.

soonersweetie
9/13/2007, 02:27 PM
They just need to leave them be. All that's going on in the world, or that state, and they can't manage to leave a few deer alone? That's just sad.

StuIsTheMan
9/17/2007, 12:38 AM
Well after over 100,000 phone calls and emails from people to the fish and game department...I am here to say Snowball is now back with her family...buckey will be set lose in the Mt Hood national forrest this spring. thanks to all the wrote in...this one ended good:D

olevetonahill
9/17/2007, 01:21 AM
Well after over 100,000 phone calls and emails from people to the fish and game department...I am here to say Snowball is now back with her family...buckey will be set lose in the Mt Hood national forrest this spring. thanks to all the wrote in...this one ended good:D
ended 1/2 good The young Buck that knows nuttin but Human kindess will Die in the wilds in No time !:mad:

SoonerKnight
9/17/2007, 02:40 AM
Well either the buck will learn to run from danger or......... did they release wolve's in that Nat. Forest?